• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of a strange situation because unless Capcom releases a new fighter in 2014, we're going to be in a situation where a lot of Marvel heads might not have a place to go.

It kind of makes me curious how games like KI will be.

GGXrd looks flashy enough and has a ton of sparks, so maybe.

KI certainly looks dumb enough, but who knows.

jbug617

Banned
the way Capcom is acting I don't think we see a new fighting game from them for a little while. I think SFXT bombed so hard that it might be hard for them to greenlit another fighting game so soon

edit: Also downloadble games like MVC: Origins and Darkstalkers Resurrection bombed also.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'll throw up the OT2 when we get pass 19k. I think the OT2 should be fully dedicated to the final day. Just a few more hundred posts in here.

chrono01

lol, that's what I was trying to type and completely effed it up. Too sleepy, man. 4 in the morning.
Haha, no worries man. It's getting late here too. -_-

I know I should sleep, but all of this EVO hype isn't helping things. At least the Finals tomorrow start a little later than the Pools the last few days. Maybe I can actually get my morning coffee this time!

It will help
a bit...

TheOGB

Banned
I expect "Darkstalkers isn't DEAD!" followed by a Morrigan DLC costume for one of the female characters in SSFIV ver. 2014.
Even better!

Morrigan/Lei-Lei/Felicia alts for ALL female characters!
I'd actually be really hyped about this if they also included Dimitri/Jedah/Bishamon alts for the fellas

It seems that people will shift their focus away from Marvel after Evo. Which is fair because the game has gotten pretty stale. The other games are still getting new content and updates.

When will Capcom get that Marvel licence back? :(
I don't think Capcom is getting the license back. I really think that Marvel is a dead game to them. I also think that CAS is a strong possibility...

Marvel really needs an overhaul to combat the staleness, though. The game is fantastic, but there were a lot of really poor core decisions made, like the high damage meta-game and X-Factor. A reset-based fighter is always more interesting to watch than a ToD one. One reason the game is losing some steam is that every match between competent players goes like this:

1) Get hit.
2) Lose a character.
3) Lose second to an incoming mix-up + pressure.
4) Burn XF3 to avoid incoming mix-ups.
5) Maybe make a comeback.

Even though Street Fighter has its own scrubby comeback mechanic, it's far more interesting in practice. People still get hype when someone lands an Ultra, but when Vergil goes XF3 I go do some dishes for a minute or two.

Nobody else knows how good Morrigan is. Just pick her and instantly win.
People need to check out that ChrisG guy.

It's kind of a strange situation because unless Capcom releases a new fighter in 2014, we're going to be in a situation where a lot of Marvel heads might not have a place to go.

It kind of makes me curious how games like KI will be.
I think KI won't even last as long as MK. I stand by the fact that a game with a combo system that is basically endless TACs is a bad competitive game. If someone brings it to locals, I'll have fun jumping around and poking people with Glacius.

Maybe Skullgirls will pick up more players as time goes on. The game gets continual support and is a better Marvel game than Marvel 3 is in a few ways. It also has some problems, but they are less hindering.

BBCP for sure!

If only it were remotely appealing to Marvel players. :p

Unlucky

I missed it, whats the injustice top 8?
Winners bracket
EGP|MFSlayer (Superman)
EMP|KDZ (Superman)
Crazy DJT 88 (Green Lantern)
AGE|NYChrisG (Green Arrow, Black Adam)

Losers bracket
EMP|REO (Batman)
EMPR_Theo (Superman)
EG|PR Balrog (Killer Frost)
RDK|Godspeed (Black Adam)

Anime is fun. That's all there is to it.

That said, nerf Chizuru please.
I think they're fun as side-games. To me, any 1v1 game can only be a side game, because the matchups I have to deal with become redundant pretty fast. Team-based fighters are enjoyable because:
1) They involve a ton of creativity.
2) You can make a team that feels like it is "yours".
3) Team synergy means that your matches rarely get stale.

Assuming the game is well made and well balanced, of course.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think KI won't even last as long as MK. I stand by the fact that a game with a combo system that is basically endless TACs is a bad competitive game. If someone brings it to locals, I'll have fun jumping around and poking people with Glacius.

Maybe Skullgirls will pick up more players as time goes on. The game gets continual support and is a better Marvel game than Marvel 3 is in a few ways. It also has some problems, but they are less hindering.

Yeah, we'll have to see about KI. They recently added combo breaker breakers? Something like that. I have no idea how it's supposed to work, but maybe you can actually "tech" combo breakers, which would make it less of a TAC-like mechanic. Honestly, I think I'm just desperate for something new and fresh at this point, and Injustice really isn't my cup of tea.

And despite problems, it's also going to have updates and character additions as time goes on.

Maybe Skullgirls will gain more traction. I certainly hope it does.

I like one character in BB and dislike looking at the rest.

But wouldn't it be fun to beat up on the ugly characters with the one that you like?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think they're fun as side-games. To me, any 1v1 game can only be a side game, because the matchups I have to deal with become redundant pretty fast. Team-based fighters are enjoyable because:
1) They involve a ton of creativity.
2) You can make a team that feels like it is "yours".
3) Team synergy means that your matches rarely get stale.

Assuming the game is well made and well balanced, of course.
New exciting ways to pop x-factor.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A costume? you guys are fools if you dont think it will just be Morrigan straight up.

I'd fucking love it. New main confirmed.

EDIT: Actually it'd be kinda neat to have Morrigan w/Limiter as a character. She had a more SF-esque moveset and fewer movement options in order to blend into the roster since she's just there for fun. She could be dressed in her Casual Friday costume.

Wallach

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";70282636]PR Balrog
Xian
Chris G
Tokido
Infiltration
Justin Wong

Lot of people in multiple top 8s this year.[/QUOTE]

What did PR Rog make it into besides SF4?

Edit - Whoops I see he's in Injustice loser's. Didn't expect that one!

I-hate-u

I don't think Capcom is getting the license back. I really think that Marvel is a dead game to them. I also think that CAS is a strong possibility...

Very sad news if thats the case. The game has superb gameplay in its combo flow and snap-ness. Truly Capcom is unrivalled in combo and combat designing as shown in this game and DMC4. The game does need some overhaul as you mentioned and I hope Capcom does not cast away the fighting mechanics in this game.

Only 2 years at EVO instead of 3?
I mean in terms of tournament activity levels. NRS can pay for MK to be in as long as they want. Ditto for Microsoft and KI.

Play Guilty Gear.
I intend to when it comes out next gen, but again, as a side game. No 1v1 game can hold my interest as a main game.

I like one character in BB and dislike looking at the rest.
I like several BB characters, but I can't handle playing quite of a few of them (lol Arakune bug combos). I will probably hold off on this next version and wait for the final game. I find Rachel the most interesting right now, but I don't dig the loli thing.

Very sad news if thats the case. The game has superb gameplay in its combo flow and snap-ness. Truly Capcom is unrivalled in combo and combat designing as shown in this game and DMC4. The game does need some overhaul as you mentioned and I hope Capcom does not cast away the fighting mechanics in this game.
I was going to type a post about what makes sense from Capcom's perspective, and then I remembered that Capcom rarely does what makes sense, and deleted it.

chrono01

loldamn, sorry

I still hope for the next-gen DS4 miracle, but I almost don't want it with the way Capcom is .___.
It's okay, I'm pretty-much numb to the pain by now. It still causes slight discomfort, though.

I'll agree with this. I still love Street Fighter IV, and I feel it's a lot more interesting to watch, at least in my personal opinion, than MVC3/SFxT, etc. You can get a few really great matches going if there are players who can do so.

MVC3, though, I find incredibly boring [basically for the reasons listed above]. I'm not going to necessarily say it's a bad game, since I know it has quite a bit of fans and it might be a lot of fun to play locally, but for tournament matches I just can't get excited. I've tried, I can't.

This is my third EVO [I know, I started late], and each year it's my least-exciting round of matches. My eyes usually just glaze over as it's assaulted by a barrage of color and flashes.

I'll still watch the Finals tomorrow, but it's definitely the game I'm least hyped for. :(

Tokido said that out of all the games he entered for Evo, he was the most confident for KOF.

I'm curious what we'll see since he's fighting MadKOF tomorrow.

Lulubop

It's actually next week!

Darkstalkers is not happening. They might announce X1/PS4 versions next week though.

It's a general Capcom panel BTW, not SF specific.

I think they'll reveal the fifth character at SDCC, and he'll be related to something else they reveal there. No reason to be so secretive with it if it isn't related to a new project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom