• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

Ferulci

Watching Melee, I just realized I don't have an appreciation for high level smash play, probably because I only play it casually. Same with MvC.
But, GG and SFV rocked my socks, and I play them both a lot.
Maybe we just like what we play better?

For sure we are biased towards the games we love. That being said, I'm talking about the intensity, tension and overall storylines.
- Smash 4 diversity (8 different mains in the Top 8 !), end of Zero reign, rising of seemingly low-tier characters and much improved high level play.
- Melee Grand Finals that caused me at least 3 heart attacks. For this, you just need to know that the Rest attack might be the most high risk/high reward in the whole FGC.
- GG was awesome as well
- I cant speak for SF5 (European)

I love to play MKX and Mahvel, but I really thought that their Top 8 (save for few matches) were anti-climatic

MKX's ending was kinda...anti-climactic. You had all that tension, all that back-and-forth and whatnot and it ends 2-0 after Sonic switched to Alien.

I think if any 1 match deserved to be on ESPN yesterday it was 110% Armada-Hungrybox in Melee. Best Match of the weekend and it wasn't close. Hungrybox was a Miracle Man.

Same here, it might be the most intense Melee match I've ever saw.

SFV top 8 put me to sleep.

As someone who actually attended, I think it was hard to fall asleep with thousands of people going bat spit crazy every time Joe won a round. Like, don't ever let anyone tell you SF fans can't get hype. That place went bonkers when Joe was around. I hope the stream and the ESPN broadcast conveyed that.

And, all of Fuudo's matches were exciting simply because of Mika's naturally volatile style. People whine about her, but she's a necessary (beatable) evil. Adds spice.

Infiltration finally being introduced to a LOSER'S BRACKET for the first time this year...and then bringing it all the way back in some nail-biters with Fuudo...
I feel like the SF5 tourney had lots of intriguing stories...especially when you include the Friday and Saturday matches.

Sure, there were a lot of mirrors. But, there were also lots of really good matches. Nemo vs Go1 was awesome.

BTW, I think the "lack of character variety" thing is a little overstated. Top 16 in the hardest fighting game tournament of all time had a F.A.N.G and a Rashid in it. Top 24 had a Gief. Top 32 had 2 Giefs, 2 Vegas, and a Dhalsim.

That's a REALLY good sign for the future of this game's balance if the vanilla version is seeing such "low tier" characters showing up at such high placings.

Shadoken

There is no way anyone could say SFV top 8 was boring. One fight which was kinda anti hype was Yukadon and Infil the first match. Because Infil just dominated.

The second one in losers was amazing , Yukadon nearly eliminating the champ. And then Infil making that comeback against fuudo , 3-4 perfects in a row? Goddamn.

The Three Nash players just performed really well , there was plenty of variety in top 32. Those matches could have gone either way.

mbpm1

I know some people who found top 8 boring, but those are more non-SF FG people.

Personally, I think it's great that even with the Nash fest it was, you could truly see the difference in the three players, something I hadn't seen as much of yet in SFV.

KingBroly

Banned
There is no way anyone could say SFV top 8 was boring. One fight which was kinda anti hype was Yukadon and Infil the first match. Because Infil just dominated.

The second one in losers was amazing , Yukadon nearly eliminating the champ. And then Infil making that comeback against fuudo , 3-4 perfects in a row? Goddamn.

The Three Nash players just performed really well , there was plenty of variety in top 32. Those matches could have gone either way.

SF5 wasn't as good as USF4 from last year, which arguably, was the best Top 8 the game ever had. I don't think domination is really all that interesting in fighting games.

JayEH

Thought it was a good top 8 but the amount of mirror matches was disappointing. Everyone was pushed to their limits though which made things interesting. When have we ever seen infiltration work so hard for the win?

Mr. X

Top 8 was amazing
Infiltration is still way ahead of the other players which is nutty to think about. Yeah he got knocked to loser's but Yukadon was way closer than vs Fuudo GF.

Shadoken

SF5 wasn't as good as USF4 from last year, which arguably, was the best Top 8 the game ever had. I don't think domination is really all that interesting in fighting games.

Not when you are there watching it Live. When Infil was down in losers , it was a shock because the "Champ is going down". But then he clawed his way back up entirely on skill and downloaded fuudo. That was just amazing to watch.
That quadruple perfect was just freaking brilliant , it wasn't like how Mika does one mixup then perfects you. He kept getting consistent reads on exactly what Fuudo was going to do. And got 4 perfects.

In hindsight it might have seemed boring because "Oh look Infil won again" , but watching it live there was a ton of hype because he didnt just body everyone free. So many close matches and clutch comebacks.

Thought it was a good top 8 but the amount of mirror matches was disappointing. Everyone was pushed to their limits though which made things interesting. When have we ever seen infiltration work so hard for the win?

I know mirror matches are boring , but these players have just put so much effort. Like LIJoe totally deserved it , dude has been putting in the work since beta days and is like the nicest guy ever. His matches were insanely hype despite being a mirror. Yukadon is like the new guy who had something to prove and we got OG players like Nemo and Mov as well.

Overall I was very satisfied. It was not just a "usual suspects" top 8 apart from Infil and Fuudo. So the close matches were super hype.

Not when you are there watching it Live. When Infil was down in losers , it was a shock because the "Champ is going down". But then he clawed his way back up entirely on skill and downloaded fuudo. That was just amazing to watch.
That quadruple perfect was just freaking brilliant , it wasn't like how Mika does one mixup then perfects you. He kept getting consistent reads on exactly what Fuudo was going to do. And got 4 perfects.

In hindsight it might have seemed boring because "Oh look Infil won again" , but watching it live there was a ton of hype because he didnt just body everyone free. So many close matches and clutch comebacks.

I know mirror matches are boring , but these players have just put so much effort. Like LIJoe totally deserved it , dude has been putting in the work since beta days and is like the nicest guy ever. His matches were insanely hype despite being a mirror. Yukadon is like the new guy who had something to prove and we got OG players like Nemo and Mov as well.

Overall I was very satisfied. It was not just a "usual suspects" top 8 apart from Infil and Fuudo. So the close matches were super hype.

This guys gets it...

touche

mbpm1

watch espn doesn't work at my friends' place but it works at my place apparently

watching the sethross show now, this is crazy

Clawww

I think Nash worked out alright for a casual audience. His gameplay is pretty easy to follow. Not that someone like Ryu isn't, but I think even a casual viewer could appreciate the mika vs Nash matchup dynamic though

trixx

I think Smash 4 top 8s have been getting more interestinng that even melee so far this year. That latest patch did wonders for the game.

I'm real happy HBox won Melee. Missed SF5 cause i had work early this morning but I know it was great

KingBroly

Banned

I didn't think Infiltration would not win last night. Not once. IMO, right now, he's what Daigo was. Until he actually loses, and is eliminated, you don't think he'll do anything but win. That's just how good he is.

Zackat

Mike Ross put the curse on Fuudo. After that I knew it was over.

So what is the general opinion about Street Fighter final on ESPN from non-initied people ? Heard they were some "salt" but also some positives things

Way better than Heroes of the Storm did. That actually got some backlash.

I also wish people wouldn't go in so fucking hard on people expressing dismay at video games on their TV and instead try to be inclusive. Like Lirik callin some dude a salty fuccboi. Dude can do better than that.

I don't think Nash mirror matches are boring (or Shoto ones of course). There was a lot going on in those.

I find Chun ones can be (which is just my opinion of course), but I still respect it.

Is their a directory or some write up on all the sfv matches? I can't find video of some of my favorite players, and I'd like to at least know how they did.

Search here: http://evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/players.html
You can click on the name of the pool if they made it out.

And here's a list of all of them: http://evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/index.html

Thank you! Been asking for something like this for a while!

Huh, Haitani got knocked out by mago.

which one is that? lol

Sorry, on mobile copy pasting is hard.

"from rose player to rose player, believe me when I say I had the most genuine tone of concern when I asked louffy why he plays mika"

Slowdive

Banned
@daigothebeast
211cm...
Cnr_Z1_UAAEsjvE.jpg:large

I didn't think Infiltration would not win last night. Not once. IMO, right now, he's what Daigo was. Until he actually loses, and is eliminated, you don't think he'll do anything but win. That's just how good he is.

Infiltration already HAS lost. Multiple times.

He lost on SF Crash.

He lost in the China league events to Daigo.

He got BODIED by Tokido a few weeks ago at CEO.

He even lost to Fuudo last night to get sent to losers finals.

An Infil loss yesterday would have been very believable, even if he was the favorite.

I don't know if it was here, but I remember some people dismissing the Twitch 'cheers', like they wouldn't amount or anything, but there was some real money changing hands there. I know LI Joe made some bank.

Maybe this doesn't exist, but anyone have a summary of what every player made from cheers?

MrCarter

I don't know if it was here, but I remember some people dismissing the Twitch 'cheers', like they wouldn't amount or anything, but there was some real money changing hands there. I know LI Joe made some bank.

Maybe this doesn't exist, but anyone have a summary of what every player made from cheers?

If you don't mind me asking, what is this? How do they make bank exactly?

Tripon

If you don't mind me asking, what is this? How do they make bank exactly?
Stream monsters buy bits with real money. Stream monsters can then give bits to their favorite players, commentators, or anyone else at the event.

Twitch then checks later, And gives the portion of real money to people who was given bits.

Also, if you are currently running an unpartnered channel and you receive a large number of bits, that tells twitch that you should be partnered and get a sub button asap.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Did they actually disclose if the players themselves got the bits people cheered? I couldn't tell if that was the case or if twitch was trying to cash in on everything.

I thought the Evo finals were good.

Chris G winning was hyped. Made me so happy.

Seeing Sonicfox sweat--but still win--was exciting.

And watching SFV on espn was unreal. LI Joe beating Eita had me clapping. My only problem was the lack of character diversity. Can only take so much Nash and, to a lesser extent, Chun-li.

Anyone have a link or clip of the EVO 2016 outro/ending credits that highlight the various days. The official ones that is. I want to toss it into my classes and talk about it since its the last day before summer break here.

They really like games so they will be pretty excited to see a stadium for smash and what not.

mbpm1

Anyone have a link or clip of the EVO 2016 outro/ending credits that highlight the various days. The official ones that is. I want to toss it into my classes and talk about it since its the last day before summer break here.

They really like games so they will be pretty excited to see a stadium for smash and what not.

https://www.twitch.tv/srkevo1/v/78540050?t=14h24m14s is what played at the end of EVO

I don't know if they'll have others

Mike Ross put the curse on Fuudo. After that I knew it was over.

Way better than Heroes of the Storm did. That actually got some backlash.

I also wish people wouldn't go in so fucking hard on people expressing dismay at video games on their TV and instead try to be inclusive. Like Lirik callin some dude a salty fuccboi. Dude can do better than that.

I used to think video games were done that way by being kept off or mismanaged on TV.

We got YT and Twitch and stuff now so TV comes late begging for a piece of that pie once the pan's getting empty.

Acerac

Banned
Is there any way to watch the games that I missed? I had work throughout the weekend and wanted to know the best way to catch up.

*Edit*

Oh much of it is right above me. Keen.

Have you guys seen this link yet? James Chen retweeted it and I took a look at it.

https://imgur.com/a/c0oqq

It's a collection of tweets by random people who tuned in to watch SFV on ESPN2. Some seem surprised or even a bit upset, but it's mostly positive. From people who know nothing about SF to people who probably played it at some point a long time ago. I know some where out there, their were probably also a ton of tweets about how whack it was but seeing all the love really warms my heart.

I guess I'm still technically a 09'er since I didn't really learn how to play these games and start paying attention to the community until then. But I've been in love with this franchise since I first played it on a SNES back in 1992. Even through all the years when I had no clue about the tournament scene or how to play the games SF was still my favorite video game franchise of all time. I hope the ESPN2 broadcast was considered a success and things just continue getting bigger and bigger.

Have you guys seen this link yet? James Chen retweeted it and I took a look at it.

It's a collection of tweets by random people who tuned in to watch SFV on ESPN2. Some seem surprised or even a bit upset, but it's mostly positive. From people who know nothing about SF to people who probably played it at some point a long time ago. I know some where out there, their were probably also a ton of tweets about how whack it was but seeing all the love really warms my heart.

I guess I'm still technically a 09'er since I didn't really learn how to play these games and start paying attention to the community until then. But I've been in love with this franchise since I first played it on a SNES back in 1992. Even through all the years when I had no clue about the tournament scene or how to play the games or , SF was still my favorite video game franchise of all time. I hope the ESPN2 broadcast was considered a success and things just continue getting bigger and bigger.

It's down right hopeful. Maybe SF and fighting games in general are about blow up again?

I guess I'm still technically a 09'er since I didn't really learn how to play these games and start paying attention to the community until then. But I've been in love with this franchise since I first played it on a SNES back in 1992. Even through all the years when I had no clue about the tournament scene or how to play the games or , SF was still my favorite video game franchise of all time. I hope the ESPN2 broadcast was considered a success and things just continue getting bigger and bigger.

Very curious to see the ratings. I think in national TV level FGs can fare better with casual viewers than those MOBA games. Easy to understand and follow. Plus since its a 1v1 game viewers feel more in touch with the player they are rooting for. Eg; LI Joe. Even my dad who was watching with me last night(60 years old) was cheering for Joe. And he knows nothing about fighting games or video games. All he needed was to know which character was played by who and how the round was won. He liked it lol.

that was actually pretty cool

most people besides csgo and rocket league fanboys could admit that fighting games would have an easier time being on tv/mainstream so the reaction shouldn't be too surprising, but considering the hate every other game on tv has gotten it still is.

that was actually pretty cool

most people besides csgo and rocket league fanboys could admit that fighting games would have an easier time being on tv/mainstream so the reaction shouldn't be too surprising, but considering the hate every other game on tv has gotten it still is.

I think even CSGO or rocket league can be hard to follow for casuals. Watching fps deathmatches I think is not very interesting for casual viewers. Plus I think another reason FGC is a big hit is because of the players themselves. We have the most charismatic players in all of Esports.

I think even CSGO or rocket league can be hard to follow for casuals. Watching fps deathmatches I think is not very interesting for casual viewers. Plus I think another reason FGC is a big hit is because of the players themselves. We have the most charismatic players in all of Esports.

And some great commentators. Mike Ross selling fighting games to the mainstream.

Top Bottom