• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Thoughts: Okami

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Now that you got that out of your system can you vow to, you know, stop?

MoxManiac

The story, while definitely cliche' and not anything new, is still extremely likable and entertaining. In fact, I'd say the story is the best part of the game. Be forewarned however, that detractors of cutscene heavy games should stay away. This game as much text as any Xenosaga (probably more).

The gameplay in Okami is mediocre at best. While I did say the concept is extremely creative, the mechanics and drive behind the development of these said concepts is done so spotty, it actually makes the game feel immature and gimmicky.

Is this true?? That just killed a lot of interest for me in the game. :(

SnakeXs

MoxManiac said:

I'd almost go as far as to say Himuro should be the new bearer of the "DO NOT TRUST MY GAME IMPRESSIONS" tag. Almost.

Speevy

Banned
Himuro said:
We're not allowed to post criticisms in that thread and I'm not going to bother.

We're not allowed? You almost single-handedly ruined it with criticisms that could have taken one post.

djkimothy

MoxManiac said:

That's just an opinion of one person, I found the gameplay mechanics superb with the Celestial Brush. It's completely context driven so the process is seemless.

Billy Rygar said:
Himuro was one of the ones who completely ruined that one.

Completely ruined? At any rate, this thread is definiately even-handed, and he's bringing up his problems with the game. OH TEH NOS. OPINIONZ!

I'll be sure to chime in with mine after I finish it.

SnakeXs

Himuro said:
Ahahaha. See? Instead of actually offering some form of rebutal or defense for Okami, the fanboys come out of the woodwork and insult the messenger.

No other game in recent history has been like this, but Okami fans seem to be extremely connected to their new favorite game.

Far from it. Very few of your faults at the game are as severe as you say, or faults at all. Personal preferences, sure. Personal preferences made into big huge things, possibly. But to call most of what you hold against the game general "problems" is silly, considering how few people agree with you and actually enjoy it. Trust me, I know the game's faults, and half of what you complain about are either tiny, or not faults at all.

I propose that for every Official game thread, there should be an Official Hate thread created simultaneously.
Separate but equal :lol
GAF needs it badly.

Mifune

Mehmber
And on that note, it is literally impossible to challenge Wii as a console and be an advocate for Okami. It is impossible to hate on DS and love Okami. Okami is the exact thing that many Wii/DS detractors fear but what hasn't come to past with those systems yet (especially Wii because it's not out): an over simplification of the genre and gaming as a whole with gimmicks that stay fun for about five minutes and use almost no ounce of creativity.

Name one Wii game with the depth and length of Okami. Just one. And Zelda doesn't count; that's a Gamecube game.

I'm not against the Wii as a system, but its software lineup so far is underwhelming.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Can the little helper guy be shut off? That was something I liked in Kameo, the ability to shut the helper book completely off allowing me to solve everything on my own.

threeball

Banned
Great post. I've been trying to say this all along but am worried about getting a trolling ban. I think apart from its art style, Okami has nothing on other games. It's gameplay, story and quest seem to be rather uninspired and just "cut/pasted" from other games in the genre. The gameplay is stale and easy, and overall the game seems uninspired. I think Capcom made the game, slapped a "Zelda Killer" tag on it to make it gather hype and then fired away. I don't think it has anything on Zelda in my honest opinion.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
great stuff.

I dont see how this is trolling he is expressing his opinion with gameplay facts this is how you do a review of a game.

So do you hate most Zelda games as well? All those complaints could easily be lodged at those as well (if not more so). The only thing I'll agree on is that the dungeons aren't as substantial, but they're not that far off.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Error2k4 said:
great stuff.

I dont see how this is trolling he is expressing his opinion with gameplay facts this is how you do a review of a game.

You've clearly never had a dissenting opinion in a GAF circlejerk.

Speevy

Banned
What are you hoping to accomplish, Himuro?

To make us call the game overrated? That's not going to happen.

To make people say the game, like all games, is not perfect? Okay.

To make certain that, like the other thread, your opinion seems more important than anyone else's and you have to beat everyone over the head with it relentlessly? Done.

I think Okami is great. If you can't understand that, welcome to Neogaf. It's really not that big a deal.

Did you know it can actually affect someone's enjoyment of a game if you keep bringing up flaws on the forums? That's why most people know that one time is sufficient.

SnakeXs

Himuro said:
Uh no. Hand holding in an action adventure game is a sin. The whole entire fun of the genre is finding and experiementing things for youself. Okami does not let you do this. Far from a personal problem and it's a valid complaint.

Good job pointing out 1 of z dozen things. The hand holding is a slight let down, as is the difficulty as a whole, but you've made it seem FAR, FAR more of an issue than it really is.

That said, I'm done. You've proven your stance in the thread, and with the, uh, "points" you made with this thread. Enjoy your opinion, I'll enjoy my fantastic game. :D

djkimothy

threeball said:
Great post. I've been trying to say this all along but am worried about getting a trolling ban. I think apart from its art style, Okami has nothing on other games. It's gameplay, story and quest seem to be rather uninspired and just "cut/pasted" from other games in the genre. The gameplay is stale and easy, and overall the game seems uninspired. I think Capcom made the game, slapped a "Zelda Killer" tag on it to make it gather hype and then fired away. I don't think it has anything on Zelda in my honest opinion.

Huh? The addition of the Celestial Brush in terms of battles and platforming is the most unique aspect of the game. What other game comes close to this feature?

threeball

Banned
Speevy said:
What are you hoping to accomplish, Himuro?

To make us call the game overrated? That's not going to happen.

To make people say the game, like all games, is not perfect? Okay.

To make certain that, like the other thread, your opinion seems more important than anyone else's and you have to beat everyone over the head with it relentlessly? Done.

I think Okami is great. If you can't understand that, welcome to Neogaf. It's really not that big a deal.

He did this in a seperate thread because disagreeing with the popular opinion in the other threads(potential derailment) will be grounds for a trolling ban. I've seen it myself

Thanks for your view, Himuro. I am going to get it this week I think and now I'll know a little more of what to expect.

I'm not a big fan of reviews from IGN/Gamespot, etc. and certainly wouldn't go into a thread dedicated to the review looking for some objective opinions either, so this was good(to me).

MoxManiac

Himuro said:
I love Zelda. Zelda is not text heavy, it's all about the puzzles. While there are hints about solving said puzzles, they don't blurt them out like in Okami. Zelda is not linear either. Zelda does not insult your intelligence.

In Okami puzzles usually go like this:

Issun: You see that door up there? In order to reach it you're going to have to jump on those platforms, use your vine ability, and then burn the seal off the door with your Inferno brush ability.

It totally ruins the game.

Not to mention exploration. I'm not liking the hand holding your describing. Zelda WW was easy, but it still left you alone to solve the puzzles and explore.

Branduil

Mifune said:
Name one Wii game with the depth and length of Okami. Just one. And Zelda doesn't count; that's a Gamecube game.

I'm not against the Wii as a system, but its software lineup so far is underwhelming.

Because we've all played all the Wii games already and know how deep and long they are.

And Zelda is a Wii game.

djkimothy

Himuro said:
I love Zelda. Zelda is not text heavy, it's all about the puzzles. While there are hints about solving said puzzles, they don't blurt them out like in Okami. Zelda is not linear either. Zelda does not insult your intelligence.

In Okami puzzles usually go like this:

Issun: You see that door up there? In order to reach it you're going to have to jump on those platforms, use your vine ability, and then burn the seal off the door with your Inferno brush ability.

It totally ruins the game.

Really? Then where the hell was he when I had to find the whirlpool to enter the dragonian village? It took me forever to figure that one out. The hand holding only goes so far, I think you're taking it out of proportion...

MoxManiac said:
Not to mention exploration. I'm not liking the hand holding your describing. Zelda WW was easy, but it still left you alone to solve the puzzles and explore.

To be fair, Cast is saying it's the best "Zelda" game ever, and we know how he feels about that sort of thing. (Of course, we also know how he feels about Nintendo.) I'm keeping my opinions neutral on the game until I play it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I love how Okami lovers cant come out with something to counter his points. except "there was no need for this thread!" heh.

SnakeXs

Dragona Akehi said:
If people can't come up with more than "YOU JUST HATE OKAMI" and cannot bring up valid counterpoints, don't bother posting.

We already tried in the official thread, to simply be met with "nuh uh boring sidequests, nuh uh this, nuh uh combat sucks". Like I said, 99 people say point a is fun, he says it's boring. There's no discussing it.

SaitoH

Billy Rygar said:
Himuro was one of the ones who completely ruined that one.

Himuro and Amirox. The polar opposites. Too bad neither of them could accept that they have differing opinions and I don't know ... just move on, or something. Anything posted in that thread just got lost in a sea of arguing.

Suppose it's GAF and that's pretty much par for the course.

SnakeXs said:
We already tried in the official thread, to simply be met with "nuh uh boring sidequests, nuh uh this, nuh uh combat sucks". Like I said, 99 people say point a is fun, he says it's boring. There's no discussing it.

Looks like you're doing the same thing. Move along.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
:lol This is going to be an epic Himuro vs. Amir0x battle.

Having put in some decent time into Okami I'm starting to see why this game definitely isn't GOTY material. I have to play a bit more get a good opinion however. Beautiful graphics though right now that's all I see that's outstanding. Watch the game explode into some uber experience after I start playing tonight, haha.

I ain't saying it's the best Zelda game ever -- cuz it isn't. It's just way, way better than Wind Waker. Better art direction; better graphics; better world design and mechanics; hell, better story and characterization. Nintendo wishes they made this game.

The devs themselves said in a recent EGM interview that Okami wouldn't work on the Wii -- while the paintbrush controls woulda been improved significantly, that's only a very secondary part of the overall gameplay mechanics, the rest of which they felt would've been HURT by the Wii controls.

CAPCOM > YOU

MoxManiac

Dragona Akehi said:
To be fair, Cast is saying it's the best "Zelda" game ever, and we know how he feels about that sort of thing. (Of course, we also know how he feels about Nintendo.) I'm keeping my opinions neutral on the game until I play it.

Oh, I'm not writing off Okami, i'm just concerned about some of the points Himu is bringing up. If Cast is on-board the love train, then that definitely means something in my eyes, since I have similar taste.

Drinky Crow said:
I ain't saying it's the best Zelda game ever -- cuz it isn't. It's just way, way better than Wind Waker. Better art direction; better graphics; better world design and mechanics; hell, better story and characterization. Nintendo wishes they made this game.

But what about dungeons? While I care for the other things, you and I both know story and characterizations are a moot point if there are no awesome dungeons, boss fights. I'm rather worried about the handholding. I HATE handholding.

Mifune

Mehmber
Branduil said:
Because we've all played all the Wii games already and know how deep and long they are.

And Zelda is a Wii game.

I'm just guessing here, but seeing as the Gamecube didn't have a launch game that couldn't be beaten in 8 hours or less, and the Wii seems to be a march further in the "accessible" direction, the chances of us getting an exclusive Wii game at launch (or anytime close) with any sort of meat on it are just about nil.

I disagree about Zelda. I think it's a GC game with Wii functionality tacked on.

I'm only 5 hrs into the game and I actually agree with some of Himuro's points. The handholding really needs to stop, I need to explore on my own and I actually want to be challenged on ocassion. Still the game has been great so far and feels totally inspired. I;ll probably keep it at that since I've barely scratched the surface.

SaitoH said:
Himuro and Amirox.
Well yes I should have mentioned that. And no I don't have a problem with this its a hell of a lot better than Ami and Himuro lobbing broadsides and inane Yakuza comparisons at each other. I do take issue with the term overrated since it is the height of pretense because it assumes your opinion is somehow more valid than others but oh well.

Speevy

Banned
I like relaxing games, and Okami is definitely that. That's the reason I like Nintendo games, because you're not being assaulted constantly.

And honestly, I don't mind being told how to do a puzzle either. I have very little time on my hands as it is, and traversing an entire world because I couldn't figure out something when I should be on the opposite end doing something is not my idea of fun.

Like I said before in the other thread, too much critical analysis is the death of a good gaming experience. The worst games have flaws that are inescapable, not little annoyances that could be seen as endearing by different eyes.

Sysgen

As far as hand holding didn't SH2 have a hint variable that the player could set? Seems that would of alleviated some of the animousity.

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I'm with Himuro on this one.

My initial impressions of it were very very positive, as it brings so many new and different things to the table. It's impossible not to be grinning from ear to ear as you play for the first couple of hours, but the patronizing handholding takes much of the problem solving fun away.

I still think it's a great game and is probably the most audacious achievment in artistic presentation of any videogame in recent memory. But it is too easy, and the battles are a mess. Less Issun and less blah-blah-blah would've made it more fun in my book. Heck just let me speed-read/skip any text instead of making some of them un-fastfowardable. I love the game, but it isn't perfect, and much of what it achieves isn't really in the game part of the game, if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom