• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Doom console performance test

jelly

Why are games less instant check pointing loads over these big long loads now?

I understand at the start of levels but during it, what changed sinced last gen when it was instant most of the time to load a checkpoint?

Not interested in these types of shooters anymore but I am interested in the rendering tech and performance on console and PC hardware. Glad to see ID/Bethesda has this game running well, for the most part, on consoles. I would imagine this type of optimization will carry over to AMD pc hardware but I guess I need to look at the Doom PC performance thread for that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
IDTECH6 looks be the exact opposite of the absolute shitshow that IDTECH5 was...and its running swimmingly on PS4 you say? Excellent work

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why are games less instant check pointing loads over these big long loads now?

I understand at the start of levels but during it, what changed sinced last gen when it was instant most of the time to load a checkpoint?
It wasn't instant last gen. Every Unreal Engine title has loading upon death, for instance. All depends on how the game handles game states and its data.

Played I few moments early this morning before leaving for work. I was like wow this game looks super ... not sick day super :)
Cant wait to jump in and do some multi later...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I thought they were opting for 30fps for SP? I swear I read that somewhere. Happy for you console peeps, this game needs 60fps and you're nearly there, I wonder if the devs can scrape together the missing frame rate from somewhere to keep it at 60 locked in the future with a patch or two. I really wasn't interested in this game after the multiplayer beta but everything I've seen from the single player makes me want to play it.

thelastword

Banned
Watched the video. According to the narration, overall performance on X1 is better than the OP makes it sound. The drops happen due to the usual stuff (lots of particles, etc.) and they aren't all that frequent, nor are they really severe (fps don't seem to drop below 45). It's not a big enough difference to make me choose the PS4 version over the X1 version.

One thing I wonder, though: I still just have a 1366x768 TV. Will it perform smoother on my setup, due to rendering at a lower resolution? Or does it render at the maximum resolution possible and then downscale?

I always prefer smoothness over detail; maybe this is a reason to continue NOT buying a 1080p TV, lol.
Drops are tangibly worse on the XB1 even though DF tries to sugar coat it, The XB1 actually drops to 43fps as per the video but the lowest I saw on the PS4 was 53fps in chaotic scenes, so that's still a 10fps advantage on minimum fps alone. Of course the PS4 holds 60 more consistently and has a higher average framerate on top of it's better IQ.

I do hope the SP is sharper than the beta I played however, the effects in use seem to be of good quality, perhaps an option to remove all blur inducing features should be made available on consoles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Worst version, but best controller. Worth it imo.

Here comes the justification squad. No one cares what mental gymnastics you take to buy something. No one even cares what you buy. Just talk about the tech or DF results.

Inuhanyou

Oh, I thought they were opting for 30fps for SP? I swear I read that somewhere. Happy for you console peeps, this game needs 60fps and you're nearly there, I wonder if the devs can scrape together the missing frame rate from somewhere to keep it at 60 locked in the future with a patch or two. I really wasn't interested in this game after the multiplayer beta but everything I've seen from the single player makes me want to play it.

consoles are never locked 60fps on games even for 60fps titles, dips are in 99% of titles. This is where that 'perceptual 60fps' thing that DF named for Call of duty 360 last gen, in that the FPS maintains a consistency that gives the illusion of the smoothness of 60fps even if it may occasionally drop.

i'm actually surprised in that most 60fps titles this gen perform far better than 60fps titles last gen

thelastword

Banned
AgentP said:
Here comes the justification squad. No one cares what mental gymnastics you take to buy something. No one even cares what you buy. Just talk about the tech or DF results.

No doubt, worse controller? and perhaps the poster would still get slaughtered by said worse controller players:) I wish more of these games would be cross platform for MP.

yyr

Drops are tangibly worse on the XB1 even though DF tries to sugar coat it, The XB1 actually drops to 43fps as per the video but the lowest I saw on the PS4 was 53fps in chaotic scenes, so that's still a 10fps advantage on minimum fps alone.

This may all be true, but 10fps isn't necessarily the same as 10fps. What I mean is, a short (<1 second) 10fps drop from 60 to 50, or even from 55 to 45, is barely noticeable for most people. A short 10fps drop down from 30 to 20 is pretty noticeable by most people, and can negatively impact gameplay.

If the difference between X1 and PS4 was 20fps compared to 30, I'd definitely choose the PS4 version even though X1 is my primary console. But an average of, say, 45 vs 55, I can live with.

It's easier to sugarcoat a shortcoming if the experience is still great despite that shortcoming.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really love that they included an FoV option in this game as well as a CA toggle on console. I'm extremely pleased that those sorts of options have shown up in several major releases lately.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This may all be true, but 10fps isn't necessarily the same as 10fps. What I mean is, a short (<1 second) 10fps drop from 60 to 50, or even from 55 to 45, is barely noticeable for most people. A short 10fps drop down from 30 to 20 is pretty noticeable by most people, and can negatively impact gameplay.

If the difference between X1 and PS4 was 20fps compared to 30, I'd definitely choose the PS4 version even though X1 is my primary console. But an average of, say, 45 vs 55, I can live with.

It's easier to sugarcoat a shortcoming if the experience is still great despite that shortcoming.

Any way you slice it the game performs much better on PS4 so you will get a sharper, more fluid experience. If you're one of those people who don't notice dips then it really doesn't matter which version you get, but if you do, then PS4 is the clear choice. But as people have said, there's no need to justify your purchase, if you're happy then that's all that matters.

Calibos

It is a bummer to see that DF has found such disparity between the versions, and I wish the X1 could have faired better in the numbers department...

But God Damn playing this game is sublime on X1. I have about 6 hours into it and have zero complaints. If there is a dip or a resolution drop, I am too busy white knuckling my controller to notice or care...

A smoother feeling shooter you will not find on XB1, no matter what the numbers say. Maybe we will see solid numbers met on consoles later this year or early next.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is a bummer to see that DF has found such disparity between the versions, and I wish the X1 could have faired better in the numbers department...

But God Damn playing this game is sublime on X1. I have about 6 hours into it and have zero complaints. If there is a dip or a resolution drop, I am too busy white knuckling my controller to notice or care...

A smoother feeling shooter you will not find on XB1, no matter what the numbers say. Maybe we will see solid numbers met on consoles later this year or early next.
Yeah, it still plays great on X1, I agree. Halo 5 is actually smoother due to the fact that it basically never drops any frames but it does lack motion blur....

Kolgar

The alpha and betas looked and played virtually identically for me on X1 and PS4, but it's the single-player footage that has really wowed me.

Great job, devs! Hope this game gets the reception it deserves.

Preorder justified, picking up on X1 later. Let's do this!

Some of you are really trying hard to shit on the Xbone version...

Its like just because it isnt 1080p all day makes it worse... in what way exactly? Rest of the game is the same on both consoles.

Picking up the Xbone version over the PS4 version is no crime.
I picked the Xbone version too over the PS4 version.

And yeah IDTech6 is awesome. I hope a new Wolfenstein will use that Engine.

Skux

Is the hardware gap really that big that they can't just lower graphical effects on the Xbox One until it hits a steady 1080/60? I mean, if you analyze it I'm sure the differences would be noticable, but when playing the game and just enjoying a crisp IQ and framerate, who cares, right?

It's much easier/cheaper to just downscale the whole thing and call it a day.

oRuin

Its like just because it isnt 1080p all day makes it worse... in what way exactly? Rest of the game is the same on both consoles.

It's a Tech thread. Xb1 version runs at a lower resolution and frame rate than the PS4 version over time. That's why it is 'worst'

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

This is a thread for evaluating the games from a technical perspective, the OT is here.

It is worse lol. You are in a tech thread. One version performs worse and people are discussing that.
Agreed. Same thing happens in PC vs PS4 DF threads. No, it doesn't matter if you think it looks fine or that you can't notice the differences that much. This is a tech thread. It's all about analysis.

The Lamp

Wow, that's terrible, they should have maybe dropped resolution on Xbox to stay steady.

Why can't people here stand framerates in between 30-60 fps?

Smoother than 30 is smoother for me, I wouldn't want them to drop down to 30 if they can get 43. And 43 is smooth enough for me.

mileS

I really love that they included an FoV option in this game as well as a CA toggle on console. I'm extremely pleased that those sorts of options have shown up in several major releases lately.

can't be quoted enough. There needs to be a very vocal community constantly shouting this out loud so certain dev's can convince the higher ups its a worthwhile feature to add or give us the option. It blows my mind how long it took for some of these options to finally pop up.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The devs did a great job considering the hardware they are working with.

I would imagine if the devs released a patch for PS4K it would be a solid 1080p at 60fps.

I'm guessing most people won't notice much in the way of performance issues on either system. But I would have liked to see a more steady framerate on Xbox.

Edit: I just want to mention the game looks to be great on both platforms, and it's definitely making me interested in picking it up.

DieH@rd

Banned

I would imagine if the devs released a patch for PS4K it would be a solid 1080p at 60fps.

A slight GPU boost would ensure that since PS4 is already almost there.

But PS4K is offering much better hardware than that, so devs can introduce higher visual presets and not just framerate stabilization.

Draft

Xbox hardware performance is absolute garbage. Crazy that Sony is all but confirmed to be releasing faster hardware when the PS4 already outclasses the Xbone consistently.

Xbox hardware performance is absolute garbage. Crazy that Sony is all but confirmed to be releasing faster hardware when the PS4 already outclasses the Xbone consistently.

Sony has to because of the increased power threshold required by VR and you can be sure MS has something up the sleeve too.

Also, absolute garbage? You make it sound like you've got an agenda.

Inuhanyou

you best be jokin. a 4tflop GPU is not just going to give a 'solid 1080p at 60fps' especially considering the current GPU is almost always that res to begin with.

i'm guessing even an overclock of 10% to the current GPU would do wonders, but we're talking about an over 100% difference here in addition to the boost of modern GPU architecture

nOoblet16

you best be jokin. a 4tflop GPU is not just going to give a 'solid 1080p at 60fps' especially considering the current GPU is almost always that res to begin with.

i'm guessing even an overclock of 10% to the current GPU would do wonders, but we're talking about an over 100% difference here in addition to the boost of modern GPU architecture
True although the game can be heavy on CPU at times but the slight bump in CPU speed plus major bump in GPU could mean solid 1080p/60 at atleast high settings rather than medium.

Top Bottom