• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken may have beat SFV in retail sales. EVO registrations at 1000 plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Got this info from a video by Maximillian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzpeQKTp1zc

What's impressive is that Pokken came out on the Wii U, a much smaller install base than the PS4, and one month later. Crazy stuff.

Max admits that SFV probably beat it out went you count digital, but that's hard to determine.

The EVO registrations is also surprising, but that could be chalked up to going for that dat fight money.

I recently picked up a copy and I was surprised at its depth. I'm not an arena fighter guy, but I've been having fun with. The single player content is actually decent, unlike SFV.

Personally, SFV is still king for me, but more fighting games doing well is a good thing.

Rudiano

Banned
Probably because PS4 has much more new games on the horizon compared to the wii u, and lets not forget anything to do with pokemon sells

Pompadour

Is it true that Pikachu and Mewtwo are in just as many games at Evo as Ryu?

Yeah, Ryu is in: Street Fighter V, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and Smash Bros. for Wii U

Pikachu is in: Pokken, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

If you count Akuma in Tekken 7 then there's more games with SF characters than games with Pokemon characters, though.

Got that info from his video too and wanted to make a thread, but I couldn't find any other evidence that could back this up, so I didn't.

If that turns out to be true then holy shit, never would've thought that.

wrowa

Regardless whether or not it outsold SFV, I was surprised that Pokken is actually really fun and pretty deep for what I expected to be nothing more than a super shallow brawler.

High unlikely based upon the UK physical sales data i can see. At least 50% more SFV sold here from physical outlets. Add in PC and console digital being solid versus probably quite a modest uptake of Pokken from the e-shop.

Seems unlikely that Pokken would have sold more

v1oz

High unlikely based upon the UK physical sales data i can see. At least 50% more SFV sold here from physical outlets. Add in PC and console digital being solid versus probably quite a modest uptake of Pokken from the e-shop.

Seems unlikely that Pokken would have sold more
Nintendo don't sell very well in UK. It must be other territories.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, Maximilian is referring to ZhugeEX's tweets, which are specific for US.

"Not every Wii game sells well" is not a logical counter to his premise.

Yes it is, because Wii U has always been lacking in software and many of its best titles have underperformed. Good Wii U games don't automatically sell.

Tropical Freeze, a huge sales disappointment but one of Wii U's best titles, came out at a moment in the system's life drier than the time Pokken released. And that's just one example.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Any WW numbers for Pokken?

Don't know of any but It's sold better than SFV in Japan. The rest is conjecture since we don't know what SF V sold world wide only shipped, I haven't seen any statements from Namco or the Pokemon company about Pokken's sales

Tizoc

Don't know of any but It's sold better than SFV in Japan. The rest is conjecture since we don't know what SF V sold world wide only shipped, I haven't seen any statements from Namco or the Pokemon company about Pokken's sales
Wasnt there a thread that said sf5 shipped 1.4 mil units?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"Not every Wii game sells well" is not a logical counter to his premise.

Yes it does otherwise how would you explain that phenomena. You could also say not evey PS4 game sells poorly only that exclusives tend to sell tend sell less than multiplatform games on it, with not being able "counter" it.

Wasnt there a thread that said sf5 shipped 1.4 mil units?

Yes hence i said we only know how much capcom ships of SFV not sold (Capcom sometimes channel stuff it's games a fuck ton so it's a always a reliable barometer of sales until it's it gets updated).

Zackat

Oh look another lowkey street fighter bashin' thread.

That's pretty cool that Pokken is doing strong out of the gate. I haven't watched much gameplay of it. Is it more Naruto or Tekken as the name implies?

JoeM86

It's weird. I see this, and it's great but then I look at how quiet things generally are about Pokkén outside of the absolute hardcore players.

UK Nationals was a slap in the face too. They were expecting a decent attendance, but only 45 people entered the UK Pokkén Tournament National Championships.

Maybe it's just the US that is accepting of it.

I'm actually really worried about the legs for this game.

This...isn't surprising. Despite the much smaller hardware install base to sell to, it's a much more accessible game. Oh, and it's Pokemon. Awesome news for Nintendo.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think brand power alone is enough to sell a game. Street Fighter and Pokemon are recognizable names in gaming so I don't believe they'd be hidden underneath a crowded line up or not. This is clearly word of mouth at work. Pokken has a fair amount of content and good amount of depth aiming to reach everyone they can. While Street Fighter V went more insular and focused primarily on the hardcore players which kept a lot of people away as it wasn't for them. As Maximilian said, many play these games like games rather than competitive fighters.

Also a good quote from one of the Pokken Staff.
The team also gives tips to people who want to join tournaments but are afraid to actually join. Especially if they only played in consoles and never in arcades, they could also feel some anxiety, but if they can win one round it can cause a good catharsis, so the team encourages them to join those tournaments casually with heart-throbbing feelings.

More here Harada's quote is by far the best though.

We also shouldn't forget that NoA Pokken tournament and the kid that won either. That was a great moment. That's TPC's grand goal right there. TPC is playing this more smartly and that's why it's working.

JoeM86

We also shouldn't forget that NoA Pokken tournament and the kid that won either. That was a great moment. That's TPC's grand goal right there. TPC is playing this more smartly and that's why it's working.

Conversely, I think TPCi kind of dropped the ball.

As I said, we had UK National Championships this past weekend. However, they did very little to promote it and they didn't post the ruleset or the prizes until the day before. I had many people there say they only knew it was happening since I posted about it.

It's weird. I see this, and it's great but then I look at how quiet things generally are about Pokkén outside of the absolute hardcore players.

UK Nationals was a slap in the face too. They were expecting a decent attendance, but only 45 people entered the UK Pokkén Tournament National Championships.

I'm actually really worried about the legs for this game.

eh i would wait till EVO is over before getting worried

as for it out selling, i mean it's pokemon it was gonna sell well no matter what. this is more to do with capcom messing up with SFV than anything else

Do you know a single person in your friends who plays fighting game competitively and only plays Pokken ?

The reason why the game is doing "well" at EVO is because there is a lot of Smash 4 players who are also playing Pokken on the side.

Nanashrew

Banned
Conversely, I think TPCi kind of dropped the ball.

As I said, we had UK National Championships this past weekend. However, they did very little to promote it and they didn't post the ruleset or the prizes until the day before. I had many people there say they only knew it was happening since I posted about it.

Yeah, that's worrisome and also sounds like mismanagement. Do you think something could happen with Pokemon world Championship around the corner? I'm sort of hoping with more people in the room, more might try it out over there and get into it.

Does pokken have arcade and vs CPU modes?

Not a Pokemon fan but like arena fighters, just don't own a wiiu

I'm dying over here though, sitting on a $60 paperweight waiting for my modes, although I briefly updated to check out Alex and guile in story mode for easy FM

Nanashrew

Banned
Do you know a single person in your friends who plays fighting game competitively and only plays Pokken ?

The reason why the game is doing well at EVO is because there is a lot of Smash 4 players who are also playing Pokken.

There are a few faces outside of Smash as well I think. Is Justin Wong still planning to enter and play Weavile? I haven't paid much attention to the competitive stuff outside a few tourneys.

Tingle

Does pokken have arcade and vs CPU modes?

Not a Pokemon fan but like arena fighters, just don't own a wiiu

I'm dying over here though, sitting on a $60 paperweight waiting for my modes, although I briefly updated to check out Alex and guile in story mode for easy FM

Pokken has an arcade type mode with a light
(bad)
story attached, and vs CPU modes.

synce

I don't think there's anything surprising about a Pokemon game outselling Street Fighter, doesn't matter how poorly the console sold.

JoeM86

Yeah, that's worrisome and also sounds like mismanagement. Do you think something could happen with Pokemon world Championship around the corner? I'm sort of hoping with more people in the room, more might try it out over there and get into it.

I'm unsure. As it is the US is way too over-represented with so many Minor and Major competitions (Dreamhack, EVO, Regionals, Nationals, CEO etc.) compared to Europe (3) and Japan (1). There's disproportion in it which is a shame for Worlds.

It could help, but last year people were fed up with it dominating the stream (which is why they now have three separate streams: TCG, VGC and Pokkén).

I dunno. At the moment, I don't see Pokkén lasting competitively beyond this year, and it's a shame. They need to do something but it definitely feels mismanaged right now.

I was completely stunned about the turnout at Nationals. You just had to win 1 match to make it to Day 2, it's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom