• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Anyone actually expect DBZ to take over SFV and Marvel in FGC? I highly doubt it will cause that big impact in the tournament scene.

Can't see it touching SFV but I could see it contending with and having higher numbers than Marvel, just based off how many more people will likely end up buying DBZ and how poor the reception is for MVCI.

I just realized the last two EVO's have had two signature quotes from the SFV champions. Last year was Infiltration's "Download complete" which got everybody so pumped. This year it was Tokido's "Fighting games are great"(not an exact quote) which warmed our hearts and got some choked up. What will next years champ have to say?

I just realized the last two EVO's have had two signature quotes from the SFV champions. Last year was Infiltration's "Download complete" which got everybody so pumped. This year it was Tokido's "Fighting games are great"(not an exact quote) which warmed our hearts and got some choked up. What will next years champ have to say?

If Punk wins we'll definitely get a good one. Two of my favorites from are "I had to put the kids in they place" and when he told Flash "Remember, i'm just a one hit wonder but you just got cooked by my secondary".

Cross posting from the Tekken 7 thread:

Was watching Jeondding's stream last night, the first after EVO, and he gave some lore about his top 8 matches. Here's my translation.

He swears he should have beaten JDCR in their match, because JDCR was totally off his game, making input errors and getting hit by all kinds of stuff he doesn't normally get hit by. In addition, he gave away a match and was thrown off for the entire set because of a button issue. When he played JDCR, his buttons were configured completely wrong. Knee had played previously on the side that Jeondding was on, and Knee uses a different button config than most players, using the four buttons one column to the right on a typical stick config. Jeondding's only tournament experience are in Korean Tekken leagues and Mastercup a few times in Japan, so he's very inexperienced when it comes to console tournaments and just hopped on and started playing without a button check. You can see in the first seconds of the first match, he realizes the buttons are messed up and starts checking his buttons. JDCR also realizes the situation and backs off for about 10 seconds. Jeondding asks JDCR what he should do, and JDCR says just play on. Jeondding is flustered at this point, but moves his fingers over to Knee's setup and plays on. He actually adjusts himself really well to a really weird button config and starts getting into his groove. He pointed out all the various moments when JDCR was just getting hit by random stuff that he never got hit by when Jeondding would play JDCR and the fact that JDCR rarely gets counterhit, because of JDCR's nerves. Jeondding swears that even though it's impossible to believe, being his big tournament and it being the biggest Tekken tournament ever, he wasn't nervous at all. He says it just feels like he's playing matches at the arcade against JDCR. He talks about how he didn't really understand the depth it takes to be the best as a progamer and that the best players do a lot of things outside of just being good at their game. Once he got to EVO and saw how JDCR and Saint would maintain their physical and mental condition in preparation for their matches by eating and sleeping properly, he realized that he didn't take EVO nearly seriously enough, noting that he was playing SF5 on his stream 2 days before leaving for EVO (lol). The first match ends and he regrets everything that went on in it, really feeling like it should've been his match. Between the first and second match you can see him ask JDCR how to go into button config and JDCR explains it to him (lol), then tells him to move over. It's pretty shocking that a person so ill prepared and with little experience was able to take the eventual EVO champ so close to being sent to losers bracket. He does a throw in the second round of the second match intending for JDCR to break it so he can get on the 1P side. This is where he mentions that choosing sides is something he's very unfamiliar with, as on the arcade version of Tekken 7, each player can choose whichever camera side they want and he much preferred 1P, but lost Rock Paper Scissors to JDCR before their match for the choice of side. In the final round of the final match, Jeondding says he doesn't know why he didn't just lame out the rest of the match, instead of aggressively trying to close it out like he was. Then in the final comeback moment, Jeondding thought the match was over for sure with his combo and in his mind was saying "Bye JDCR!", instead we got "No, no, no, don't do that! Get up!"

Then he goes onto his match against Saint. He says it's not even worth calling a match, Jeondding lets Saint use his stick and he instead uses JDCR's stick. JDCR's stick was totally ill suited for him and he couldn't play at all, and gets destroyed. Can't move properly, dropped combos, and the discomfort and distraction just made it terrible. He doesn't really points fingers and blames himself for not being prepared for a console tournament in regards to things like settings and sticks.

Before he goes into his match against Bats, he wonders aloud why the Korean version of Nightbot doesn't do anything for his channel, while he sees him (it?) doing all kinds of useful things for other streamers. The chat all laughs at him and points out that Nightbot is not a person but a bot that he has to set up, and it paints a picture of someone who plays a lot of Tekken but knows very little of technology, shining a light on all his troubles with the console aspect of tournaments, and just looking kind of airheaded in general. The chat calls him a technology dummy, others hope it's just a joke or trolling, while others are astounded that this person could be this good at Tekken.

Finally he goes into his match against Bats to get into Top 8, there's not much to say besides the fact that Bats was intimidated by Jeondding, and Jeondding mentions he does Rodeo a lot on Bats because it's known in Korea that the Japanese are not very good at breaking throws.

1. Hahaha, JDCR is ruthless

2. ..why did he let Saint use his stick??

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone actually expect DBZ to take over SFV and Marvel in FGC? I highly doubt it will cause that big impact in the tournament scene.
It has some of the most enthusiasm I've seen for a fighting game in a long time, across different communities.

It also has the benefit of not being tied to off-putting designs or gameplay mechanics that usually keep people away from ASW, opting to rip off one of Capcom's beloved franchises.

It's got a good shot at passing MvCI, but SF will forever be the king. Also contingent about how aggressive ASW is when it comes to announcing revisions and invalidating the old game.

Anth0ny

I don't see it surpassing Street Fighter, Marvel or Smash. But it'll settle at #4 if this positive momentum continues to launch and it feels good to play once its released.

Considering DBZ games never really had a foothold in the FGC, for it to hit 1000 entrants next year a Evo would be super impressive. And I expect it.

Swarna

DBZ is pretty big.

Plus it doesn't have degenerate anime design like ASW's other games.

It will destroy both in sales and I'd bet it definitely has the potential to be bigger than at least marvel in the tourney scene considering the reception so far.

It will destroy all other anime games that's for sure.

I don't see it surpassing Street Fighter, Marvel or Smash. But it'll settle at #4 if this positive momentum continues to launch and it feels good to play once its released.

Considering DBZ games never really had a foothold in the FGC, for it to hit 1000 entrants next year a Evo would be super impressive. And I expect it.

I think it can get close to Marvel numbers, possibly beating it, and probably will be beat by SF5 and both smash games next year. The reason is because there is a lot of cross section between many communities, GG, BB, side anime games, Marvel, and Street Fighter (because from experience they sign up for whatever else on the side too). On top of bringing in general Dragonball fans which could be a part of any community.

Dahbomb

1000 entrants is the floor for DBZ. At the same time, 2000 entrants is the floor for Marvel Infinite. We'll see how things pan out though.

Neoxon

I think it can get close to Marvel numbers, possibly beating it, and probably will be beat by SF5 and both smash games next year. The reason is because there is a lot of cross section between many communities, GG, BB, side anime games, Marvel, and Street Fighter (because from experience they sign up for whatever else on the side too). On top of bringing in general Dragonball fans which could be a part of any community.
DBFZ has a shot at beating the Smash games & maybe Marvel, but it's not passing up SFV.

JusDoIt

DBFZ has a shot at beating the Smash games & maybe Marvel, but it's not passing up SFV.

I can see it beating Marvel. I don't think it will, but I won't be surprised if it does. No way it beats either Smash, especially Smash 4 after this year's Grand Finals. Anybody saying it comes anywhere close to SFV numbers is just trolling.

Anth0ny

Marvel will probably have more money backing its pots from sponsors. That alone will help it.

Yeah that's why I don't think DBZ will touch marvel or sf. Sales/popularity are important but injustice and MK show that it doesn't necessarily translate to entrants in tournaments.

Marvel and SF will have Capcom supporting them more than anyone else. Smash's community is insane and won't stop playing either game. I see DBZ slotting in right behind.

Do you think Marvel is going to beat the Smash's next year? I think both Smash games will be at or near 2k again next year. I think that's too high of a bar for Marvel to reach in its first try. I'm predicting it gets around 1500. DBFZ is riding on a real big high right now. It has so much positivity going for it and if it can cap it off with rave reviews(from fans and critics) and great sales then maybe it can match Marvel.

I think Marvel is more capable than that, especially in this day and age where the community has been growing. But I feel like the bad publicity combined with the fact that this isn't the "real MvC4" to a lot of people will hold it down to the numbers I'm predicting.

Lulubop

Do you think Marvel is going to beat the Smash's next year? I think both Smash games will be at or near 2k again next year. I think that's too high of a bar for Marvel to reach in its first try. I'm predicting it gets around 1500. DBFZ is riding on a real big high right now. It has so much positivity going for it and if it can cap it off with rave reviews(from fans and critics) and great sales then maybe it can match Marvel.

I think Marvel is more capable than that, especially in this day and age where the community has been growing. But I feel like the bad publicity combined with the fact that this isn't the "real MvC4" to a lot of people will hold it down to the numbers I'm predicting.

Do you think SF will have more than this year? I honestly think right now, at this moment is probably in the worst state SFV will ever be since S3 will bring changes people want and fan favorite characters

Neoxon

Do you think SF will have more than this year? I honestly think right now, at this moment is probably in the worst state SFV will ever be since S3 will bring changes people want and fan favorite characters
Even now, SFV is above USFIV's best in entrants. Assuming the S3 changes are well-received and the rumors of Sagat & Sakura being in S3 pan out, I'd imagine that SFV entrant numbers will go up.

Unless Capcom does some crazy shit with season 3 SFV will probably fall a lil bit not anything like this year tho. Marvel will probably be 2nd highest then the Smashes then DBZ.

JusDoIt

If Capcom announces Sagat for Season 3, SFV is breaking 3k easy at Evo 2018.

RocBase

Marvel will probably have more money backing its pots from sponsors. That alone will help it.

The thing is, Bamco will probably do similarly with DBFZ. They've gone on record saying they want it to be the first anime eSports title.

I get the impression they're going to be aggressive with attracting as much players as they can possibly get.

EDIT: That being said, whether it will best Marvel I have literally no idea. I can't reasonably gauge anything about that game all things considered, the only thing I expect from it is that it will best its EVO numbers from 2011.

Smash games have the least crossover into other games, so their numbers will be relatively unaffected, so I think the release effects them the least and SF5 is the largest group, so naturally it will stay on top. But if it does beat Smash, that would be something and I hope it does.

I made a bunch of edits in a minute.

ec0ec0

If Capcom announces Sagat for Season 3, SFV is breaking 3k easy at Evo 2018.

evo may get more entrants, because of an hypothetical super Street fighter 5 release, sure, but it wouldn't be because of sagat lol

Simply adding more characters over time it's not going to change anything. It would still be the same game.

And what do people want out of sagat in street fighter 5 anyway? capcom are allergic to fireballs, so they probably wouldn't let even sagat having a solid fireball game.

To have a fireball game in a game where every character has a way around fireballs, you would have to give him a pretty good one. And the reason why everyone has a way around fireballs is because they wanted to prevent characters with a fireball having a fireball game in the first place so...

JusDoIt

Are posts like this serious?

Just adding Sagat will do all that?

It's not because they would be just adding Sagat. I meant more because of what that signals for the game. It's the inertia. SFV just had a great Evo. It's likely to have a great Capcom Cup. They've slowly been addressing concerns about the title since launch. They announce Sagat, that's another wave of positivity. I can easily see them adding another four hundred people riding that wave.

Also, there's this:

https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/887028857542496256

Hardly a scientific poll, but Javits' followers represent the hardcore crowd, and you got about 800 people saying Tokido's Akuma makes them want to compete in SFV again. Hitting 3k at Evo next year is not a stretch.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
EVO is love when hold that L and run it back. Wow, that's actually a pretty fucking amazing quote by Zhi.

I've been telling you guys for ages that Zhi is the fucking man. My favorite commentator by a country mile. Thuy knows SF inside out and his wit is umatched. They should've really gotten him to commentate along side James rather than the other dude.

Chavelo

It's not because they would be just adding Sagat. I meant more because of what that signals for the game. It's the inertia. SFV just had a great Evo. It's likely to have a great Capcom Cup. They've slowly been addressing concerns about the title since launch. They announce Sagat, that's another wave of positivity. I can easily see them adding another four hundred people riding that wave.

Also, there's this:

https://twitter.com/jav1ts/status/887028857542496256

Hardly a scientific poll, but Javits' followers represent the hardcore crowd, and you got about 800 people saying Tokido's Akuma makes them want to compete in SFV again. Hitting 3k at Evo next year is not a stretch.

Agreed on the EVO/CapCup/Sagat points, but retweets take only a second to do, and we got a whole year ahead of us to see if that really happens. Slacktivism doesn't get stuff done, at least for this stuff.

DunpealD

Considering how fast signups were for the 4 tournaments they ran, I can see DBZ doing really well in numbers once released.

Didn't like only 20 people show up out of 100+ registered players?

I can see DBFZ being as sizeable as SFV next year, due to honeymoon time like SFV had last year. There is a lot of hype going around for it.

I can see DBFZ being as sizeable as SFV next year, due to honeymoon time like SFV had last year. There is a lot of hype going around for it.

I think so but they were allowing people to sign up to wait for a spot if someone didn't show up. So I don't think only 20 people played that first tournament.

That was Friday morning when most players had other registered matches elsewhere, they ran a second tourny in the afternoon and the following day and those were packed.

Top Bottom