• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Independence Day: Resurgence trailer out! Looks fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of hope we are getting a space battle at the beginning of the movie.

Afterall the first movie started also in space with the mothership destroying earth satelites.

krang

This looks amazing. Will Smith or no Will Smith.

Will Smith will be in the next one. Hiller faked his own death for a secret mission
is my guess.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Looks like one of those sequels that catches the essence of the original, and then expand on it without tainting the original. I'm looking forward to this.

Yamauchi

Banned
They should have it that Randy Quaid didn't die in the first movie but when he flew into the...thing he did he got teleported to the home world and he now leads the aliens. He can then echo his final line, "Hello boys, I'm baaaaaack!" when he is revealed.
This is the best movie idea I've ever heard.

krang

They should have it that Randy Quaid didn't die in the first movie but when he flew into the...thing he did he got teleported to the home world and he now leads the aliens. He can then echo his final line, "Hello boys, I'm baaaaaack!" when he is revealed.

That specific premise aside, I'd love Randy Quaid to return with that line. Maybe right at the end to tee up the sequel.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's with the trend of advertising the trailer after the trailer begins? The same thing happened before the new Jason Bourne Trailer.

I think Warcraft did it too? Or something similar. It needs to stop.

its too late to go back now

the industry won
Why movie trailers now begin with five-second ads for themselves

Basically, to try and convince people not to "Skip" the ad when it shows up as a pre-video trailer by showing some key elements people would be more interested in if they're the target audience. (For instance, you might be an ID4 fan but might not really realize the trailer itself is for ID4-2 by its normal beginning 5 seconds. So they need to tell you that "YES, this is a trailer for ID4-2, so if you're interested, keep watching! Otherwise, feel free to Skip it.")

It's not going to stop. This is the YouTube age. Just be glad most ads have a Skip option. There's still plenty that don't.
Fuck you Geico. Your joke of "This ad is already over so you can't skip it!" isn't funny and no your ad isn't over. It's 15 seconds of awkward shit I don't need to watch.

Kinyou

Basically, to try and convince people not to "Skip" the ad when it shows up as a pre-video trailer by showing some key elements people would be more interested in if they're the target audience. (For instance, you might be an ID4 fan but might not really realize the trailer itself is for ID4-2 by its normal beginning 5 seconds. So they need to tell you that "YES, this is a trailer for ID4-2, so if you're interested, keep watching! Otherwise, feel free to Skip it.")

It's not going to stop. This is the YouTube age. Just be glad most ads have a Skip option. There's still plenty that don't.
Fuck you Geico. Your joke of "This ad is already over so you can't skip it!" isn't funny and no your ad isn't over. It's 15 seconds of awkward shit I don't need to watch.

Ugh. It felt really weird with the Bourne trailer because it already showed the scene the trailer itself uses as last shot.

Nokterian

Well i can agree with this because people regardless of trailers will watch a youtube video if there not liking it in 5 to 10 seconds they go on to the next one.

LoveCake

In a realistic manner, it is possible. Look at how far technology has come in 20 years in real life as-is; it's significant. Reverse engineering the tech the aliens have is much more feasible in the 90s vs the 50s.

(ID4 spoilers below? 20 years already, c'mon)

Considering in the movie they mention having one of their ships since the infamous crash in the 50s in Area 51, but being stumped on it because it wasn't "alive" until the aliens arrived, it ended a huge bottleneck in learning their tech. Goldblum's character stumbling on their secret signal before chaos began could also have helped overcome other barriers in being able to reverse engineer the tech.

How long does it take to design a new aircraft though, it takes time to reverse engineer and where is the money going to come from considering they have had to re-build every single major city on Earth.

Take the F35 for example, the F-35 took its first flight on 15th December 2006 and how long before that had they been working on the design, it didn't enter service until 31st July 2015 and some variants still have not entered service, then there is the cost, [wiki says] By 2014, the program was $163 billion over budget and seven years behind schedule.

I am not expecting ID: R to be scientifically accurate, I know it's a pop-corn movie and I want to go and see it, it's just that basically an F35 (lookalike plane) with laser-beams, shielding and anti-grav vectoring? is stretching it a bit imo.

Also in the trailer, I see that that London's Tower Bridge has been rebuilt as it was!

I am being fussy I know, they could have just made it plausible imo, either set it further in the future or scale back the tech a bit.

Well that's a new thing that I didn't know was a thing until now. So not only do we have trailers that spoil the entire movie, but we also have micro trailers that spoil the trailer for the trailer that is going to spoil the movie. Now I've seen it all..

maruchan

How long does it take to design a new aircraft though, it takes time to reverse engineer and where is the money going to come from considering they have had to re-build every single major city on Earth.

Take the F35 for example, the F-35 took its first flight on 15th December 2006 and how long before that had they been working on the design, it didn't enter service until 31st July 2015 and some variants still have not entered service, then there is the cost, [wiki says] By 2014, the program was $163 billion over budget and seven years behind schedule.

I am not expecting ID: R to be scientifically accurate, I know it's a pop-corn movie and I want to go and see it, it's just that basically an F35 (lookalike plane) with laser-beams, shielding and anti-grav vectoring? is stretching it a bit imo.

Also in the trailer, I see that that London's Tower Bridge has been rebuilt as it was!

I am being fussy I know, they could have just made it plausible imo, either set it further in the future or scale back the tech a bit.

its a movie about fucking aliens from space, that lose because they inserted a virus through a fucking powerbook.

dont think about it

LoveCake

its a movie about fucking aliens from space, that lose because they inserted a virus through a fucking powerbook.

dont think about it

But aliens are real
FcF3eEU.gif
(up there in space [hopefully not already here, well that would be cool actually, as long as they are nice ones])

Well that's a new thing that I didn't know was a thing until now. So not only do we have trailers that spoil the entire movie, but we also have micro trailers that spoil the trailer for the trailer that is going to spoil the movie. Now I've seen it all..

This is such a ridculous development.

If you can't trust your potential audience to sit through more than 10 seconds of your 2 minute commercial, how the fuck are you going to expect them to sit through YOUR WHOLE MOVIE?

Sajuuk

http://www.warof1996.com/ explain a bit.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

But that's just America attempting to not only get money and use a budget and still pay the people involved in the corporation of making this plane but also to upgrade a strategic fighter/bomber for ... reasons? the old is old now so give us cash to make a new toy trust us it's defense spending..

this is the entire planet coming together to not only reverse engineer tech that probably moved their understanding of thrust and mechanical engineering and gravity and power consumption and armament load and everything else hundreds of years forward in just a few years but also would have had an effect on engineering/designing buildings and mag lifts and new steel comp and ways to weld and rivet and recycle and repurpose old resources and a million other things.
Because you know.. there are fucking locust death aliens out there and we just barely managed to not become extinct. so we should probably get ready for round 2 (which they've kind of shown enough people that were vital in the first victory would all know/assume was coming so there wouldn't be bickering over silly bs)

Imagine if the whole planet came together to rebuild Haiti... would of have taken like 2 months to make it a paradise.

My money is on that Will Smith will be in this or in the third film especially if the DCCU bombs. I imagine a scene where the new cast finds Hillard in an alien prison where he explains that some magic alien crystals or some shit teleported him out of the cockpit causing the ship to crash due to there not being a pilot. Then we find out he is in charge of an alien resistance composed of other alien species which leads to an expanded Independence Day Cinematic U. Fuck I'm lit.

LoveCake

I will check that out.

But that's just America attempting to not only get money and use a budget and still pay the people involved in the corporation of making this plane but also to upgrade a strategic fighter/bomber for ... reasons? the old is old now so give us cash to make a new toy trust us it's defense spending..

this is the entire planet coming together to not only reverse engineer tech that probably moved their understanding of thrust and mechanical engineering and gravity and power consumption and armament load and everything else hundreds of years forward in just a few years but also would have had an effect on engineering/designing buildings and mag lifts and new steel comp and ways to weld and rivet and recycle and repurpose old resources and a million other things.
Because you know.. there are fucking locust death aliens out there and we just barely managed to not become extinct. so we should probably get ready for round 2 (which they've kind of shown enough people that were vital in the first victory would all know/assume was coming so there wouldn't be bickering over silly bs)

Imagine if the whole planet came together to rebuild Haiti... would of have taken like 2 months to make it a paradise.

Yeah, maybe, I am thinking too much about this though, its popcorn fun.

Apologies for taking this off topic.

Does anyone know if this is filmed in 3D and IMAX native or had been done post-production?

Aggelos

Well, the above clip had to do with this (but was taken down by Fox)

In the trend of other long-awaited sequels hitting theaters in recent years like Mad Max: Fury Road and Jurassic World, 20th Century Fox will soon be debuting the sequel to 1996 blockbuster alien invasion flick Independence Day. Taking place two decades after the events of The War of 1996, Independence Day: Resurgence welcomes back many starring characters as well as director Roland Emmerich.

So far, the trailers for Independence Day: Resurgence have largely focused on the bigger and badder alien force that will be plaguing Earth for the second time in the sequel – as well as the destruction wrought by their technology. But, a new viral clip for the Independence Day sequel bridges the gap between the films and offers an in-depth look at the world’s Earth Space Defense organization.

The viral video (above) is comprised of the fictional United World News’ special report on The War of 1996. In the aftermath of the war, the world formed the Earth Space Defense, led by David Levinson (Jeff Goldblum), who speaks about the organization:

“The ESD has been an international collaborative grand effort and our main goal, of course, is to keep us safe. I’ve taken a leadership role in developing many aspects of this defense system. As you know, it’s taken a huge effort to get a big military base on the moon, and these orbiting units, which have a big punch to them.”

Independence Day Resurgence Viral Video Jeff Goldblum Independence Day 2 Viral Clip: A World Changed by Alien Technology

The report also features ESD Moon Base Commander Jiang Lao (Chin Han) talking about the technology present on the base, including their replicated city destroyer cannon from the original alien ships. Additionally, the report focuses on three of ESD’s fighter pilots, Captain Dylan Hiller (Jessie Usher), Lieutenant Rain Lao (Angelababy), and Jake Morrison (Liam Hemsworth). In addition to these cast members, Independence Day: Resurgence will feature returning characters like ex-President Thomas Whitmore (Bill Pullman), Jasmine Dubrow-Hiller (Vivica A. Fox), Julius Levinson (Judd Hirsch), and Dr. Brackish Okun (Brent Spiner). Plus, fellow newcomers include: Maika Monroe as Patricia Whitmore, Sela Ward as President Elizabeth Lanford, and Charlotte Gainsbourg as Dr. Catherine Marceaux.

While much of the trailers and TV spots released to promote Independence Day: Resurgence have focused on the return of the alien invaders, this viral video – along with the previously released viral site documenting the aftermath of The War of 1996 – is tasked with filling in the 20-year gap between the sequel and its predecessor. Both the video and the site make it clear that Emmerich and those who joined him behind the camera to bring Independence Day: Resurgence to life have put plenty of thought and work into the world-building aspect of this sci-fi franchise.

Of course, we won’t know if these viral marketing tools will be effective in bringing audiences up to speed until Independence Day: Resurgence hits theaters this summer. But, as we’ve seen in the past with both Mad Max: Fury Road and Jurassic World, the viewers’ knowledge of previous installments may not be necessary to enjoying the sequel – though it remains to be seen if Independence Day: Resurgence will prove to be as successful at the box office as the original 1996 blockbuster.

http://screenrant.com/independence-day-2-resurgence-viral-video/

Independence-Day-Resurgence-Viral-Video-Jeff-Goldblum.jpg

This is the pure example of 'grab a popcorn and turn your brains off' movie

Sure, just like any big budget action movie. Seems just as likely to entertain as any modern superhero flick. I like the more optimistic alternate history of a unified earth utopia that's going on in this sequel which feels kinda refreshing for a Hollywood movie these days.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Holy fucking shit, this needs to happen.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

This is such a ridculous development.

If you can't trust your potential audience to sit through more than 10 seconds of your 2 minute commercial, how the fuck are you going to expect them to sit through YOUR WHOLE MOVIE?

It does seem ridiculous, but it also reminds me of the way newspapers and magazines convey information. Start with eyecatching headline that takes a second to read, then run through the main beats of the story over a paragraph, then expand on it for the remainder of the article.

They posted a new video on facebook https://www.facebook.com/IndependenceDayMovie/videos/955888964531888/ cant find a youtube link yet.

I remember the original ID4 Special Edition DVD had a similar "Mockumentary" in it.

I like this stuff, even if it's campy as hell.

Helps build hype and adds some viral-marketing.

This is great. I'm loving this alternate universe world, they are really heading towards a full on sci-fi with the world building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom