• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Culdcept Revolt Nintendo Direct - May 11th 20:30 JST

shaowebb

An direct for Culdcept only? Huh?

Didn't know that Culdcept is that important of a game
Culdcept is HUGE in japan. Every time they've released a game they've had the Cepters cup tournament for it with a prize. One year was a leather bound DS case that was customized with Culdcept stuff on it. Another year was a Special limited edition victors only Culdcept 3ds handheld. That last one was setup where you had to play, earn cepter points and they grabbed folks who had the most points and it qualified them for the tournament.

Hell the woman who advertised Culdcept a "Cepko Culd" became an immediate sex symbol and went from an unknown actress to idol overnight for doing the Culdcept ads.

Culdcept even has songs in Smash Bros 4 because its composer is the legendary KENJI ITO. The talking Staff Goligan is even a trophy on the 3ds.

Culdcept amiibo incoming
I freaking wish!
please bring this one over

No more captive franchises please. #NameThePrice
I have been personally emailing Nintendo and hitting up Omiyasoft's twitter about this for months since Revolt was first teased,.

Those of us on Culdcept Central still hold tournaments and regular matches to this day for Saga and the handhelds and they are always up for matches. They translate every card as its released and put them up on lists online for folks to play. We figure out the menus together and how to even get the DLC.

Insomniac Games' Ted Price even hails Culdcept for the PS2 as his all time favorite game on that console!

Here's the OT for the series on Neogaf

It explains everything. My recent post at the end even outlines how to setup the dlc on the 3ds in japanese if you go as far as I did to play the remasters.

Basically if you ever wanted to punch someone in the face in monopoly and take their hotel you can in this game. You either pay the toll or battle the monster thats defending the land in a magic the gathering style card battle. Winner is whoever reaches a certain monetary value first but since money is how you pay to summon creatures to hold land, level land, cast spells, buy stock in the colors of land being leveled on the board for increased bonuses every lap, and how you also pay to use various equipment when either defending or attacking land you stop on after dice rolls it gets pretty intense.

Game is one of the greatest ever designed, the art in it for the cards is done by LEGENDS in the business and the artbooks are to die for.

If this gets localized I'm running tournaments.

Jirotrom

Culdcept was amazing on ps2 (I still have it) culdcept saga was my favorite game on 360. I really hope they bring this to the US

shaowebb

So far I bought an Xbox 360 for Culdcept. A japanese 3ds. Bought the artbooks (several hundred there...). The promo deck of 54 cards that were Japan Club Nintendo only items. Im trying to hunt down the Cepters cup 3ds and DS case prizes (Doubt they'll ever be for sale but they'll be mine if so).And I have a gigantic Culdcept store display framed and hanging in my home from japan.
vmgUe.jpg

THIS DIRECT IS EVERYTHING TO ME.

Localize it pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

Peltz

They did public announcement of underwhelming and disappointing decision and plans from April '16 to march '17. Worldwide.
And the first official "normal PR" activity announced (I can tag it as positive, if you prefer) is for a very small, niche game, for Japan only (that even in Japan sells very few copies).
So, if I have to judge their PR/Marketing decisions, shouldn't I notice how their "disappointing" info were huge and worldwide and the first normal PR activity is such a small one?

Iwata also did Digital Event for E3, Directs for worldwide audiences and games, and released platform and games at an higher pace than what is happening from his death.

Me too I'd like. But this is another JP only Culdcept/Direct.
Gah... This post made me genuinely sad.

Ridley327

It's really weird that the first 3DS game remains the only major title that's stayed in Japan. Really hope that changes with this installment.

shoplifter

Most excited about ND i've been in ages. Hopefully they have the good sense to release it here, even if it's digital only.

Eradicate

So far I bought an Xbox 360 for Culdcept. A japanese 3ds. Bought the artbooks (several hundred there...). The promo deck of 54 cards that were Japan Club Nintendo only items. Im trying to hunt down the Cepters cup 3ds and DS case prizes (Doubt they'll ever be for sale but they'll be mine if so).And I have a gigantic Culdcept store display framed and hanging in my home from japan.
vmgUe.jpg

shaowebb, your posts have been incredible here!

If you get a petition or anything going to make certain this game gets localized, I'll sign it just for you! You are a true dedicated fan!

(I've never played any of them, but I've heard a lot about them! I'll have to watch this Direct to see what it's about!)

I remember hearing Shane Bettenhausen talkijg about these games, he would play the 360 version and while the animations played out would have switch to a match on the DS version he had going at the same time.

Always wanted to try the series

shaowebb

v1x1dbs.gif

Hnggggg those new cards.

Culdcept Review Preview Card List Translation

Some choice things from the new game that fans have translated.

a5NbaOG.jpg

Cactus Wall Earth
ST:10 HP:50 MHP:50 G:50
Item Limit: Cannot use scrolls
Defensive / In Battle: HP+50 if opposing creature is Water or Air.

EqVfyp1.jpg

Earth Spirit Earth
ST:40 HP:30 MHP:30 G:60
Each time its territory is leveled up, MHP+10 (Up to a maximum of 100).

CAXiVSw.jpg

Serpent Fly Normal Air
ST:40 HP:30 MHP:30 G:70
Land Limit: Cannot be placed on Fire
Item Limit: Cannot use scrolls
Attacks First / Receives territory bonus from Water land.

QSIbzIw.jpg

Gold Hammer
G:50
ST+40 / Upon Victory: User gains 200G.

5uj5zfA.jpg

Dominant Growth Single-Enchant
G:50
Each time the target territory is leveled up, MHP+20 to the occupying creature (Up to a maximum of 100).

Now stop and think...you can level up land to level 5. Earth Spirit+Dominant Growth means you raise his base HP enormously with every level. This is now the strongest land holder I know of in the game save maybe Aspidochelone if it manages to return again. I am on fire wanting to try out some of these new cards and waiting to hear what other cards are on their way.

TreIII

I've been casually interested in this series for a while, but was kind of hoping that the upcoming title would get localized so that I could support it, too.

But hey, I do have a JP 3DS LL for my MonHun gaming...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
vmgUe.jpg

Man Id kill to get that massive poster you got there. Good stuff! Never seen that before either. Which version of the game is that from?

Yort

I bought the 360 game years ago for $10, but I've never played it. I take it from the responses here, that it's worth giving a try?

Boney

Banned
If you like awesome niche established franchises, Nintendo is the worst publisher to take over, even if in some cases the japanese release wouldn't exist without them.

Being teased is worse than death

eagledare

Sunk hundreds over of hours into the ps2 and 360 versions of Culdcept. If it's not coming to NA I'll have to start learning kanji I guess.

shaowebb

I bought the 360 game years ago for $10, but I've never played it. I take it from the responses here, that it's worth giving a try?

Culdcept is life. Game is amazing and yes you should play. I recommend using some tetraarm + nuclear fusion shenanigans to hit their base health for 100. This direct attack to their base health before land bonuses is devastating and can wipe out most things in the game. Usually folks rely on leveling up land that matches their creature's color to gain bonuses to health so they are harder to take out, but scrolls attack base health and Tetraarm uses any item twice so invade with him + the strongest scroll in the game and BAM! 100 health gone and most creatures average around 30 base health.

Also aspidochelone is your buddy in Saga as well. Every round his stats go up in battle so he can hold land and take it when you land on stuff or want to invade someone by moving him over into their territory. I've seen him at over 200 st and 200 hp easily and he can be equipped with armor or weapons too.

None of these cards have been announced to my knowledge for Revolt so enjoy em in Saga!

I can't wait to find out what crazy card combos will exist in Revolt. Some card combo tactics are absolutely eeeeeeeevil.

My favorite douchebag Culdcept Card Combo has to be this one...
The Rambling Monk said:
Leprechaun
ST:20 HP:20 MHP:20 G:40+
Battle Start: Gives opponent its own item and forces them to use it.

Death Choker
G:60
ST+30 / Penetrates / Battle End: Equipped creature is destroyed.
"The housewarming gift from hell!" - The Rambling Monk

Basically if you did this in Culdcept Saga whether you were attacking or defending it guaranteed that the enemy died. Even if you lost your Leprechaun in the fight no one would have a creature left alive to claim the territory where they fought so you didn't have to worry about your opponent taking your stuff even in a worst case scenario...when attacking though it was absolutely horrible to have a super healthy wall creature with like 130 health and be handed a death choker by this little bastard. Even if he died invading it meant you wouldn't have to pay some insane toll from a fully leveled territory which would then be up for grabs for whoever could plop a creature down onto that spot on the board! XD

shaowebb

I gotta say if there is any NFC device stuff in this announcement I would fully expect Culdcept Revolt to use Amiibo cards as the device. Its a no brainer tie in to the game theme.
Man Id kill to get that massive poster you got there. Good stuff! Never seen that before either. Which version of the game is that from?

Ps2 :D
Its super old. Its not a poster either...store display. Thing is thick cardboard!

MLH

Thanks to fan translators I've played the DS version. I enjoyed it a lot, the card illustrations are great; I really love the style. Gameplay is really fun, never been a huge fan card games but I enjoyed it. Would love to see the series pushed more in the west, it deserves it.

Keep up the excellent posts. The more information you can get out there the better. This is one of the few excellent games series left that doesn't get a proper amount of attention. Everyone wants to claim this and that should receive more attention but this series is the king of underappreciation in the West.

Qwark

Hmm, I'm mixing Culdcept up with a different game. What's that Microsoft franchise that had one game on Xbox? It was getting rebooted for Xbox One but then they had a bunch of development drama and they're maybe starting from scratch and/or canceling it? It was a third person action game with a focus on magic attacks I think, not sure why I get it confused with Culdcept.

Edit: Ah, Phantom Dust. Well that's not anything like this. My first thought was how weird that Nintendo somehow got a Microsoft franchise.

Phantom Dust? I think that game uses cards somehow too even though it's an action game, probably why you got them confused.

That's it, thanks :)

Hmm, I'm mixing Culdcept up with a different game. What's that Microsoft franchise that had one game on Xbox? It was getting rebooted for Xbox One but then they had a bunch of development drama and they're maybe starting from scratch and/or canceling it? It was a third person action game with a focus on magic attacks I think, not sure why I get it confused with Culdcept.

Phantom Dust? I think that game uses cards somehow too even though it's an action game, probably why you got them confused.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I gotta say if there is any NFC device stuff in this announcement I would fully expect Culdcept Revolt to use Amiibo cards as the device. Its a no brainer tie in to the game theme.

Ps2 :D
Its super old. Its not a poster either...store display. Thing is thick cardboard!

Nice!

Oh god its the version with the frosted hamster asshole. D: That white fluffball thing. Man I remember in that game freeforalls turned into AI vs human instead lol.

So much stress, so much good times. So much stress...

Its too bad they never did a home version of Key of Avalon as that pretty much was an arcade Culdcept even though it didnt use the IP name. And as usual broken decks ruled that game D: Army Ant decks the bane existence with my short time I spent playing / collecting cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7PDjJqheQ

Culdcept is one of those games that goes into the Dokapon / Itadaki Street levels of bullshit with things lol

shaowebb

Its hard not to love a game that can give you cards that are as memorable as Spudfolk or Mirage in terms of art styles.

0tmqYy6.jpg
A83wsXk.jpg

Look at that glorious bastard on the left. You know you want this game in your life. The original had Cornfolk, Saga gave us Spudfolk...whats next for Revolt? Maybe Carrotfolk? Pumpkinfolk? Turnipfolk? I am eager to find out what veggies await us.

shaowebb

I honestly own extra copies of Culdcept Saga just to get people to play it lol. Culdcept is just that amazing. I am gonna be all over preordering after this direct is over. I wanna know if there are any special editions or anything.

I've always been curious about the brand. When I was younger my local library had some copies of the manga and it seemed interesting enough but they never got anything past the third book. I didn't know it was a game as well...

Top Bottom