• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that my salt levels would lower as the day passed, but I am still infuriated with those Hawk "buffs" that were mentioned. Hopefully someone with brains mentions something during the loke tests and can get him some actual changes.

Sheroking

I think they'll reveal the fifth character at SDCC, and he'll be related to something else they reveal there. No reason to be so secretive with it if it isn't related to a new project.

They're also crazy secretive about new character reveals though (and they usually leak). They were about Evil Ryu and Oni, they were about the MVC3 cast and the new characters in UMVC3.

My gut feeling is that they save the fifth character for the Capcom cup.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I thought that my salt levels would lower as the day passed, but I am still infuriated with those Hawk "buffs" that were mentioned. Hopefully someone with brains mentions something during the loke tests and can get him some actual changes.
Cancelable low forward is nice as it's a great normal, but it's not like his specials cover distance fast enough to combo and you'd basically be going for c mk xx ex spire.

Need to go back and look at walk speed though. That buff is as huge as the increase he gets.

Limit

MVC3, though, I find incredibly boring [basically for the reasons listed above]. I'm not going to necessarily say it's a bad game, since I know it has quite a bit of fans and it might be a lot of fun to play locally, but for tournament matches I just can't get excited. I've tried, I can't.

This is my third EVO [I know, I started late], and each year it's my least-exciting round of matches. My eyes usually just glaze over as it's assaulted by a barrage of color and flashes.

I'll still watch the Finals tomorrow, but it's definitely the game I'm least hyped for. :(

100% agree with this sentiment. MvC is just super followed by super followed by super ad nauseam. Its the dubstep of fighting games. All hype moves all the time, which only serves to desensitize the notion of crazy powerful ultimate moves. I would rather have the more grounded approach of Street Fighter or KoF any day of the week where super moves actually mean something.

Cancelable low forward is nice as it's a great normal, but it's not like his specials cover distance fast enough to combo and you'd basically be going for c mk xx ex spire.

The video they showed that demonstrated that change was hilarious in a sad way because the cr. mk > Tomahawk whiffed every single time.

Sheroking

c.mk into tomahawk explicitly combos according to the slide.

J.HP > c.MK > EX Tomahawk is probably going to be better damage than FADC Ultra for some characters.

Chindogg

It's actually next week!

Darkstalkers is not happening. They might announce X1/PS4 versions next week though.

It's a general Capcom panel BTW, not SF specific.

There's a general Capcom panel on Thursday and a SF panel on Friday. Maybe someone might try to stream the panel. *cough*

RC

Banned
100% agree with this sentiment. MvC is just super followed by super followed by super ad nauseam. Its the dubstep of fighting games. All hype moves all the time, which only serves to desensitize the notion of crazy powerful ultimate moves. I would rather have the more grounded approach of Street Fighter or KoF any day of the week where super moves actually mean something.

I'm with you there. All those screen filling supers and projectiles from everywhere make the game really hard to follow. (Let alone playing it) Probably why I haven't enjoyed a versus game since CVS2.

Even if occupancy doesn't exceed the number of seats in the ballroom, there's no guarantee that the people in the back won't just decide to sit closer to the stage on an aisle instead
I don't know what the layout is this year but I'd think they could rope off an area vip-style?

but i'm not there so I will stream in bed in my pj's lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
c.mk into tomahawk explicitly combos according to the slide.

J.HK > c.MK > EX Tomahawk is probably going to be better damage than FADC Ultra for some characters.
Ohh right, that would be a lot better that jumpin > cl. mp > tomahawk as that doesn't give you much time to hit confirm and the spacing might be off.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't think Capcom is getting the license back. I really think that Marvel is a dead game to them.
It's funny to see people convince themselves of this when the exact same thing was said between MvC2 and MvC3 for years.

Dat selective amnesia.

Actually it'd be kinda neat to have Morrigan w/Limiter as a character. She had a more SF-esque moveset and fewer movement options in order to blend into the roster since she's just there for fun. She could be dressed in her Casual Friday costume.
A "limited Morrigan" would be "SF4 shoto #7" or so. Kind of a waste.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's funny to see people convince themselves of this when the exact same thing was said between MvC2 and MvC3 for years.

Dat selective amnesia.

A "limited Morrigan" would be "SF4 shoto #7" or so. Kind of a waste.

I think when people say "dead" though, they mean on hiatus really. Which is what happened to the MvC series after 2.

Don't you see? Shoto#7 is what makes her a prime candidate for the update. Remember Evil Ryu and Oni? :p

I think when people say "dead" though, they mean on hiatus really. Which is what happened to the MvC series after 2.

Don't you see? Shoto#7 is what makes her a prime candidate for the update. Remember Evil Ryu and Oni? :p

People think Darkstalkers is on hiatus.

When they say dead they mean dead.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I'd fucking love it. New main confirmed.

EDIT: Actually it'd be kinda neat to have Morrigan w/Limiter as a character. She had a more SF-esque moveset and fewer movement options in order to blend into the roster since she's just there for fun. She could be dressed in her Casual Friday costume.
As much as I'd like it too, three words come to mind: forward, forward, button.

That's the common initial impression marvel gives spectators. But I've known many who change their tune after watching more.

Sandfox

It's actually next week!

Darkstalkers is not happening. They might announce X1/PS4 versions next week though.

It's a general Capcom panel BTW, not SF specific.

I don't see a next gen announcement coming.We're not getting a SF on the new consoles until they are done with SF4.

smurfx

get some go again
didn't even know rog played injustice and he's in top 8? how the hell did the injustice community let that happen? is there an injustice scene in norcal? i'm probably more hyped about sf4 then i am marvel this year. if the 5th character is revealed to be haggar then i will probably start playing it seriously.

ad_idem

A lot of players are sponsored so they can't go around doing salty suites type stuff. But I sure miss the old days of Art about to destroy Daigo in a money match only to let him come back with a c.hp into super.

I remember those days, but apparently have selective amnesia as well. Each year I keep looking forward to fun Salty Suite streams, but each evo I keep getting more disappointed (in regards to after hours stuff). Wonder why I keep forgetting every time evo comes around.

Having said that, apparently people seemed to have enjoyed the anime US vs. Japan set, so I guess I'll go check that out.

I'll tell what supers mean something.

Astral Vision
Sougenmu
Spiral Swords

You can never desensitize the holy trinity. Once these suckers pop the fun don't stop (
If you do the popping, that is
).

Lulubop

The Salty Suites two years ago were really good. I remember Poongko taking on anyone and everyone and a lot the Japanese getting in on Money Matches. Rip to them days.

Speaking of Salty Suites, was it Gootecks who coined that term 3 years ago at EVO 2010? From what I can remember, they rented a bigger room and advertised it as the "Salty Suite" where you can go to play and watch big money matches. And they did charge people for entering. But I think that was back in 2010 because I remember Gamerbee winning a high rollers tourney where they put in $50 each or something like that. Their were some great matches back then. Too bad all the big names never get involved anymore, I use to look forward to salty suites almost as much as the Semi's/GF themselves.

RC

Banned
Speaking of Salty Suites, was it Gootecks who coined that term 3 years ago at EVO 2010? From what I can remember, they rented a bigger room and advertised it as the "Salty Suite" where you can go to play and watch big money matches. And they did charge people for entering. But I think that was back in 2010 because I remember Gamerbee winning a high rollers tourney where they put in $50 each or something like that. Their were some great matches back then. Too bad all the big names never get involved anymore, I use to look forward to salty suites almost as much as the Semi's/GF themselves.

Gamerbee couldn't be touched in that tourney. I also remember some Japanese players doing the money exchanges on camera. (Which they weren't allowed to do)

Busaiku

CDNzcbI.jpg

SKD won Evo.

Shouta

Darryn getting Viscant mad salty was so awesome of his trash-talking about NWM, or at least as I recall. The entire section of folks watching the match was Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, myself included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom