• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm checking out the archive on WatchESPN and I think they fixed the audio balancing for the earlier matches on it.

Sayad

Have you guys seen this link yet? James Chen retweeted it and I took a look at it.

https://imgur.com/a/c0oqq
BryCYd5.png

:D

Awesome.

I know people criticized SF5's early focus on eSports and the competitive scene, and the game wasn't a huge initial sales hit with the casual audience during the first months.

But, the sacrifice is turning out to be worth the rough opening. Thanks to SF5 and EVO, more eyes than ever are on this genre. All those tweets about non-FGC casuals enjoying the SF5 finals are proof.

And, in the long run, ALL fighting games will enjoy this attention. Tekken, Guilty Gear, KOF...all these games benefitted from the added hype of this year's event.

No matter how much people want to hate on SF5, this weekend was an undeniable win for fighting games...in largest part BECAUSE of SF5.

Is there somewhere I can rewatch the SFV top 8?

Can't seem to find it on YouTube

http://twitch.tv/srkevo1
Archives should be there.

ESPN version should be here if you're in the U.S.:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2834908

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Those are great numbers for something that is niche and easily comparable to the other competitive gaming genre.

Neoxon

Awesome.

I know people criticized SF5's early focus on eSports and the competitive scene, and the game wasn't a huge initial sales hit with the casual audience during the first months.

But, the sacrifice is turning out to be worth the rough opening. Thanks to SF5 and EVO, more eyes than ever are on this genre. All those tweets about non-FGC casuals enjoying the SF5 finals are proof.

And, in the long run, ALL fighting games will enjoy this attention. Tekken, Guilty Gear, KOF...all these games benefitted from the added hype of this year's event.

No matter how much people want to hate on SF5, this weekend was an undeniable win for fighting games...in largest part BECAUSE of SF5.

http://twitch.tv/srkevo1
Archives should be there.

ESPN version should be here if you're in the U.S.:
http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/id/2834908
Agreed, & Bandai Namco was wise to ride the hype by sprinkling Tekken 7 ads throughout ESPN's presentation of EVO. And with Urien looking to be out in August, Capcom could easily get a "Street Fighter V: Season 1" disc out there to capitalize on the new-found exposure.
...unless they decide to whip up a character like Decapre during the down-time between Urien's release & the end of the Capcom Cup who wouldn't be hard to finish.

Sayad

I think even CSGO or rocket league can be hard to follow for casuals. Watching fps deathmatches I think is not very interesting for casual viewers. Plus I think another reason FGC is a big hit is because of the players themselves. We have the most charismatic players in all of Esports.
Rocket League could be easy to follow if they figure out a proper spectator view camera, it's just indoor soccer with cars. But from what I've seen, casters make it hard to follow matches even for those familiar with the game.

mbpm1

What I'm thinking is that even though this showing was a huge success, I'm not sure what they could follow it up with. There won't always be an LI Joe story or a tournament and venue this big.

Neoxon

What I'm thinking is that even though this showing was a huge success, I'm not sure what they could follow it up with. There won't always be an LI Joe story or a tournament and venue this big.
Not until Urien drops, at least. And Capcom Cup is the next big event for Street Fighter V that ESPN could air.

MK and KI are amazing to watch compared to SF V. I think SF would have been OK if there wasn't so much Nash and Chun Li
I enjoy playing and watching all 3 games. Unless it's being played by top 8 best pro players, MK can get dull af.
KI grand finals was actually fun to watch this Evo, maybe due to being fully awake this time. Looking forward to checking out Eyedol.
SFV semi finals were too hype and not aired, unfortunately. One of my favorite matches was Tokido vs. Daigo. Didn't even get to see Snake Eyez get eliminated :(
Saturday was, in some ways, more entertaining than Sunday :O

There was definitely more than just Nash and Chun for SFV. They just didn't make top 8 :p

Anyone have a link to ESPN top 8 archive? Wanna hear Mike and Seth's commentary.
+1

I hope KFXIV replaces Pokken.

Ditto. It's been too long since that MadKOF vs. Bala grand finals. Easily one of the best Evo matches ever, imo.

Anth0ny

Top 8 Peak Views #Evo2016

#T7 35.5k
#Smash4 71.1k
#Pokken 23.9k
#KI 25.5k

#MKXL 104.5k
#UMvC3 121.8k
#GGXrd 148.8k
#Melee 232.9k
#SFV 414k

anyone have last year's numbers? I want to test it against the "putting a game on Sunday helps grow the community!" theory

cj_iwakura

#T7 35.5k
#Smash4 71.1k
#Pokken 23.9k
#KI 25.5k

#MKXL 104.5k
#UMvC3 121.8k
#GGXrd 148.8k
#Melee 232.9k
#SFV 414k

anyone have last year's numbers? I want to test it against the "putting a game on Sunday helps grow the community!" theory

Catherine hit 2k!

Busaiku

#T7 35.5k
#Smash4 71.1k
#Pokken 23.9k
#KI 25.5k

#MKXL 104.5k
#UMvC3 121.8k
#GGXrd 148.8k
#Melee 232.9k
#SFV 414k

Smash Wii U (Saturday)
3:00 - 5:30
97,145 viewers at peak

Tekken 7 (Saturday)
6:00 - 8:45
54,344 viewers at peak

Killer Instinct (Saturday)
9:15 - 11:05
66,187 viewers at peak

Guilty Gear Xrd (Sunday)
12:15 - 2:00
121,314 viewers at peak

Mortal Kombat X (Sunday)
2:20 - 3:50
188,350 viewers at peak

Super Smash Bros Melee (Sunday)
4:15 - 6:35
206,839 viewers at peak (+68,285 from 2014)

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Sunday)
7:00 - 9:10
165,003 viewers at peak (+15,533 from 2014)

Ultra Street Fighter IV (Sunday)
9:45 - 12:45
228,776 viewers at peak (+98,102 from 2014)
Everything but Guilty Gear and Melee was down.
Guilty Gear was down for the timeslot though, but Mortal Kombat was lower than Guilty Gear last year.

MrCarter

#T7 35.5k
#Smash4 71.1k
#Pokken 23.9k
#KI 25.5k

#MKXL 104.5k
#UMvC3 121.8k
#GGXrd 148.8k
#Melee 232.9k
#SFV 414k

Good numbers, but I thought Tekken 7 would be higher? Strange.

Good numbers, but I thought Tekken 7 would be higher? Strange.

It was pretty early iirc. Happened before I woke up and I was in the UK, bit I did stay up for sfv so I guess it just doesn't have the fan basemail that's that devoted yet. Hopefully it'll do a lot better next year with a better time slot

Pics_nao

Have you guys seen this link yet? James Chen retweeted it and I took a look at it.

It's a collection of tweets by random people who tuned in to watch SFV on ESPN2. Some seem surprised or even a bit upset, but it's mostly positive. From people who know nothing about SF to people who probably played it at some point a long time ago. I know some where out there, their were probably also a ton of tweets about how whack it was but seeing all the love really warms my heart.

I guess I'm still technically a 09'er since I didn't really learn how to play these games and start paying attention to the community until then. But I've been in love with this franchise since I first played it on a SNES back in 1992. Even through all the years when I had no clue about the tournament scene or how to play the games SF was still my favorite video game franchise of all time. I hope the ESPN2 broadcast was considered a success and things just continue getting bigger and bigger.

Man, reading all of that just put a big old stupid grin on my face. All the love is great

Asd202

#T7 35.5k
#Smash4 71.1k
#Pokken 23.9k
#KI 25.5k

#MKXL 104.5k
#UMvC3 121.8k
#GGXrd 148.8k
#Melee 232.9k
#SFV 414k

One thing to consider is that EU is barely watching Melee and almost nobody would stay up for SFV. It's too late and people have to get up for work/school the next day.

mbpm1

I can see why they muted the crowd mics on the official twitch stream now.

There is a lot of background noise in the venue.

I think the balance is out of whack, this was recorded on the live broadcast and the first half of matches seems overpowered by the crowd.

ESPN did in fact fix the audio levels for the people watching it online later with watchESPN bc it didn't sound like this when I watched it later at home, but yeah, people who saw it on tv are going to get a lot of hype but not so much commentary in bits.

Neoxon

The EVO guys heard our complaints about Smash 4's treatment at EVO 2016.

Tony Cannon (Ponder) said:
Yo

Hey guys. I’m Tony Cannon (Ponder), the Tournament Director and one of the founders of Evo. Thanks for supporting Evo in record numbers again this year. I know the experience was disappointing for many of you; especially those of you who made it to top-32.
Our goal at Evo is to hold a great tournament for the community. I’ve seen reports that Evo is trying to exploit the community for profit, or skate by with just a “good enough” tournament. Over the next year, we aim to prove to you that this is absolutely not the case. We want everyone to leave the experience thinking “wow, that was an awesome event! I can’t wait to come next year!!”. Obviously we did not achieve that this year.
But to hold a great Smash 4 event, we need your guys constructive feedback and cooperation. I’ve read through all the feedback online and wanted to respond to your specific pain points, explain how they happened, and let you know how we’d like to improve upon them for next year. In no particular order, here’s what I’m hearing from you about your biggest pain points. Please let me know if I’ve missed any; I’d be happy to respond to those, too.

The Convention Center Felt Cramped on Friday and Saturday

There was definitely a lack of space in the convention center at peak hours, which caught us by surprise. We believe we had booked more than enough room for the event. Evo 2015 was held in two ballrooms at the Bally’s Event Center totaling 79,251 sq ft. We were greatly concerned that this would not be enough space for 2016. Evo attendance has historically grown by about 25% year-over-year. We also knew this would be the first year for Street Fighter V, which would certainly spur additional growth.
Last last year we cancelled the contract with the planned venue and booked the 150,000 sq ft venue in the Las Vegas Convention Center, nearly double the space from 2015. Unfortunately, the event grew faster than our most aggressive estimates. Registrations for the Street Fighter tournament grew by over 100% year over year, and Pokken (the first time at Evo) interest was much more than we anticipated. Pokken also required twice as much space as other games, further exasperating the space problem. Finally, over 4x as many people bought day-passes to Evo this year compared to 2015, greatly increasing the number of people actually in the event hall at a time.
The result was that the event felt cramped in spite of our best efforts. We are currently investigating ways to fix this for 2017, including booking a single hall larger than 150,000 sq ft, booking additional tournament halls as we did in 2015, or making better use of the space we have.

Viewing Experience in the Convention Center was Bad

Smash 4 did not have a projector for a majority of the tournament. This caused a lot of crowding around the tournament stations which made the Smash area feel more cramped than any other tournament. Even when Smash 4 was on the main screen, there was not enough seating for everyone who wanted to watch, resulting in crowding of the isles leading between the two tournament sections.
Many of these problems are caused by the aforementioned space problems, but even in a space-constrained environment we need to do better. For example, we could have setup a dedicated stream-viewing room for spectators in an adjacent hall or conference room.
One thing we certainly need to do for 2017 is to ensure all tournaments have a big-screen somewhere (ideally in the tournament hall, but perhaps in another room if we’re space constrained) where they can view their tournament. This is one of my highest priority issues to fix for next year. Everyone at the event should be able to watch their game of choice without having to restore to looking at a game station monitor.
Finally, games which had their finals in the Las Vegas Convention Center did not have the level of in-house production they had come to expect from Evo. The big screen was much smaller and the main stage much more modest. The seating area for the main stage was also smaller than what we had in 2015. Most of these changes were the result of increased complexity on the production side. This was the first year where Evo produced the Sunday finals in an arena setting and a live television broadcast, simultaneously. Rather than stretching ourselves too thin trying to do everything (and potentially failing at everything), we elected to focus on Sunday to make sure we did a good job there. In hindsight, that was a mistake. Sunday went off well, but people’s Friday and Saturday experiences were too greatly compromised. Next year, we’re going to increase the staff and budget for Tournament Hall production to ensure the level of spectacle is what you have come to expect from Evo.

Friday Night Pools Ran Late While Stations Were Available for Friendlies

This should not have happened. The plan going into Friday night was to use every available station to accelerate Round 2 brackets to finish the tournament as soon as possible. Friendlies were to be allowed only on stations which were not being used for the tournament. I’ve spoken with Bear (the head TO for Smash 4) and have confirmed that they executed that plan to the best of their ability, and that he was personally unplugged joysticks of players who refused to stop their friendly match to make room for a tournament one.
In Bear’s opinion, the biggest reason we ran late was because of poor scheduling and delays caused by paper brackets. Round 2 matches were scheduled to start at 8:00 PM, immediately after the 6:00 PM Round 1 matches. This meant when Round 1 brackets ran late, a significant number of Round 2 brackets were delayed as well. The manual process by which we moved qualifiers from Round 1 into Round 2 delayed the start of some Round 2 brackets even further.
We certainly need to do a better job of scheduling. In hindsight, it would have been much better to start Round 2 on Saturday morning instead of Friday night. This would have given people who finished Round 1 pools early the rest of the day off and given the TOs time to propagate changes from Round 1 to Round 2 overnight. If Round 2 had started Saturday morning instead of Friday night, I don’t think we would have had this problem.
In addition, we need to switch from paper brackets to a fully-online system to eliminate the delay in propagating players from one round to the next. We plan to do this for next year.

The Schedule for Event Competitors was Oppressive

Many Mortal Kombat XL and Smash 4 players were required to play their last match late into the night one day followed by an 8:00 am match the next. That’s just not acceptable and was not our intent. Had everything gone according to plan, both MK XL and Smash 4 would have finished by 10:00 PM and players would have had 10 hours of between matches.
Our biggest mistake here is that we need to do a better job of scheduling to make sure competitors have an ample opportunity to rest even if things do not go according to plan. Even if our schedule is running late, players should have at least 12 hours after they finish their games on one day before we ask them to play again the next. This is something we will absolutely fix for next year.

The Bracket Seeding System Was Limited and Cumbersome

This year we asked each fighting game community to provide the top 32 seeds for their tournament. Once the initial brackets were created, we put them up for public review and asked representatives from the community for feedback to make them better.
By putting the brackets up for review, the community caught an egregious bug in our software which resulted in double jeopardy in late rounds when creating brackets for tournaments featuring between 2048 and 4095 players. This affected both Smash 4 and Melee, and we were able to fix the bug and re-create the brackets before the tournament started.
We also asked for a “swap-list”, which was used to swap two players in the bracket to provide better structure (e.g. fixing seeding problems). The initial swap-list was limited to 32 players, but we continued to accept player swaps throughout the preview week before brackets were locked down. In total, we processed 97 swaps for the Smash 4 tournament, including swaps to realign the seeds after the Round 2 brackets were fixed.
By processing all 97 swaps volunteered by the community, we collectively were able to seed the bracket much deeper than we had originally requested and fix some issues which happened after seeding; including swapping Ally into a seeded position after we accidentally forgot to include him, and swapping PPMD out when we learned he wasn’t going to attend.
Overall, the system we had in place had good results. After all the swaps are processed and the Round 2 issue were fixed, Bear and the community leaders he worked with were satisfied with the structure of the brackets.
The biggest problem here is that the swap system is painful. It’s very, very painful, and the brackets don’t actually look “good” until the very end of it. This makes it difficult for players to know exactly who their opponents will be, and for community to generate pre-EVO content and hype (e.g. top 32 fantasy brackets). Next year we want to revamp the system to take a much longer list of seeded players and streamline the bracket tweaking process so that the brackets look good from the very beginning.

Brackets Take Too Long to Update Online

Evo uses paper brackets to run the event (if you want to know why, scroll down). This means the online brackets are updated much much later than systems like smash.gg or challonge.com. This is bad for players who are scouting their next matchup and bad for people who are following the event; especially those watching on stream. We are planning an overhaul of our bracket making software to address some of the other issues (e.g. seeding beyond top 32). Adding realtime bracket updates is something we want to put in as well.

Best of 3 Is Meh. Best of 5 Would be Better. So would Sunday Finals.

There are 8 other games running at Evo besides Smash 4, and all of them need to make compromises to finish within the allotted time. We’d like to work with you to figure out what the best compromises are. For example, we want all Finals brackets to fit into about 2 hours. Smash 4 finals are currently bo3 until Winner’s finals to fit that schedule. Is that the correct solution? What about changing the stock/timer rules to make matches run faster? What about going to 3/5 and running some losers’ bracket matches off stage (but on a secondary screen)? What about only doing top 6 instead of top 8? You probably hate all those ideas. What are some ideas you don’t hate which can help us have a good event and still meet our time constraints? We want to reach the best format for you guys that fits the constraints of the event. To do so, we need to establish a stronger line of communication between the Evo tournament staff and the Smash community leaders much farther in advance of the tournament.

Outro

Once again, thanks for coming out to Evo again. Hopefully this post has given you a greater understanding of how we want to make things better for next year. We’d like your help in making sure we do the right things for your community. Quite honestly, Tom, Joey and I are not Smash players, which makes it impossible for us to know how best to cater to your event without a lot of input from you. Until now, a lot of that communication has happened on social media (Reddit, Twitter, etc.) and has not been effective. I’d like to find a better channel for us to work on to make sure we deliver an event you’ll be happy with. We can do this in whatever forum you’re most comfortable with (Facebook, Discord, etc.), just let me know. I’m looking forward to making Evo 2017 better for you guys.

Thanks,
Tony Cannon (Ponder) Evolution Tournament Director

Addendum: About those paper brackets

The Evo tournament software was originally written 15 years ago to automate the process of making paper brackets to run the event. In that era, running brackets on paper was the only way to run an event of Evo’s scale; smart-phones didn’t exist, and even if they did internet in a hotel ballroom was extremely spotty.
As technology advanced (say, in 2008), we continued to use paper brackets. They were reliable, flexible, and we were absolutely, 100% sure we could finish the event with them. Hotel internet was spotty, and the risk of a loss of internet causing the tournament to grind to a complete halt was too great.
Around 2012, smart phones were prevalent enough and hotel internet reliable enough that it seemed possible to run a tournament online with a smartphone per bracket, but by now the tournament software was over 10 years old. Paper brackets were still working great, and the value from shifting to all online just wasn’t there.
Fast-forwarding to 2016, Evo is finally at a scale where paper brackets are no longer a viable way to run the tournament. There are now hundreds of thousands of people potentially interested in following the tournament online in real-time and the manual process of moving players between rounds is starting to become a bottleneck. Changing Evo to use online brackets first (falling back to paper brackets only in extreme emergencies) is one of my biggest priorities for 2017.

jett

D-Member
I'm gonna assume Pokken ain't making a comeback based on that writeup, hah. Easy to guess that KOF14 will take its place.

And it has never ceased to amaze me that they still use paper brackets. At least they're modernizing their shit for 2017.

Neoxon

I'm gonna assume Pokken ain't making a comeback based on that writeup, hah. Easy to guess that KOF14 will take its place.

And it has never ceased to amaze me that they still use paper brackets. At least they're modernizing their shit for 2017.
That is, unless TPC pushes the latest update hard & has an NX port made. But even then, I'm not so confident about Pokkén returning. As for next year's line-up, I'm gonna guess that it'll be...
  • Street Fighter V
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Nintendo NX (or whatever the final name of the platform is)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Tekken 7
  • Injustice 2
  • The King of Fighters XIV
  • BlazBlue: Central Fiction
  • Either Killer Instinct or Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR-

Dahbomb

It's very doubtful that both Blazblue AND GGXrd will be at EVO. I think one of them will get the cut.

Marvel 3 may get the cut too unless tournament presence at majors is strong this year.

Every year they should've cut KI as it had the least entrance but they never really do because of whatever reason. Even though it should probably be cut, it might not be.

Revelator had more viewers this year than Xrd had last year. And BlazBlue isn't intended to be a replacement for Xrd like SFV was with SF4, so I think it'd be hard to cut it. Pokken and KI seemed to draw the least amount of interest as far as viewers go, so they'd be the main two candidates to drop.

Neoxon

There are two things I noticed when thinking about the possibility of Smash 4 on Sunday.
  • On the positive side, we'd have better exposure as a competitive game. On top of that, it would allow us to have more flexibility in terms of how the overall tournament for Smash 4 is scheduled. And while granted, we probably won't get televised (possibly due to a lack of support from Nintendo, which I hope changes if the NX port happens), we'll at least get the big stage.
  • On the flip side, having 2 Smash games on Sunday may piss off a good number of the traditional fighting game players. And while you could move Melee to Saturday, you'll just end up with about as many pissed-off Smashers (as well as a cramped schedule for Melee like what happened to Smash 4 this year). Also, what would Smash 4 replace? The most common answer would be UMvC3, but Namco may push for Tekken 7 to take that slot. The only other candidate would be Guilty Gear Xrd (or BlazBlue if that replaces Xrd, next year), but I'm not sure if the anime fighting game community would take kindly to that.
So while I would love for Smash 4 to get a Sunday Top 8, I'd be willing to compromise with Smash 4 Top 8 being scheduled for Saturday night. This would likely be the best course of action in terms of keeping both sides happy.

As for the possibility of EVO switching Smash 4 to the NX (with the rumors of a port for Smash 4 being out there, one of which is gaining some accuracy thanks to the same source leaking RE7), Ponder had this to say...
Tony Cannon (Ponder) said:
It's hard to reason about a theoretical NX port, but whether we switched or not would largely be determined by what the community deems to be the most tournament-worthy version of the game.

kirblar

It's very doubtful that both Blazblue AND GGXrd will be at EVO. I think one of them will get the cut.

Marvel 3 may get the cut too unless tournament presence at majors is strong this year.

Every year they should've cut KI as it had the least entrance but they never really do because of whatever reason. Even though it should probably be cut, it might not be.
ANIMEVO's gonna end up w/ all 3 ArcSys games anyway. They can just let GG stay in the US.

Marvel will stay, KI will stay. There are good reasons for both.

Just swap Injustice for MKX and KOF for Pokken.

Neoxon

ANIMEVO's gonna end up w/ all 3 ArcSys games anyway. They can just let GG stay in the US.

Marvel will stay, KI will stay. There are good reasons for both.

Just swap Injustice for MKX and KOF for Pokken.
Honestly, I could see EVO going with BlazBlue in the States since it's the new hotness. But Guilty Gear is usually played more in America of the anime games (or at least from what I've seen in my community & from what was mentioned to me in conversations after visiting other parts of the States).

KI staying wouldn't surprise me, especially if Microsoft keeps contributing to the money pot (plus the Definitive Edition may bring in some new players). As for Marvel, at this point, the only thing that could kill UMvC3 would be MvC4 (& that's likely not happening for a while).

kirblar

Honestly, I could see EVO going with BlazBlue in the States since it's the new hotness. But Guilty Gear is usually played more in America of the anime games (or at least from what I've seen in my community & from what was mentioned to me in conversations after visiting other parts of the States).

KI staying wouldn't surprise me, especially if Microsoft keeps contributing to the money pot (plus the Definitive Edition may bring in some new players). As for Marvel, at this point, the only thing that could kill UMvC3 would be MvC4 (& that's likely not happening for a while).
With Marvel, we know a second PS4 era FG is inevitable, and it's not going to be DS, and another VS title of some sort is a good guess. MvC3 is holding the seat warm.

Neoxon

Why is it inevitable?
He has a point, we'll probably see another Vs. game from Capcom at some point in the near future for the PS4. The question is if it'll be MvC4 or something else entirely? And while Marvel seems to be open to the idea, Capcom's "playing things too safe for their own good" mentality (in fear of backsliding on their financial situation) may hold MvC4 back from happening anytime soon.

Either way, MvC4 now is more likely than MvC3 was before it was revealed, so there's hope. To quote kirblar...
MvC3 is holding the seat warm.

kirblar

Why is it inevitable?
Matt whatshisface at Capcom (might be wrong name) had a really smiley reaction a year ago when asked to clarify on PS4 exec specifically stating it's the home of Capcom FGs (and not specifically Street Fighter)

Capcom PT recently had a slight rebrand in that direction in the past week or so as well - a second game is imminent.

Top Bottom