• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake 'progressing'; RE 6 feedback being 'taken on board'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking in an exclusive interview, Yoshiaki Hirabayashi explained that while he doesn't "think there's much meaning in simply saying things like 'Yes, I'm confident we can [recapture the feeling of the original]", his team at Capcom is "working hard on the game at the moment and there are some reasons why I think we can recapture the spirit of the first game.

"As you mentioned, the first game's remake is held up as proof that a remaster can recapture the original game - and as it so happens, the RE GameCube remake was my first project at Capcom," he said. "I was able to learn from more experienced colleagues and see with my own eyes how they translated their efforts into such a masterpiece that built on an already well-received game," he continued. "It was an incredibly valuable experience for me.

"Also, Resident Evil 2 was the first Resident Evil I played. Everyone's experience is different but I remember how it felt to play it for the first time, and the task of bringing that to the fans all over again is a cause of daily headaches for me (laughs). Work is progressing on the game and all I can do is ask the fans to wait patiently and excited."

"Every title brings with it learning experiences," he added, "and of course I saw a lot of the feedback on Resident Evil 6 and have taken on board everything I've heard from the fans about the game and I want to show you what it taught me with through the next experience I'll be bringing to you."

The pressure isn't just on from fans, however: Resident Evil 2 programmer Hiroyuki Kobayashi also tells VideoGamer.com that he hopes Hirabayashi is able to "understand" the intentions behind the original game.

"I'd like him to really understand the intention of the original title and do his best to bring it over to the remake project!" Kobayashi said.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/resid...dback_being_taken_on_board_says_producer.html

Jawmuncher

This is giving me more questions than answers. Regardless I think RE2make being in the vein of REmake is what is best. While a mainline game (RE7) should take the combat ideas from RE6 while dialing things back for better tone/atmosphere and more tense moments.

Maxey

I really hope RE2make is basically more of the goodness of RE1make with modern high-end visuals and smart changes/additions.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The phrase of recapturing the spirit of the original game should help ease some people into realizing the remake will most likely be in old-school Resident Evil style. I have this friend who's in total denial that there's any chance this is a fixed camera angle horror game, despite me keep telling her this was probably approved because REmake HD did much better than they anticipated, and old-school horror games don't take a huge budget or team to make.

The phrase of recapturing the spirit of the original game should help ease some people into realizing the remake will most likely be in old-school Resident Evil style. I have this friend who's in total denial that there's any chance this is a fixed camera angle horror game, despite me keep telling her this was probably approved because REmake HD did much better than they anticipated, and old-school horror games don't take a huge budget or team to make.

Who says Re2 remake will have a fixd camera?

Maybe just wait before making such claims

Alavard

'RE 6 feedback being 'taken on board''

I could have sworn they said the exact same thing about RE5 feedback when developing RE6.

Anung

Un Rama
Is Capcom developing Resident Evil 7? Seems weird they're doing two "massive" RE at the same time.

They've probably been working on it for years (maybe just after 6). I reckon we'll see it this E3. I wonder what engine it's on though.

Akronis

I could have sworn they said the exact same thing about RE5 feedback when developing RE6.

And RE6 ended up being better than RE5 ;)

I think they're both great in different ways, don't kill

lol such claims. It's most likely going to be fixed camera angles like the classic styles. Everything they've said, and all the reasons for REmake 2 being a thing, point to that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Is Capcom developing Resident Evil 7? Seems weird they're doing two "massive" RE at the same time.
Erm... Resident Evil is by far their biggest franchise. Of course they are working on RE7. I sincerly hope they revamp the formula. RE6 is so fucking bad.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

No one says it is, but this is further hinting. People seem so knee-jerk to assume for some reason a remake of RE2 won't be RE2, which is fine, I understand. But it's pretty evident and even directly said that REmake 2 is happening since REmake HD did better than expected for Capcom. There's a team that's been touching up REmake and Zero that are some of the same people confirmed to be working on REmake 2. In this very interview, he talks about how they're working hard to capture the spirit of the original game, and do compare the REmake 2 project to the Rebirth (REmake 1) project.

On top of everything, making a fixed camera angle horror game is cheaper than making a behind the shoulder horror game and doesn't need as big of a team to make. This is obviously not Capcom's biggest project, and the original RE2 is one of Capcom's top selling games. I don't know why people find this so hard to swallow.

Bl@de

I believe it when I see it. Capcom always promises a lot with RE and fails to deliver since RE5.

This is capcom we are talking about so when they say they are listening to feedback that means they learned nothing and probably turn RE2 into a tps and re7 will have the same issues as re 6 imo.

Jawmuncher

I think it's safe to say that RE2 make is going to be smaller in budget compared to a mainline game. Remember it had to be pushed to get greenlit, and with the success of REmake and RE0 I think a big part of it's greenlight was that they could keep cost's down by retaining this style. That's what I think anyway.

As for RE7 wasn't there that information awhile back that said RE7 would be the first showing of capcom's new engine?

Neiteio

Is that so hard to believe? One criticism of RE5 was that it wasn't scary or atmospheric enough being set during the day. So RE6 was set mostly during the night. Also, some people missed zombies, so they brought back zombies alongside the new type of ganado/majini. In these and other ways, elements of RE6 really did seem like a reaction to feedback on RE5.

(To be clear, I thoroughly enjoy both games)

I've been nothing but pleased with Resisent Evil as a franchise lately. Capcom is doing a lot to recapture people's interest. That mostly amounts to remastering previous titles but still.

I really hope RE2make is basically more of the goodness of RE1make with modern high-end visuals and smart changes/additions.

This. Just remake the same game, no extra inspiration needed.

Follow the template created by RE1HD and RE0HD.... just do the same thing. No need for craziness.

The people who want this game the most want to experience the same classic again, at least I do....

Can't wait to see the new backgrounds, if they are the same or any better than RE0HD backgrounds we are in for a treat!

Alavard

Is that so hard to believe? One criticism of RE5 was that it wasn't scary or atmospheric enough being set during the day. So RE6 was set mostly during the night. Also, some people missed zombies, so they brought back zombies alongside the new type of ganado/majini. In these and other ways, elements of RE6 really did seem like a reaction to feedback on RE5.

(To be clear, I thoroughly enjoy both games)

From what I remember, the biggest complaints of RE5 was the tendency away from the survival-horror roots of its predecessors and toward more action combat. I think fans expected less action and not even more when Capcom talked about taking the criticisms of RE5 into account.

And for the record, I'm not taking a shot at RE5 or RE6. I probably enjoyed them equally. I'm just saying, the last time Capcom said something along these lines, the fanbase at large was probably pretty surprised by the result.

BadWolf

From what I remember, the biggest complaints of RE5 was the tendency away from the survival-horror roots of its predecessors and toward more action combat. I think fans expected less action and not even more when Capcom talked about taking the criticisms of RE5 into account.

It's difficult for them to step away from action for the mainline series when RE5 and RE6 are their best selling games of all time.

Fingers crossed 7 expands on the great combat of 6. 6 has tons of issues they should take serious, but not the combat.

Edit: I think the franchise went towards action for a while and not just with 5...

This is scaring me. Why would he consider feedback from RE6 when making this game if he was not intending on making it like that game?

danmaku

RE6 just needed a better designed single player campaign, everything else was gold, including the ridiculous story.

I guess they want to go back to a horror style, but if their idea of "horror atmosphere" is Revelations... please don't. Give me more boulder punching and exploding dinosaurs instead.

synce

If this game ends up using prerendered backgrounds the man has my undying respect. But I wouldn't mind something like RE4 either. Just for the love of god, no co-op

Maxey

What would be cheaper/easier to do: recreate the RE2 environments in very high quality pre-rendered backgrounds or 3D environments Code Veronica style?

What would be cheaper/easier to do: recreate the RE2 environments in very high quality pre-rendered backgrounds or 3D environments Code Veronica style?

I would guess 2D is much cheaper but I really don't know. I mean they could go 3D, and in some ways that would be helpful or maybe even easier in some ways?

But to get that beautiful and rich vintage CG appearance I doubt there is any other way to go than 2D. To get the same fidelity with 3D I would imagine would take a crapload of work to get an incredible lighting engine.

Capcom, don't you forget about Rev2. That game was fire, improve upon that and make it a little more tense and frightening and BAM, you got a hit.

Fingers crossed 7 expands on the great combat of 6. 6 has tons of issues they should take serious, but not the combat.

Edit: I think the franchise went towards action for a while and not just with 5...

Nobody remembers Code Veronica.

And for the record, I'm not taking a shot at RE5 or RE6. I probably enjoyed them equally. I'm just saying, the last time Capcom said something along these lines, the fanbase at large was probably pretty surprised by the result.

A major complaint was also the inclusion of co-op. I remember people losing their minds at the idea and swearing off RE altogether.

Bl@de

Capcom, don't you forget about Rev2. That game was fire, improve upon that and make it a little more tense and frightening and BAM, you got a hit.

If they want a cheap mediocre game they can do this. Or they could just look at REmake and RE2 and make a great game.

KyleCross

Hopefully the fan feedback they're taking from RE6 is that it was actually a good game, just not what people wanted. RE6 is fun, so make REmake 2 fun as well please.

If they want a cheap mediocre game they can do this. Or they could just look at REmake and RE2 and make a great game.

Look, I love the original RE games, but they contain a lot of antiquated gameplay features that don't need to be emulated. That goes far more for RE2 than REmake.

I'm not sure about it being cheaper, but real-time environments would be smarter because of the ability to share and reuse assets with other projects. If they did something pre-rendered then it'd more or less be a one-off creation.

xVodevil

This is the real horror, not knowing how all this gonna turn out...
If all fails, I'd be good with a simple HD resolution, win10 compatible RE2!
On RE7 front, I don't care if they keep it a shooter, but go real dark with scarce ammo, and let me survive, while not making me shoot trough my way the maps.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Correct or not, I think a lot of us are starting to see a "three pillar" approach for the franchise

Mainline: Action Blockbuster
REmakes: Classic mechanics presented compellingly with new technology
Revelations: Slower, smaller scale--hybrid

If this strategy is utilized, then I'm really happy with Capcom's current direction. It seems like a fan-oriented approach where the highly fractured base can find at least one product line to suit their tastes (well, probably not the entire base, but a lot of us).

A lot hangs on how this title shapes up, but so far I feel that REmake's success is the business driver for REmake 2. Hopefully they don't stray too far from what made that game work.

--ps, come see us in the community thread!

Maxey

I'm not sure about it being cheaper, but real-time environments would be smarter because of the ability to share and reuse assets with other projects. If they did something pre-rendered then it'd more or less be a one-off creation.

That's a good point. Also I suppose real-time 3D environments would be faster to iterate upon.

Bl@de

Look, I love the original RE games, but they contain a lot of antiquated gameplay features that don't need to be emulated. That goes far more for RE2 than REmake.

But isn't a remake of a classic game (especially a sequel and not standalone title) aimed at fans that liked the original? They have the action approach for Revelations and mainline games. There is no need to make the old games worse. Who bought the Remake Remaster? It's unlikely that it was the RE fans who love suplexing shit in mercenaries mode...

gconsole

I dont understand fix camera people really. How does that has anything to do with the game being scary? RE4+ havent become shooter because it change camera angle.

Why the hell are they taking on RE6 feedback? RE2 Remake should be NOTHING like RE6. The two are completely different games.

For fuck's sake Capcom; don't fuck this up. Just do for RE2 what you did for RE1. Static environments with pre-rendered graphics. Maybe a few new areas, but for the most part you're just prettying it up and polishing the mechanics. Don't you dare try to fucking turn it into a fully 3D game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom