• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How does Demon's Souls hold up?

Hugstable

Banned
Ah, the good old days where weapon durability meant something in Souls games. It's been utterly useless since then, I don't know why they kept it in.

The WT mechanic was brilliant too.

Weapon durability isn't really a big deal outside of Scraping Spear hitting you. The Item Load and burden though was great. I actually don't mind it and makes me plan out things more

only if you're looking at the american covers

the japanese covers for every game has been SO much better
box-art-jp.jpg

Thanks for posting the best videogame cover art since the great crash. I love this piece - when everything else at the time was guns and victory and emphasised what great powers and manliness and general kickassery the player character had, this poor, anonymous, defeated knight was a strange and compelling vision.

I have a lot of love for Demon's Souls and it's true I probably overlook many of its flaws but I still find it eminently playable, the environments well designed with many wonderful views and secret passages and shortcuts waiting to be discovered. It has some of the best weapons of the series in the Dragon Bone Sword, Blueblood sword, Meatcleaver etc.

I feel particularly that DS3 to me at least has a lot of callbacks to Demon's that I find quite endearing.

Anyway a remaster would be nice but not if they go removing world tendency etc. like some posters have suggested (in a different thread). Atlus's server event system removed all the stress and complications from getting the tendency events anyway, if they did the same thing again I think there'd be few complaints.

catbrush

I much prefer it over Dark Souls. Movement and attacking are more responsive, PVP is arguably better with the absence of poise, and atmosphere is unmatched. The hub system gives you access to ~5 new areas at once most of the time, making Demon's less linear than any other Souls game. This combined with many important items being placed at the first area of an archstone makes it easy to try new builds once you know where items are located.

A lot of the enemies in Dark Souls are reskins from Demon's Souls, so it might feel like a prototype of DkS if you're intimately familiar with that game. The lack of a plunging attack is Demon's' biggest detriment.

Edit: The upgrade system is borked though. It's way too difficult to get the items you need without farming or duping.

Zophar

Item Burden + items disappearing forever if dropped and you die/return to the Nexus is needlessly punitive, and World Tendency is a needlessly opaque game mechanic, but besides from these things the game is still excellent.

Sami+

It's still my favorite game of all time. Absolutely adored it when I played for the... ninth time I think last year. Due for another replay honestly.

sn00zer

Poorly imo, but my main draw to the series has always been the visual design and its just not as strong in his one as it is in later iterations. Level deign is still there though if that is what you like about souls.

Edit: The upgrade system is borked though. It's way too difficult to get the items you need without farming or duping.

I felt that with how many times crystal lizards were respawned throughout the game, upgrade materials were handed out as candy. Especially if you killed them during pure black world tendency.

Bladestone is the obvious exception of course.

Zocano

Poorly imo, but my main draw to the series has always been the visual design and its just not as strong in his one as it is in later iterations. Level deign is still there though if that is what you like about souls.

I, alternatively, disagree pretty strongly. Prior to Bloodborne, I would have said it has the most focused design out of the 3 games but Bloodborne definitely gives it a run for its money. It really leans heavy on the dark fantasy and never lets up while I think Dark Souls in general has a much more higher fantasy weird and zany slant to it that I just never cared for (crystal dragons, fancy gold intricate armor, etc.).

I cant go back to it after having played Dark Souls 1. Everything this game did has been done better by Das 1, 2 and 3 (atmosphere in Tower Latria probably the only exception). Better combat, more variety in builds, better online interactions, better bosses, better level design.......everything.

sn00zer

I, alternatively, disagree pretty strongly. Prior to Bloodborne, I would have said it has the most focused design out of the 3 games but Bloodborne definitely gives it a run for its money. It really leans heavy on the dark fantasy and never lets up while I think Dark Souls in general has a much more higher fantasy weird and zany slant to it that I just never cared for (crystal dragons, fancy gold intricate armor, etc.).
I think the graphics support the design poorly compared to other games. The detail just isnt there.

Still the best Souls (DS3's combat feel being a hybrid of DeS, DS1, and BB is brilliant) soup to nuts. Every other game has more of the good parts of DeS or misses something DeS got right.

A few of the facets in each of the later games I feel were brought about by a drilling down on some of those completely nailed facets. So many secrets or crazy happenings that if new would have people going "WTF IS HAPPENING?!?" much more often than any later games.

WT is underappreciated, and if other players coudln't affect yours indirectly, it would be perfect (note how much of the complaints are about farming it or from "how will players know its there?!?!?!?! Illicit knowledge can be dangerous in some hands).

Still has the best PvP/PwP system as DS3 came juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust short of funneling people into helping and hunting fellow players enough. The combination of DeS imperitives and Covenants would have been GOTY bait. Oh so close. Oh so short.

Still has the best boss (Old Monk, see above).

Oh, Uuuuuummbasa....

Same here. It wasn't until Yahar'gul that another area in a Souls game made me feel deeply unnerved

Yup.
The screaming loot corpses, the chains making noise as you touch them, and the Bitch-Maker Jailers special brand of awfulness made Irythill Jail a delight for the same reason.

That choking "my own survival instincts are going to fuck me over if I don't Kip Gud" feeling is wonderful.

I played the first half of Demon's Souls about a year after clearing Dark Souls 1, then went back to finish it over a year later, after beating both DS2 and Bloodborne.

I think it feels very much like a proof-of-concept/developer sandbox style of game when compared to the newer Souls games. There is a lot of experimentation in the game, and things that aren't as tweaked as tightly as they are in later games. Difficulty-wise, it's a lot less forgiving because its bonfires and shortcuts are MUCH rarer than they are in the newer games. Both level design and bosses are a lot more gimmicky in general and can be very hit or miss as a result. Combat animations feel floatier in general but the central feeling of deliberate slowness is there.

Many of the ideas that didn't work or weren't interesting enough simply weren't repeated in the later games, while the ones that did work were usually improved in some way.

Having said all that, it's still a good game - just not as great as DS1, or Bloodborne. I still think some areas in DeS (Tower of Latria in particular) is easily the most atmospheric part of any Souls game I've played, and feels super creepy. It's great.

This is something I want to see people deal with who just started with DS3 and its very Soulsian shortcuts...what happens to them in 1-2, 1-4, 4-2, and 5-1 where there IS no shortcut. Willl those be seen as "mandatory"? Will they get why it was like it in those?

did you play dark souls 2? it absolutely meant something in that game

The real Souls starts on PC! :p

Zocano

I think the graphics support the design poorly compared to other games. The detail just isnt there.

Yah I can definitely understand that. For me, Dark Souls 1 always felt way too bloomed and saturated to shit and was kind of ugly to me for those reasons. I thought Dark Souls 2's "sharpness" was a lot better but a lot of the environments leave a lot to be desired.

Eumi

Probably going against the grain but i think it ages terribly. Status effects have no meter to tell you they're affecting you. Level design is muddled and confusing. The levels are entirely disconnected from each other. Game is a lot floaty-er than the rest. Bosses are generally less interesting, and most have little significance to plot or lore. They added a carry limit that in hindsight makes very little sense other than to be annoying (although at the time it was taken terrible idea). World tendency basically does absolutely nothing except lock you out of certain events.

All in all the game just feels like a worse version of Dark Souls. A lot of people point to atmosphere and stuff and whilst it personally did nothing for me I guess I can see some people liking it for that. But ultimately Demons souls is almost a game made out of all the stupid decisions from the rest of the series. But I guess that's the nature of a first try.

Just a PSA if you have had PS Plus for a few years, check your library. I just looked and I was surprised to see this game is in my download library.

Just started Dark Souls, and it feels alot easier so far, and the camp fire stuff really makes the whole thing so much simpler feeling. I never finished Demon's, but is it true that Demon Soul is a harder game in general?

Grief.exe

I've actually never played a Souls game below 60 FPS, so it's going to be jarring to go back to Bloodborne and Demon Souls one day.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is something I want to see people deal with who just started with DS3 and its very Soulsian shortcuts...what happens to them in 1-2, 1-4, 4-2, and 5-1 where there IS no shortcut. Willl those be seen as "mandatory"? Will they get why it was like it in those?
Why do you think it was like that in DeS? I was always under the impression that it was just a tuning choice that the devs decided to scale back a bit in later Souls games. I mean sure, I learned to fight my way through the whole fucking level every time I wanted to make an attempt at
Allant
or that
fucking blue dragon right before him
, but I just tried not to think about the repetition back when I was doing it.

Probably going against the grain but i think it ages terribly. Status effects have no meter to tell you they're affecting you. Level design is muddled and confusing. The levels are entirely disconnected from each other. Game is a lot floaty-er than the rest. Bosses are generally less interesting, and most have little significance to plot or lore. They added a carry limit that in hindsight makes very little sense other than to be annoying (although at the time it was taken terrible idea). World tendency basically does absolutely nothing except lock you out of certain events.

All in all the game just feels like a worse version of Dark Souls. A lot of people point to atmosphere and stuff and whilst it personally did nothing for me I guess I can see some people liking it for that. But ultimately Demons souls is almost a game made out of all the stupid decisions from the rest of the series. But I guess that's the nature of a first try.

There's stuff I disagree with in this post VEHEMENTLY but this is just factually incorrect.

There's like, two bosses that play similar to each other. Hell, some misappropriate them as being too gimmicky!

Why do you think it was like that in DeS? I was always under the impression that it was just a tuning choice that the devs decided to scale back a bit in later Souls games. I mean sure, I learned to fight my way through the whole fucking level every time I wanted to make an attempt at
Allant
or that
fucking blue dragon right before him
, but I just tried not to think about the repetition back when I was doing it.

I don't know. The Soulsian Shortcuts always made for brilliant level design so maybe they dug down on that? It doesnt feel I guess like kowtowing to tears.

The usefulness of "there IS no shortcut here (although 1-2 and 2-2 had ones they were...unorthodox heh), is good for a "testing" reason. You're going into things you hate but can overcome. Poison swamps, patch with archers a plenty, big risk of falls, mandatory boss that is rough against your build, etc). Occasionally it just ain't gonna be there. "Oh FWEW, a shortcut!" is how it should be seen.

Probably going against the grain but i think it ages terribly. Status effects have no meter to tell you they're affecting you. Level design is muddled and confusing. The levels are entirely disconnected from each other. Game is a lot floaty-er than the rest. Bosses are generally less interesting, and most have little significance to plot or lore..

Eh, those complaints come off as too vague and/or "flipside of a strong positive."

The best FS a-rpgs are the ones where they keep some general principles, but strike new ground w/ lore/setting/. Demons, DS1, and BB are the best titles in the series, with DS2 and DS3 far behind. Sequels have been an avenue of "relative" failure.

LiK

Just started Dark Souls, and it feels alot easier so far, and the camp fire stuff really makes the whole thing so much simpler feeling. I never finished Demon's, but is it true that Demon Soul is a harder game in general?

yes, particularly for new players. The first world is a trial by fire compared to later games. It's pretty massive and you have to get through a lot before the game lets you level up.

There are no bonfires so the run back to the bosses is way longer than the Dark games.

Also, Valley of Defilement is still one of the toughest areas in all the Souls games, imo. Those giants are brutal.

Eumi

There's stuff I disagree with in this post VEHEMENTLY but this is just factually incorrect.

There's like, two bosses that play similar to each other. Hell, some misappropriate them as being too gimmicky!

Oh I mean visually, gameplay wise I'd probably agree that it's probably one of the stronger lineups.

ethomaz

Banned
I forgot to say...

World Tendency was something awesome online feature.

I loved it.

I played and finished the game 5 times just because the tendencies to see what changes.

Give me now Demons Souls 2 with enhancement world/chat tendencies.

bloodborne isn't a souls game.
Lol hell yes it is. It's dark souls with monocles and top hats. It takes the literal exact same mechanics, calls them blood echoes instead of souls, lamps instead of bonfires, even the weapon upgrade systems uses the same shard, chunk and slab naming system. The health, levelling, currency system, weapon scaling, stamina management and online summoning mechanics are all exactly the same as souls. On what basis, other than superficial, is it not a souls game? It has the exact same risk reward mechanic, bloodstains, the trademark level design and shortcut system, identical npc and quest structure as souls. It shares a modified engine with dark souls 2 and 3. It's made by the exact same group of people that made the souls games. It has the same voice actors. The same localization team. An nearly identical control scheme. The same new game plus mechanic. The same system of leaving messages on the ground and rating them. Same boss mechanics. Fog doors. Invasions. Same Audio cues and enviromnental clues. Same method of storytelling. It's a souls game.

120v

I've actually never played a Souls game below 30 FPS, so it's going to be jarring to go back to Bloodborne and Demon Souls one day.

same here but just recently bought BB... it's not too bad, and i'm sensitive to low FPS. though it did make DS3 feel soooo much smoother

as for demon's souls i wish they'd make it playable on PS4 so i can finally mark that checkbox. doesn't even have to be remastered, put it on psnow or something.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't know. The Soulsian Shortcuts always made for brilliant level design so maybe they dug down on that? It doesnt feel I guess like kowtowing to tears.

The usefulness of "there IS no shortcut here (although 1-2 and 2-2 had ones they were...unorthodox heh), is good for a "testing" reason. You're going into things you hate but can overcome. Poison swamps, patch with archers a plenty, big risk of falls, mandatory boss that is rough against your build, etc). Occasionally it just ain't gonna be there. "Oh FWEW, a shortcut!" is how it should be seen.
Definitely agree with that last part. The newer Souls games are formulaic to the point where you have a mental timer where you can guess that there is probably a shortcut or another bonfire nearby. That sense wasn't there in DeS because the level design was less formulaic. I also didn't have it in Dark Souls 1 because it was my first Souls game and I didn't know how the games worked yet. I also completely missed a few mid-level or pre-boss bonfires (like the one in Sen's), which further threw off the sense of "I'm pretty deep in. Shouldn't there be a shortcut or a bonfire by now?"

The "testing" points kind of made a change in Dark Souls 1 when they put two bonfires relatively close together, but with some crazy shit in between, like the famed Anor Londo archers. You didn't have to fight through a lot of the level to get to them, but god damn were they some bullshit that was memorable.

Snaggle

Banned
I think people will be amazed how well this game holds up. I bought it when it originally came out in Japan and was absolutely blown away. I personally don't think there is too much difference in Ps3 vs Ps4 graphics just a little bit more resolution and texture clarity but most of the geometry looks the same, so it won't be like the difference of going from Ps2 to Ps3 level graphics, more like going from an SD to HD connection.

jett

D-Member
Item burden was the absolute worst though. What a stupid idea.

Still my most memorable Souls game, by virtue of being the first and that all of them are more or less the same thing.

120v

I'll wait to replay for the remaster. This has to be a thing eventually, right?

they really should make it available to more people, remaster or otherwise. souls is way bigger than it was pre-Dark Souls, and way more people own or will own a PS4 than PS3

Roussow

I think it's rather up to Sony, but probably they will rather push their new game with From.

Fair point actually, Sony did say they were really interested in pushing more remasters, I could see Bluepoint doing it easily. But I'd count on Bloodborne 2 or a new IP before I see From themselves remastering it.

Item burden was the absolute worst though. What a stupid idea.

It super fucked over my last attempt at beating the game (I keep getting about four-fifths through before getting distacted, it's happened on about 5 separate playthrough's over the years).

I didn't realize arrows contributed to the overall equip weight, I was dumping off the upgrade items left and right, but I lost basically all of the interesting armor and weapons in that run. If you get the "you would become overburdened" or whatever it is message, the item will be erased from your game upon respawn or reload of your game, it fucked me over so hard.

Lol hell yes it is.
lawl hell no it is not.

It's dark souls with monocles and top hats. It takes the literal exact same mechanics, calls them blood echoes instead of souls, lamps instead of bonfires, even the weapon upgrade systems uses the same shard, chunk and slab naming system. The health, levelling, currency system, weapon scaling, stamina management and online summoning mechanics are all exactly the same as souls. On what basis, other than superficial, is it not a souls game?
on the basis that all the official people involved have taken steps to point out that bloodborne is not only a separate IP but separate entity altogether from the souls series
It has the exact same risk reward mechanic, bloodstains, the trademark level design and shortcut system, identical npc and quest structure as souls. It shares a modified engine with dark souls 2 and 3. It's made by the exact same group of people that made the souls games. It has the same voice actors. The same localization team. An nearly identical control scheme. The same new game plus mechanic. The same system of leaving messages on the ground and rating them. Same boss mechanics. Fog doors. Invasions. Same Audio cues and enviromnental clues. Same method of storytelling. It's a souls game.
a lot of these same exact elements are things that can be said about tlou in relation to the uncharted series. is tlou an uncharted game?

Top Bottom