• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlucky

Also, holy hell!!

Arturo Sanchez ‏@nycfurby 14m
I'm recording the eu vs us ae 7v7 now. Internet is spotty and I can barely use twitter from my cellphone jus letting u know it's happening

Shouta

Sherry Nhan ‏@sherryjenix 21m
@abegen21 Filipino champ says MM nemo in 2236 Ballys hotel

Wish I could see this.

Apparently, according to Nemo it's for 1000 bucks tomorrow going by his tweet. Though, I guess they're gonna do it now?

GamerJM

Banned
It's okay, I'm pretty-much numb to the pain by now. It still causes slight discomfort, though.

I'll agree with this. I still love Street Fighter IV, and I feel it's a lot more interesting to watch, at least in my personal opinion, than MVC3/SFxT, etc. You can get a few really great matches going if there are players who can do so.

MVC3, though, I find incredibly boring [basically for the reasons listed above]. I'm not going to necessarily say it's a bad game, since I know it has quite a bit of fans and it might be a lot of fun to play locally, but for tournament matches I just can't get excited. I've tried, I can't.

This is my third EVO [I know, I started late], and each year it's my least-exciting round of matches. My eyes usually just glaze over as it's assaulted by a barrage of color and flashes.

I'll still watch the Finals tomorrow, but it's definitely the game I'm least hyped for. :(

Honestly, right now I'm more interested in more of the results and drama that goes on over Marvel than the actual game itself. I used to like watching it but the game it's evolved into right now is now more boring to watch than SF4. The biggest reason I pay attention to it is more to see what happens when Chris G loses and all of the random upsets that happen. The 4 players that made winners finals really surprised me.

In terms of playing I honestly don't like any of Capcom's fighting games this gen that much. Marvel 3 is fun but I like it less than Marvel 2. I really don't like SF4 or SFxT at all. I'm a scrub at all of these games though and I still like their output from the DreamCast-era better, so whatever. I might get the new update in a Steam sale or something.

Jintor

Holy the fucking commentary on these bananaken team america v team japan matches is amazing. Just constantly ribbing Bananaken about his waifu daikamura. lolololol

Unlucky

DryEyeRelief, thank you for posting the stream archive links for Day 2 and Day 1.
I'm going to watch some of the AE semis again to get hype for tomorrow.

Jubern

Holy the fucking commentary on these bananaken team america v team japan matches is amazing. Just constantly ribbing Bananaken about his waifu daikamura. lolololol

I lost it when the guy asked the interpreter to ask Yume who is waifu was lol

Fraeon

Honestly, right now I'm more interested in more of the results and drama that goes on over Marvel than the actual game itself. I used to like watching it but the game it's evolved into right now is now more boring to watch than SF4.

Evolved? It's always been combos for days with that game.

HardRojo

Just to clear some stuff up, the guy from Peru in UMvC3's top 8 is Zack Fernandez, he's always been a Dante/Zero player, ever since his first vanilla MvC3 days, I'm a close friend of his and as you might notice I can't be more excited to know that he's the only foreigner left at Marvel, the guy's very humble, I hope this trip to the US will open his eyes and he realizes there's not only Peru and Chile to defeat, back in January he got beat up badly by KaneBlueRiver but it seems the extra weeks before EVO have done some goodto him and he's gotten used to bigger tournament settings.

The bottom line is, I'm proud and I can't fucking wait to watch Marvel come tomorrow night! He's already accomplished more than we could have hoped for and Peru will definitely be back for EVO 2014! Come on Zack! You can do this!

1000132_10151746488475631_998611472_n.jpg

OatmealMu

Damn, is that why they asked Yume about Yoko and waifus? I was wondering what was going on. The guy translating wasn't having that shit, though.

Maybe Skullgirls will pick up more players as time goes on. The game gets continual support and is a better Marvel game than Marvel 3 is in a few ways. It also has some problems, but they are less hindering.
Nothing stops this train. I full expect next year's EVO turnout to top this year's once the five new characters are out and PC people get their hands on it.

I'm just not going to lose my marbles and declare a five-hundred man turnout.

Jintor

Skullgirls is hype. I hope it gets more hype. Of course, what I really want is to be able to quick match in my region and get a god damned response.

alstein

Which game will KI replace next year

Right now I think these are the games that are locks for Evo next year, and predicted turnout for each game if it makes it

AE2014 (1500)
Marvel (1200)
BBCP- this will be the freshest game, it will make it. (400)

Games with a good chance:

Injustice - don't know it will age well. (80% chance) (300)

Skullgirls- the issue here is going to be a split community 3-ways among a smaller game, but it will grow and it's getting stuff added- so folks will come. It's gonna take tourney attendance, but I think it will get it. (70% chance) (350)

Divekick- the issue here is support if something gets broken, and whether the game will last beyond initial appeal. I see 50/50 odds. Being a fast game will help its chances. (60% chance) (200)

TTT2- I think this game will keep its numbers, though I doubt it gains any. If DOA5U does well I can see it stealing the spot (60% chance, 20% for DOA5U, 0% of both) (250)

KI- being on the XBone will hurt its chances, I think Microsoft's unpopularity might keep the tourney numbers down, and if the game is broken at launch it might doom it. People won't buy a $500 system for Killer Instinct. (and you're talking to a guy who once spent $400 just to play VF5) (40% chance) (200)

I don't think the legion of kusoge anime games coming out this fall will be at Evo.

Yes, I'm predicting a drop in attendance for Evo next year.

I do think this is the last Evo for KOFXIII, Persona, SFxTK, and MK. KOFXIII has a chance, but it's only popular in pockets now.

I see KI making it if MS decides to hook up the Illuminati with some Xbones so they dont have to go out and buy a bunch of $500 consoles and copies for each console

GamerJM

Banned
Evolved? It's always been combos for days with that game.

Not that, I'm more talking about the lack of variety I see now. I feel like most of what I've seen is stuff I've seen before, especially with the top players. Zero loops, Morridoom, Vergil's combos, etc.

Unlucky

Just to clear some stuff up, the guy from Peru in UMvC3's top 8 is Zack Fernandez, he's always been a Dante/Zero player, ever since his first vanilla MvC3 days, I'm a close friend of his and as you might notice I can't be more excited to know that he's the only foreigner left at Marvel, the guy's very humble, I hope this trip to the US will open his eyes and he realizes there's not only Peru and Chile to defeat, back in January he got beat up badly by KaneBlueRiver but it seems the extra weeks before EVO have done some goodto him and he's gotten used to bigger tournament settings.

The bottom line is, I'm proud and I can't fucking wait to watch Marvel come tomorrow night! He's already accomplished more than we could have hoped for and Peru will definitely be back for EVO 2014! Come on Zack! You can do this!
Congratulations to Zack. Keeping a cool head on the big stage can't be easy, and making it to top 8 at EVO is no small accomplishment. However, let's take a look at whom he played in this tournament:

atx|Zack won against
Yaf-q8
Heavyd853
Wings
Gary with glasses
Noodleleopard
Lag | tt tako
Danke
Fgtv | TA Moons
Paradigm

Lost to
FS|EMP Flocker

While Zack seems like a talented player and has had a great showing this weekend, we here in the US have not seen him win against any of the S- or A-tier players detailed in TLE & Dahbomb's Marvel preview (except for Moons whom he beat 3-2), and you said he lost to KaneBlueRiver. Congrats to him on making it to top 8, but in many ways he is still untested. That being said, I'd love to see him upset some players in finals tomorrow, and I look forward to seeing good things from Zack in the future.

will never happen for skull girls.
So you agree with me.
Skullgirls- the issue here is going to be a split community 3-ways among a smaller game, but it will grow and it's getting stuff added- so folks will come. It's gonna take tourney attendance, but I think it will get it. (70% chance) (350)
I'm not holding my breath unless they do something like this year's cancer research drive again.

Edit: Listing BlazBlue as a certainty and not Injustice? LOL

alstein

They make sense...but you are not fully factoring in "we don't get any money for MK9 but here is MK9" hats so who knows.

I don't think NRS moneyhatted MK9 in, I think it got in largely on its attendance at fall 2012 majors (it did very well at NEC).

Injustice I think will get in moneyhat or not. The only game I can see getting and needing a moneyhat in would be DOA5U.

KI, I just think the FGC is going to be so anti-Xbone that the game isn't going to get much of a chance, especially if it gets a bad first impression, which I also expect to happen.

So you agree with me.

I'm not holding my breath unless they do something like this year's cancer research drive again.

Edit: Listing BlazBlue as a certainty and not Injustice? LOL

I think BBCP will do better than people expect , given the drought of games, it being a good game, and EVO wishing for an anime game. Injustice is a near-lock, I almost put it as a lock, but I could see the game being abadoned as well.

The one thing that could hurt BBCP is its release date if it's the same time as AE2014.

As for Skullgirls- there's genuine love/respect for the game out there, and it's American developed. If any sort of tourney scene develops from the PC version and support, it will make it. It's going to get every benefit of the doubt next year. (you crazy Skullgirls folks are going to have to show up to tournies though, even though I absolutely suck at the game, I'll enter it at TFC and go 2 and out)

Riposte

alstein you didn't even mention smash. That's probably the biggest question since it could go either way.

What has the non-FGC/GAF reaction been to EVO this year?

HardRojo

Congratulations to Zack. Keeping a cool head on the big stage can't be easy, and making it to top 8 at EVO is no small accomplishment. However, let's take a look at whom he played in this tournament:

atx|Zack won against
Yaf-q8
Heavyd853
Wings
Gary with glasses
Noodleleopard
Lag | tt tako
Danke
Fgtv | TA Moons
Paradigm

Lost to
FS|EMP Flocker

While Zack seems like a talented player and has had a great showing this weekend, we here in the US have not seen him win against any of the S- or A-tier players detailed in TLE & Dahbomb's Marvel preview (except for Moons), and you said he lost to KaneBlueRiver. Congrats to him on making it to top 8, but in many ways he is still untested. That being said, I'd love to see him upset some players in finals tomorrow, and I look forward to seeing good things from Zack in the future.

Yeah, I'm aware he didn't run into any heavy hitters till further down his bracket when he faced Moons and then Flocker, Hopefully he'll have some time to play some top players from the US and as I said, this might open his eyes and encourage him to travel more often to clash against some of the best players the US and the world have to offer, these 2 weeks he's been in the US haven't been and won't be enough for that :/

hypernima

Banned
I see KI making it if MS decides to hook up the Illuminati with some Xbones so they dont have to go out and buy a bunch of $500 consoles and copies for each console

Not bout just that though, it's about if people personally buy em for practice and stuff.
I mean if you scene buys one even it's still limited practice.

alstein

alstein you didn't even mention smash. That's probably the biggest question since it could go either way.

What has the non-FGC/GAF reaction been to EVO this year?

Smash only got in due to the donation drive. If new Smash comes out next year (I don't know the release date)- that has a chance. That would be an oversight on my part. I often forget Smash exists until I see and smell it in person at a major. ^_^

Unlucky

Yeah, I'm aware he didn't run into any heavy hitters till further down his bracket when he faced Moons and then Flocker, Hopefully he'll have some time to play some top players from the US and as I said, this might open his eyes and encourage him to travel more often to clash against some of the best players the US and the world have to offer, these 2 weeks he's been in the US haven't been and won't be enough for that :/
I hope Zack enjoys his stay in the US and learns a lot to take back to Peru. American pride aside, high-caliber players coming from all over the world benefits the FGC as a whole.

He goes up against FChamp right away tomorrow, and I think I'd do a little dance of delight if Champ went down to a previously unknown player in his first finals match. So I'll be rooting for Zack. Good luck!

HardRojo

I hope Zack enjoys his stay in the US and learns a lot to take back to Peru. American pride aside, high-caliber players coming from all over the world benefits the FGC as a whole.

He goes up against FChamp right away tomorrow, and I think I'd do a little dance of delight if Champ went down to a previously unknown player in his first finals match. So I'll be rooting for Zack. Good luck!

Much appreciated man! Will definitely be rooting for him with all my might from here, I'm very sad I couldn't go with all the other guys this year but I'll definitely be there next year as a participant, spectator and translator :p Time to go and sleep now, KoF finals start in less than 6 hours!

I think KI will have a strong showing next year.

Xbones are selling like crazy on Amazon and I don't think any of the general populace gives a crap about DRM. They just want their halo.

TheChits

I watched evo yesterday with a group who doesn't normally watch any fgc events. They all seemed to enjoy it a lot, especially smash.

I think KI will have a strong showing next year.

Xbones are selling like crazy on Amazon and I don't think any of the general populace gives a crap about DRM. They just want their halo.

I'm assuming that some KI fans will get XBox Ones in spite of all the stuff that went down at E3, not just because they're apathetic about the DRM stuff. KI holds a lot of weight with people, and now that the game seems to be shaping up pretty well, hype for it will be through the roof.

BadWolf

Can't wait to see more of Woo today in KOF.

His play style felt so different and the way he mind eff'd Romance was really something, dat whisper in the ear lol.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only game I definitely see *not* coming back next year is MK9. It's pretty much run its course, and it basically has a replacement.

Can't really say anything one way or the other on the rest since I don't know enough about what's coming out in the next year and what existing games they would tend to replace.

I'd be shocked if there was any widespread appeal for KI among the tournament-going type, especially enough to justify the investment in next-gen systems across the board, but who knows.

I think this one is mostly dependent on Nintendo. I doubt EVO will jump the gun and put it in the line-up again without running it by them first next time, and who knows what they'd have to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom