• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Independence Day: Resurgence trailer out! Looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggelos

Roland Emmerich reveals why Independence Day: Resurgence took 20 years

Independence Day was a record-breaking film that helped turn Will Smith into a megastar. Yet, in an industry that churns out sequels for anything that resembles a success, it has taken 20 years for the follow-up to Roland Emmerich’s alien invasion film.

At a screening for the 20th anniversary of Independence Day, Emmerich told EW why it took so long for Independence Day: Resurgence, due in theaters June 24, to become a reality. “I’m always against sequels and only when I can see another way how to make it not look like a sequel but a continuation of the 20 years,” the director says. “And that’s great when you have a whole new generation coming in and the whole world has changed. We had time to rebuild, and naturally what we do is rebuild all these landmarks exactly like they looked because humans are traditionalists when it comes to that. I said, ‘Okay, that’s cool,’ because now you have a whole new playing field.”

Emmerich says he’s been approached for years by fans who wanted to know when a sequel would come. He thinks the reason the original resonated with so many people is because that the film was ahead of the curve. “I think it’s the first movie where you saw aliens come in a total overwhelming way, and I think after that no one could do it because everyone said, ‘That’s like Independence Day.’ I think I put that kind of stamp on it.”

Returning for Resurgence is Jeff Goldblum, who is no stranger to sci-fi thanks to roles in Independence Day, Jurassic Park, and The Fly. The veteran actor has his own thoughts on the original film’s continued success. “The question of are we alone and our place in the universe is fascinating when handled interestingly,” he tells EW. “And in this made-up version of the world, people realize when push comes to shove and the darkest hours seem possibly upon us what the important things are — how much we mean to each other, how precious this planet is, how passionately we want to save it — and we band together.”

One person who opted not to return to the franchise was Smith; Emmerich said they wanted Smith back, but he declined, stating he couldn’t do four sci-fi films in a row; Smith had just completed After Earth and Men in Black 3 , and Emmerich’s original plan was to film two Independence Day sequels back-to-back.

Once Smith passed, Emmerich and co-writer Dean Devlin’s new script had Smith’s character die off-screen, which Smith was not excited to hear. “I told Will that his character dies in the film, and he was very upset,” Emmerich laughs. “Will and I are still friendly. We kind of thought that he had to have a heroic death, and we don’t make a big thing out of it in the film because we don’t want to hold the movie down with that.”

Vivica A. Fox, who played Smith’s fiancée in the original film, was disappointed for personal reasons not be to reunited with the actor. “Well, of course who’s not going to miss Will Smith with his gorgeous self?” the actress jokes with EW. “I was ready to slobber him down one more time just for old times’ sake and maybe win another MTV award for Best Kiss, let them show that we [are] still making out.”

Fans get to reignite their love affair with the franchise when Independence Day: Resurgence, which also stars Bill Pullman, Liam Hemsworth, and Jessie T. Usher, lands in theaters June 24.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/04/independence-day-roland-emmerich

good bump

did anyone get the 20th anniversary blu ray CE?

ordered mine from walmart for $50

i heard it comes with movie cash for the sequel, but not sure if true

Aggelos

The latest footage in relation to director Roland Emmerich confirms that the film is going to be in Dolby Atmos (at the end of the clip).
It's going to be a treat/blast with IMAX 3D and a a Dolby Atmos soundstage.

TalonJH

what is Hollywood's latest obsession with fucking up London, for like 5 years now, I have been seeing my city fucking obliterated

London and Paris are a few of the cities outside the US that every American can identify with one landmark. It's used to say, "hey, shits getting fucked around the globe."

strafer

Chinese TV CM. Shows some new scenes (spoilers alert!
Shows scenes from the final showdown - My guess. So if you don't wanna know who the final enemy is and what kind of form-appearance-size it has, don't watch it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o96pBf8RMtU

hWaTveq.gif

mantidor

I had completely forgotten this existed D:

I loved the first movie even with its whole "America > all" Undertones, I'm definitely seeing this.

However lol at the Atlantic sized ship, it's so ridiculous, I swear it only exists so they can throw that one liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom