• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake 'progressing'; RE 6 feedback being 'taken on board'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm worried that REmake 2 will be behind the player focused instead of cinematic camera angles, i'd be fine with both if the game is remade well enough but still, worried.

Maxey

Don't you dare try to fucking turn it into a fully 3D game.

They can make it fully 3D and still feature the same fixed cameras and gameplay.

In fact something I'd love them to do is an endgame unlockable mode where you can replay a modified version of the game with RE6 controls and camera.

Anung

Un Rama
Why the hell are they taking on RE6 feedback? RE2 Remake should be NOTHING like RE6. The two are completely different games.

For fuck's sake Capcom; don't fuck this up. Just do for RE2 what you did for RE1. Static environments with pre-rendered graphics. Maybe a few new areas, but for the most part you're just prettying it up and polishing the mechanics. Don't you dare try to fucking turn it into a fully 3D game.

Reading comprehension.

As long as the game is good I don't care what "style" it's in.

Why the hell are they taking on RE6 feedback? RE2 Remake should be NOTHING like RE6. The two are completely different games.

For fuck's sake Capcom; don't fuck this up. Just do for RE2 what you did for RE1. Static environments with pre-rendered graphics. Maybe a few new areas, but for the most part you're just prettying it up and polishing the mechanics. Don't you dare try to fucking turn it into a fully 3D game.
I'm pretty sure the fan feedback comment is about the next mainline game.

Don't care what they do with RE7 as long as they make REmake 2 like REmake.

Hope they don't try to please everyone, because that leads to pleasing no one. Just make this a love letter to long time fans of the series.

KyleCross

I'm worried that REmake 2 will be behind the player focused instead of cinematic camera angles, i'd be fine with both if the game is remade well enough but still, worried.

Of course it's going to be behind the player fully 3D. I'm sorry, but the classic RE fans need to understand that pre-rendered camera angles were due to technical reasons of wanting high-quality environments at the time. They no longer have to do that trick now, resources allow for real-time detailed environments. Fixed camera angles and tank controls are archiac, many conisdered them terrible when these games were still new, and they have no business being in modern games.

Of course it's going to be behind the player fully 3D. I'm sorry, but the classic RE fans need to understand that pre-rendered camera angles were due to technical reasons of wanting high-quality environments at the time. They no longer have to do that trick now, resources allow for real-time detailed environments. Fixed camera angles and tank controls are archiac, many conisdered them terrible when these games were still new, and they have no business being in modern games.

Joke post right?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I see two names in that quote. Which one is the "We do it!" guy?

Hirabayashi

obligatory
A5F1cx.gif

Drencrom

Is that so hard to believe? One criticism of RE5 was that it wasn't scary or atmospheric enough being set during the day. So RE6 was set mostly during the night. Also, some people missed zombies, so they brought back zombies alongside the new type of ganado/majini. In these and other ways, elements of RE6 really did seem like a reaction to feedback on RE5.

(To be clear, I thoroughly enjoy both games)

For real?

That doesn't make any sense as RE6 is the most blatantly action-oriented and unatmospheric RE title to date. That game has no semblance of self control just felt like a barrage of shitty action setpieces and explosions from the time I put into it.

papo

Until I actually see something I will not believe they are doing anything other than maybe ruining it.

Silent Hill doesn't need fog because we're playing with PS4s people! Grim Fandango would be a billion times better if it were 3D!

Until I actually see something I will not believe they are doing anything other than maybe ruining it.
Wisest course, and I agree.

Sanctuary

Cautiously optimistic about this, instead of my default cynical mode. It could just be good PR though and not much else at this point.

It's going to be glorious watching the hate explode when they show off the first screenshots being over the shoulder rather than fixed camera.

KyleCross

Silent Hill doesn't need fog because we're playing with PS4s people! Grim Fandango would be a billion times better if it were 3D!

It can have fog for aesthetic, if they want. But they don't need that fog to be so thick and overbearing so it hides the poor draw distances anymore.

Sesha

Let's have three product lines that all look and function largely the same, and let's also ignore the general wishes and requests of the consumer base. Healthy business advice.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Unless there is something obvious that I missed, they haven't given any real indication of what type of game RE2Make will be, I don't think anybody should assume anything yet as they are building it from the ground up. Personally I don't mind whatever way they go, as long as it's a survival horror.

For real?

That doesn't make any sense as RE6 is the most blatantly action-oriented and unatmospheric RE title to date. That game has no semblance of self control just felt like a barrage of shitty action setpieces and explosions from the time I put into it.

I really don't get how anyone could praise RE6's atmosphere, the game takes place in a series of bland linear corridors that have absolutely no environmental detail whatsoever. There are exceptions (especially in Leons campaign), but for the most part it may as well be Call of Duty.

Neff

Look, I love the original RE games, but they contain a lot of antiquated gameplay features that don't need to be emulated. That goes far more for RE2 than REmake.

I can't think of a single one, but I'm assuming they're going to go the route of REmake and change the gameplay systems accordingly. REmake was different enough from RE1 to feel fresh and new, but they didn't betray anything established by the first game. That's what RE2make needs to do.

Fixed camera angles and tank controls are archiac, many conisdered them terrible when these games were still new, and they have no business being in modern games.

Agreed. This Remake should be made for people who think Resident Evil is terrible.

But isn't a remake of a classic game (especially a sequel and not standalone title) aimed at fans that liked the original? They have the action approach for Revelations and mainline games. There is no need to make the old games worse. Who bought the Remake Remaster? It's unlikely that it was the RE fans who love suplexing shit in mercenaries mode...

I'm not saying bring back a barrage of action in the titles. A scaled back Rev2 system wouldn't be so bad if you aren't trying to focus on shooting everything to get points.

We should probably be reminded that REmake and REmake 0 were created as such because they had a game to base it off of that wasn't from the PS1 era. RE2make is. So you aren't going to get pre-rendered backgrounds, simply because they'd have to remake all of it. Unless you want it upscaled from a PS1 game, which will lead to nobody buying the damn thing.

REmake's combat system isn't actually a bad idea, but many of the puzzles are going to need a reworking because that shit will not fly in today's current system. REmake was solid because you could break off and do things quickly in different orders. You had a super optmial path that let players beat that shit in a few hours once they got it down, and not just speed runners.

RE2 was never like that.

Really, what I want is a tighter controlled RE2 game with more cohesive puzzles and hints of action but a feeling of dread and actual mechanics that pair well with the lack of ammo. I don't want to juke zombies easily, but I don't want them to be RE5 level fast, if that makes sense.

KyleCross

Wait, people are actually expecting that the remake is going to be fixed camera along with the awkward controls that come with that? I mean, I know some diehards want that because they're attached to it and I get that... but to the point in not just "wishing" but actually full on "it's happening?" If Capcom actually does that, I hope they are embracing the fact that they're targeting this game only at the hardcore fans because that isn't going to go over well for everyone else and thus negative reviews and sales.

Wait, people are actually expecting that the remake is going to be fixed camera along with the awkward controls that come with that? I mean, I know some diehards want that because they're attached to it and I get that... but to the point in not just "wishing" but actually full on "it's happening?" If Capcom actually does that, I hope they are embracing the fact that they're targeting this game only at the hardcore fans because that isn't going to go over well for everyone else.

I'm pretty sure that is the whole reason they are remaking it..

Wait, people are actually expecting that the remake is going to be fixed camera along with the awkward controls that come with that? I mean, I know some diehards want that because they're attached to it and I get that... but to the point in not just "wishing" but actually full on "it's happening?" If Capcom actually does that, I hope they are embracing the fact that they're targeting this game only at the hardcore fans because that isn't going to go over well for everyone else and thus negative reviews and sales.

I just assumed it was honestly, I equated the 2nd remake to follow the same style in the RE1 remake

Wait, people are actually expecting that the remake is going to be fixed camera along with the awkward controls that come with that? I mean, I know some diehards want that because they're attached to it and I get that... but to the point in not just "wishing" but actually full on "it's happening?" If Capcom actually does that, I hope they are embracing the fact that they're targeting this game only at the hardcore fans because that isn't going to go over well for everyone else.

This game is literally happening because those hardcore fans were so vocal.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I really don't get how anyone could praise RE6's atmosphere, the game takes place in a series of bland linear corridors that have absolutely no environmental detail whatsoever. It may as well be Call of Duty.

While I don't want RE2 REmake to be RE6 obviously (even as someone who decently liked RE6), that's definitely not true.

Just some misc screens I had mainly from Ada's campaign from the last time I played.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
REmake was different enough from RE1 to feel fresh and new, but they didn't betray anything established by the first game. That's what RE2make needs to do.

I think this can be achieved with a 3rd person camera.

Jawmuncher

We don't even know what the budget is. Could be another smaller budget affair like Revelations 2. Which would mean a lower price, but also less risk for being back in survival horror. Capcom is playing it safe so until we see more who knows what they'll decide to do.

My bet is still on Survival Horror style like REmake. However budget and other things are a factor worth considering.

Neonep

This is capcom we are talking about so when they say they are listening to feedback that means they learned nothing and probably turn RE2 into a tps and re7 will have the same issues as re 6 imo.
Pretty much. When was the last time Capcom decided to actually use feedback and it had a positive outcome.

Sesha

The entire reason the remake is happening is as a response to RE HD's sales. In fact, at the time of the original REmake, remakes of 2 and 3 were planned if it had done well. It didn't, and those plans were canned.

"Everyone else" can buy the new numbered releases and the Revelations games. As for the bolded, RE HD reviewed better than RE 6 and Revelations 2 and sold quite well, QED the fact we're getting the RE2make.

Pretty much. When was the last time Capcom decided to actually use feedback and it had a positive outcome.

DmC Definitive Edition, the updated iOS version of Ghost Trick, the updated PS4 version of the Mega Man Legacy Collection, the PC version of Dragon's Dogma, the Western release of AA6 being confirmed day 1.

News Bot

Banned

It can't. Not if you want to maintain the feel, look and general horror of the original game. People forget that the fixed cameras are carefully placed and chosen based on how they accentuate the atmosphere and control the player's orientation. You simply cannot achieve the same level of horror with a 3rd person camera unless you change everything about the game. It's a heavy corridor-based game, making a 3rd person camera pointless as there is no need for an expanded field of view.

Neff

By all accounts, Capcom greenlit this game due to surprisingly strong sales of the REmake remaster. The fact that they keep namedropping REmake, and that it's being made by the team behind the remasters of REmake and RE0 suggests that they're using those games as a template. There's also the unofficial survey Capcom put out via social media enquiring as to what form fans want the game to take, and the overwhelming majority voted for REmake-style. So the assumption that it's going to follow classic-style RE isn't exactly baseless.

Technically the classic titles already use a third person camera, but Bot covered it well enough.

yummy screens

wow

papo

I love 2, but I want to play from a different perspective so to say, hehe. I wouldn't mind if it was just like REmake though.

I get that, but that means making a whole new game. Changing the encounters to fit the new camera and it would take away from some of the jump scare and stuff.

I don;t mind them adding normal controls for those that don't like tank, but I don't agree changing the whole game.

Dusk Golem

Let me say this: I think horror can be achieved through a third-person camera.

THIS SAID

This is a remake of RE2. RE2 is a game that's very designed with fixed camera angles in mind. There's a number of moments that wouldn't function as well, or would need to be redesigned, if the camera was going to be behind the shoulder. And if they're going to do that, I'd prefer they just made a new more horror-ish third-person RE. If they're remaking RE2, they should make it fixed camera angles. I assume part of the reason they're remaking RE2 is to make it part of future RE legacy collections or something, since once RE2 and RE3 are remade, they will literally have every main RE game on every current platform. I assume the remake of RE2 is an attempt to make a version of RE2 for current/future platforms to go with the rest of the series, like how REmake replaces RE1 for most digital releases (outside of 'retro' releases, like PSN).

KyleCross

Well, all I can say is I hope many of you are wrong and that isn't the direction Capcom is going. A point of a remake isn't to make an old game prettier, that's called a remaster. A remake is to take an old game and recreate it anew again. If REmake 2 is the same game as Resident Evil 2 but simply with better graphics then Capcom should be more transparent with the project so I can stop being excited for it.

Seik

Banned
REmake 2...please be good!

My soul will be crushed if they fuck it up, biggest remake attempt to me along with FFVII.

Anung

Un Rama
Well, all I can say is I hope many of you are wrong and that isn't the direction Capcom is going. A point of a remake isn't to make an old game prettier, that's called a remaster. A remake is to take an old game and recreate it anew again. If REmake 2 is the same game as Resident Evil 2 but simply with better graphics then Capcom should be more transparent with the project so I can stop being excited for it.

But REmake exists. A game can be remade, improved yet still remain the core of what fans liked about that release.

Sesha

RE 2002 was a remake. That's the direction they will be going. There's your answer. You can stop being excited if you want.

Like someone posted on the first page, this is definitely their future direction:

New numbered games: Action-heavy blockbusters in the style of RE456
Revelations: Gameplay style of RE456 with focus on old school style atmosphere and pacing
REmakes: Classic style games.

With the odd spin-off like ORC and UC.

Three product lines that appeal to various clusters of the fanbase. Plain, spicy and extra chunky.

Dusk Golem

I always wondered if the constantly shifting clay style of Carla's mutation and that level was inspired by Frank Zappa's City of Tiny Lites music video. It always reminding me of it.

It may be a possibility actually, inspiration can come from weird places. At the very least, I'm fairly sure all the Carla forms are based off some form of claymation, since how it moves and animates looks a lot like it (and certainly does a good job as one of the creepier parts of RE6).

I think it's not Capcom's ultimate direction going forward, but I think it makes sense to remake an old game and update it. But I come from the frame I think REmake did a good job keeping the RE formula, but also upgrading it for a more enjoyable current experience for what RE1 was supposed to be. And part of the reason REmake did so well for fans was because it also introduced new mechanics, polish, graphics yes, but also locations, music updates, and a much thicker atmosphere.

Keep in mind, I'm a fan who likes both the newest and oldest games. I'll be picking REmake 2 up, and I think it should be stylized like RE2, as that's what RE2 is, and I think the remake should be like RE2 and not a completely different thing; but I'll also be picking up Umbrella Corps and see what I think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom