• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

Neoxon

They bust out gamecubes and CRT's for Melee, why would you think they'd have trouble getting WiiU's?
To be fair, the Wii U was a mega-bomba compared to the GameCube. I'm not surprised that Nintendo's trying to save Smash 4 from the sinking ship known as the Wii U.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if The Pokémon Company pushes for an NX port of Pokkén Tournament to keep the game alive for longer.

Came to ask this as well.

It kind of rubs me the wrong way for a self-proclaimed community tournament with strong international focus to make it pretty much impossible for European fans to watch the finals with their favorite commentators due to a deal with an American broadcaster. Nothing against James Chen but nobody beats Mike "Bot beater" Ross and Seth "food poisoning" Killian for me and I missed their voices.
!

If not for the broadcast partner, Mike Ross wouldn't have been doing top 8 anyway, so, you weren't getting him either way. Mike never does EVO top 8, or any top 8s really, but in this case was clearly chosen as a strong charismatic personality that would play well on TV.

Nightii

Banned
So you need 2x stations to play one game? Eh, seems like a lot of hassle if that's the case.
There is one console multiplayer, but do to the way the game handles camera angles it ends up suboptimal, as it cuts the framerate in half, and forces one player to play amd watch with the gamepad.

I can only hope that a sequel that has consoles in mind removes this issue.

Namco moneyhats will get it a Sunday spot next year.

So Pokken can take the friday spot then, I see no issue.

So what is the general opinion about Street Fighter final on ESPN from non-initied people ? Heard they were some "salt" but also some positives things

Revven

My bad then, I heard about online problems at EVO with the game. Must've been something else.

It was just the usual problems the game has with LAN. Sometimes it takes longer than usual to connect to the other player and other times the Wii U gives an error when searching. But both can be fixed in like a minute.

There was apparently one instance where several people spent 15 minutes trying to fix a setup that was constantly having errors for pools but the streams for Pokken never had this issue (other than the intermittent ones I talked about above, which didn't affect the game's time much at all).

Pokken is generally a good game to spectate but it didn't have a good top 8 because of the characters in it. Had there been a Shadow Mewtwo or Sceptile in it, its Top 8 would have immediately been better than what we got. Garchomp was cool but he got knocked out too early in the top 8 to be memorable and of course the top 3 matches were blech.

It was cool to see a character who hasn't won anything actually win something but, unfortunately, it happened to be a character that isn't really hype either. :/

Lulubop

They're going to have to make cuts, even if they expand to 4 days.

Marvel probably had the worst Top 8 of the weekend. A lot of 3-0's, including the GF reset match. That's really how cemented the game is right now. It's one touch = death, and there's very little chances for a comeback in that game right now. It makes for an uninteresting product.

KI is 100% down to whether or not Microsoft pays to keep it going. It does look like player numbers increased, BUT not enough to where I could say it could expand next year.

Guilty Gear...I dunno. I really don't. I simply look at it and think 'expendable' right now. MAYBE you keep it if they go to 4 days and you need 5-games for Saturday and Sunday, but I would not keep on Sunday if they do.

They're not going 4 days, it's just not happening. I will bet money GG will be at evo 2017 and Pokken will not.

mbpm1

So what is the general opinion about Street Fighter final on ESPN from non-initied people ? Heard they were some "salt" but also some positives things

It seemed like was 10% salt from non-initiated

35% salt from fgc people getting mad at nonexistent numbers of people getting salty about it

the rest neutral to positive

that said, grain of salt as to how true it is

Salex_

KOF's gonna replace Marvel or KI or GG. Pokken's probably not going anywhere.

They're going to have to make cuts, even if they expand to 4 days.

Marvel probably had the worst Top 8 of the weekend. A lot of 3-0's, including the GF reset match. That's really how cemented the game is right now. It's one touch = death, and there's very little chances for a comeback in that game right now. It makes for an uninteresting product.

KI is 100% down to whether or not Microsoft pays to keep it going. It does look like player numbers increased, BUT not enough to where I could say it could expand next year.

Guilty Gear...I dunno. I really don't. I simply look at it and think 'expendable' right now. MAYBE you keep it if they go to 4 days and you need 5-games for Saturday and Sunday, but I would not keep on Sunday if they do.
1 touch does not mean death in marvel (there's too many variables) and the comeback potentially is incredibly high. Sounds like you have some kind of bias against the game.

GG or BB will definitely be back as a Sunday game. The finals are always entertaining and people are always hyped for it. Both viewership and tournament numbers for GG were great. I don't know why you're so sure about Pokken returning.

Seyavesh

http://evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/pok_a405.html
50MPDQG.jpg

Lulubop

Chun mirror aside, SFV finals were fantastic. Even the Nash mirrors were nail bitters. That said, of course I would have preferred more character variety.

vg260

Chun mirror aside, SFV finals were fantastic. Even the Nash mirrors were nail bitters. That said, of course I would have preferred more character variety.

Yeah, I kinda wanted to see Ryu in there just because he would have been more recognizable people flipping channels.

NEO0MJ

I wonder how different SFV will be by next evo.

It should be quite different. Assuming DLC goes the same way next year, there could be as many as six new characters by the time EVO roles around. There's also going to be a big balance update after the Capcom Cup. They've said that they won't do any dramatic changes during the actual season unless something is broken so as to not throw off any techniques that people have come up with.

Smash 4, Melee (especially finals) and GG Top 8 were amazing.
MvC, MKX (except the finals) were mediocre imo though.

Watching Melee, I just realized I don't have an appreciation for high level smash play, probably because I only play it casually. Same with MvC.
But, GG and SFV rocked my socks, and I play them both a lot.
Maybe we just like what we play better?

shas'la

Been watching "I Got Next" again because of EVO and I can only recommend it. It features so many of today's prominent FGC personalities. LI Joe, Gootecks and Mike Ross are basically the main story, but there are also prominent appearances by Combofiend, James Chen, Justin Wong etc. It came out in 2009 when SF4 was pretty much blowing up.

Found a 720p version here for free:
https://archive.org/details/igotnext-shortcut

That's brilliant, also given the context of knowing how much a a massive deal "esports" have become in the 8 years since this.

Really good find.

EDIT: its so good seeing how all the personalities are there and how each of them have found their niche and are a success, i LOVE that.

KingBroly

Banned
Smash 4, Melee (especially finals) and GG Top 8 were amazing.
MvC, MKX (except the finals) were mediocre imo though.

MKX's ending was kinda...anti-climactic. You had all that tension, all that back-and-forth and whatnot and it ends 2-0 after Sonic switched to Alien.

I think if any 1 match deserved to be on ESPN yesterday it was 110% Armada-Hungrybox in Melee. Best Match of the weekend and it wasn't close. Hungrybox was a Miracle Man.

Top Bottom