• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake 'progressing'; RE 6 feedback being 'taken on board'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Thread over. Everyone at Capcom go ho--

-- *record scratch* Thread not over. Everyone at Capcom come on back.

You see that second bit? Don't listen to it. Go back to Bio1-3's style, okay? Okay.

Now you can go home and get back to work on Bio2 HD.

You don't drop 7+ million buyers from RE4 and up and force them back to the old style. The series has to offer something to both fan bases. Not drop one for the other. Offering both old style games and new games in the action style is how you do it.

But too many people seem to think it has to be one or the other.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It really is so simple though, just redo the game with amazing visuals JUST like REmake, it's a no-brainer. The game will sell millions, because that original fan base is thirsty. The Nostalgia market is massive, and RE2 is still a great game. The atmosphere, the puzzles, the different paths, etc.

cjw

Neo Member
+1 for Until Dawn style camera angles.

I wonder how they'll implement the shooting mechanics with fixed camera angles. The shooting in RE: Remake can be unreliable and problematic. I'd expect a better solution in a modern game, so I'm sure they'll figure something out if they do indeed go with a fixed camera setup.

+1 for Until Dawn style camera angles.

I wonder how they'll implement the shooting mechanics with fixed camera angles. The shooting in RE: Remake can be unreliable and problematic. I'd expect a better solution in a modern game, so I'm sure they'll figure something out if they do indeed go with a fixed camera setup.

Laser sights, a staple in the modern series, can be used in conjunction with free aiming with the right stick. This couldn't be implemented before due to the c stick placement on the Cube and not able to retool the game in budget in that fashion with the REmasters. They can do that freely now with REmake2 as dual analog is the norm. Ammunition would have to probably be scarcer than in the original (which was already generous) to balance, but it can open up combat options between that and the additional inputs now available on controllers.

Riposte

I hope "REmake 2" is exactly what that name implies, otherwise it comes off as completely unnecessary, if not redundant in many ways.

I also hope Capcom doesn't think the Leon campaign is better than the Chris one for RE6.

But in RE6 you can comfortably run right up and punch/kick an unstunned zombie.

This is generally a bad idea unless the zombie is relatively alone and you are playing on the easier difficulties (Normal and under). There are many enemies in which this is inefficient with stamina, if not ineffectual outright, as zombies are the scrub tier enemies (as is the case with many games) that rely on numbers or distractions, especially with dive grabs.

Blueblur1

I'm hoping the game plays just like REmake and RE0 with new content sprinkled in just like how the REmake Dev team did so with REmake. It would be awesome to see the zap system make it in and have the first play through impact the second in more ways. And I really hope they include at least one set of alternate costumes before they charge you for others. Oh, and it would be a nice bonus if they included 4th Survivor minigame and the Extreme Battle minigame from RE 2 Dual Shock Version.

Nerrel

Well, all I can say is I hope many of you are wrong and that isn't the direction Capcom is going. A point of a remake isn't to make an old game prettier, that's called a remaster. A remake is to take an old game and recreate it anew again. If REmake 2 is the same game as Resident Evil 2 but simply with better graphics then Capcom should be more transparent with the project so I can stop being excited for it.

The point of a remake also isn't to bastardize the original game in order to appease a wider audience.

REmake is often regarded as the single best remake in gaming history. Obviously, "making the game prettier" worked back then. You talk about better graphics as if it's some trivial thing, but atmosphere and realism are critically important in a game like this. If your character is a block of polygons that sheds square pixel blood, it reduces your immersion and fear compared to a game that has photorealistic visuals and convincing characters and enemies. Believing that your environments are real, that your enemies are real, and that the violence on screen is real is key to the horror. This is a big part of why REmake is so celebrated; it took a game that had aged terribly and made it impacting and immersive again.

That was going from PS1 to GC.... this game will be going from PS1 to PS4. The leap in visual fidelity will be much greater this time. Even if the keep the same basic gameplay intact and just overhaul the visuals and effects, it will feel like a different game.

And besides, it's not as if they can't add new areas and expand the original content with fixed cameras. REmake did this in a way that everyone seems to approve of. Just because it's the same gameplay style doesn't mean there isn't room for some innovations.

And another aside... why does it need to be a different game anyway, again? It's regarded as one of the best ever made and is maybe the most beloved in the series. What would be wrong with getting the same thing with prettier graphics and a more immersive presentation? Assuming of course that you actually are a fan of the game and not one of the newer fans who only plays the over the shoulder entries... then butts into every REmake2 thread talking about the game should be remade for them instead of the actual fans.

REmake was made in 2002, that style of game design was still relevant.

And it's remaster set a record for the fastest selling game on PSN and went to over a million sold within a weekend. Obviously, it still is.

Ganondorfo

If the Resident Evil 2 remake is progressing well, why dont they show some screenshots, so we can all judge and have and opinion about it? I mean they are maybe 40% in development time with the RE2 remake, so they could show some screens?

The same can be said about Resident Evil 7, they havent shown anything about it... While other developers at this stage would already show a teaser.

If the Resident Evil 2 remake is progressing well, why dont they show some screenshots, so we can all judge and have and opinion about it? I mean they are maybe 40% in development time with the RE2 remake, so they could show some screens?

The same can be said about Resident Evil 7, they havent shown anything about it... While other developers at this stage would already show a teaser.

Because this isn't crowdfunded so they have no need to give you a day by day report on its progress. And the game only started development last year, os I very much doubt they're anywhere near 40% complete with it.

REmake2 is further out than that.

Progressing well doesn't necessarily mean it's already in a well functioning/finalized art state. The development could be going smoothly (which isn't something the series is known for) or concepts are moving forward well in gameplay. I'd be surprised if there's any stable form of the game out there currently. RE7 is likely ready if not close to a debut, but it seems they are making a bigger show out of it than usual.

If anything, look at the Mass Effect Andromeda leak. Most core gamers even here can't grasp the concept of proto-states. Couple that to many studios now revealing projects close to their estimated release, and it's not surprising that RE7 is still under wraps.

RSB

Banned
This is giving me more questions than answers. Regardless I think RE2make being in the vein of REmake is what is best. While a mainline game (RE7) should take the combat ideas from RE6 while dialing things back for better tone/atmosphere and more tense moments.
Yep, as a fan of both styles, this is exactly what I want.

Nerrel

The last thing they want to do is show some rough, early development shots of the game and have everyone say it looks underwhelming. They should show it off when they have something that represents the quality of the final game... it's not like we haven't already waited nearly two decades for this. We can wait a few months for some screenshots.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'll believe it when I see it.

After RE6 I refuse to get excited.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Survival horror. Survival horror and survival horror. Do this. Do not do an action game pretending it is survival horror game. Thank you.

Xpliskin

I also hope Capcom doesn't think the Leon campaign is better than the Chris one for RE6.
this-cannot-be-real.gif

I don't envy the decisions these guys will be making given the vitriol that probably heads their way from one side or another. Just give me a new RE2, either style. Action-oriented or old-school styles both work for me, so I'm among those who will likely dig whatever they have coming up. Just don't phone it in production value-wise.

RootCause

How does RE6 control? I hate just about everything about them in Revelations 2. Amazing how they borked that one, after how well the first one controls.

As for RE2, REmake like gameplay with large environments, and eye-melting graphics are all I need.

They can make it fully 3D and still feature the same fixed cameras and gameplay.

In fact something I'd love them to do is an endgame unlockable mode where you can replay a modified version of the game with RE6 controls and camera.

Why would you want to play using RE6's camera? Its probably the worst camera of any game I've ever played.

The camera adds a lot to RE2's atmosphere, but a behind the back camera system doesn't necessarily mean it's no longer a horror game or that it's suddenly RE4. We've reached a point where heavily atmospheric locations with impressive graphics are capable of being rendered in real time.

Furthermore, I don't see how it would be cheaper. Fixed or not, the locations will be rendered in 3D and have to be viewed from multiple angles. Don't freak out if an attempt to make the game appear more "modern" results in a different camera system; it can still be re2.

However, I don't know if I trust capcom enough to believe that's what they're doing.

A remaster is just a fancy port. A remake can be anything, but remaking a game from the ground up with better graphics is a "remake." That doesn't mean it can't have improvements or changes, as obviously the remake did. I would hope no one considers the GameCube game to be a "remaster."

How does RE6 control? I hate just about everything about them in Revelations 2. Amazing how they borked that one, after how well the first one controls.

As for RE2, REmake like gameplay with large environments, and eye-melting graphics are all I need.

What ? Revelations 2 feels absolutely fantastic to control . It's probably the second best feeling TPS after MGS V .

RE 6 feels almost as good.

Edit: Uncharted's controls are dogshit in comparison.

Grief.exe

I am hoping for isometric view, but real time rendered environments as opposed to pre rendered.

That would mean easier scaling to 4K/8K and more revenue to Capcom through cheaper ports down the line.

RootCause

What ? Revelations 2 feels absolutely fantastic to control . It's probably the second best feeling TPS after MGS V .

RE 6 feels almost as good.

Edit: Uncharted's controls are dogshit in comparison.
I'm sorry, but it control like shit compared to the likes of RE4, and Revelations. And the animations look beyond terrible, looks like an amateur made them. Theres no fluidity to it. Revs 2 is such a step back from the original.

When I think of good third person controls I think if the likes of Gears, TLOU, Dead Space, RE4, and Revs.

Astral

I don't think RE will ever go back to being pure survival horror. I wouldn't mind RE6 in 7 as long as the rest is good too. The gameplay was definitely not the reason I hated 6. The overabundance of QTEs, the garbage boss battles, the level design, some stupid cover system; none of that shit was good. I'd love it if they made it a focus to overwhelm you with numbers. They can't go back to old-school while having RE6's combat. You'd wreck everything. I think adding lots of smart enemies with NO GUNS would make it pretty tense.

Nerrel

The camera adds a lot to RE2's atmosphere, but a behind the back camera system doesn't necessarily mean it's no longer a horror game or that it's suddenly RE4. We've reached a point where heavily atmospheric locations with impressive graphics are capable of being rendered in real time.

Furthermore, I don't see how it would be cheaper. Fixed or not, the locations will be rendered in 3D and have to be viewed from multiple angles. Don't freak out if an attempt to make the game appear more "modern" results in a different camera system; it can still be re2.

Fixed cameras give the developers control and focus over what they're showing you. They don't necessarily have to worry about all of the surrounding environment and how the player interacts with it. It's a little like an on-rails game in that sense, only with even more control.

For the players, a fixed camera is better in that it simply delivers more atmosphere on the face of it. Those RE6 shots posted a while ago demonstrate how much more powerful some of the same scenes can be with dramatic framing- even though I still think a lot of it looks like trash. But a big part of the problem with RE6 was stretching things too thin and not putting enough focus into the details of any specific area. A fixed camera game allows them to have a much more intimate level of focus on each and every pixel.

Every camera angle has to be meticulously arranged and framed. There's an element of composition that the developers have to consider, and when you look back at the older games, you can see how effective Capcom were in utilizing those angles for dramatic effect. The games simply wouldn't have the same charm or impact with full 3D environments and a dynamic camera, even if the environments managed to look identical to the 2D renders otherwise.

From a gameplay standpoint, no enemy encounter is going to work the same way in over the shoulder and the game would have to be completely thrown out and developed all over again. It would not be RE2. I'm not opposed to occasional over the shoulder segments where they make sense and suit the action better- I can imagine the Birkin fights benefiting from this, making his arm-eyeball a weak point- but it would have to be limited only to action segments, not the general gameplay.

I don't think RE will ever go back to being pure survival horror.

Which is exactly why this game needs to be a fixed camera horror game. We're doubtlessly getting more over the shoulder games from now on, this doesn't need to be one as well.

The best solution in my opinion would be to use real time 3D environments so they can include game modes for both fixed camera angles and over the shoulder camera. This would please old schoolers and newcomers alike.

Enemy weak points could play an important role in over the shoulder mode to make shooting more challenging. Torso shots with pistols on zombies for example would simply punch holes through them and not slow them down at all. Shotguns could push them back one step. Leg shots can be used to trip them and only headshots count towards damage. This is to counterbalance the slow movement of zombies so encounters doesn't become too easy.

in classic mode this would handle as in the originals.

News Bot

Banned
The best solution in my opinion would be to use real time 3D environments so they can include game modes for both fixed camera angles and over the shoulder camera. This would please old schoolers and newcomers alike.

Enemy weak points could play an important role in over the shoulder mode to make shooting more challenging. Torso shots with pistols on zombies for example would simply punch holes through them and not slow them down at all. Shotguns could push them back one step. Leg shots can be used to trip them and only headshots count towards damage. This is to counterbalance the slow movement of zombies so encounters doesn't become too easy.

in classic mode this would handle as in the originals.

While this sounds appealing, in practice it would be a total mess with a legion of balancing and disorientation issues.

While this sounds appealing, in practice it would be a total mess with a legion of balancing and disorientation issues.

Do you mean balancing issues between the two modes? If so, I'm not so sure.

Classic mode would still count damage on torso hits and headshots would have a % of happening depending on aiming, weapon and distance. That mode would be truthful and unchanged because it works well with slow moving targets and its limited aiming capabilities.

The additions made to combat in 'over the shoulder mode' would be exclusive to that mode, simply to counteract the freedom of aiming and make it harder to down an enemy, as such targets would otherwise pose no threat.

Sure, this would result in two quite different experiences, but it would also give the game more replay value.

Now, I'm no developer, but I have a feeling this is the simplest way to appeal to all fans while keeping creation of assets/code between the modes at a minimum.

The 'over the shoulder mode' would be the main focus of development. Classic mode would thereafter need custom camera placements, but as the 3D environments are already created it's just a matter of choosing scenic angles with the original game as reference. Animations, collisions and effects can be shared. Damage, hit % and controls would need tweaking though.

I'm surely overlooking some aspects in the process here but would this be feasible?

Neff

Capcom has made a habit of not showing (or even revealing) its last few RE titles until they're almost ready to release. They may change in RE2make's case because we know it's coming well in advance, but I'm guessing they want to have enough of the game to show to really blow us away.

News Bot

Banned
The 'over the shoulder mode' would be the main focus of development.

You can't focus on one over the other. Lost in Nightmares is a prime example of why you simply cannot have both. The fixed cameras become nothing more than a game-breaking novelty, as you cannot aim well at all. You're forcing people who want fixed cameras to constantly use the over the shoulder camera, and vice versa for exploration.

They were able to get away with it in the Castle version of BIO4 because you had no precise aiming and enemies took the same damage on the same areas regardless of what method you used to shoot them. The over the shoulder view was used solely as a means to get around camera angles obscuring enemies from view, a common criticism of previous titles.

Fixed cameras give the developers control and focus over what they're showing you. They don't necessarily have to worry about all of the surrounding environment and how the player interacts with it. It's a little like an on-rails game in that sense, only with even more control.

For the players, a fixed camera is better in that it simply delivers more atmosphere on the face of it. Those RE6 shots posted a while ago demonstrate how much more powerful some of the same scenes can be with dramatic framing- even though I still think a lot of it looks like trash. But a big part of the problem with RE6 was stretching things too thin and not putting enough focus into the details of any specific area. A fixed camera game allows them to have a much more intimate level of focus on each and every pixel.

Every camera angle has to be meticulously arranged and framed. There's an element of composition that the developers have to consider, and when you look back at the older games, you can see how effective Capcom were in utilizing those angles for dramatic effect. The games simply wouldn't have the same charm or impact with full 3D environments and a dynamic camera, even if the environments managed to look identical to the 2D renders otherwise.

From a gameplay standpoint, no enemy encounter is going to work the same way in over the shoulder and the game would have to be completely thrown out and developed all over again. It would not be RE2. I'm not opposed to occasional over the shoulder segments where they make sense and suit the action better- I can imagine the Birkin fights benefiting from this, making his arm-eyeball a weak point- but it would have to be limited only to action segments, not the general gameplay.

Which is exactly why this game needs to be a fixed camera horror game. We're doubtlessly getting more over the shoulder games from now on, this doesn't need to be one as well.

I understand what you're saying, but when I think of resident evil, I can't recall any rooms where the developers hid a certain wall from you, etc, because each room and hallway featured different angles. Maybe an outer terrace? Furthermore, as they work in the game, they're likely going to want the freedom to make adjustments.

I do believe the fixed angles added to the atmosphere of the games and that something will be lost without them. And I would prefer them to be like outbreak or code veronica - fixed, but with a moving camera. However, I don't think all is lost if they go with behind the back. Siren, for example was released a year before re4 with a similar camera system, but was a very effective horror game.

But it's actually the thought of boss fights that give me pause. Being able to run around the bosses is made easier with a 3rd person camera.

Nerrel

I do believe the fixed angles added to the atmosphere of the games and that something will be lost without them.

Here's the problem: if Capcom is genuinely capable of pulling off horror in over the shoulder... why haven't we seen it yet? Both Revelations games were designed to appeal to the horror fanbase as an alternative to the more action oriented core entries. Neither one came anywhere near the quality of the first three titles. So... why should we believe that Capcom redesigning the game in over the shoulder will work out here?

There are so many things that change when swapping the perspective. Your visibility is totally different: the idea of hearing enemies off-screen without knowing where they are would be jettisoned. There are a few licker scares in the RPD (both on the balconies of the RPD hall) that would be ruined in particular, where you'd be able to see the licker easily from a distance instead of blindly running straight into them.

Combat would also be totally different. Positioning would no longer be as important, as you'd be able to just shoot from any distance. In the original, you had to be close to a licker to kill it. With over the shoulder, why would you ever go within striking distance of one? You could always run away from an enemy, turn around and shoot it comfortably if you had the ability to free-aim, and unless they dramatically redesign the RPD (which no one wants), that will harm the gameplay. Think about it... how often did you run straight up to a licker in RE5? Did you pick them off from a safe distance, or run right up to them and leave yourself vulnerable before firing? Dogs would be shooting fish in a barrel, since they mostly appear in tight corridors and hitting them with free aim would be a cinch.

In fixed camera, you had to know the "zones" you could fire in. To hit a dog nearby, you had to aim down, but to hit them from a distance you had to fire straight. Knowing exactly when to aim which way was the difference between a dog tackling you or landing the shot. The same goes for lickers, which crawled with a low profile and forced you to aim downwards. There was a skill and tension in waiting for one to get near enough so you could blast it with a shotgun. Over the shoulder would ruin all of this.

The game was designed around fixed camera, and often it wouldn't translate to over the shoulder well. Think about how improbable wedging a game made for one perspective into another and having everything still work is, and how unlikely it is that they'd be able to make it work without redesigning all of the encounters for the new camera and aiming system. As I said above, it wouldn't be RE2, even if it's a good game on its own.

We've waited too long for REmake 2 to get a different game. Let a new game use the over the shoulder camera. This game doesn't need to be ruined by wedging its environments, enemies, and general gameplay into a totally different control style. I say that as a huge fan of RE4. I can see some amount of novelty in playing RE2 that way, but I just don't see why. Outside of the dated visuals, the game works as it is, just as REmake still works.

RE4 is a masterpiece.
RE5 is a great game alone or in co-op. I love the airboat/alligator level.
RE6 is a great co-op action game, but in single player, it sort of sucked.

Looking forward to RE7 and RE2Remake.

Here's the problem: if Capcom is genuinely capable of pulling off horror in over the shoulder... why haven't we seen it yet? Both Revelations games were designed to appeal to the horror fanbase as an alternative to the more action oriented core entries. Neither one came anywhere near the quality of the first three titles. So... why should we believe that Capcom redesigning the game in over the shoulder will work out here?

There are so many things that change when swapping the perspective. Your visibility is totally different: the idea of hearing enemies off-screen without knowing where they are would be jettisoned. There are a few licker scares in the RPD (both on the balconies of the RPD hall) that would be ruined in particular, where you'd be able to see the licker easily from a distance instead of blindly running straight into them.

Combat would also be totally different. Positioning would no longer be as important, as you'd be able to just shoot from any distance. In the original, you had to be close to a licker to kill it. With over the shoulder, why would you ever go within striking distance of one? You could always run away from an enemy, turn around and shoot it comfortably if you had the ability to free-aim, and unless they dramatically redesign the RPD (which no one wants), that will harm the gameplay. Think about it... how often did you run straight up to a licker in RE5? Did you pick them off from a safe distance, or run right up to them and leave yourself vulnerable before firing? Dogs would be shooting fish in a barrel, since they mostly appear in tight corridors and hitting them with free aim would be a cinch.

In fixed camera, you had to know the "zones" you could fire in. To hit a dog nearby, you had to aim down, but to hit them from a distance you had to fire straight. Knowing exactly when to aim which way was the difference between a dog tackling you or landing the shot. The same goes for lickers, which crawled with a low profile and forced you to aim downwards. There was a skill and tension in waiting for one to get near enough so you could blast it with a shotgun. Over the shoulder would ruin all of this.

The game was designed around fixed camera, and often it wouldn't translate to over the shoulder well. Think about how improbable wedging a game made for one perspective into another and having everything still work is, and how unlikely it is that they'd be able to make it work without redesigning all of the encounters for the new camera and aiming system. As I said above, it wouldn't be RE2, even if it's a good game on its own.

We've waited too long for REmake 2 to get a different game. Let a new game use the over the shoulder camera. This game doesn't need to be ruined by wedging its environments, enemies, and general gameplay into a totally different control style. I say that as a huge fan of RE4. I can see some amount of novelty in playing RE2 that way, but I just don't see why. Outside of the dated visuals, the game works as it is, just as REmake still works.

If Capcom isn't capable of pulling off horror without fixed camera angles, they're not capable with them. I don't see Code Veronica as an effective horror title, despite its adherence to the series' traditions. Moreover, the problems related to the Revelations titles aren't due to the camera. They're due to action episodes within the game (endless hunters), poor/shallow adventure game design (puzzles), general roughness, etc. But I think there were horror moments that shined within each title that hint at a Capcom that can pull of a horror game had they been given the time, budget, and free reign to do so.

There was nothing preventing you from aiming from afar within Resident Evil 2. In fact, auto aim made it more or less a sure hit, whereas with a free aiming system, you would actually have to aim at the dogs that weave around the hallways. For example, I frequently aim at the dogs in the basement hallway from afar. It's primarily the level design's twisting turning hallways that prevented you from being able to snipe everything. It's true that the aiming system can create tension at times in RE2, but I have a hard time believing that the ambiguity caused by the 3 angle aiming system was intentional. Rather, it's something to be excused. I personally don't think, even within the context of a punishing horror game, aiming dead zones are good game design.

But that doesn't mean that a similar sense of tension cannot exist within a remade RE2. Enemy movement can be modified. The range and accuracy of heavy weapons can be limited (shotgun, grenade launcher, etc). Level design can be modified to force you to come into close contact with dangerous enemies, such as lickers. And new reasons for tension in combat can be created. Which can be part of the reason for excitement as well. With creativity and clever game design, RE2 has the potential to be even better (and hopefully more challenging).

As long as Capcom is capable of remaining true to the spirit of the original game, I think it has the potential to turn out okay. But if they don't understand it or aren't capable, then it doesn't matter which camera angles the game uses.

*I have not played RE5 or RE6, as the new direction the series took has not interested me.

You can't focus on one over the other. Lost in Nightmares is a prime example of why you simply cannot have both. The fixed cameras become nothing more than a game-breaking novelty, as you cannot aim well at all. You're forcing people who want fixed cameras to constantly use the over the shoulder camera, and vice versa for exploration.

They were able to get away with it in the Castle version of BIO4 because you had no precise aiming and enemies took the same damage on the same areas regardless of what method you used to shoot them. The over the shoulder view was used solely as a means to get around camera angles obscuring enemies from view, a common criticism of previous titles.

I haven't played Lost in Nightmares but having seen gameplays and with it being an 1 hour dlc, it seems very much like an afterthought. RE5 is after all only developed with over the shoulder in mind. I'm not suggesting the same treatment for RE2R, obviously.

I realise I worded it badly, but what I meant with 'main focus' is that over the shoulder mode would get the main attention of added combat features to make it work with the more slow paced gameplay of the original. It needs to conform to the classic gameplay and not the other way around.

My opinion is that classic RE don't need fixing. The aiming works fine as it's mostly automated. It should function exactly as, for example, REmake. The over the shoulder is for those who can't cope with it. The modes would be separate and not switchable on the fly, two different experiences so to speak.

I tried ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Was it something in particular you were thinking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom