• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revven

Going back to this for a moment. A lot of the complaints I'm seeing is that it wasn't put on the main stage at EVO like it was done on Apex 2015.

...does the Smash community even know what the suite in Salty Suite mean?

The people who actually go to events know what it means but the spectators don't because they're spoiled from Apex 2015 -- 99% of the people mad are likely new and were not exposed to Apex 2014's suite (which was actually much more like last night's except there was better planning for 2014).

GimR said way in advance of the suite to not expect a repeat of Apex 2015, it was intended to be a small event with only one headliner set (Kage vs Bizz) while everything else was last minute and people did what they wanted.

How those people missed it, I don't know. The video GimR made stating it was going to be a small affair was even on the front page of that subreddit.

In general, that subreddit is just a nightmare and makes drama out of anything and everything. They even misuse the phrase "sellout" as though GimR literally isn't allowed to make money or else he's a sellout. Anything he does is considered him "selling out", it's ridiculous lmao.

Neoxon

So Smash 4 was on Saturday afternoon (as well as being in the middle of Splatfest) & gathered 95k viewers. I think it's safe to say that Smash 4's coming back next year. Or more specifically, Smash 4 better come back next year.

Plus with how well the tournament ran & the amount of character variety that was present, I think we should stick with custom moves.

J@hranimo

Banned
So Smash 4 was on Saturday afternoon (as well as being in the middle of Splatfest) & gathered 95k viewers. I think it's safe to say that Smash 4's coming back, next year. Or more specifically, Smash 4 better come back next year.

Plus with how well the tournament ran & the amount of character variety that was present, I think we should stick with custom moves.

Agreed.

Also to note there weren't any Kong Cyclone abusers that made it far. Both Villager custom set ups were dealt accordingly by those who know the game and custom moves and the GFs was between to who used primarily vanilla Sheiks.

Very good look for Smash 4 compared to Apex!

Looking forward to the rest of the Tournament today!

CronoShot

So Smash 4 was on Saturday afternoon (as well as being in the middle of Splatfest) & gathered 95k viewers. I think it's safe to say that Smash 4's coming back, next year. Or more specifically, Smash 4 better come back next year.

Nah, custom Villager pretty much single handily ruins the customs game (seriously, watching Captain Awesome play was painful). That and the top 8 having almost no customs anyway, and I think customs are unnecessary.

Neoxon

Nah, custom Villager pretty much single handily ruins the customs game (seriously, watching Captain Awesome play was painful). That and the top 8 having almost no customs anyway, and I think customs are unnecessary.
But as J@hranimo said, none of the Custom Villagers made it that far. Plus, as stated earlier, custom moves brought about character variety that you wouldn't get with just the default moves.

Seyavesh

correcting my statement, flocker was eliminated in pools

sent to losers by hitbox buttons(cap/haggar/sentinel) , eliminated by hitbox shogun (wesker/dorm/ammy)

For tomorrow

Guilty Gear Xrd

Winners bracket
ODG|Nage (Faust) [Japan] vs. Dogura (Sin) [Japan]
Woshige (Millia) [Japan] vs. Ogawa (Zato-1) [Japan]

Losers bracket
Mr.KitKat (Axl) [Japan] vs. Nakamura (Millia) [Japan]
Rion (Ky) [Japan] vs. Zidane (Leo Whitefang) [USA]

Mortal Kombat X

Winners bracket
YOMI|DJT (Kung Lao - Tempest) [USA] vs. PND|A Foxy Grandpa (Kung Lao - Tempest) [UK]
cR|HoneyBee (D'Vorah - Swarm Queen) [Canada] vs. PND|Ketchup (Quan Chi - Sorcerer) [UK]

Losers bracket
JLA|MilkySituation (Reptile - Noxious) [USA] vs. YOMI|Zyphox (Liu Kang - Flame Fist) [USA]
cR|SonicFox (Erron Black - Outlaw, Kitana - Royal Storm) [USA] vs. YOMI|MIT (Tanya - Kobu Jutsu) [USA]

Super Smash Bros Melee

Winners bracket
Alliance|Armada (Peach) [Suecia] vs. Liquid|Hungrybox (Jigglypuff) [USA]
PG|Plup (Sheik) [USA] vs. EG|PPMD (Marth, Falco) [USA]

Losers bracket
TSM|Leffen (Fox) [Suecia] vs. Tempo|Axe (Pikachu) [USA]
MH|ChuDat (Ice Climbers) [USA] vs. C9|Mango (Fox, Falco) [USA]

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Winners bracket
TA|Frutsy (M.O.D.O.K., Captain America, Dr. Doom) [México] vs. BE|KaneBlueRiver (Hulk, Sentinel, Haggar) [Chile]
ApologyMan (Firebrand, Dr. Doom, Super-Skrull) [USA] vs. CTRL|RayRay (Magneto, Dr. Doom, Sentinel) [USA]

Losers bracket
GoldenBoyNeo (Magneto, Dr. Doom, Phoenix) [USA] vs. T3|Dizzy (Zero, Dr. Doom, Vergil) [México]
TMP|Cross (Zero, Dr. Strange, Dante) [Japan] vs. R.F. (Morrigan, Dr. Doom, Vergil) [Japan]

Ultra Street Fighter IV

Winners bracket
EG|Momochi (Ken) [Japan] vs. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma) [Japan]
AiAi (Juri) [Japan] vs. Infiltration (Evil Ryu, Elena, Chun-Li) [Korea]

Losers bracket
EG|PR Balrog (Balrog) [USA] vs. BE|Nemo (Rolento) [Japan]
AvM|GamerBee (Elena) [Taiwan] vs. Liquid|NuckleDu (Decapre, Guile) [USA]

17 Americans
13 Japaneses
2 Swedish
2 British
2 Mexicans
1 Korean
1 Chilean
1 Canadian
1 Taiwanese

Already won

Persona 4: KSB|Chou (Ken) [Japan]
Super Smash Bros 4: Zero (Sheik, Diddy Kong) [Chile]
Tekken 7: ORZ|Nobi (Dragunov) [Japan]
Killer Instinct: Rico Suave (Fulgore, Spinal, Thunder, Glacius, Omen) [USA]

Will see, but if USA doesn't win MK X and MvC3...

reposting

It was pretty funny last night because Persia and Ski thought RF and cross were the same person. Wonder what their reaction is going to be with that top 8 match.

Daaaaaaaamn this match! Lord Frieza was impressed

But who eliminated the gods?

fchamp lost to clock
justin lost to chris
chris lost to rf

kitzkozan

So Smash 4 was on Saturday afternoon (as well as being in the middle of Splatfest) & gathered 95k viewers. I think it's safe to say that Smash 4's coming back next year. Or more specifically, Smash 4 better come back next year.

Smash 4 is definitively coming back, since it fill in nicely what was often the slow day of EVO. It helped keep a steady viewership count on Saturday, which it will do again next year. SFV pools will possibly could take place over 2 days if they are 3000+ entrants next year, but they could run the top 64 on day 2 in the evening to get strong viewership and have the Smash 4 finals in the afternoon.

I think next year roster of game will be similar to this year, but with Xrd revelator replacing Xrd and SFV as the main event over USFIV (and P4U version 2.0 maybe). Keeping SFIV around is what might cause the TO headaches as I don't know where they would place it. Having 2 SF finals on the same day = overkill or not?

Gsnap

But as J@hranimo said, none of the Custom Villagers made it that far. Plus, as stated earlier, custom moves brought about character variety that you wouldn't get with just the default moves.

Yup. And as I've said before, if villagers customs are screwing up everything you don't go and ban all other characters customs along with villagers.

It really is that simple. Customs don't break the game (though sure, some might, so just ban those individual ones), and with proper moderation they can only enhance the game and the character variety.

Revven

So if customs aren't good enough to be necessary.

Why ban customs?

Because the top players feel like customs to a degree skip the neutral game and/or take out a lot of skill for gimmicky strategies that don't exist without customs being on. Without customs on, you don't see Villagers actively trying to timeout for 6 minutes -- they'll at best use the ledge for a few seconds to get some breathing room but then go back on stage because they can't safely stay at the ledge with their default specials.

You have things like Kong Cyclone (which didn't get very far despite how much hate it gets) which is a giant moving hitbox that KOs super early. You have Pikachu with Heavy Skull Bash that KOs well below typical KO %s (tbh I don't find this a bad thing but top players do). And then you have DLC characters without any custom moves at all, putting them at an inherent disadvantage.

I imagine there's going to be a lot of debate again once EVO is officially over today and everyone's back home. It already is clear to me, though, many of the players who actually attended EVO and saw matches off-stream were not pleased with customs. Remember, what we all saw on-stream yesterday and Friday was not every match. Results at the low-mid level of players were definitely thrown out of wack due to customs.

Nanashrew

Banned
Because the top players feel like customs to a degree skip the neutral game and/or take out a lot of skill for gimmicky strategies that don't exist without customs being on. Without customs on, you don't see Villagers actively trying to timeout for 6 minutes -- they'll at best use the ledge for a few seconds to get some breathing room but then go back on stage because they can't safely stay at the ledge with their default specials.

You have things like Kong Cyclone (which didn't get very far despite how much hate it gets) which is a giant moving hitbox that KOs super early. You have Pikachu with Heavy Skull Bash that KOs well below typical KO %s (tbh I don't find this a bad thing but top players do). And then you have DLC characters without any custom moves at all, putting them at an inherent disadvantage.

I imagine there's going to be a lot of debate again once EVO is officially over today and everyone's back home. It already is clear to me, though, many of the players who actually attended EVO and saw matches off-stream were not pleased with customs. Remember, what we all saw on-stream yesterday and Friday was not every match.

IIRC, Wario's bite is a natural counter to Donkey Kong's windy cyclone. I wonder if if any windy DK's lost to Wario offscreen.

Neoxon

I imagine there's going to be a lot of debate again once EVO is officially over today and everyone's back home. It already is clear to me, though, many of the players who actually attended EVO and saw matches off-stream were not pleased with customs. Remember, what we all saw on-stream yesterday and Friday was not every match. Results at the low-mid level of players were definitely thrown out of wack due to customs.
But, again, those Villagers didn't exactly get far (like you said about the Kong Cyclone). Pikachu went the distance, but eventually fell short. We wouldn't even have this much character variety at EVO had it not been for custom moves.

Tripon

Honestly, it just a difference of philosophy between the Smash community banning something (or doing anything in general) vs. The FGC who only try to ban something when shit is truly broken.

So I can see a scenario where most regions ban customs for Smash 4, and then EVO decides to do customs again for next year because nobody was able to prove that they were broken.
E

Edit:57 minutes to EVO starting!!!!

J@hranimo

Banned

Hmm, was this the impression of /r/Smashbros? If so, then I see two possible outcomes with customs:

1. Villager's extremely campy, gimmicky set gets some sort of ban or limitation while the rest of the customs roam free.

2. All custom usage for major tournaments will be banned, which in turn, most regional and local tournaments will follow suit. Possibly Customs will be delegated to a side thing but most usage of them will go away.

If it is the latter, then lol ok then. Nairo better be on point next year IF Zero doesn't truly go by his word and go full time Melee.

Nanashrew

Banned
Hmm, was this the impression of /r/Smashbros? If so, then I see two possible outcomes with customs:

1. Villager's extremely campy, gimmicky set gets some sort of ban or limitation while the rest of the customs roam free.

2. All custom usage for major tournaments will be banned, which in turn, most regional and local tournaments will follow suit. Possibly Customs will be delegated to a side thing but most usage of them will go away.

If it is the latter, then lol ok then. Nairo better be on point next year IF Zero doesn't truly go by his word and go full time Melee.

Is he going full time Melee, I thought it was just for 1 year? I know lots of people have wanted him to try to go hard in Melee before but he also brushed it to the side and dedicated himself to Smash 4.

Infiltration or Momochi are going to win tbh. Tokido always gets top 4, but doesn't win. Nemo is good enough, but is coming from loser's bracket. I don't believe in Americans. Gamerbee can get top 4, but will fall short. Aiai doesn't have the experience on the big stage compared to the rest of the players.

;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom