• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 IOT2I - The GODS have fallen - Final day July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't even post during SF4 top 8. Too intense. That Infiltration/Gamerbee was like nothing I've ever seen. And yes, funny enough it was due to Gamerbee milking everything out of an Ultra that is looking pretty damn broken, making it one of the most dramatic matches ever as you desperately want the other guy to overcome it. (nothing against Bee, total respect for him, just the mechanic)

Infiltration you didn't win but you're my champion :( His play was phenomenal. He put in so much work against the healbots, the Abel pick was so hype, and using Juri to better punish the heals was brilliant. And when he got stuck using his barely tournament-tested character against Gamerbee's Adon who he's been maining for years, and came within 1 second of timer of winning that anyway. He has no peer in SF4. He can play so many different styles with so many characters in the biggest situations.

Man I was pretty much just like you. Hardly posted during top 8 and was just enamored by almost every second of what I was watching. I was watching with a friend, we were both at our own house but we talked using teamspeak(VOIP app). And we were in just complete awe of the skill on display. We saw a blow up, we saw a complete rushdown fest, we saw arguably the greatest set and also the longest in EVO SF4 history, and then we were treated to arguably the best GF's in EVO SF4 history. We were both so happy to witness it and by the end we felt just as drained as the players who were participating.

Winners, losers, and GF's were all very long, slow paced and went down to the final game. And yet the numbers kept climbing. I hope this means that even casuals are learning to embrace all aspects of SF and not just complain that nothing is happening on screen. Sometimes the fact that nothing is happening is hype. It adds to the tension, you sit there and watch waiting and waiting for that moment that could completely turn the tide of the match. I hope more people are able to appreciate these kind of matches in the future.

Number45

Just got through watching all of the top 8 from last night. Holy shit, that disconnect! :eek:

Will be cheering for Gamerbee next year though I think. Some amazing play and gracious in both victory and defeat.

Healing Hype is better
That match was insane.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Healing Hype is better

best long set ever

elenawin2.gif

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Also, I could use a healing hype video if possible, I missed it.

Just stare at this for 5 minutes. That's pretty much the same thing.

Healing.jpg

Chun still beats Elena IMO. It's been a while since I've played SF4 but I'm pretty sure Elena can't use healing without a setup if Chun has U1.

I'll be real, the only reason I watched UMVC3 Finals was for RayRay because he's my favorite player. Other than him and Cross, who just won me with his super impressive Zero/Strange/Dante play, I didn't care for much in GF. I seriously thought Apologyman would take it until he stopped blocking.

That being said, it was still enjoyable, but not at the same level as other EVOs.

KingBroly

Banned
I don't necessarily want to see him lose the match but I love seeing him get tested and have to think hard about which character he's going to switch to. The Abel switch came out of nowhere and almost got him to GF. That may have been my highlight of the entire day even though it didn't necessarily work out.

The Abel switch didn't work. That put him down 2-1. It was the Juri switch that almost got him there. And honestly, I'm not sure what button he pressed at the end, but if it wasn't a Fierce, a Fierce would've put him there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Healing Hype is better

So many people angry Elena has the ability to troll heal while they have to deal with not having that ability. It's like "dudes, hit her and make sure her player can't use the full heal."

Prototype

In the future they should really have cameras following top players around. It's incredibly lame to hear about a player losing. Off-camera losses are the antithesis of hype.

this is partly why I didn't think this years EVO was all that great.

So many people angry Elena has the ability to troll heal while they have to deal with not having that ability. It's like "dudes, hit her and make sure her player can't use the full heal."
Oh, JUST HIT YOUR OPPONENT. You should notify Infiltration of this. He probably doesn't know.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, JUST HIT YOUR OPPONENT. You should notify Infiltration of this. He probably doesn't know.

Instead of sitting there spamming fireballs at her for hours, maybe he should've went in before she set-up? Elena's heal is powerful, yes. But, it isn't as broken as half of Twitter is crying about.

Prototype

Instead of sitting there spamming fireballs at her for hours, maybe he should've went in before she set-up?.

You make it sound so easy. Thank you for enlightening everyone.

Just hit them. Just go in.

ok.gif

mbpm1

Instead of sitting there spamming fireballs at her for hours, maybe he should've went in before she set-up? Elena's heal is powerful, yes. But, it isn't as broken as half of Twitter is crying about.

In truth it's easy to say this, but going in on an alert Elena can be nigh-impossible when she has

1) 3 frame jab that out ranges many long range moves AND low profiles a lot of moves AND leads pretty simply into a hard knockdown and between 200-400 damage

2) Numerous anti-airs which may have questionable damage but can be very consistent and difficult to beat for non-dive kick characters

3) Slide which hard knocks down if you try to stay at mid range and hits low

4) Mallet Smash which combos into jab which leads back into hard knock down and hits high

5) Crouching attacks which can low profile if jump ins are too good

6) If all else goes wrong, EX DP

7) If there's no meter for dat DP, focus into pretty good backdash, or just backdash

8) Every hard knockdown leads into a horrible mixup situation.

Going in on Elena can really suck too (and lead to the healing you were trying to prevent in the first place) so I don't blame Infiltration for not wanting to approach too much. He had to mix it up though, which he didn't for some reason. And he picked U2 for no reason lol

Donos

As a non fighting game player i found MKX quite entertaining. Really like the animation when they get back up after a loss. That SonicFox guy looked like it was a walk in the park for him.
Gamerbee vs Momochi: you really saw how uncomfortable Momochi was after the win. Gamerbee vs Infiltration was really nice and i bet it's not easy to "just attack her, when she is healing" on such a high level play. I also don't get the "shameless" comments from the commentators. It wasn't a glitch or something but a special from the character. And Infiltration even managed to punish it from time to time and Juri looked capable at countering it.

Mahvel and Anime Fighters.... still can't see shit watching these games.I can feel the hype but there is to much stuff going on on the screen.

Smash games are somehow totally uninteresting to watch for me. Don't know why. Can't see the finesse in these games like i can see with SF, MK,KI, KOF (bring it back!)

Maybe i'm going to get into SFV a bit although i'm not really a fan of online VS.

Fighting games overall are nice to spectate, even as a total noob. Mobas on the other hand are not really exctiting for me (never played them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom