• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake 'progressing'; RE 6 feedback being 'taken on board'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxey

Well, all I can say is I hope many of you are wrong and that isn't the direction Capcom is going. A point of a remake isn't to make an old game prettier, that's called a remaster. A remake is to take an old game and recreate it anew again. If REmake 2 is the same game as Resident Evil 2 but simply with better graphics then Capcom should be more transparent with the project so I can stop being excited for it.

Personally I'd love to play a faithful remake of RE2 with modern visuals and improved mechanics.

I think it would be cool if it RE2:R was fully 3D with static cameras (that sometimes pan around of course) like Code Veronica.

Also please add in an option after you beat the game to skip door animations if you have them please!

KyleCross

But REmake exists. A game can be remade, improved yet still remain the core of what fans liked about that release.

REmake was made in 2002, that style of game design was still relevant. So of course the game was still like that, but games aren't designed like that anymore.

Pilgrimzero

It's going to be co op able. Both Leon and Claire's stories combined into one. Much like 5 and 6.

If you expect it to not be more of the modern type, you will be disappointed.

And I say this as a fan old the old games, and RE2 being my fave Capcom isn't going to just ritz up the old game like REMake. It will be more like Leon's campaign in 6.

And hey if I'm wrong then it will be a nice surprise.

Neff

Well, all I can say is I hope many of you are wrong and that isn't the direction Capcom is going. A point of a remake isn't to make an old game prettier, that's called a remaster. A remake is to take an old game and recreate it anew again. If REmake 2 is the same game as Resident Evil 2 but simply with better graphics then Capcom should be more transparent with the project so I can stop being excited for it.

REmake is one of the most celebrated videogame remakes, if not the most celebrated, and it did this by giving the game a huge facelift and rearranging/adding content. But crucially, it didn't enforce any radical changes. As a result, it felt like a new game, but familiar enough to evoke the thrill of playing the original for the first time. That's what RE2make should aspire to.

REmake was made in 2002, that style of game design was still relevant. So of course the game was still like that, but games aren't designed like that anymore.

I'm sure that style is still relevant since the REmake remaster sold pretty good.

I think it would be cool if it RE2:R was fully 3D with static cameras (that sometimes pan around of course) like Code Veronica.

This would be fine, and I suspect is what they'll do rather than attempt to go pre-render crazy.

I admit I would love a pre-rendered game, though.

Anung

Un Rama

And? Just because that style isn't totally mainstream anymore doesn't mean that it isn't worth revisiting. REmake clearly sold well enough to give Capcom confidence enough to re-examine that style. Plus with indies and kickstarters doing there thing I think its pretty silly to suggest past styles/genres should stay dead just because of gaming modernization.

Heck, this games success could make this style of horror game viable again. You may not like that but that doesn't mean it doesn't have the right to exist.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think a lot of people who think RE2 REmake is going to be a co-op dudebro shooter don't realize that's more expensive to make than an old-school, fixed camera angle horror game.

Pay attention to how Capcom advertises its titles. When it's making a bigger budget effort, they will do more marketing for it, IE TV commercials, marketing twists, usually they have ad campaigns (RE5, RE6, Operation Raccoon City all did, most famously 'Fear we can't forget,' and 'No Hope.'). And it works, those titles sold all incredibly well, and they needed too, they were more expensive endeavors.

Now pay attention to how Capcom advertises REmake 2, and in extension, REmake HD and Zero HD. They announce them months in advance, talk more about how it's for the fans, much lower budget projects with much more modest team sizes, and as a result, not much money put into marketing; more rely on word of mouth to help them spread from old-school fans and media press on the name of the game. That's because the titles won't appeal to a mass audience, and so keep costs low to make profit back.

Old-School Horror Games don't need huge budgets or teams. RE2 REmake, if it's good as such, will sell on the existed popularity of RE and RE2. REmake HD did better than Capcom expected, thus this project came into existence. And they are advertising it like they should advertise it.

I know the proof is in the pudding, but if this were some dudebro co-op shooter, those are FAR more expensive to make, and would be 5x the budget (at least) of an old-school fixed camera horror game. Because they're modestly doing a 'fan campaign', that does imply the project isn't the hugest funded; they're meeting with fan game creators, talking about it on social feeds, and more humble small-time marketing that's more in-line with how an indie studio would try to market their title. That does speak to the budget they're probably working with, and I doubt they're making a co-op dudebro shooter with that budget.

KyleCross

And? Just because that style isn't totally mainstream anymore doesn't mean that it isn't worth revisiting. REmake clearly sold well enough to give Capcom confidence enough to re-examine that style. Plus with indies and kickstarters doing there thing I think its pretty silly to suggest past styles/genres should stay dead just because of gaming modernization.

Heck, this games success could make this style of horror game viable again. You may not like that but that doesn't mean it doesn't have the right to exist.

Well they best treat it like an indie or an HD re-release then. Release the game at a budget price and with modest sales expectations. I was fully expecting Capcom to go big budget main entry levels with this game, but maybe they are going Revelations 2's route.

Anung

Un Rama
Well they best treat it like an indie or an HD re-release then. Release the game at a budget price and with modest sales expectations. I was fully expecting Capcom to go big budget main entry levels with this game, but maybe they are going Revelations 2's route.

As Dusk Golem says above this post everything we've seen so far seems to indicate as much.

Dusk Golem

Is there some personal disdain you have for old-school survival-horror games or something? I like you Kyle, I've enjoyed talking with you in modern RE topics, but the whole, "Well they BETTER," almost makes it seem like it's somehow personally effecting you if RE2 appeals to people who liked RE2. There will be more modern RE games obviously, and as a fan of both, I can appreciate both sides. But I guess it just seems kind of weird you feel an old-school horror game must be lesser than something else.

Xpliskin

They've been saying "returning to the roots of horror" since the very first Re5 trailer.

Same pattern for all these years.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
They've been saying "returning to the roots of horror" since the very first Re5 trailer.

That trailer was pretty scary & atmospheric IIRC, I loved what they were saying about making daylight scary and being blinded by the sun etc. They obviously jettisoned all of this when they decided to make it a co-op shooter.

Until Dawn is a fantastic recent example of why fixed cameras work so well in horror games

untildawn_20150825224hbjvh.jpg

untildawn_201508260129lj06.jpg

untildawn_201508260653njrd.jpg

x2ldojapk0q.jpg

lawnpwz7xjnx.jpg

6g9l5tw23k33.jpg

untildawnlojyw.png

ggg5jlhfbk3l.jpg

ukfq86vaje4.jpg

Those are all from gameplay and not cutscenes. The atmosphere that you can create with well placed fixed camera angles simply can't be touched with some behind the back cam.

KyleCross

Is there some personal disdain you have for old-school survival-horror games or something? I like you Kyle, I've enjoyed talking with you in modern RE topics, but the whole, "Well they BETTER," almost makes it seem like it's somehow personally effecting you if RE2 appeals to people who liked RE2. There will be more modern RE games obviously, and as a fan of both, I can appreciate both sides. But I guess it just seems kind of weird you feel an old-school horror game must be lesser than something else.

No, I have nothing against the old-school REs. They're great. I am sorry if my responses in this discussion has made it seem like I'm just some grumpy "Well, that's not what I want so it's stupid!" shit. How the old games were made at the time worked, and they were great for it. But I just strongly don't believe those designs work today, and I don't think Capcom does either. That's why they were pushing for difference during RE4's troubled development.

Dusk Golem

No, I have nothing against the old-school REs. They're great. I am sorry if my responses in this discussion has made it seem like I'm just some grumpy "Well, that's not what I want so it's stupid!" shit. How the old games were made at the time worked, and they were great for it. But I just strongly don't believe those designs work today, and I don't think Capcom does either. That's why they were pushing for difference during RE4's troubled development.

That's okay, sometimes things don't send through text, why I was asking. It's all good. I think old-school horror has a place, just not for the mainstream audience. But I think it can sell decent numbers if budgeted and targeted right. Ironically the best selling old-school horror game was RE2, which sold close to 5 million copies. So if there's any old-school horror game to try and ride on nostalgia value, it'd be RE2.

Wait, people are actually expecting that the remake is going to be fixed camera along with the awkward controls that come with that? I mean, I know some diehards want that because they're attached to it and I get that... but to the point in not just "wishing" but actually full on "it's happening?" If Capcom actually does that, I hope they are embracing the fact that they're targeting this game only at the hardcore fans because that isn't going to go over well for everyone else and thus negative reviews and sales.

The classic styling didn't suffer necessarily from "archaic" design.

First, the series was getting a bit stale in what it was offering. We had two Raccoon City games, and then the next one had another mansion and regressed in the minor gameplay advancements from Nemesis.

Then the series had to deal with it's next two installments (REMAKE and Zero) on a suffering system whose shaped demographic was the furthest from who the games targeted. Zero was in yet another mansion and too close to REMAKE. On the other end, the Outbreak spinoff was once again in Raccoon City.

All the while it's sister series Dino Crisis was advancing it's gameplay greatly and Silent Hill was getting critical success with it's story approach.

Fixed camera angles isn't poor design. It's what has been done with it as the series progressed that was.

Now, something that could be done is a hybrid design, but I haven't played anything that utilizes such design to gauge how well it would work. It was one of the design approaches in proto-RE4, so it has been considered before.

Fixed angles allow for a cinematic approach without the glamour of modern cinematic approaches. Enemies such as those in RE can be set off screen or in a way that allows them to enter in an organic fashion rather than out of random doorways or cargo containers. Scares and reveals can happen on screen without pulling control or focus away from the player. It also allows for a tremendous amount of flexibility in approaching puzzles and exploration.

The place where it suffered obviously was combat, regulated generally to auto aiming a weapon with 3 vertical options while standing still. However, with dual analog controls this no longer needs to be the case. Moving and shooting can happen, but that isn't really a necessity for the tight corridors and meticulous approach. Rather, being able to flexibly aim in the same space on all planes rather than preset angles would further things greatly. Both should be possible though.

First person, isometric, third person, over the shoulder, and fixed camera angles have all had good and bad games, hill and valley periods, that have nothing to do with the viewpoint. It's what the devs do with it that speaks to the quality.

It also wouldn't hurt if Capcom actually markets REMAKE2 in a similar scale as RE5 and 6. Few third party and even first party titles receive such, and those games and other similar efforts such as Destiny and The Division show how much that matters.

LUXURY

Seeing Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 6 mentioned in the same sentence is almost coma inducing. Please let them do it right. Please.

Until Dawn is a fantastic recent example of why fixed cameras work so well in horror games

x2ldojapk0q.jpg

lawnpwz7xjnx.jpg

6g9l5tw23k33.jpg

untildawnlojyw.png

ggg5jlhfbk3l.jpg

ukfq86vaje4.jpg

Those are all from gameplay and not cutscenes. The atmosphere that you can create with well placed fixed camera angles simply can't be touched with some behind the back cam.

Seriously. This a million times.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think RE2make being in the vein of REmake is what is best.

Thread over. Everyone at Capcom go ho--

While a mainline game (RE7) should take the combat ideas from RE6

-- *record scratch* Thread not over. Everyone at Capcom come on back.

You see that second bit? Don't listen to it. Go back to Bio1-3's style, okay? Okay.

Now you can go home and get back to work on Bio2 HD.

Dusk Golem

Is there any way this is released this year or this is definitely a 2017 game right?

It is probably going to be 2017, BUT it's not impossible for it to be 2016. The project was announced to be in development last August, so it's been 8 months since it was announced. REmake, the original for Gamecube, took 13-14 months to make from conceptualization to release with a medium-small team (the credits for REmake aren't that long). Old-School horror games weren't that time consuming to make compared to other 3D games for a few reasons; a lot of the older RE games took longer since they'd get partial builds finished for a version of the game, then scrap it and start all over (most infamously for RE2). So it is possible this could release late 2016, but early/mid 2017 is more likely.

Shifty

Thing thing that sticks out to me is them taking feedback from RE6 and applying it to RE2make.

'Make it more horror and less action' doesn't really apply given the source material, and neither does 'fix the shit pacing and encounter design'.

What would be cheaper/easier to do: recreate the RE2 environments in very high quality pre-rendered backgrounds or 3D environments Code Veronica style?

Pre-rendered would cost more art time due to the increase in environment quality, whereas real-time 3D would cost more code time due to increased implementation complexity and optimization time.
That said, some degree of high-quality asset creation is going to need to happen regardless, so 2D would probably work out cheaper.

On the point of reusable assets, you can reuse them regardless of whether you go pre-rendered or realtime. There may be some extra time required for simplifying assets if they need to go from pre-rendered super high quality to our-game-engine-can-render-this-at-60, but that's still a saving over making new ones from scratch.

They can make it fully 3D and still feature the same fixed cameras and gameplay.

In fact something I'd love them to do is an endgame unlockable mode where you can replay a modified version of the game with RE6 controls and camera.

I'd love to see a variant of RE2 Extreme Battle/Mercenaries that keeps the fixed camera angles and tank controls but integrates some RE6 combat mechanics. Ducks, dive-rolls, counters and such. It's an unholy fusion that I think could work.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Thread over. Everyone at Capcom go ho--

-- *record scratch* Thread not over. Everyone at Capcom come on back.

You see that second bit? Don't listen to it. Go back to Bio1-3's style, okay? Okay.

Now you can go home and get back to work on Bio2 HD.

God forbid people like something you don't. Going back to RE1/2 style would be such a step back for 7. RE was always moving towards action co-op, and it's reached an incredible level of awesome mechanics that could and should be fomented and allowed to shine with a better campaign than RE6's.

God forbid people like something you don't. Going back to RE1/2 style would be such a step back for 7. RE was always moving towards action co-op, and it's reached an incredible level of awesome mechanics that could and should be fomented and allowed to shine with a better campaign than RE6's.
Is that a Twin Snakes avatar you're sporting Snake? *

* not meant to be taken seriously, its all vidya gamz after all.

Bergerac

Nowhere in RE1, 2, 3, CV, Remake or even 0 was RE moving towards action Co-Op - the whole point was that you were alone. It's a basic tenet of the horror genre. It's a horror franchise. If they wanted to make a Co-Op action romp all they had to do was change the title of the game - because that's such an effortless change in comparison to taking RE1 and somehow gradually transforming it into RE6.

I'm certainly a supporter of evolution - but the point is to evolve the core of what something was. Not remove that core and replace it with something unrecognisable. That's not an evolution.

Plasma

Banned

Judging by how well the re-release of REmake did that style of game design is still relevant even now.

TyrantII

Capcom very much mismanaged their RE IP with moving to Ninyendo exclusively at first. REmake sold extreemly well, and still has to this day.

There's still plenty of demand to horror adventure games if they're done right, and if they push the medium forward. Cheap cash-ins obviously won't do well, but the same can be said for third person over the shoulder shooters.

joe2187

Banned
While I don't want RE2 REmake to be RE6 obviously (even as someone who decently liked RE6), that's definitely not true.

Just some misc screens I had mainly from Ada's campaign from the last time I played.

Here are some better screens that illustrate how Capcom can already make gorgeous 3D detailed enviroments suited for a fixed camera type game.

Screens taken from Gaf user Antitrops

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Is that a Twin Snakes avatar you're sporting Snake? *

* not meant to be taken seriously, its all vidya gamz after all.

It is not.
I'm okay with Twin Snakes, tho. Don't get the hate.

Nowhere in RE1, 2, 3, CV, Remake or even 0 was RE moving towards action Co-Op - the whole point was that you were alone. It's a basic tenet of the horror genre. It's a horror franchise. If they wanted to make a Co-Op action romp all they had to do was change the title of the game - because that's such an effortless change in comparison to taking RE1 and somehow gradually transforming it into RE6.

I'm certainly a supporter of evolution - but the point is to evolve the core of what something was. Not remove that core and replace it with something unrecognisable. That's not an evolution.

The original game was supposed to be co-op and early on RE0 was as well. Capcpom is prone to reusing/revisiting ideas. (See boat outbreak scenario from the original Bio3 in Gaiden, Dead Aim and REvelations, Castle!Bio4 beats/assets in RE5/LiN, etc.)

And you can definitely see the evolution to more action based as early as RE3, with way more ammo (to the point you can make your own) and dodging mechanics. RE4 was basically RE3 from over the shoulder with melee when enemies were stunned. Even RE2 was way more arcade-y and action-y than RE1. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be classic style games, I'd love it if there were more classic style games, not just the remakes (And RE2make should definitely be classic style). But to discard all the good things from RE6 going forward would be a disservice to the series.

They could do great things with a dynamic camera like CVX, which was already proven in the first minutes of Dino Crisis. Whether it is dynamic or prerendered, it just shouldn't be over-the-shoulder, nor make it a shooter by giving shooting controls. That simply can't correlate with the classic gameplay and atmosphere.

Bergerac

Here are some better screens that illustrate how Capcom can already make gorgeous 3D detailed enviroments suited for a fixed camera type game.

Screens taken from Gaf user Antitrops

That's a redundant proposition. The cause to use a fixed camera is to use a 2D asset that will look better than any 3D asset. If the assets are 3D there's no need for the fixed camera.

The original game was supposed to be co-op and early on RE0 was as well. Capcpom is prone to reusing/revisiting ideas. (See boat outbreak scenario from the original Bio3 in Gaiden, Dead Aim and REvelations, Castle!Bio4 beats/assets in RE5/LiN, etc.)

And you can definitely see the evolution to more action based as early as RE3, with way more ammo (to the point you can make your own) and dodging mechanics. RE4 was basically RE3 from over the shoulder with melee when enemies were stunned. Even RE2 was way more arcade-y and action-y than RE1. I'm not saying that there shouldn't be classic style games, I'd love it if there were more classic style games, not just the remakes (And RE2make should definitely be classic style). But to discard all the good things from RE6 going forward would be a disservice to the series.

In fairness I am splitting hairs slightly with my point, but RE0 was never intended to be action, and RE3 was never intended to be Co-Op. Therefore the whole idea of 'action Co-Op' as a singular concept was not something the series was headed towards for a very long time. That's what I'm saying.

Sesha

The Leon/Helena campaign really should have been a separate game from the rest of RE6. By not being tied to the rest of RE6's design philosophy they could have avoided stupid garbage like overuse of QTEs, the shark or Deborah.

x2ldojapk0q.jpg

lawnpwz7xjnx.jpg

6g9l5tw23k33.jpg

untildawnlojyw.png

ggg5jlhfbk3l.jpg

ukfq86vaje4.jpg

I'm sad we never got a classic style RE set in a snowy mountain. Something like Until Dawn meets Bloodborne's
Cainhurst Castle

x2ldojapk0q.jpg

lawnpwz7xjnx.jpg

6g9l5tw23k33.jpg

untildawnlojyw.png

ggg5jlhfbk3l.jpg

ukfq86vaje4.jpg

Thank you.

I think this game serves as proof that this style of fixed camera exploration is still relevant today. It was a big game and it did really well. Going through scary hallways and all the broken down interiors definitely gave me hope for a classic RE in current gen.

Shin-Ra

RE zombies and other mutations (less sludgy shits please) shouldn't be encouraging direct melee attacks. Severely stunned enemies perhaps but running into the face of a monster should result in a serious bite, scratch, slice or poke.

The classic styling didn't suffer necessarily from "archaic" design.

First, the series was getting a bit stale in what it was offering. We had two Raccoon City games, and then the next one had another mansion and regressed in the minor gameplay advancements from Nemesis.

Then the series had to deal with it's next two installments (REMAKE and Zero) on a suffering system whose shaped demographic was the furthest from who the games targeted. Zero was in yet another mansion and too close to REMAKE. On the other end, the Outbreak spinoff was once again in Raccoon City.

All the while it's sister series Dino Crisis was advancing it's gameplay greatly and Silent Hill was getting critical success with it's story approach.

Fixed camera angles isn't poor design. It's what has been done with it as the series progressed that was.

Now, something that could be done is a hybrid design, but I haven't played anything that utilizes such design to gauge how well it would work. It was one of the design approaches in proto-RE4, so it has been considered before.

Fixed angles allow for a cinematic approach without the glamour of modern cinematic approaches. Enemies such as those in RE can be set off screen or in a way that allows them to enter in an organic fashion rather than out of random doorways or cargo containers. Scares and reveals can happen on screen without pulling control or focus away from the player. It also allows for a tremendous amount of flexibility in approaching puzzles and exploration.

The place where it suffered obviously was combat, regulated generally to auto aiming a weapon with 3 vertical options while standing still. However, with dual analog controls this no longer needs to be the case. Moving and shooting can happen, but that isn't really a necessity for the tight corridors and meticulous approach. Rather, being able to flexibly aim in the same space on all planes rather than preset angles would further things greatly. Both should be possible though.

First person, isometric, third person, over the shoulder, and fixed camera angles have all had good and bad games, hill and valley periods, that have nothing to do with the viewpoint. It's what the devs do with it that speaks to the quality.

It also wouldn't hurt if Capcom actually markets REMAKE2 in a similar scale as RE5 and 6. Few third party and even first party titles receive such, and those games and other similar efforts such as Destiny and The Division show how much that matters.

+1

Give me my fixed isometric angles and no one will die.

Gren

Thing thing that sticks out to me is them taking feedback from RE6 and applying it to RE2make.

'Make it more horror and less action' doesn't really apply given the source material, and neither does 'fix the shit pacing and encounter design'.

Seeing how they singled out RE6 feedback as a source of guidance, it kind of leaves me with the feeling that this will have a free-moving camera like modern REs, but with far less emphasis on action.

Hopefully my intuition is all wrong & it ends up as fixed-perspective. RE7 will no doubt be over-the-shoulder 3D, so I'd prefer if they could accommodate both styles of play rather than just one.

They can work today in the same way people can appreciate megaman 9 and 10. its a formula that people just want more of and thats been missing for a long time. i consider classic RE to be another genre altogether and fundamentally different than its modern entries. your avatar reminds me of how great dq8 was and how it played off of classic design philosophies.

News Bot

Banned
The original game was supposed to be co-op and early on RE0 was as well.

This is false. It's a strange guess that was based exclusively on a video showing Jill and Chris together. But this is just an NPC following the player, which actually still happens in the game, albeit briefly. The original intention was simply to have the NPC follow the player for a larger portion of the game. It was never two player. BIO2 and BIO3 use it too.

danmaku

This. If you want your dumb zombie borefest, that's great, you can have it. But don't take away my dumb action explosionfest, because RE6 was hilarious and I want more.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
This is false. It's a strange guess that was based exclusively on a video showing Jill and Chris together. But this is just an NPC following the player, which actually still happens in the game, albeit briefly. The original intention was simply to have the NPC follow the player for a larger portion of the game. It was never two player. BIO2 and BIO3 use it too.

Well, I stand corrected. At least I know for a fact that N64!Bio0 had co-op planned.

My point may not stand as it is but I could say that "the whole point was that you were alone" is not exactly accurate, but eh, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom