• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VLC Media Player coming to XBOX ONE thanks to UWP

Alx

Universal apps cannot be snapped. This probably relates to how the UWP runtime can grab more resources.

Bummer. :( I did notice that there wasn't any display settings for snapped apps in the Visual Studio samples (I'm pretty sure there used to be one), but I thought it was temporary. That doesn't bode well for the future of snapping in general, assuming MS expects most apps to be universal in the future.
It also makes most apps less interesting, especially video players like VLC. I like snapping TV or Plex next to fitness or puzzle games.

LewieP

Except the existence of plex proves otherwise, VLC will be coming. You gotta believe VLC wouldnt give ppl an official release period if they knew MS might not allow it.Oh and MS is not Apple, not a good comparison at all.

The existence of Plex proves that MS will never ever reject any apps from releasing on Xbox? How?

JaggedSac

Bummer. :( I did notice that there wasn't any display settings for snapped apps in the Visual Studio samples (I'm pretty sure there used to be one), but I thought it was temporary. That doesn't bode well for the future of snapping in general, assuming MS expects most apps to be universal in the future.
It also makes most apps less interesting, especially video players like VLC. I like snapping TV or Plex next to fitness or puzzle games.

I agree.

Actually *requires* all new apps to be Universal. (However internally made apps can have an override to enable snapping).

Shame Netflix has already lost snapping. Hopefully Live TV / Oneguide doesn't lose it, though I think that's already Universal so we're good. (I actually need to double check that)

The Windows app version of VLC is awful in my experience. Unstable and constantly choking on files on Windows10.
The app currently is a win8 app though, and many of the codesare software based instead of using acceleration.

Supposedly many of the limitations they found when developing for w8 are gone mow in win10.

FZW

The existence of Plex proves that MS will never ever reject any apps from releasing on Xbox? How?

Ok. Maybe I shouldve quoted specific parts of what you said so you understand what I was respondiing to. Here we go:

I know Apple once rejected VLC from releasing on the app store, and later on changed their mind (not sure how that played out). MS might reject apps that duplicate existing functionality, or in some indirect way undermine one of their existing apps/services.

Except the existence of plex on the xbox appstore proves otherwise (an app that duplicates existing functionality and does similar things to VLC). That policy doesnt even exist in their current rules for their app store, why would you expect it now? this is not Apple.

jediyoshi

Update on VLC UWP
http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/post/2016/Announcing-VLC-for-UWP-2.0

Mentions the Xbox One version launching when the store is open to UWP apps

Beta for the desktop version
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/vlc/9nblggh4vvnh

Peak on the hololens version
EbrwRqr.gif

Top Bottom