• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Activision shot themselves in the foot with the MW Remastered paywall?

LeleSocho

Banned
I think Battlefield 1 being a gigaton more interesting has more probability to do damage than a forced paywall for MWHD

Honestly I don't really care about IW. I just want that CoD 4 remastered. I'll wait to see if they'll release it separately before making my decision but as of now its BF1 all the way.

I'm interested in the remaster and have no desire for the other game that comes packed in with it... (or was it the other way around?).

I'll buy it when it is below 30 bucks, I can wait years!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Someone post the picture of the Boycott MW2 steam group where every person was playing MW2.

Yeah but these situations aren't really comparable. COD as a whole is pretty stale by now and doesn't have the same appeal it did back then to a lot of people. MW2 was the sequel everybody was going nuts for at the time. They've released tons of shitty uninspired sequels since then.

Rocketz

I wanted it but now I don't care. I'm not buying a special edition of a game I don't want to play it.

There are plenty of other games this holiday season that I can play.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think Battlefield 1 being a gigaton more interesting has more probability to do damage than a forced paywall for MWHD

eh...i dunno about that. if people prefer the cod style tdm gameplay to battlefield objective gameplay...i don't see people ditching cod for battlefield beyond playing through the campaign. i mean if none of the previous battlefield games convinced you to switch why would this one (assuming the bf gameplay isn't going to be drastically different)?

They obviously want to sell the newest COD. If they release MW4 as a standalone game then they will be hurting their own annual franchise.

Schlorgan

Only if you'll be required to have the IW disc in the system. My purchase of that game hinges on me being able to download the Remaster then immediately turn around and trade in my copy of IW.

poodaddy

It'll probably work but I don't care for it personally. I don't give two shits about Infinite but I do want the MW remaster, but Ill wait for the inevitable stand alone release; I'm a patient guy.

If it turns out that the MW Remaster is just a code in a box, similar to what they did with MW2 and CoD Classic, then eBay is going to be flooded with copies of Infinite Warfare. Hopefully it'll be just as flooded with codes for the Remaster.

so I saw the infinite warfare trailer and the amount of dislike is huge and I'm not sure why, it's not like the sci-fi call of duty is new, suddenly this going to space element is what make people dislike CoD? the trailer is just okay with me, it looks really bad now in comparison to Battlefield 1 visual, but I didn't find the visual ugly or anything.

or, is the dislike more because what OP mention that they put Modern Warfare behind the legacy edition with no stand alone release?

tookhster

so I saw the infinite warfare trailer and the amount of dislike is huge and I'm not sure why, it's not like the sci-fi call of duty is new, suddenly this going to space element is what make people dislike CoD? the trailer is just okay with me, it looks really bad now in comparison to Battlefield 1 visual, but I didn't find the visual ugly or anything.

And that's the reason for a large amount of the negative feedback.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's stupid of them because they could have easily just had a $40 Modern Warfare Remastered sold separate and then offered the $80 version for whomever wanted both.

No. The point of this is to get people to play the new CoD so for the long run this is a better idea and more options is worse.

Matticers

No, they made a very smart financial move by pairing MW Remastered with this game. Just look at the dislikes on the youtube video - most COD fans don't want the franchise to continue in the direction that Infinite Warfare is going. Most don't want jet packs, they don't want space battles. They want something that resembles actual modern combat. I think this game would be the first COD flop. It would still sell, but I think it would be quite a bit less than any other title since MW1.

But you pair it with this remaster and tons of people will buy it just for that. Most long time COD fans love MW1 and won't have the willpower to wait until the game is sold by itself in order to play. And plenty of people who never experienced will get sucked into the hype of everyone talking about it and they'll buy it to give it a shot. The pairing guarantees the game will sell great regardless of how people feel about Infinite Warfare.

Oh, and Activision will just rake in even more cash when they do sell the remaster separately.

I also think there's a very high chance Activision will lock a MW1 map in each of Infinite Warfare's map packs in order to get people to buy those DLCs. That's probably why we're only getting ten maps. They know exactly what they're doing.

And I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already but another reason why this move makes sense for Activision is because there's really no other time they can release MW Remastered. They'd have to not create a new game in the series and just release a MW Collection instead one year... that was never likely. They can't release it early in the next year because it would kill the new game's MP player count and people wouldn't buy the map packs. If they release it later in the summer, people might be enjoying it too much and could pass on the next COD game. So their only options were create a remaster collection instead of a new game or bundle it together like this. I can't ever see them not making new games in the series. So yeah. We got this.

BF1 will keep me busy until the standalone is released as well as many other people, so it was probably a bad move due to it screwing over fans of the old game.

Well the way I see it is Sledgehammer is next and for me that's not good.

Yes the people that made Ghosts is now and that's even worse but I see MWR as the ultimate sweetener.

Just give us next years money now and you don't have to worry about buying a cod next year!

I don't need another cod till w@wR.

So I'm good, take my money.

Well the way I see it is Sledgehammer is next and for me that's not good.

Yes the people that made Ghosts is now and that's even worse but I see MWR as the ultimate sweetener.

Just give us next years money now and you don't have to worry about buying a cod next year!

I don't need another cod till w@wR.

So I'm good, take my money.

Advanced Warfare looked the best graphics wise for CoD this gen and had a really good story. MP was good just all that hippy hoppy boost jumping shit turned me off and alot of others off. The way the story of Advanced Warfare ended means SHG doesn't necessarily have to make a sequel and i'd love to see them make a grounded Call Of Duty.

Armaros

It gives off the proper message though.

People who said MW2 was "too soon" and produced one of the biggest meltdowns for a single game release made it become the best selling FPS of all-time, and both are considered masterpieces that branched off "realistic" shooters and "arcade" shooters.

A more accurate version would be the Left 4 Dead picture, however. Left 4 Dead was said to have been abandoned and people boycotted. Then, at the release of L4D2, hundreds and hundreds of people in the Steam group were found playing L4D2.

The picture highlights how the loudest "protests" always back down when push comes to shove.

But overall PC gamers did protest CoD, CoD is all but dead on PC.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think the potential sales for remasters are vastly overrated. And since they can't sell the game for less than $40 because if they did they would probably take away sales from IW they are doing what's best. Activision will do great, you're basically paying $20 for the remaster and $60 for the new game. All these complaints are ridiculous.

Az987

all good things
Nah, it'll probably be the only thing that keeps it from being outsold by Battlefield.

No way it hurts them at all.

There are two options: A. everyone loves infinite warfare and the remaster is just a nice extra that adds to the value or B. Everyone hates infinite warfare but a large amount of people still buy it just for the remaster.

Either way, it'll get its own release eventually I'm sure so I'm not sure how it would hurt them.

It's like a safety net. Pretty smart if you ask me.

etta

my hard graphic balls
If they plan to release it individually later, I don't think they can force it as an add-on to IW for the time being. Wouldn't there be some major backlash from people who'd buy the Legacy and want to sell IW, and just everyone in general? Could turn into a PR disaster.

120v

If they plan to release it individually later, I don't think they can force it as an add-on to IW for the time being. Wouldn't there be some major backlash from people who'd buy the Legacy and want to sell IW, and just everyone in general? Could turn into a PR disaster.

i don't see it being released individually until over a year later, possibly digital only. it'll be an afterthought by then

I'm getting it, I want to re-rank in MW that badly. I had such fun with it back in the day.
I'd play the old version but there are only a few servers left in Australia last time I played 2 years ago. Some have restrictions, so it's not very fun.

I don't care if it re-releases later in the year, more people will buy making a better online community, I just want to jump back in as soon as possible, which
is why I'm getting the Infinite Warfare special edition.

I consider it two games in one package and at $120 AUD, that's $60 each or $80/40 split. Seems fair to me.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Two? As in one plus one? Well shit fire Kotick now bring someone else in asap to right this sinking ship.

I apologise if I don't personally know all 50 million CoD players.

Of my circle of gamer relatives/friends, all of us used to buy CoD religiously. There's about 10 of us or so. There's only 3 or 4 left that still buy and of those only 2 actually want IW.

Again, I never said CoD is dying. I said they will feel a hit with this move. Even if it's only a small one.

jdstorm

Banned
I don't get why people are so down on Infinite Warfare. I haven't bought a CoD game since I picked up Black Ops 2 from the bargain bin. However I'm actually interested in IW. I'm a sucker for space games and games with fighter planes though. MW remastered is just a cool freebie

RanoNL

They won't loose any sales because they'll look at the statistics. If the IW+MWR bundle sells well they keep it that way. If it doesn't sell well they make it separately available.

They did not really shoot themselves in the foot with this decision. It will still sell. It seems that they just would not want for MW Remastered to compete with their flagship title this year. Maybe next year they will release MW Remastered as a standalone.

Alienous

They don't care about selling MW Remastered.

Its purpose is to bolster Infinite Warfare sales, and in doing so inject vitality into the Call of Duty franchise.

Allowing MWR to sell more than Infinite Warfare, as it quite possibly could, would do more harm than good to the franchise in the long-term. They don't have a great deal more nostalgia cards to play, and when they run out it would be game over. And even ignoring that competing with themselves wouldn't be the smart thing to do.

Sojgat

This is pretty anecdotal but I talked with some friends over the weekend about Infinite Warfare, and none of them felt hyped for it at all. The conversation just kept being "I want Modern Warfare Remastered, but I don't wanna buy IW just to get it."

But they will.

activision_55094.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm more interested in what the ratio of "Wow, 4 is really bad to play now compared to IW" to "Yep, 4 is still King, I'm not going to even touch IW" will be.

It's a shame we probably won't get the 4 edition sales vs server data to see how the split goes.

Varg

Banned
The sales will be fine no doubt about that. What worrisome will be the overall player count of infinite warfare. If the remastered is really good, we may see the most traded in game in recent history. They will get my money for sure but I know damn well I'll get some of it back by trading infinite warfare in and putting that money on battlefield 1

LostDonkey

Battlefield being WW1 has had the opposite effect for me. I will probably be getting the new COD now instead, not that they are comparable but I'm just not interested in WW1.

Braag

Hard to say, I'm sure CoD fans are gonna pay for it. Personally I stopped buying CoD games long time ago. Last few CoD games I own (BLOPS2, MW3, Ghosts) I got as gifts from friends who had extra keys. I played couple of missions of BLOPS2 campaign and forgot about it, haven't even bothered to install Ghosts or MW3.
CoD4 remaster was the first time I felt little excitement for CoD since MW2 but after I saw the price my interest disappeared quickly.

Skele7on

Banned
Meh games are $60 anyway, sure it may look a bit shitty, but I'll play through see what it's about, then if it's good (I doubt it will be) I'll sell the disc, and keep MW and have a blast playing that.

Top Bottom