• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo invests in outstanding hardware yet still fails to win over 3rd parties..

Astral Dog

If you look, you can see a perfect spot where the Wii should have fit in to make the perfect stair step effect.

The Wii was such a fad/fluke and got dropped as soon as everyone got over the hype and devs/pubs realized that they didn't want to make a special game for Nintendo instead of being able to port it. Nintendo didn't learn with the WiiU either.

That chart should read something like:

NES, SNES, N64, Game Cube, (insert kids toy holiday fad), WiiU.

When the NX drops and it's on par with the PS4 and XboxOne, Nintendo better hope that this generation lasts as long as the last one did because if Microsoft decides to pull the plug year 4 or 5 on the XB1 and bring out a new console, Sony will follow and Nintendo will be stuck holding the poopy diapers once again, having just released their now under powered console and history repeats itself.

But with all that said, I agree. Nobody is expecting much from the NX and Nintendo should probably eventually move on from the console game.

i thought the wii had a lot of interesting third party games, of the b/c style we no longer have much, Nintendo should have kept the wii alive a bit longer they dropped too soon,

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I really dont get the mindsets of some Nintendo faithful.

They consider literally everything and everyone to be biased against Nintendo..and don't even consider that Nintendo could be wrong in any scenario especially concerning their third party situation or how they have ended up.

I see the sentiment a lot that if Nintendo did make a powerful unit and nobody bought it, it would not be Nintendo's fault for burning those bridges, but the fault of the people who didn't buy it for being 'anti Nintendo'.

Maligna

Banned
I know Nintendo fans don't like to hear it, but I'm not willing to buy Nintendo hardware just for their exclusives. No, strong third party support, no buy.

I'm just waiting for the day when I can play Mario on my PlayStation. It will be so much easier. I do like Nintendo's games, just not their hardware.

What am I, a charity?
Nothing further needs to be said.

If Nintendo fails they deserve it. I'm not going to make a pity purchase. And quite frankly, they burned the third party bridges. So if they fail, it's completely on them. I'm not buying any system just for Nintendo exclusives.

Having good games, a good online infrastructure, and a reasonable price is the starting point.

Voting with your wallet. If the people who at present demand they make a powerful console don't support then what reason does Nintendo have to ever go that route again?
It's on Nintendo to create a product that appeals to consumers. Nintendo's lack of support this generation wasn't because people have a bone to pick with Nintendo or some kind of punishment for not making a powerful console, it's because Nintendo made a product with almost no consumer appeal. Even worse, they alienated the very developers that could have helped draw consumers to their poorly conceived product.

Nintendo fucked up, and they've reaped the rewards of their many missteps. No matter how powerful their next console is, they need to prove to consumers that their product is worth buying.

jblank83

If Nintendo invests in outstanding hardware yet still fails to win over 3rd parties.

SECRET: 3rd parties love money and cheap ports. The biggest problem with Wii and Wii U was that they were so far out of the current gen spec. They were non-standard architecture as well. Which meant producing ports for the systems was prohibitive. It's why so many EA and Ubisoft games on Wii were original projects, not cutdown ports.

On the consumer side, why would anyone buy a hugely inferior Wii or U port 6 months later when it exists elsewhere, better and cheaper? Everything worked with Wii because it was so novel and disruptive. It didn't with U because it wasn't.

Nintendo's biggest job with the next system is creating a Western friendly architecture. Everything else will flow from there.

That said, I'll probably buy it because I know there will be games I'll enjoy and they'll be high quality. I can't say the same of Playstation 4, on which, 2 years after purchase, I have only 2 retail games (and a bunch of "free" PSN games I never play). I say the same of PS4 as I'd say of Wii U, "why would I buy worse ports of games I can get cheaper on PC?" That accounts for almost every Western game I'm interested in, like Witcher.

Eventually PS4 will have more titles, but the lack of Japanese output this generation and last from the likes of Capcom, Squenix, and others has been shockingly terrible (insert "mobile phone disaster" conversation here). Sony has also been incredibly slow to release major quality titles (no, Knack doesn't count). By the end of this year it will be a lot better, but it's been a hell of a long, slow time getting there.

RedSwirl

Then it would still be on Nintendo for not doing enough to attract 3rd party support. Building a console that can actually run what 3rd parties want to make is just the first step. Nintendo has to play ball with publishers in a way it probably never has, and how Sony and Microsoft have been doing.

Right now I'm leaning on the side of thinking the onus is on Nintendo to prove to 3rd parties that the kinds of games you see from EA or Ubisoft can sell on Nintendo consoles, and I honestly don't think 2016 Nintendo can do that. 1996 Nintendo perhaps.

Besides making its platform as accommodating as reasonably possible to western publishers, Nintendo would likely have to have a handful of first party hits appealing directly to adult western gamers. This doesn't mean sacrificing the image of Mario or Zelda or Pokemon, but it does mean diversifying. Nintendo's internal Japan game development teams are very unlikely to make games different from what they're making so it would have to work with western developers. Maybe give the ones it's already working with more autonomy, maybe let NOA and NOE be more than glorified localization houses. Sony has Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, etc. At least a couple of Nintendo's equivalent games would have to be big hits too. Probably GoldenEye big.

Nintendo's biggest job with the next system is creating a Western friendly architecture. Everything else will flow from there.

Absolutely nothing will flow from there except (maybe) a higher number of multiplatform titles relative to Wii U in the first 6-12 months.

But that's a low bar to clear, and hardware parity is a passive thing. It does nothing to actively cultivate an audience for third-party multiplatform IP on NX.

I don't know what Nintendo is going to do, because based on their previous track records, 3rd parties wouldn't even release their games on Nintendo hardware due to a shit install base.

It's a vicious cycle. Nintendo doesn't sell well because their console lacks a bunch of online and 3rd party support, and 3rd parties don't support Nintendo because they have no install base.

It's sad that people are still trying to dismiss the wii so incorrectly. It's 2016. Get over it
It's pretty accurate and it never bothered me one bit. I'm simply stating facts and expressing my thoughts on a pattern that they could easily fall back into again.
i thought the wii had a lot of interesting third party games, of the b/c style we no longer have much, Nintendo should have kept the wii alive a bit longer they dropped too soon,
They didn't really have a choice once devs stopped supporting them. And devs didn't have a choice unless they wanted to spend money and resources making a special game for Nintendo every time they wanted to "port" a game to their system.

Tobor

It's up to Nintendo to create an environment for 3rd parties to sell software.

It's not just the quality of the hardware. They have to market the hardware to the right kind of consumer, first and foremost. That requires a 180 in 1st party content, marketing, and design.

I'm not convinced that even now, with all on the line, that they have the stomach to do what is required to draw in third party support.

LewieP

I always buy the box that lets me play Nintendo games.

I don't expect NX to receive comprehensive and robust support from the big western third party publishers. At best they’ll get token efforts from EA/Activision/Ubisoft/WB/Bethesda etc. because those publishers will be basing their decision on whether to support NX on how likely it is they'll make good money, and I don't really blame them for this (although I'd like to see them avoid hollow "unprecedented partnership" statements).

I would however be more disappointed if Nintendo don't manage to get more support from Japanese publishers, smaller publishers, indie developers, and mobile devs with games that are a good fit for porting to consoles. I'd also like to see Nintendo step up their range of strategic partnerships with external studios to fill the gaps in their offering.

Third party support isn't an on/off situation. Regardless of the specs of the devices they ship, they won't get industry support on par with Playstation or Xbox unless they are able to create a proven market for third party games on par with Playstation or Xbox. I don't think there is any way Nintendo would be able to achieve this at short notice. For publishers and devs that don't need to sell massive numbers of units for supporting a platform to be economically viable, I think NX could be an attractive platform from launch, if Nintendo play their cards right.

seat

Nintendo couldn't even get an original Zelda game out on Wii U before their next console. Yeesh. They should just give up making games and focus on making figurines. Seem to be headed that way already anyway.

It's pretty accurate and it never bothered me one bit. I'm simply stating facts and expressing my thoughts on a pattern that they could easily fall back into again.

They didn't really have a choice once devs stopped supporting them. And devs didn't have a choice unless they wanted to spend money and resources making a special game for Nintendo every time they wanted to "port" a game to their system.

Your wii story was a work of fiction

jblank83

I don't know what Nintendo is going to do, because based on their previous track records, 3rd parties wouldn't even release their games on Nintendo hardware due to a shit install base.

It's a vicious cycle. Nintendo doesn't sell well because their console lacks a bunch of online and 3rd party support, and 3rd parties don't support Nintendo because they have no install base.

Wii sold 900 million units of software, only 350 million of which were Nintendo titles. They did quite well for some 3rd parties, particularly Ubisoft. It's why they went to the trouble of making Wii-specific projects, even with the extra architectural challenge. It's why every major publisher initially supported the Wii U during the launch window, including EA, Activision, and especially Ubisoft, even if they were sloppy ports or "launch window" type games (eg that Rabbids game). When it was apparent the system was tanking, that's when they pulled out.

The narrative that Nintendo can never have 3rd party games only holds true for the Wii U and that because the system was a failure of monumental proportions. Even the Wii had enough support to be notable. The main hurdle to Western support is in fact the hardware. Companies like Epic were the main detractor at U launch, due to technical issues with the hardware (ie underpowered, non-standard).

References:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wii.html

Given even a moderate install base and hardware of adequate power, it's not going to be a tough sell to get major publishers and developers on board.

There is absolutely no way the NX is going to have "outstanding hardware". Maybe a little more powerful than the PS4, but considering that will have been on the market for over 3 years...

Box

I think there's an implication that people sometimes give when they're criticizing Nintendo that suggests that, if they were to do things better, they would then turn around and buy their systems.

So I see where you're coming from, you're thinking "Well people keep criticizing Nintendo for weak hardware and not having third parties. How would people feel if Nintendo made an honest attempt at winning them over?"

In reality, these people are not waiting for an excuse to buy a Nintendo system. They have fundamental issues with Nintendo's whole approach to gaming. They might only like a few games or franchises from them. Getting a Nintendo system just doesn't make sense for them.

Nevertheless, these people who have very little interest in Nintendo end up doing a lot of very harsh criticism of them. I can understand why. There's a lot of evangelism of games, systems, etc that happens here and in the community at large. At E3 time, we all try to debate who won and we end up defending why we're not interested in things.

I've been through it on the other end with Sony stuff. I feel as though there are just as many if not more Sony fans/evangelists on the forum as there are for Nintendo. In the lead up to the PS4, I let myself be open to the possibility that this would be a system that I would be interested in. I did this because other people were raving about it, but it was a waste of time. I'm glad I didn't spend any significant amount of time hanging around PS4 threads complaining about how I wasn't interested in any of the games. I would have been right, but I wouldn't have been arguing in good faith. The fact is I have very significant disagreement with Sony's approach to gaming and it should have been no surprise that I would find their E3s lackluster. Even the memetic 2015 conference, it didn't do anything for me. Does it really make sense, after that conference, to complain that I wasn't impressed?

So in conclusion, I would recommend accounting for the fact that a lot of the people complaining about Nintendo aren't waiting to be converted. A symbolic gesture doesn't really mean much for them.

Fredrik

At this point third parties are a bonus for them.

If you exclude those who already like Nintendo you'll end up in this scenario:

• People won't buy a Nintendo console until third party AAA games has been released.
• Third party AAA games won't be released on a Nintendo console until people has bought the console.

To make things even trickier we have this scenario too:

• People won't buy a Nintendo console even though the third parties say that they are onboard because they still don't believe that the mature games will arrive.
• The third parties won't release their mature titles on a Nintendo console because they still don't believe that the people who bought the console are interested in mature games.

Conclusion. Buy a powerful Nintendo console because you'll get awesome looking and running AAA Nintendo games, everything else will be a bonus.

Neoxon

SECRET: 3rd parties love money and cheap ports. The biggest problem with Wii and Wii U was that they were so far out of the current gen spec. They were non-standard architecture as well. Which meant producing ports for the systems was prohibitive. It's why so many EA and Ubisoft games on Wii were original projects, not cutdown ports.

On the consumer side, why would anyone buy a hugely inferior Wii or U port 6 months later when it exists elsewhere, better and cheaper? Everything worked with Wii because it was so novel and disruptive. It didn't with U because it wasn't.

That said, I'll probably buy it because I know there will be games I'll enjoy and they'll be high quality. I can't say the same of Playstation 4, on which, 2 years after purchase, I have only 2 retail games (and a bunch of "free" PSN games I never play). I say the same of PS4 as I'd say of Wii U, "why would I buy worse ports of games I can get cheaper on PC?" That accounts for almost every Western game I'm interested in, like Witcher.

Eventually PS4 will have more titles, but the lack of Japanese output this generation and last from the likes of Capcom, Squenix, and others has been shockingly terrible (insert "mobile phone disaster" conversation here). Sony has also been incredibly slow to release major quality titles (no, Knack doesn't count). By the end of this year it will be a lot better, but it's been a hell of a long, slow time getting there.
That alone won't do much. Nintendo also has to prove that an audience for AAA western third party games exists on Nintendo systems. As of right now, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

At this point third parties are a bonus for them.

If you exclude those who already like Nintendo you'll end up in this scenario:

• People won't buy a Nintendo console until third party AAA games has been released.
• Third party AAA games won't be released on a Nintendo console until people has bought the console.

To make things even trickier we have this scenario too:

• People won't buy a Nintendo console even though the third parties say that they are onboard because they still don't believe that the mature games will arrive.
• The third parties won't release their mature titles on a Nintendo console because they don't believe that the people who bought the console are interested in mature games.

Conclusion. Buy a powerful Nintendo console because you'll get awesome looking and running AAA Nintendo games, everything else will be a bonus.
This is the exact situation that Nintendo's stuck in that will take years to get out of.

So I see where you're coming from, you're thinking "Well people keep criticizing Nintendo for weak hardware and not having third parties. How would people feel if Nintendo made an honest attempt at winning them over?"

In reality, these people are not waiting for an excuse to buy a Nintendo system. They have fundamental issues with Nintendo's whole approach to gaming. They might only like a few games or franchises from them. Getting a Nintendo system just doesn't make sense for them.

Nevertheless, these people who have very little interest in Nintendo end up doing a lot of very harsh criticism of them. I can understand why. There's a lot of evangelism of games, systems, etc that happens here and in the community at large. At E3 time, we all try to debate who won and we end up defending why we're not interested in things.
This is very true, in bizarro world.

Like, are you being serious here? The entire gaming market is out to get Nintendo because they have a fundamental disagreement about how a gaming company makes games?

Where's that Will Farrel gif?

Stiler

Nintendo will never win over 3rd parties.

That can't be their strategy for success, even if they could.

3rd parties have little to do with the success of Nintendo's future. At least not in the traditional sense.

? I don't get this.

It's like some people live in a bubble or think only because they themselves have other consoles (ps4/xbone) that Nintendo doesn't "need" third parties.

When the average person is buying a console and they compare the three, seeing which console has good exclusives but also has the huge third party games like CoD/Madden/etc is a HUGE thing.

Most average people do not buy all consoles, they pick or choose one and that's that. So having a console with little/no third party support is a huge no for many people and they'd rather buy the consoles that have that + good exclusives.

If Nintendo yet again goes the Wii U route they are going to be in for another rude awakening down the road when it doesn't sell well.

IF they want to get back on track they need:

1. Easy to develop for
2. Easy to port for
3. Reasonable price
4. Not focused on a gimmick.

Box

Honestly I wish people wouldn't take it as an axiom that Nintendo needs the support of the usual western third parties. Like that's how Sony and Microsoft work, but for Nintendo, the bigger issue is whether people are interested in Nintendo games. I know a lot of people act like the number of Nintendo fans is bounded at 10 million or whatever the Wii U sold, but it's actually more of a spectrum. In reality, the number of Nintendo fans can grow or shrink depending on how appealing their products are. It's really as simple as making good games/systems that (key point here) demonstrate value to consumers. Third parties are kind of a side issue. What really matters is whether people like Nintendo stuff or not.

This is very true, in bizarro world.

Like, are you being serious here? The entire gaming market is out to get Nintendo because they have a fundamental disagreement about how a gaming company makes games?

Where's that Will Farrel gif?

Yes? Look, there are people who just don't really like Nintendo games. They're not just a few hertz and flops away from switching sides.

I don't know about this "out to get" business. People have different things they like about games. Nintendo has a very different focus from some of these other companies. They'd have to change a whole lot of things to really appeal to them, the fans and consumers of other companies' products.

Like there's another thread where the main point is that Nintendo games are underwhelming because they don't focus on narrative and darker themes. There's kind of a big gap between what Nintendo does and what this person wants. I'd say it's a fundamental difference on what games focus on.

Neoxon

? I don't get this.

It's like some people live in a bubble or think only because they themselves have other consoles (ps4/xbone) that Nintendo doesn't "need" third parties.

When the average person is buying a console and they compare the three, seeing which console has good exclusives but also has the huge third party games like CoD/Madden/etc is a HUGE thing.

Most average people do not buy all consoles, they pick or choose one and that's that. So having a console with little/no third party support is a huge no for many people and they'd rather buy the consoles that have that + good exclusives.

If Nintendo yet again goes the Wii U route they are going to be in for another rude awakening down the road when it doesn't sell well.

IF they want to get back on track they need:

1. Easy to develop for
2. Easy to port for
3. Reasonable price
4. Not focused on a gimmick.
You also forgot one step.

5. Have an audience willing to buy third party games.

That's the one thing that, even if the other four boxes are checked off, Nintendo will inherently lack at launch. It's up to Nintendo alone to cultivate such an audience before third parties like Bethesda or From Software will give a shit about the NX Platform.

ironcreed

Banned
To be honest, they won me back over with the Wii U, but I bailed on it because I saw the end and now my doubts increase again with recent news. How should I feel?

Well, I am a pragmatist of the highest order. Yet I have no doubt that games like the next Zelda will be great... whenever it releases. However, I really think that it is time to accept that Nintendo is so behind the times that it is laughable.They are going to be left in the dust come next March... should they even launch then. Once again, only the die hard and a few stragglers will give damn and that will be the tale of it. Hard, yet true.

Lothars

Your wii story was a work of fiction
It's really not and that is proven by the Wii-U, a system built on gimmicks with some great games and barley sold, The Wii has some great games and sold incredibly well and was an anomaly in sales but sales dropped off over night because Nintendo just gave up on it.

The lack of third party support really hurt both systems and Nintendo needs to step it up with the third party developers in order to succeed.

The NX will live and die on what Nintendo does so hopefully they succeed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nintendo is usually only supported if they are going to be the market leader for a generation or sell a lot to untapped demographics.

People blame the third parties, but apparently have no knowledge of how terrible Nintendo has interacted with third parties since the NES. Nintendo made A LOT of money charging companies for each cartridge unit bought by the company and then sold to a consumer. It's the reason why they were fighting up until the end of the 64 to keep the cartridge in their hands. The bad blood with Square risen because Nintendo wouldn't give up the potential money maker of the cartridge and wouldn't take any of the third parties advice.

Given a choice, most devs/publishers would rather deal with Sony or Microsoft first. They dealt with them for the Wii because the console sold a lot especially to expanding untapped demographics. With the DS and 3DS they are market leaders with an easy to develop platform.

To the OP:

They might make the powerful console that developers want but still have the interaction with third parties of past Nintendo and a big problem is that they are going to miss out on this Holiday's release. No one is going to buy the big multiplatforms on NX months after they had released on the other consoles.

Malcolm9

As much as I love Nintendo 1st party titles I think having strong 3rd party support is vital if they want to sell more consoles.

The main reason is choice, if you are a fan of various AAA titles and you know it won't be released on the NX you are going to look at either the PS4 or Xbox One.

Everyone looks at Nintendo consoles mainly as their second console, what about changing that thought process to making it their first console choice.

I think Nintendo have a great opportunity to repair their console reputation with the NX, hopefully this is the case.

haimon

It is not, and has never been a issue of only power.

It's power and tools and making sure your console is close to your competitors.

We heard about how Wiiu tools were not up to par when it released. We heard they told devs not to compare their online to the other 2 consoles since the engineers did not have experience with them.

If Nintendo continue on this insular and bubble view, they will never be able to get much third party support.

Astral Dog

Obviously the wii was made to get original games, not compete with the 360 and PS3 but keep costs down for more exclusivity, and it worked in a way. Ninyendo should have kept it alive one year more, not that it would change things much.

They tried the same with Wii U but of course backfired due to HD costs and low sales.

The whole promise is flawed.
To think that a powerful Nintendo console will bring 3rd parties.
To think that a powerful Nintendo console with 3rd parties would sell.
A lot of people on gaf saying they would buy it if it was powerful and had 3rd parties don't mean it. Why ? Because it's simple logic. If they want 3rd parties, they already bought another platform. What's the incentive for them to change platform ? None.

People didn't waited Nintendo to buy a "powerful" console with 3rd parties. What people are saying is it's in Nintendo's best interest to shove millions, even billions, to offer the same as Sony and Microsoft. What's even the point ? This segment of the market is already in the hands of Sony and Microsoft. What would be the point to fight hard to get the rests of this segment of the market ?

Was Xenoblade Chronicles X 1st party? Bravely Default? Fatal Frame?

Xenoblade Chronicles X is 1st party. As for the censorship... come on, I found dumb that people are complaining because they can't see video games characters wearing lingerie. Seriously.

Proxy

Nintendo already burned me on the Wii U. So why would I want another Nintendo console that goes months on end without any worthwhile games being released?

Malakai

Yes, sure there would be an audience for third party for Nintendo, if, historically, they even bother to advertise the Wii/Wii U version of their game(s). For example, according to various posters threads years ago, the Call of Duty series often didn't even mention Wii version of the game. Essentially, customers would be surprised that Wii version even Call of Duty existed.

Another example, one of the guys from Nintendo Enthusiast went on a rant on how they were sent photos and display materials for Let's Dance. However, for the Wii U version of Assassin Creed, the site didn't receive any marketing materials for the site.

It comes off very disingenuous for people to say that Nintendo audience doesn't buy third party games or that Nintendo have to build and audience for them, when they go of their way and sabotage their own success.

correojon

I don´t buy consoles for their hardware, I do it for their software. Nintendo offers something I can´t get elsewhere so as long as the games are there, I´ll be there too.

If I wanted a juggernaut machine I would invest my money on a better PC.

I assume "3rd parties" really means "western AAA support" in context. In which case, sure. I wouldn't miss it. Not as a "thanks for trying" though. I enjoy Nintendo's software output enough to justify the purchase.

I get the feeling that the NX is going to have a lot of mid-size Japanese publisher support and western indie support though, which is my shit. That's what I'm all about. Throw in a few flagships from Square Enix and I'd be over the moon. I'd pay $300-400 for that, no hesitation.

zoukka

Nintendo needs to a lot of work to attaract the missing 3rd party support. Nothing will be given to them for free at this point.

Top Bottom