• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VLC Media Player coming to XBOX ONE thanks to UWP

Guerrilla

Well this is amazing news (at least for me):

http://blog.thomasnigro.fr/2016/04/19/announcing-vlc-as-a-uwp/

We’ve been working on Xbox One for a long time, even considered a Windows 8 app last year, but we could’nt because of the lack of proper APIs. The work on the Xbox One UWP port started in February, and it’s been a pleasure to follow the SDK updates.

And regarding a release date:

This summer, when developers will be able to publish UWP apps on Xbox.

Turn to MPC-HC if old

Warxard

Banned
I wonder if 60fps captures with GameDVR is just a limitation of the app, and someone could make a better game capture app????

Still, I'm excited for VLC. Now just give me a quality Twitter app.

Now THIS makes me interested in UWP support for Xbox One! Does anyone knows if UWP versions of Microsoft Office will be available on Xbox One?

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Hooray! I've got a few MKV's with alternate audio streams that don't show up on Xbox One's media player, hopefully this will resolve the issue.

farisr

Bone already plays MKV, though, right? I use Plex, and it seems to handle everything I've ripped to my library.
Plex transcodes in many instances resulting in quality loss/resources being taken up on the device that the file is on, whereas vlc should be direct play

Wouldn't there be patent problems with the codecs though? VLC gets around this by being based in France, but being published on an American based store sounds like it could be vulnerable to legal action.

sangreal

Plex transcodes in many instances resulting in quality loss/resources being taken up on the device that the file is on, whereas vlc should be direct play

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the mkv container which even the stock media player supports

Wouldn't there be patent problems with the codecs though? VLC gets around this by being based in France, but being published on an American based store sounds like it could be vulnerable to legal action.

It's already distributed on the US windows app store, along w/ other app stores

GavinGT

Banned
That's how Microsoft wants you to see it. But wouldn't VLC or any media player for that matter been possible previously had Microsoft given its blessing?

MS would still have to put in the work to fully support the format. Just look at how shitty Windows Media Player is compared to VLC or MPC-HC.

Rellik

It's already on the store though.

leeh

Plex transcodes based on its media profiles for each device, its been sending MKV directly to the Xbox One for quite a bit of time now.

JeffGrubb

I definitely haven't noticed that. I ripped my Star Wars Blu, and it looks just fine. But I'm sure that some people notice it -- I'll stick with the ease-of-use of Plex.

nakedeyes

Banned
Someone once told me that the developers actually paid for the full license to all codecs in VLC. Sounds like they were mistaken?

LewieP

This thread is somewhat misleading, or at least not the full story. Just because the VLC devs intend to release on Xbox One doesn't mean that they'll be allowed to. You will still need to pass certification and receive approval from MS before being allowed to release a UWP on Xbox One.

Or have MS said anything about enabling sideloading of UWP apps on Xbox One?

Alx

Will it play MVK over my network ?

If so, the Xbone will become the media player.

You can try Plex in the meantime, it works fine with MKV, and it doesn't require a premium account any more on Xbox.

This thread is somewhat misleading, or at least not the full story. Just because the VLC devs intend to release on Xbox One doesn't mean that they'll be allowed to. You will still need to pass certification and receive approval from MS before being allowed to release a UWP on Xbox One.

I don't see why MS would oppose this, and the VLC devs aren't beginners in that field, so there's no major reason to believe they'll fail the certification.

This would be great in the pre-Plex era, but I haven't used locally hosted files for an extremely long time.

Still, should be good for those who do. Easily the best player out there.

mike4001_

If Microsoft really allows every app on Xbox One than this console will be an Emulator heaven :)

Just need someone to port Emulationstation + Retroarch ect. to UWP and also maintains it :)

Guerrilla

If Microsoft really allows every app on Xbox One than this console will be an Emulator heaven :)

Just need someone to port Emulationstation + Retroarch ect. to UWP and also maintains it :)

I'm so hoping that someone will announce a simple snes emulator or something soon. That would be insanity

I think you're reading what you want to read, which doesn't make is misleading, just you mistrusting.

Specifically mentions official release is this summer. I don't see how you can read that any other way than its OFFICIAL since it uses the word and all.

Which is exactly why it wont happen. No way do publishers stand by and let Dolphin/PCSX2 etc appear on the xbox store. Like was said above, unless there's a way to allow sideloading on the Xbone then MS certification will ensure this doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, because it would be pretty cool.

LewieP

I don't see why MS would oppose this, and the VLC devs aren't beginners in that field, so there's no major reason to believe they'll fail the certification.
It was not my intention to suggest that VLC is not a quality piece of software, I've had a great experience using it on a variety of platforms.

I am just suggesting that it's better to exercise caution before taking a developers intentions as exactly what will happen.

Who knows what restrictions or rules MS will have for receiving approval. I know Apple once rejected VLC from releasing on the app store, and later on changed their mind (not sure how that played out). MS might reject apps that duplicate existing functionality, or in some indirect way undermine one of their existing apps/services.

Lets wait and see how these apps on Xbox One actually work before assuming MS will let devs do whatever they want.

I'd not be shocked if things like emulators were rejected, too.

Yes you can, but i'ts obviously more complicate. You'll have to turn your console to Dev Mode and then deploy the app from visual studio. The developer will have to provide you the sources though, which looks like VLC will be doing:
Check out our repo and try it yourself on your Xbox One starting next week.

Alx

Yes you can, but i'ts obviously more complicate. You'll have to turn your console to Dev Mode and then deploy the app from visual studio. The developer will have to provide you the sources though, which looks like VLC will be doing:

Wow that's cool. Not sure it counts as sideloading, but still cool. ^_^

LewieP

Yeah I was thinking more about in consumer mode. I guess there's still no way to package UWP apps for this kind of distribution anyway. That's better than nothing at least.

That's how Microsoft wants you to see it. But wouldn't VLC or any media player for that matter been possible previously had Microsoft given its blessing?
Well, yeah, but that would require ms developing and maintaining a separate dev platform just for apps every new generation.

An unified platform with unified app model and distribution is much easier to handle. Not to mention that allows what we are seeing here, an dev using the app he already has and bringing it to xbone.

Top Bottom