• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VLC Media Player coming to XBOX ONE thanks to UWP

Krejlooc

Banned
*thanks to microsoft allowing UWP applications to run on the Xbox One, which they also could have done with win32 applications.

Cool!

OFeH5ET.png

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This would make my Xbox One useful

Sanpei

if it works like in PC , then there will be no codec or subtitle problem...It's the best media player

This thread is somewhat misleading, or at least not the full story. Just because the VLC devs intend to release on Xbox One doesn't mean that they'll be allowed to. You will still need to pass certification and receive approval from MS before being allowed to release a UWP on Xbox One.

Or have MS said anything about enabling sideloading of UWP apps on Xbox One?

UWP Xbox is open store, same as Windows 10, for everything bar games. So if you can get on the Win 10 store, which they have, they'll have no issue.

As to whether emulators fall under "games" or not... honestly, I wouldn't care in the slightest if they were and therefore bannished from Xbox One.

LewieP

UWP Xbox is open store, same as Windows 10, for everything bar games. So if you can get on the Win 10 store, which they have, they'll have no issue.

As to whether emulators fall under "games" or not... honestly, I wouldn't care in the slightest if they were and therefore bannished from Xbox One.

I'm not sure there's any way you can claim that the store is open when it requires MS certification.

If it was indeed an open store like you suggest, how on earth would it be possible for anything to be banished?

I'm not sure there's any way you can claim that the store is open when it requires MS certification.

If it was indeed an open store like you suggest, how on earth would it be possible for anything to be banished?

It's a very different cert from Xbox One standard cert - it's subject to the same cert requirements as Windows 10 UWP apps, which is fairly open. As long as it doesn't crash or break things and actually runs / works, it's usually let on the store regardless of quality or features.

Microsoft have stated the only difference for Xbox One is if your app is classified as a game - in which case it *must* go through the ID@Xbox program. Otherwise, it's the same as the current Windows 10 store.

LewieP

It's a very different cert from Xbox One standard cert - it's subject to the same cert requirements as Windows 10 UWP apps, which is fairly open. As long as it doesn't crash or break things and actually runs / works, it's usually let on the store regardless of quality or features.

Microsoft have stated the only difference for Xbox One is if your app is classified as a game - in which case it *must* go through the ID@Xbox program. Otherwise, it's the same as the current Windows 10 store.

And as always with this stuff, the devil is in the details, and I think it's far better to wait and see how it is actually implemented than to make assumptions taking Microsoft's statements on the matter entirely at face value.

Depending on the context, "Fairly open" can also mean "Fairly closed". Apple also refer to their app store as being open, but I imagine the large number of devs who have had their apps and games rejected from it feel quite differently.

LordRaptor

It'll be interesting to see if it gets through, because I'd assume there'd be some pressure from the BluRay consortium not to allow it as it basically completely ignores all their encryption, HDCP and region locking.

If Microsoft really allows every app on Xbox One than this console will be an Emulator heaven :)

Just need someone to port Emulationstation + Retroarch ect. to UWP and also maintains it :)
At build they mentioned there will be no extra durationother than the already in place for the store. But I fear they might ban emulators from the store too if they end up on xbone

Another thing to consider, uwp apps currently get only 45% of the gpu and 2-4 cores. Might not be enough for emulation. Phil did say that they are working to give the same amount of resources regular games have, but until then it might not be enough.

Guerrilla

At build they mentioned there will be no extra durationother than the already in place for the store. But I fear they might ban emulators from the store too if they end up on xbone

Another thing to consider, uwp apps currently get only 45% of the gpu and 2-4 cores. Might not be enough for emulation. Phil did say that they are working to give the same amount of resources regular games have, but until then it might not be enough.

Depends on which emulation you are talking about. I think up to n64 should already be totally fine, dolphin is another story of course

mike4001_

When a Raspberry Pi can emulate most games up to Nintendo 64, then 45% auf die Xbox GPU should me more than plenty ... ;-)

Alx

How would that work since the apps need to run alongside a game, and that both are in separate OS ?

Alx

There is no snapping so the only thing that would be running from the app would be background tasks or background audio.

Well I meant "how could they use as much resource as a game, when the game OS reserves it and the app OS is separate ?".
But your comment made me raise another question : universal apps can't be snapped ? Or just that one specifically ? I hope MS isn't removing snapping altogether. :/

If it has proper subtitle support I'll even buy a second X1 to use as a media player in the other living room.

Not getting my hopes up, though.

arhra

This would be great in the pre-Plex era, but I haven't used locally hosted files for an extremely long time.

Still, should be good for those who do. Easily the best player out there.

The interesting part for me as a Plex user is that it implies that libass can be compiled in a UWP build environment, which would hopefully be something the Plex devs could integrate into an updated Plex client that would finally allow for direct play of files with subtitles, without having to transcode the files to burn-in the subs.

Audioboxer

if this has hevc/x265 support , im gonna blow a load.

Xbone media player already way better than ps4 one

I bought a Nvidia Shield TV for this. It with Kodi is unstoppable. Expensive move though, considering I happily used my PS3 as a media server. PS4 is wank even compared to a PS3, let alone all the support the XB1 is getting.

d00d3n

Great to have that option on xbone, but I think I will stick with my openelec/kodi htpc for media playback. VLC is great for media playback on mac laptops, though.

FZW

It was not my intention to suggest that VLC is not a quality piece of software, I've had a great experience using it on a variety of platforms.

I am just suggesting that it's better to exercise caution before taking a developers intentions as exactly what will happen.

Who knows what restrictions or rules MS will have for receiving approval. I know Apple once rejected VLC from releasing on the app store, and later on changed their mind (not sure how that played out). MS might reject apps that duplicate existing functionality, or in some indirect way undermine one of their existing apps/services.

Lets wait and see how these apps on Xbox One actually work before assuming MS will let devs do whatever they want.

I'd not be shocked if things like emulators were rejected, too.

Except the existence of plex proves otherwise, VLC will be coming. You gotta believe VLC wouldnt give ppl an official release period if they knew MS might not allow it.Oh and MS is not Apple, not a good comparison at all.

JaggedSac

Well I meant "how could they use as much resource as a game, when the game OS reserves it and the app OS is separate ?".
But your comment made me raise another question : universal apps can't be snapped ? Or just that one specifically ? I hope MS isn't removing snapping altogether. :/

Universal apps cannot be snapped. This probably relates to how the UWP runtime can grab more resources.

Top Bottom