• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque developer Antti Kallioinen has passed away

Suzzopher

Sad news, thoughts are with his family, friends and the studio :(

Antti Kallioinen passed away suddenly at the age of 42 on the 24th of February, 2016. At the time of his death, Antti was finalizing Alienation together with the rest of the crew as the Art Lead of the team. He started his long career as early as 1994, when he was the background graphics artist for one of the first Finnish internationally published games called Elfmania for Amiga 500 (Developer Terramarque, publisher Renegade). Antti also had a strong entrepreneurial drive as he co-founded three game companies in different locations around the world.

Antti is survived by his partner and family. His co-workers and colleagues here at Housemarque want to offer their condolences to all.
Let the good memories of Antti live on.
http://www.housemarque.com/veteran-finnish-game-developer-has-passed-away/

what the hell? :( Housemarque is legendary, especially here in Finland. RIP.

what happened, i wonder.. not my business of course but yeah.. WAY too young.

Sesha

Holy shit, I used to play Elfmania on the Amiga some times. I had no idea that it was a Finnish game or that it had been developed by Housemarque under a previous name. Crazy. I do remember the backgrounds being pretty good. Guess I can partially credit him for that.

But anyway. How horrible for someone to go that young. RIP

btags

Very sad, and sounds like it was very unexpected if he was still working on the game. I hope his family and friends are doing alright.

Sesha

Listening to the Elfmania soundtrack now in his memory. Though he didn't work on the music, I'm unable to play Elfmania atm.

I never remembered that the music was so rockin'. There's an undeniable Mortal Kombat influence there.

Papacheeks

Banned
It doesn't go into detail if he had an illness?

Does it explain why he passed away at 42?

Too young, and talented to leave this industry.

RIP

Occam

Way too young, how sad. Rest in peace!
I actually remember Elfmania from the Amiga days (not a good game, but extremely impressive on a technical level). Housemarque were (and still are) programming wizards. Anyone remember the original Stardust on Amiga 500? That one blew me away. Thank you for the memories!

RIP. This is tragic. So close to launch. Housemarque is one of my favourite developer. It's a loss to the industry. My heart goes out to his family.

Top Bottom