• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystic654

I recently got a i7 6700k for pretty much nothing under 100 dollars. Don't ask why I bought it when I just finished building my X99 Build less then 8 months ago. The X99 is my video editing PC.

Anyways I'm thinking of turning this build into a PC gaming PC at 4k or 1440p.

CPU: i7 6700k
Motherboard: Asus Gene VIII (mATX)
CPU Cooler: NZXT x61
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 (If I go with 4k) or AMD RX480 (If I got with 1440p)
Harddrive: Not sure how to handle this one. One big SSD or small SSD + SSHD
Case: Corsair Air 240 or Thermaltake Core V21
Ram: G-Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W

Any suggestions of Harddrives or things to change?

Finished my build. Just missing the video card which will get here on Tuesday. This thing is so fast it's insane.

What are the needed software I should have to keep an eye on my temps and things like that?

MSI afterburner is nice because you can log many things. I also use CPU-Z and RealTemp when I'm testing overclocks.

I recently got a i7 6700k for pretty much nothing under 100 dollars. Don't ask why I bought it when I just finished building my X99 Build less then 8 months ago. The X99 is my video editing PC.

I'd skip a (mechanical) HDD and just go SSD. I would probably pick up a 500gb drive and see how it pans out. SSDs are dropping in price still, so by the time you run out of space it might be cheap to add a second.

Or just get a 1TB SSD and be done with it, if you can find a good price. My system is HDD-free and I love it. :p

wilflare

I have the H110 and replaced the stock fans with Noctua NF-A14 PWMs. It's been great -- both in terms of noise and performance. NF-S12As are a thing if you need to stick with the H80 for size reasons, and in fact they push slightly more air than the A14s despite being both smaller and quieter, but they are about USD$20 each.

yea pretty much limited by my FT01
temps are pretty high on mine

MB temps are almost 40deg cel
CPU is averaging 50deg cel

but then I'm located near the equator so...

any good recommendations on a NAS setup? really need a good set-up to store photos etc

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i was going to build a whole new PC in the one go next year but it's my birthday soon and i'm tempted to treat myself to upgrading my PC a bit and re use some parts of my current build.

current:

Intel i5-4590 3,3
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600
MSI R9 290 4GB (w/~11% OC)
Gigabyte H97M-D3H mobo
Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova 750W G2
Windows 10 64-bit
NZXT H230 case

new build:

Intel i7-6700K 4,0 (Hyper 212X cooler)
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200

MSI Z170A-G43 Plus mobo
Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova 750W G2
Windows 10 64-bit (will need to buy a new license)
Fractal Design Define S case

total cost without new Windows license is = £538

i will be keeping my 290 for now. buying a new card would add too much to the price. not sure if i would get a 1070 or keep my 290 and wait for a 490. also not sure about getting a new windows license. my 8.1 license was OEM then i upgraded to 10 for free. on my microsoft account it has my motherboard listed so i guess i'd need a new license? i would just install windows 10 anyway and keep it deactivated until i can get a new license. there are some listings on ebay for £11 but i'm not sure that is legit. anywhere else i can get a cheap license?

Vipu

Banned

Get 1440p 144hz and gtx1080 imo

i was going to build a whole new PC in the one go next year but it's my birthday soon and i'm tempted to treat myself to upgrading my PC a bit and re use some parts of my current build.

current:

Intel i5-4590 3,3
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600
Gigabyte H97M-D3H mobo
Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova 750W G2
Windows 10 64-bit
NZXT H230 case

new build:

Intel i7-6700K 4,0 (Hyper 212X cooler)
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200

MSI Z170A-G43 Plus mobo
Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD
EVGA SuperNova 750W G2
Windows 10 64-bit (will need to buy a new license)
Fractal Design Define S case

total cost without new Windows license is = £538

i will be keeping my 290 for now. buying a new card would add too much to the price. not sure if i would get a 1070 or keep my 290 and wait for a 490. also not sure about getting a new windows license. my 8.1 license was OEM then i upgraded to 10 for free. on my microsoft account it has my motherboard listed so i guess i'd need a new license? i would just install windows 10 anyway and keep it deactivated until i can get a new license. there are some listings on ebay for £11 but i'm not sure that is legit. anywhere else i can get a cheap license?

Out of interest, which store(s) are you using?

Finished my build. Just missing the video card which will get here on Tuesday. This thing is so fast it's insane.

What are the needed software I should have to keep an eye on my temps and things like that?

CAM NZXT, HWInfo or HWMonitor. Or any of the GPU overclocking software like MSI Afterburner amd EVGA Precision.

wowzors

Built my new PC last night

Power Supply: 1000W Supernova G2
Storage: Samsung 950 256gb m2
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Motherboard: X99 Pro Gaming Carbon
CPU: I7-6800k
RAM: 32gb DDR4 Trident Z 3200
Cooler: H110I GTX
Case: Define R5 Blackout
GPU: Gigabytge 970 g1 (from old build, waiting for 1080TI)

The only issue i have is my RAM refuses to work in XMP and crashes before even booting so its running at 2133 right now, which is really pissing me off.

wilflare

The only issue i have is my RAM refuses to work in XMP and crashes before even booting so its running at 2133 right now, which is really pissing me off.

do the m2 SSDs provide a noticeable performance increase? (i.e. loading times, etc)?

curious to see that it's popping up more and more

Just set the ram timings/voltages manually. Also there may be a BIOS update that improves ram compatibility. Nice build btw.

Grief.exe

do the m2 SSDs provide a noticeable performance increase? (i.e. loading times, etc)?

curious to see that it's popping up more and more

Most likely not in normal applications since we've definitely hit diminishing returns, but they are a massive speed boost on paper.

wowzors

Just set the ram timings/voltages manually. Also there may be a BIOS update that improves ram compatibility. Nice build btw.

I updated the bios to 1.1 XMP is still a no go, I might try doing the timings manually

Edit: As for the M2, no noticeable gains that I have seen. I installed windows 10 on it and the boot times are about what my old PC with a Samsung 840 were.

Thraktor

My concern is her older processor. Despite people still viewing WOW as a 2005 game, they've upgraded their textures and animations over the years. WOW is more CPU bound than GPU bound. I'd hate for you or her to buy the new GPU and be disappointed by the CPU bottleneck of that older processor. In my opinion, any $100 GPU is pretty shitty. A decent entry level GPU is between $130-150, whether you go Green or Red team. You could try out a card like Nostalgic Windy posted above, and then see if that does it for her. If it doesn't, look to upgrading her PC/CPU.

A "decent entry level" GPU is all relative, though. Compared to the GT 610, the RX 460 is probably over ten times as powerful, and should be plenty for the kind of games she's playing. The i5 650 will probably need to be replaced at some point, but still should be enough for playable frame rates in WoW, and she'll need to replace the graphics card one way or the other, so she may as well start with that.

Zojirushi

Soooo, just grabbed a Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme off ebay. Should be a great card for the coming years until I switch to a 4K setup.

Also coming from a 7970 it should be a noticeable upgrade.

First time Team Green for me, don't let me down folks.

Iced

Getting a GTX 1070 in the mail soon. Current specs:

- i5 2500K overclocked to 4.5 Ghz
- EVGA GTX 780 SC
- Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866 ram
- Asus P8Z68-V PRO motherboard
- 144hz 1080p g-sync monitor

I have a preference toward higher frame rate in games since obtaining the 144hz monitor. Is my CPU going to be a bottleneck for me soon - or is it potentially already a bottleneck? What should I upgrade to, if so? I have no desire to go beyond 1080p, but higher frame rates are a must.

wowzors

- EVGA GTX 780 SC

I have a preference toward higher frame rate in games since obtaining the 144hz monitor. Is my CPU going to be a bottleneck for me soon - or is it potentially already a bottleneck? What should I upgrade to, if so? I have no desire to go beyond 1080p, but higher frame rates are a must.

I think cpu has more to do with min frames then max, you should be fine with the 2500k.

- EVGA GTX 780 SC

I'd just play for now and see how it goes. You'll probably be satisfied. Eventually (when you're no longer satisfied) upgrade your CPU.

You should be able to find some Digital Foundry videos that compare Sandy Bridge to Skylake (both at 4.4GHz, I think) with an OC'd Titan X. I think they use a 2600k for those videos. In any case, it's pretty comparable to your setup, so you can get some ideas about differences in performance due to CPU alone that way.

Hero

Hey guys, my old graphics card's fan have bit the dust and are overheating, right now I have a box fan pointed at it to prevent it from overheating but I want to get a new card.

What I have:

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
8GB RAM

Would it be better to get the GTX 1070 or one of the new AMD Radeon Rx460/470? I know the price difference but to me graphics aren't the most important thing but future-proofing is. I'm leaning to the 1070 but the prices seem to kind of crazy right now.

Hey guys, my old graphics card's fan have bit the dust and are overheating, right now I have a box fan pointed at it to prevent it from overheating but I want to get a new card.

What I have:

AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
8GB RAM

Would it be better to get the GTX 1070 or one of the new AMD Radeon Rx460/470? I know the price difference but to me graphics aren't the most important thing but future-proofing is. I'm leaning to the 1070 but the prices seem to kind of crazy right now.
Well the 460 and 470 are budget-ish cards, so you'd probably be thinking of the radeon 480. Whether you go for a 480 or 1070 depends on how much you want to spend. They'll both be good choices.

Make sure you overclock your CPU in either case, if you haven't already.

Can you fill out the survey in the OP? Then we'll know what exactly you're aiming for. You can definitely save a lot though with some tweaks.

alright let me give it a shot:

- Your Current Specs: Too old and crappy to list, i have a Radeon 5850 i believe
- Budget: Price Range + Country: Around $3,000 plus or minus a bit, country is Canada
- Main Use: 5. Gaming, Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, and General usage
- Monitor Resolution: 1080p, but I will be upgrading later. Not buying a new one now.
- List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want the most recent and upcoming games to run at 60 at least (and mod the hell out of the games i can), and yes Physx/ Supersampling/ Nvidia Effects are important to me.
- When will you build?: By October this year
- Will you be overclocking?: I have never done this. Should I?

Hold up, you're spending just north of $3k on your first PC build ever? I mean, more power to you but, what exactly are you looking to do with this build? JUST gaming, or other applications like video or music editing? Are you planning on overclocking? Because a lot of what you have picked is redundant or WAY overkill if you haven't done this before. We can build you something for much less that's just as good or better.

I'm fine with "overkill", as I want something long lasting and future proof as possible. What is redundant? Thank you for your help.

Try this. WAY faster SSD, better HDD, better mobo, cheaper cooler, case, and removed the extras. Get a couple 120mm fans to go in there too.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.98 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.45 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($257.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($195.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($415.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($150.94 @ shopRBC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($949.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $2793.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-25 00:02 EDT-0400

Could you tell me what makes the SSD so much faster? Thats a huge price difference. Same with the case. The current one comes with 5 fans already, isn't that enough?
Also whats the difference in the coolers?

Sorry for all the questions, really new to this but still want a beast PC.

Right now I'm at this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YZBccc

Comes in at a perfect spot for my budget, but if you guys recommend changes I'm definitely open to everything.

- Your Current Specs: Too old and crappy to list, i have a Radeon 5850 i believe
- Budget: Price Range + Country: Around $3,000 plus or minus a bit, country is Canada
- Monitor Resolution: 1080p, but I will be upgrading later. Not buying a new one now.
- List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I want the most recent and upcoming games to run at 60 at least (and mod the hell out of the games i can), and yes Physx/ Supersampling/ Nvidia Effects are important to me.

I'm fine with "overkill", as I want something long lasting and future proof as possible. What is redundant? Thank you for your help.

Could you tell me what makes the SSD so much faster? Thats a huge price difference. Same with the case. The current one comes with 5 fans already, isn't that enough?

Comes in at a perfect spot for my budget, but if you guys recommend changes I'm definitely open to everything.

So are you building around October or soon or..? If October, then there's basically no point in putting together a list now. Prices fluctuate too much, and there may be price cuts, driver improvements, etc.

If you're going to build soon-ish (say within the next few weeks) then a partlist makes sense.

This stuff is especially true in Canada, where many component prices are linked to the dollar.

Does anyone have any essential tips or advice for a first time SSD user? Are there any settings in Windows or the BIOS that I should turn on?

I'm getting one on Tuesday (Crucial BX100), and after doing some research, it seems that the most important thing I need to check is that AHCI is enabled in my BIOS before I install Windows 10 onto the drive.

I know most people here will tell me I'm crazy, but I'm going for a 120GB drive. I'm doing a complete system rebuild at the end of the year anyway, so I'll get a 500GB Samsung then as my primary, but for now I just wanted to see what the performance increase will be like, and the 120GB was on sale for a decent price.

LogicStep

Does anyone have any essential tips or advice for a first time SSD user? Are there any settings in Windows or the BIOS that I should turn on?

I'm getting one on Tuesday (Crucial BX100), and after doing some research, it seems that the most important thing I need to check is that AHCI is enabled in my BIOS before I install Windows 10 onto the drive.

I know most people here will tell me I'm crazy, but I'm going for a 120GB drive. I'm doing a complete system rebuild at the end of the year anyway, so I'll get a 500GB Samsung then as my primary, but for now I just wanted to see what the performance increase will be like, and the 120GB was on sale for a decent price.

Really? I just plugged mine in and installed win 10 on it and went with it.

vector824

You don't need liquid cooling unless you're OCing, which most people don't do. The Cooler Master cooler is a big heat-sink that uses air to keep your CPU cool. Its cheaper than what you picked, and you can still do a small OC if you want in the future.

If you have a limited budget, there's give and take. You can save $100 on a cooler and buy more fans, or more memory, or more HD space. The rule of thumb is if you don't need it for your application, don't spend money on it.

I suggested saving money on the case and cooler, and going for a better SSD, which in turn makes your computer faster, because you don't need it colder. You can buy a great case for under $100, and just add more fans, which cost around $20 a piece (for REALLY nice fans) and you're in the same boat as the $400 case. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a really smoking fast computer. For example, the M.2 SSD I suggested (and own personally) supports a higher data bandwidth, and faster read/write speeds so programs launch faster, file transfers are quicker, and it doesn't bottleneck your CPU or RAM. It costs more, but its way faster. So, don't spend $530 on a cooler and case you don't need, and buy an SSD that's better for what your application is.

If you're not looking to build in October, put together a final list a few days before you buy. Locking yourself into a specific idea of what you want now will limit you. Computer components change weekly. So do some research, read tech articles, Google up the components.

As an example: The CPU cooler you need, faster SSD, better MOBO that's more future proof, a cheaper case that's just as good (with two fans added) and I saved you $300. So now you can spend that on other components.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($409.99 @ Memory Express)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.45 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($257.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($195.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($234.98 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card ($949.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($159.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($40.00 @ shopRBC)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($25 @ Newegg Canada)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($25 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2580.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-26 15:28 EDT-0400

Keep in mind this will all change in a couple months. Hope that's helpful.

Iced

I'd just play for now and see how it goes. You'll probably be satisfied. Eventually (when you're no longer satisfied) upgrade your CPU.

You should be able to find some Digital Foundry videos that compare Sandy Bridge to Skylake (both at 4.4GHz, I think) with an OC'd Titan X. I think they use a 2600k for those videos. In any case, it's pretty comparable to your setup, so you can get some ideas about differences in performance due to CPU alone that way.

Would upgrading to an i7 3770K actually be worthwhile?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

This article claims it would be, but I've always been under the impression that hyperthreading does next to nothing for games. Is that changing lately? I have someone on here willing to sell me their old 3770K for a pretty decent price, but I want to make sure it's a worthwhile upgrade before I go through with it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

This article claims it would be, but I've always been under the impression that hyperthreading does next to nothing for games. Is that changing lately? I have someone on here willing to sell me their old 3770K for a pretty decent price, but I want to make sure it's a worthwhile upgrade before I go through with it.

If you are getting it at a decent price then sure, go for it. It is a worthwhile upgrade if you are going to overclock it and yes recent titles are taking advantage of HT more and more these days.

Totori Helmeow

Neo Member
Hey,

I'm looking to buy an IPS monitor to create a dual setup with my TN moniter. One for video/picture editing/viewing and my TN for gaming. So going off the first post, which recommends:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can anyone confirm if this is a safe choice? I have bad experiences with IPS monitors insane IPS glows/backlight bleeding (and headache causing) as well as being generally too expensive for me to do a risky buy. Is this good out of the box or do I need a color calibrator along with it?

Thanks in advance.
. 3.b

scitek

Would someone with a 6700k and a GTX 1080 who also happens to own Rise of the Tomb Raider do me a favor?

Can you run the benchmark at 1080p and 4k with the Very High preset and post the results? I'm curious what kind of upgrade I would be looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Grief.exe

Hey,

I'm looking to buy an IPS monitor to create a dual setup with my TN moniter. One for video/picture editing/viewing and my TN for gaming. So going off the first post, which recommends:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DWITHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Can anyone confirm if this is a safe choice? I have bad experiences with IPS monitors insane IPS glows/backlight bleeding (and headache causing) as well as being generally too expensive for me to do a risky buy. Is this good out of the box or do I need a color calibrator along with it?

Thanks in advance.
. 3.b

Why not grab an AHVA monitor and do both?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

The Stealth Fox

I have a i5-4690k. I'm considering getting a GTX 1080Ti in the future if it comes out (and especially if it comes with HBM2). Would my i5-4690k and 16 gb ddr3 ram be a huge bottleneck if I wanted to play 1080p 60 fps locked on ultra?

Not interested in VR.

Grief.exe

I have a i5-4690k. I'm considering getting a GTX 1080Ti in the future if it comes out (and especially if it comes with HBM2). Would my i5-4690k and 16 gb ddr3 ram be a huge bottleneck if I wanted to play 1080p 60 fps locked on ultra?

Not interested in VR.

1080p/60 on Ultra is basically 970/980 levels of performance FYI, 1080ti should be approaching 4K/60 with those settings.

The CPU/RAM won't bottleneck the card, though an i7 will get more frames in fully parraleized games.

wowzors

Does anyone in here have any experience with MSI boards? The Click Bios 5 is driving me nuts. I cant figure out how to get it to let me manually set my RAM timings everything is on Auto and i cant click to change them. I have the bios on advanced mode.

Board is a x99 Pro Gaming Carbon for reference.

Edit: I am an idiot, the + and - have to be hit on the numpad to work. Unfortunately did not fix anything even manually setting it.

Depends on how cheap you can get the 3770k for. It would be an improvement though, as games are taking advantage of hyperthreading quite a bit more than they used to.

If you'll be satisfied with the 3770k for a couple years and it's cheap enough, go for it. If you think you'll probably want a new CPU anyway, then just wait it out. Normally used 3770k prices are way too high to make sense, but in this case YMMV.

Hi gaf,

my 9 year old gaming comp just died so it is time for a complete upgrade. I do occasional gaming with not graphic intensive games (CS, Overwatch), mainly just use the PC for photo editing and browsing the web. My budget is pretty tight (around $800 CDN), I will only be reusing my existing Antec 900 case for the new build, not any other parts. This is what I have picked so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kB8HNN
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kB8HNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($250.45 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($38.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X 4GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $835.27 CDN
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-26 18:23 EDT-0400

How did I do gaf?

L-gon

Hello PC Gaffers,

My 4 1/2 year old 2500k build is getting along ok but I'm getting the itch to build and future-proof myself for the coming years. A machine that is quiet and capable of dealing with any and all games for the next few years is the primary goal.

Current Rig:
2500k w/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS P8Z68-V
8GB DDR3 (Mushkin)
XFX Double D Radeon HD 6950
Antec Truepower 750W Modular
Corsair Carbide 400R
Crucial 128GB M4 / Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 (1TB)
ASUS DVD Burner
HP ZR24w 1920x1200

Budget: $1200-1400 USD (not including potential monitor upgrade)
Uses: Gaming/emulation, media consumption, light photo/video editing, general PC stuff
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 for now (considering 32' screens, probably 1440p)
Games: A mixture of AAA and indie stuff. 60FPS acceptable, 144FPS sounds cool.
Reuse Parts: Will keep Hitachi drive for general storage. Probably forego optical drive. Leaning towards upgrading SSD as they are cheap and performance gains seem solid stepping up to 850 EVO. Likely getting new PSU due to 4 1/2 years of wear and tear. Not particularly happy with noise levels from case, so looking to address that.
Timeline: As soon as now - certainly within the next month.
Will you be overclocking?: Will dabble

Here's what I threw together:
i7-6700k w/CM Hyper 212 EVO
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 (non-founders?)
Fractal Define S
EVGA G2 650W
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Let me know what you think and what suggestions you may have for tweaking. Regarding the graphics card, am I correct to skip the founders editions in favor of a custom design that will be up-clocked and have more a efficient/quieter cooling solution?

Thanks in advance for the help/input!

LogicStep

So I noticed my motherboard has some leds and numbers that shine but I only see them during boot up. After that it's all dark. Any idea why that is? Any way to have them on at all times?

So I noticed my motherboard has some leds and numbers that shine but I only see them during boot up. After that it's all dark. Any idea why that is? Any way to have them on at all times?

Probably diagnostics, in case you have trouble booting. Check your mobo manual for details.

vector824

Hi gaf,

my 9 year old gaming comp just died so it is time for a complete upgrade. I do occasional gaming with not graphic intensive games (CS, Overwatch), mainly just use the PC for photo editing and browsing the web. My budget is pretty tight (around $800 CDN), I will only be reusing my existing Antec 900 case for the new build, not any other parts. This is what I have picked so far:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kB8HNN
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/kB8HNN/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($250.45 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($38.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 380X 4GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.88 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $835.27 CDN
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-26 18:23 EDT-0400

How did I do gaf?

Not bad! Nothing I would change. Wait until Wednesday when the new AMD 480 drops if you can. Unless that card is a placeholder.

Trigg

Banned
Hello PC Gaffers,

My 4 1/2 year old 2500k build is getting along ok but I'm getting the itch to build and future-proof myself for the coming years. A machine that is quiet and capable of dealing with any and all games for the next few years is the primary goal.

Current Rig:
2500k w/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
ASUS P8Z68-V
8GB DDR3 (Mushkin)
XFX Double D Radeon HD 6950
Antec Truepower 750W Modular
Corsair Carbide 400R
Crucial 128GB M4 / Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 (1TB)
ASUS DVD Burner
HP ZR24w 1920x1200

Uses: Gaming/emulation, media consumption, light photo/video editing, general PC stuff
Reuse Parts: Will keep Hitachi drive for general storage. Probably forego optical drive. Leaning towards upgrading SSD as they are cheap and performance gains seem solid stepping up to 850 EVO. Likely getting new PSU due to 4 1/2 years of wear and tear. Not particularly happy with noise levels from case, so looking to address that.

Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Fractal Define S
EVGA G2 650W
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Let me know what you think and what suggestions you may have for tweaking. Regarding the graphics card, am I correct to skip the founders editions in favor of a custom design that will be up-clocked and have more a efficient/quieter cooling solution?

Don't buy into the hype, if you are going to go to skylake you do not need a 6700k. A 6600k will be near identical in 99% of games. Save the ~$80 or so. If $80 is worth saving a couple minutes on your light video editing then so be it. But its not worth it for games.

God digital foundry has spread so much bad information around here.

I would buy the video card and use it in your current machine and test and see if the performance is acceptable. Overclock that 2500k, 4.6+ is easy.

vector824

Don't buy into the hype, if you are going to go to skylake you do not need a 6700k. A 6600k will be near identical in 99% of games. Save the ~$80 or so. If $80 is worth saving a couple minutes on your light video editing then so be it. But its not worth it for games.

God digital foundry has spread so much bad information around here.

I would buy the video card and use it in your current machine and test and see if the performance is acceptable. Overclock that 2500k, 4.6+ is easy.

All of this. I have a 6600k. If someone is adamant about it I'll include it in their build, otherwise the 5% gain isn't worth the cost.

Hello PC Gaffers,

Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Fractal Define S
EVGA G2 650W
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Here's how I would build mine. It's VERY close to what I am running. This includes the 950 Pro, so if you wanna save a bit drop to a 850 Pro.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.99 @ Directron)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($8.99 @ Directron)
Total: $1386.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-26 21:48 EDT-0400

Is there any downside to getting an ITX motherboard?

I've been looking at cases for my first new build in ages, and the understated Fractal Design S has been appealing to me, but then I checked out the dimensions and found that it would be even bigger than this NZXT Apollo monstrosity I've been rolling with for the past decade:

dO0QyHa.jpg

I'm no longer in my 20s and don't really want something that screams gamer. (E.g., I would buy an Acer Predator if it didn't look so dumb. I'm going with a Dell monitor instead.). The Define Nano S seems right up my alley, but I'm also sparing no expense on this thing and don't want to compromise. 1 SSD and 2x3.5 inch drives would be enough for me, and a spare PCI expansion slot would be nice.

Is there anything I might be giving up with the form factor? Is cooling or reliability going to be more of an issue? What does PC GAF think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom