• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Doom console performance test

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
PS4 version is tearing like crazy for me. Literally from the very intro it has a near-constant tear in the middle of the screen. Supes annoying...
Did you install the Day-one-patch?
Ah, that explains the tearing I saw in the Polygon video I guess. They must have been "playing" (lawl) the unpatched version.

IDTECH6 looks be the exact opposite of the absolute shitshow that IDTECH5 was...and its running swimmingly on PS4 you say? Excellent work
Wolfenstein TNO/TOB ran on idTech5 and ran like a dream on PS4...

nOoblet16

Ah, that explains the tearing I saw in the Polygon video I guess. They must have been "playing" (lawl) the unpatched version.

Rage ran fantastic too, I guess it was more about how it's managing that at such high quality visuals while Id Tech 5 games had to sacrifice visual quality a lot.

Then there was The Evil Within.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

performance was the only thing that was good about IDTECH5, and only in certain games with a specific pattern. Shitty texture tech that artificially bloated game sizes and didn't even matter, horrible for devs to work with outside of its very strict confines and didn't look all that great in general without significant tweaking, and even then, didn't yield good results for the trade offs.

True although the game can be heavy on CPU at times but the slight bump in CPU speed plus major bump in GPU could mean solid 1080p/60 at atleast high settings rather than medium.

More like a combination of high and ultra settings. 4tflops is probably a higher base than this game is working with on the graphics side, just based on how good it looks on lesser hardware like PS4 and XB1

BigLee74

Nah, Jumper is right. A lot of you do try and sh1t on the Xbox one, and barely manage to contain your glee. The video clearly states he picked the worst area he could find, and most of the time the Xbox bumps along at 60. Lower res a given. Reading some of the posts on here would have folk believe it sits at 43 all the time, and is continually 10fps behind the ps4. That's rubbish. Some folk just choose not to listen to what is there, and latch on to any number they can find. Now THERE is the justification brigade.

ps3ud0

Does Doom 4s engine not use dynamic res? Sorry can't watch the video ATM. Assumed it would just follow idtech5 games with the new engine...

ps3ud0 8)

yyr

It is a bummer to see that DF has found such disparity between the versions, and I wish the X1 could have faired better in the numbers department...

But God Damn playing this game is sublime on X1. I have about 6 hours into it and have zero complaints. If there is a dip or a resolution drop, I am too busy white knuckling my controller to notice or care...

This is exactly my point: that the actual, real-world difference in the experience between the versions is small enough that it is negligible for the majority of people. Who cares about the numbers if the experience is great? This isn't constant 60 vs constant 30, this is almost 60 versus almost 55, with fraction-of-a-second drops to almost 45-50 in certain places. This is a barely noticeable difference in the real world.

The developers of the engine and the game deserve major kudos for delivering an X1 version whose performance is close enough to the PS4 version to justify giving the same review score to both.

Surprised to see the XB1 version can't seem to maintain a high frame rate.

Xbox hardware performance is absolute garbage.

I guess we know who didn't watch the video.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Rage ran fantastic too, I guess it was more about how it's managing that at such high quality visuals while Id Tech 5 games had to sacrifice visual quality a lot.

Then there was The Evil Within.
Yeah it seems idTech5 just gets maligned because of TEW, but wasn't it heavily modified anyway?

performance was the only thing that was good about IDTECH5, and only in certain games with a specific pattern. Shitty texture tech that artificially bloated game sizes and didn't even matter, horrible for devs to work with outside of its very strict confines and didn't look all that great in general without significant tweaking, and even then, didn't yield good results for the trade offs
Again, Wolfenstein on PS4 looked good, had high quality textures, and ran like a dream. Visually the only major flaw was the aliasing, and it wasn't a big deal when playing (only visible in screenshots).

I don't know about it being hard for devs to work on, that might be true, but Machine Games seemed to have done well with it...

Lucifon

Been playing the XB1 version tonight and it seems pretty great to me. Runs well and looks good. Enjoying the game a lot!

nOoblet16

Yeah it seems idTech5 just gets maligned because of TEW, but wasn't it heavily modified anyway?
Yes it was.
If Machine Games are to be believed ID Tech 5 was made for 60FPS and nothing else (I don't know how that works but that's what they said). So one would have needed modifications (basically fight the engine break down the foundation of what the engine is based on) to get down to 30FPS.

Seems to me Tango picked the wrong engine to modify.

16BitNova

This is dynamic 1080p on Xbox One right? Any Gaf impressions on Xbox IQ?

Edit: NVM, I see a lot of happy xbox users here :) heading to the store now!

a little bit off topic but, hows the storyline?

decent or throwaway fluff

may get this somewere down the line

good news that it runs great on ps4

wont touch the mp though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Do we have any numbers for what resolution the Xbox version runs at? Is it closer to 900p a majority of the time?
Not yet. The TAA makes it super hard for me to pixel count. It's just too damn effective! You can clearly see the game become much blurrier but I have no clue yet what the res actually is.

Just made it through Argent Tower on PS4 and it manages to hold mostly steady with just a couple zones with dips. It's overall very smooth.
Nice
The PC version, though, lawdy. The mouse control feels so damn good and it looks insanely nice. Have to run at 1440p with 80% resolution scaling to hold 60fps using high/ ultra settings though.

Yeah, it is just soooo good.

I am playing on ultra/nightmare @ 1080p and getting anywhere from 90-120 fps. Sadly, I am CPU limited in some scenes giving me about 70 when I look in a direction with GPU utilisation@ like 45%. I definitely cannot wait for Vulkan. I am seemingly more CPU limited since I am targetting 120.

Top Bottom