• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speaking from the Land of Dreams: Who could Make a New SOCOM?

Iorv3th

Maybe Bend Studios but not sure if they could handle it.

Is it really "barebones" if all the weapons are unlocked at the beginning? I don't really understand that. SOCOM 2 was definitely not barebones though. That game launched with like 22 maps, full community clan support, lobbies and ability to make private rooms. Honestly SOCOM 2 online had features that I would kill for. So far from barebones.

I played and loved Socom 1 and 2 more than any other multiplayer console game, but I think the bigger problem is going to be getting people to play a game where you die and stay dead until the end of the round. Works on CS Go though but Console is a different market now.

Remember it didn't really have "full clan support" unless you used gamebattles.

I played and loved Socom 1 and 2 more than any other multiplayer console game, but I think the bigger problem is going to be getting people to play a game where you die and stay dead until the end of the round. Works on CS Go though but Console is a different market now.

I think that was a valid concern until siege came out this generation and did fairly well without non-respawn gameplay.

Nowadays not having matchmaking ain't going to work, relying on a small dedicated community isn't going to cut it when even budget games cost tens of millions to make.

On the contrary, I loved the way the briefing room and lobby setup was done in SOCOM. They also had he auto play system for whoever wanted to go with the quick match making method. But the lobby system really bred a tremendous sense of community. Look in this thread alone and you see people shouting out the briefing rooms they played in lol.

Voorhees

As much as I would throw buckets of cash at whoever decided to remake SOCOM for this generation. It would never work the same as it did. Here's why:

The mics. In SOCOM when you died, so did your mic. You could only talk to dead teammates. This feature would no longer work with today's consoles. All it would take is Party chat to circumvent it and then you've lost then tension that came with it. They would have to eliminate the ability for dead teammates to watch their corpse or live teammates in order to keep dead teammates from saying for instance in Desert Glory "3 alive in the hostage room camping" once the rusher went in and got killed.

If they could find a way around that and still keep the last man alive tension then it could probably work.

and [LH] Gamebattles representin of course.

As much as I would throw buckets of cash at whoever decided to remake SOCOM for this generation. It would never work the same as it did. Here's why:

The mics. In SOCOM when you died, so did your mic. You could only talk to dead teammates. This feature would no longer work with today's consoles. All it would take is Party chat to circumvent it and then you've lost then tension that came with it. They would have to eliminate the ability for dead teammates to watch their corpse or live teammates in order to keep dead teammates from saying for instance in Desert Glory "3 alive in the hostage room camping" once the rusher went in and got killed.

If they could find a way around that and still keep the last man alive tension then it could probably work.

and [LH] Gamebattles representin of course.

I've thought about that too, but I'm sure they could develop around that right? Maybe even make it an option, a sort of hardcore mode were party chat don't work or something.

Here's a thought I just had... What about one of the teams at Guerilla? It's been forever since killzone came out and obviously they're mostly focused on Horizon. But they have multiple teams, I'm sure some of the multiplayer guys from Killzone could take up the project.

Top Bottom