• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Doom console performance test

DieH@rd

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhsmcoYybc

PS4 holds 1080p almost all of the time, drops small amount of frames below 60fps very rarely

Xbone is most of the time "well below 1080p" [with good AA and upscaling], drops way more frames below 60 than PS4, especially in bigger fights

More expansive test will be released in coming days. They are also very much enjoying the game itself.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wonder what the PC equivalent settings these are running at. Guess we'll find out in the expansive testing.

Considering all the positive word of mouth here, and what looks to be solid and smooth performance on the PS4, I'm in.

See you in hell fellas.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is the hardware gap really that big that they can't just lower graphical effects on the Xbox One until it hits a steady 1080/60? I mean, if you analyze it I'm sure the differences would be noticable, but when playing the game and just enjoying a crisp IQ and framerate, who cares, right?

I just don't get why developers continue to sacrifice resolution and framerate for better graphics on that system. So what, you have better effects and textures, can you even see them properly since the game is upscaling everything?

Edit: Is there something wrong with the audio in DF's footage, the shotgun is kind of ear piercing :lol. Don't remember it sounding quite like that in the MP Beta.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seems pretty damn solid on a technical level. Very happy the incredible motion blur is in full effect on console.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
1080p on PS? Thought it looked kind of washed out and low res playing the beta.
The AA was rather blurry in the beta. Not sure of that carried over to SP or the final game. Not going to be able to play for myself until tomorrow.

Teletraan1

Banned
Is the hardware gap really that big that they can't just lower graphical effects on the Xbox One until it hits a steady 1080/60? I mean, if you analyze it I'm sure the differences would be noticable, but when playing the game and just enjoying a crisp IQ and framerate, who cares, right?

I just don't get why developers continue to sacrifice resolution and framerate for better graphics on that system. So what, you have better effects and textures, can you even see them properly since the game is upscaling everything?

Edit: Is there something wrong with the audio in DF's footage, the shotgun is kind of ear piercing :lol. Don't remember it sounding quite like that in the MP Beta.

I agree. Console devs seem to prioritize the exact opposite things I would if I was changing setting on my PC. Superfluous and expensive effects go first, resolution is always a last resort. Fixed display technology does not mesh well with non native resolutions. I would jump down resolutions on my CRT monitor but I would never even think about it on current displays.

bidguy

Banned
THIS.

In print, it always sounds like the XB1 version is crap, then you actually look at it and it's not as bad as it reads.

well its the worst version of the game

that said ive played around 40% of the campaign on xbone and havent really noticed any dips. loading times are annoying though

Shin-Ra

The 'blurriness' of the TSSAA has been overstated by some and its effectiveness (along with shader AA) in greatly reducing aliasing in motion and stills is second-to-none for the very high performance the game achieves.

Very high quality motion blur and depth of field just top off the game's creamy-smooth appearance. The game has a rare breed of motion blur that looks great, even in stills.

[edit: PS4, 100 FoV, Medium Motion Blur]
25888594264_92d8c2835e_o.png

I'd like to see some stock HDD vs SSD tests for the brief loading hitches and late texture loads.

scitek

The 'blurriness' of the TSSAA has been overstated by some and its effectiveness (along with shader AA) in greatly reducing aliasing in motion and stills is second-to-none for the very high performance the game achieves.

Very high quality motion blur and depth of field just top off the game's creamy-smooth appearance. The game has a rare breed of motion blur that looks great, even in stills.

25888594264_92d8c2835e_o.png

I'd like to see some stock HDD vs SSD tests for the brief loading hitches and late texture loads.

The TSSAA combined with the motion blur on PC was too much for me. Had to change to SMAA and put motion blur to medium instead.

LordOfChaos

The XBO has 16ROPs, they really just didn't build the hardware to suit 1080p well on full complexity games. I think they knew this, and it's why they invested in the upscaler.

Turning down other effects or textures wouldn't always make up for its pixel pooping power. Look at video cards targetted at 1080p, most at least match the PS4s ROPs.

PS4 version is tearing like crazy for me. Literally from the very intro it has a near-constant tear in the middle of the screen. Supes annoying...

KKRT00

I'm really interested in analysis of this game, seems to be a quite a marvel on technical level.
Full 1080p60 on consoles and has volumetric lights everywhere, high quality AA + MB, a lot of GPU accelerated particles and full SSR?

For what it's worth textures rarely affect performance unless you are running low on video memory. Texture amount and size affects loading and streaming that can cause stutter but once they're there, it's not really an issue tbh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PS4 version is tearing like crazy for me. Literally from the very intro it has a near-constant tear in the middle of the screen. Supes annoying...
That's bizarre. It uses v-sync for me. Wonder if the unpatched version tears?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Patch 1.01 fixed the tearing

Edit: don't have time to watch the video. Will watch later but a question: does the FOV setting on the PS4 influence the dynamic resolution?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
THIS.

In print, it always sounds like the XB1 version is crap, then you actually look at it and it's not as bad as it reads.

Even if most of the Xbox versions are technically inferior it doesn't mean that you'll notice and most of the time without playing them side by side you won't notice differences.
Of course somme people might actually see instantly the diferences but I don't think they're part of the majority.

Having an inferior version doesn't mean your experience with the game will be less intense.

nOoblet16

I think this is the most technically accomplished 1080P/60FPS game on consoles that actually holds 1080P/60FPS (atleast on PS4) most of the time. Black Ops 3 may br more technically stfessi g but it doesn't hold 1080P/60FPS in campaign atleast.

It's crazy how it uses GPU particles, volumetric lights, high quality motion blur, SSR and AA and I think particles that receive shadows too. And it's not like the levels are tiny or there are few enemies either.

Installed the patch and the tearing stopped. Yikes. Weird that it didn't auto-install the update when I started the game (PS4). That was a real turn-off until I came hear to bitch about it :)

Thanks folks!

yyr

Watched the video. According to the narration, overall performance on X1 is better than the OP makes it sound. The drops happen due to the usual stuff (lots of particles, etc.) and they aren't all that frequent, nor are they really severe (fps don't seem to drop below 45). It's not a big enough difference to make me choose the PS4 version over the X1 version.

One thing I wonder, though: I still just have a 1366x768 TV. Will it perform smoother on my setup, due to rendering at a lower resolution? Or does it render at the maximum resolution possible and then downscale?

I always prefer smoothness over detail; maybe this is a reason to continue NOT buying a 1080p TV, lol.

nOoblet16

Watched the video. According to the narration, overall performance on X1 is better than the OP makes it sound. The drops happen due to the usual stuff (lots of particles, etc.) and they aren't all that frequent, nor are they really severe (fps don't seem to drop below 45). It's not a big enough difference to make me choose the PS4 version over the X1 version.

One thing I wonder, though: I still just have a 1366x768 TV. Will it perform smoother on my setup, due to rendering at a lower resolution? Or does it render at the maximum resolution possible and then downscale?

I always prefer smoothness over detail; maybe this is a reason to continue NOT buying a 1080p TV, lol.
Thr game will still render at the native res it's rendering at and output 1080P signal (even if the game renders below 1080P)...doesn't matter what your TV displays.

Frozone

I'm really interested in analysis of this game, seems to be a quite a marvel on technical level.
Full 1080p60 on consoles and has volumetric lights everywhere, high quality AA + MB, a lot of GPU accelerated particles and full SSR?

Yea, it's pretty incredible graphically for sure. And running this smoothly just shows their technical competence in graphics engines. Can't wait for Vulcan API though..

I think this is the most technically accomplished 1080P/60FPS game on consoles that actually holds 1080P/60FPS (atleast on PS4) most of the time. Black Ops 3 may br more technically stfessi g but it doesn't hold 1080P/60FPS in campaign atleast.

It's crazy how it uses GPU particles, volumetric lights, high quality motion blur, SSR and AA and I think particles that receive shadows too. And it's not like the levels are tiny or there are few enemies either.

The boy Tiago Sousa bringing that Crytek magic (except it actually performs well on consoles this time).

Frozone

+1

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
on pc you can use any controller you want

Pretty great perf out of PS4 here. Although I am curious about some areas in Argent Facility that were really brutal even on my hardware.
Just made it through Argent Tower on PS4 and it manages to hold mostly steady with just a couple zones with dips. It's overall very smooth.

The PC version, though, lawdy. The mouse control feels so damn good and it looks insanely nice. Have to run at 1440p with 80% resolution scaling to hold 60fps using high/ ultra settings though.

Top Bottom