• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

I didn't see these numbers posted yet so here they are.

https://pvplive.net/c/street-fighter-evo-tv-ratings-down-from-2016

ESPN2 numbers are down from last year. An average of 180k this year compared to 201k last year. No numbers released from the Disney XD broadcast. Those numbers are probably much lower, but combined with ESPN2 numbers and there is probably a good chance that it's higher this year than last year.

I think it's also fair to say that lack of advertisement and a very late announcement hurt the numbers somewhat. Eleague's final two episodes were much higher in than EVO. It was advertised much better and people knew about it far ahead of time. In the end although I'm trying to look on the bright side I'm still disappointed. This years top 8 was far better than last years so it's disappointing to not see growth.

According to this , http://tnl.media/esportsinfographics/2017/7/19/tnl-infographic-051-2017-esports-tv-ratings, there were 100k viewers on Disney So, overall, it reached a lot more eyeballs than last year.

That said, it does make you wonder what could have been. Like you said, promotion was extremely lacking. On top of that, I'm on Comcast and on my cable box, EVO wasn't even listed in the program guide as it was happening! My box thought it was an ESPN 30 for 30! That's a pretty big handicap when you're not even in the program guide. I'm not sure how far-reaching that was.

It seems like even with just a little promotion, the ESPN2 number by itself should have topped last year's.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Finally got some downtime. I hope you guys enjoyed Evo 2017 this year. My team focused on a lot of new things (for the event) and the viewer experience.

It took a long time, but we finally made Sunday a spectacle between the fights (look at all the announcements we worked on with the publishers/developers). Lots of world premiere content & amazing things for gaming fans (not just fighting fans).

If you guys have a chance to make it out to Evo 2018 or Evo Japan, please do. We are constantly working on improving the show/expo side of things to cater to fans and competitors alike.

Off to the next event. Cheers y'all!

LiK

Finally got some downtime. I hope you guys enjoyed Evo 2017 this year. My team focused on a lot of new things (for the event) and the viewer experience.

It took a long time, but we finally made Sunday a spectacle between the fights (look at all the announcements we worked on with the publishers/developers). Lots of world premiere content & amazing things for gaming fans (not just fighting fans).

If you guys have a chance to make it out to Evo 2018 or Evo Japan, please do. We are constantly working on improving the show/expo side of things to cater to fans and competitors alike.

DBFZ on main stage.

Real talk, whoever came up with the 0-2 Arcade with the DDR machines is my hero.
Got to play DDR with so many cool people that weekend.

The main concern for DBFZ is likely gonna be more of what time than if it'll be on Sunday. Smash (4 or Melee), MvCI, & SFV are probably gonna take up the prime time slots.
Stop making Sunday the only day you pump spectacle into. This problem will only keep getting worse year after year as publisher money gets increasingly involved with EVO.

The main concern for DBFZ is likely gonna be more of what time than if it'll be on Sunday. Smash (4 or Melee), MvCI, & SFV are probably gonna take up the prime time slots.

I mean, it's obviously 2nd.

The donation drive was so popular I'd be shocked if they didn't do it again.

Yeah, the last-minute promotion of it was really mind-boggling- both ESPN and Disney were late announcements.

That surprised me the most and probably hurt the numbers. Most people I know that
were remotely interested in watching it on ESPN didn't even know it was going to happen again.

DrDogg

DBFZ won't top SF5 next year, but I could definitely see it making a run for that #2 spot. The hype for that game is unreal right now and it'll only grow as we get closer to launch.

That said, DBFZ would do well on Disney (and maybe even Cartoon Network if they can swing it), but I imagine ESPN will stick with just SF5.

Neoxon

You think Smash or Marvel would get the 10am slot?

Edit: I mean 2nd as in the 2nd game of the day, right after the donation drive game if they do it again. I'd be shocked if DBZ could bump Smash or Marvel down.
You think they'll do another donation drive next year? 2018 looks pretty packed.

Sayad

You missed this kicker too, though it's not so much funny as it's more putting Obama on blast:

https://clips.twitch.tv/EvilUnusualSpiderKappaClaus

I didn't see the take then but when I eventually tuned in Jiyuna later brought it up on stream and said Obama was saying some outright nasty, slanderous shit about that cosplayer he shows on his phone, who is either transexual or a crossdresser (I don't know who that person is unfortunately). From the start of the clip and Jiyuna's facial expressions it's pretty clear where that tangent was going.

Jiyuna had the sense to mute the mic unbeknownst to Obama. Probably saved his eSports career too yikes.
What is this guy's problem with autism?! He got banned from Gaf for calling someone here autistic and making fun of him about it!! I like his commentary, but dude is just a horrible human.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah I thought Obama was a cool guy but with recent events he's no longer on my cool list. I'm pretty sure something like thatif his work found it, they would fire him.

You think they'll do another donation drive next year? 2018 looks pretty packed.

FOUR DAY EVO LET'S GO!

Really though, it raised a lot of money for a good cause, and it's better to give games a chance to get that slot instead of outright cutting them.

As long as they don't have nine games that absolutely have to be main games, let the rest fight over the last slot. (It's going to be close next year though)

Boke1879

With DBZ, you make the decision based on entrants. It could fit into a slot on Sunday. Like someone pointed out DBZ would do great one Disney especially if advertised. Hopefully they can get in touch with CN and try to air it live, but that's something I think would only work for Sunday.

Or if that doesn't work. Work with CN to possibly show a reairing of the DBZ tournament. Edited etc.

With DBZ, you make the decision based on entrants. It could fit into a slot on Sunday. Like someone pointed out DBZ would do great one Disney especially if advertised. Hopefully they can get in touch with CN and try to air it live, but that's something I think would only work for Sunday.

Or if that doesn't work. Work with CN to possibly show a reairing of the DBZ tournament. Edited etc.

Damn, showing DBZ EVO matches during toonami would be an awesome idea. (That's when DB Super runs right?)

patchday

Yeah hype for evo 2018 (DBZF)

Man just finished the SFV EVO. Man Punk was so sad ;(

You can tell it took every fiber of his being to not fall apart when they announced he had 2nd place. And you could see the pain on his face when they gave Tokido the 1st place trophy

oh man the feels... I got your back Punk

sinkfla87

Stop making Sunday the only day you pump spectacle into. This problem will only keep getting worse year after year as publisher money gets increasingly involved with EVO.

This. If you got grand finals for brand new games on a Saturday night, while I don't expect the ESPN treatment I would like for there to be at least a little bit of hype and ceremony for those games as well. Thousands of fans and players kinda feel shafted for their respective games. Love ya markman!

DrDogg

I'd say the virtually guaranteed list of games for 2018 looks something like this:
  1. SF5
  2. Marvel
  3. DBFZ
  4. Tekken 7
  5. Injustice 2
  6. Smash Melee
  7. Smash 4
  8. GG or BB Cross (maybe both)
I'm a bit doubtful that BB Cross will be out in time, but if it is I could see both BB Cross and GG in the lineup, making it 9 games. If it's not out then you put in GG and the 9th spot can be donation drive for Arms, KI, KoF, BBCF, Arika Fighter EX and whatever else.

This. If you got grand finals for brand new games on a Saturday night, while I don't expect the ESPN treatment I would like for there to be at least a little bit of hype and ceremony for those games as well. Thousands of fans and players kinda feel shafted for their respective games. Love ya markman!

How would you like them to handle Saturday finals? INJ2 was new this year and got Saturday finals, but I'm not really seeing what more they could have done aside from moving it to Sunday.

Neoxon

Damn, showing DBZ EVO matches during toonami would be an awesome idea. (That's when DB Super runs right?)
It'd probably have to be a re-run on Toonami the following week if DBFZ Top 8 is earlier in the day (unless Cartoon Network makes time for it). To answer your other question, it airs at 8pm CST on Adult Swim & re-runs the same episode at 10:30pm CST during Toonami (all on Saturday night).

Actually, maybe DBFZ should be prime-time Saturday night.

Boke1879

It's tough, but like you said. They just need to advertise the other days more. I mean it's no question Sunday will get the most viewers simply because that's usually when finals air.

But injecting a bit more hype into Saturday would be dope. It would be nice to have some MvC2 exhibitions if possible. or DBFZ exhibitions.

Anth0ny

I'd say the virtually guaranteed games list of games for 2018 looks something like this:
  1. SF5
  2. Marvel
  3. DBFZ
  4. Tekken 7
  5. Injustice 2
  6. Smash Melee
  7. Smash 4
I'm a bit doubtful that BB Cross will be out in time, but if it is I could see both BB Cross and GG in the lineup, making it 9 games. If it's not out then you put in GG and the 9th spot can be donation drive for Arms, KI, KoF, BBCF, Arika Fighter EX and whatever else.

Next year's lineup is going to be insane. Hype for DBZ and Marvel will be nutty.

sinkfla87

I'd say the virtually guaranteed list of games for 2018 looks something like this:
  1. SF5
  2. Marvel
  3. DBFZ
  4. Tekken 7
  5. Injustice 2
  6. Smash Melee
  7. Smash 4

How would you like them to handle Saturday finals? INJ2 was new this year and got Saturday finals, but I'm not really seeing what more they could have done aside from moving it to Sunday.

Honestly nothing too drastically different other than promotion and how they handle the awards ceremony at the end. Give the top 8 or at the very least grand finals players a moment or two for interviews (I'd like this for all games not just Injustice) post/pre match. As it were on Saturday it was like "hey and your new winner is dragon!" (Cut to quick shot of Dragon holding a trophy/stream cuts off).

Don't get me wrong, I'm salty that he Trident Rushed his way to victory but to go through all of that work playing your way through 800+ people in pools, it sure ended with a whimper.
Better stage setup/design would be nice as well. Bring back UltraDavid please, he is awesome.

Edit: And also what Boke said. Do some exhibitions for games. Treat Evo weekend like Evo WEEKEND. Not just Friday and Saturday being appetizers for Sunday.

A big thing about being on Sunday is that you're the only show in town. I wish Injustice top 8 wasn't going at the same time as SFV semis, I would have watched a lot more of it.

dommynick

Cross posting from the Tekken 7 thread:

Was watching Jeondding's stream last night, the first after EVO, and he gave some lore about his top 8 matches. Here's my translation.

He swears he should have beaten JDCR in their match, because JDCR was totally off his game, making input errors and getting hit by all kinds of stuff he doesn't normally get hit by. In addition, he gave away a match and was thrown off for the entire set because of a button issue. When he played JDCR, his buttons were configured completely wrong. Knee had played previously on the side that Jeondding was on, and Knee uses a different button config than most players, using the four buttons one column to the right on a typical stick config. Jeondding's only tournament experience are in Korean Tekken leagues and Mastercup a few times in Japan, so he's very inexperienced when it comes to console tournaments and just hopped on and started playing without a button check. You can see in the first seconds of the first match, he realizes the buttons are messed up and starts checking his buttons. JDCR also realizes the situation and backs off for about 10 seconds. Jeondding asks JDCR what he should do, and JDCR says just play on. Jeondding is flustered at this point, but moves his fingers over to Knee's setup and plays on. He actually adjusts himself really well to a really weird button config and starts getting into his groove. He pointed out all the various moments when JDCR was just getting hit by random stuff that he never got hit by when Jeondding would play JDCR and the fact that JDCR rarely gets counterhit, because of JDCR's nerves. Jeondding swears that even though it's impossible to believe, being his big tournament and it being the biggest Tekken tournament ever, he wasn't nervous at all. He says it just feels like he's playing matches at the arcade against JDCR. He talks about how he didn't really understand the depth it takes to be the best as a progamer and that the best players do a lot of things outside of just being good at their game. Once he got to EVO and saw how JDCR and Saint would maintain their physical and mental condition in preparation for their matches by eating and sleeping properly, he realized that he didn't take EVO nearly seriously enough, noting that he was playing SF5 on his stream 2 days before leaving for EVO (lol). The first match ends and he regrets everything that went on in it, really feeling like it should've been his match. Between the first and second match you can see him ask JDCR how to go into button config and JDCR explains it to him (lol), then tells him to move over. It's pretty shocking that a person so ill prepared and with little experience was able to take the eventual EVO champ so close to being sent to losers bracket. He does a throw in the second round of the second match intending for JDCR to break it so he can get on the 1P side. This is where he mentions that choosing sides is something he's very unfamiliar with, as on the arcade version of Tekken 7, each player can choose whichever camera side they want and he much preferred 1P, but lost Rock Paper Scissors to JDCR before their match for the choice of side. In the final round of the final match, Jeondding says he doesn't know why he didn't just lame out the rest of the match, instead of aggressively trying to close it out like he was. Then in the final comeback moment, Jeondding thought the match was over for sure with his combo and in his mind was saying "Bye JDCR!", instead we got "No, no, no, don't do that! Get up!"

Then he goes onto his match against Saint. He says it's not even worth calling a match, Jeondding lets Saint use his stick and he instead uses JDCR's stick. JDCR's stick was totally ill suited for him and he couldn't play at all, and gets destroyed. Can't move properly, dropped combos, and the discomfort and distraction just made it terrible. He doesn't really points fingers and blames himself for not being prepared for a console tournament in regards to things like settings and sticks.

Before he goes into his match against Bats, he wonders aloud why the Korean version of Nightbot doesn't do anything for his channel, while he sees him (it?) doing all kinds of useful things for other streamers. The chat all laughs at him and points out that Nightbot is not a person but a bot that he has to set up, and it paints a picture of someone who plays a lot of Tekken but knows very little of technology, shining a light on all his troubles with the console aspect of tournaments, and just looking kind of airheaded in general. The chat calls him a technology dummy, others hope it's just a joke or trolling, while others are astounded that this person could be this good at Tekken.

Finally he goes into his match against Bats to get into Top 8, there's not much to say besides the fact that Bats was intimidated by Jeondding, and Jeondding mentions he does Rodeo a lot on Bats because it's known in Korea that the Japanese are not very good at breaking throws.

Having only watched the Melee, Sm4sh and SFV streams on Twitch, i noticed a very annoying voice in the background almost all the time in the latter two streams. It sounded like another announcer, maybe from another stream?

Whatever it was, it was loud and quite disturbing for my stream experience.

RocBase

Having only watched the Melee, Sm4sh and SFV streams on Twitch, i noticed a very annoying voice in the background almost all the time in the latter two streams. It sounded like another announcer, maybe from another stream?

There's another commentator on the stage floor. That's what you were hearing.

The people at home hear the stream commentators - the people at the venue hear the commentators for the event.

Also, you were likely hearing Yipes who is the best human being in the FGC.

Top Bottom