• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Blade 2 |OT| Another Wind Blows Through A Heated Age

cj_iwakura

DRbEch2.png

Some bugs and glitches have been reported, but a lot have been fixed via patches. The Vita version is fine, as far as I know.

However, the translation is UNCHANGED and still very out of character.

• Release Date: 5/24/16 (US & EU)
  • Pricing: $14.99 / 13.49€
  • Platform: PlayStation®4, PlayStation®Vita (Cross-Buy & Cross Play)
  • Genre: Fighting Game
  • Developer: SNK & Code Mystics

Disclaimer: While I am by no means an expert on The Last Blade, it is my favorite SNK fighter, so I gathered all the relevant info I could find. Any updates or suggestions for content are fully welcome.

DCMtg2q.png

The Last Blade 2 was released in 1998, a sequel to 1997's The Last Blade, a tale of swordsmen and families torn apart by war in Bakumatsu-era Japan.

Combat in The Last Blade revolves around weaponry-based duels, though nearly every character has melee combat options as well.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lastblade/lastblade.htm

Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi ("Moonlight Swordsmen"), also known as The Last Blade everywhere outside of Japan (except in Korea, where it's called The Last Soldier), is one of SNK's lesser known fighting franchises. Never quite garnering the mass popularity of The King of Fighters, nor even the cult following of Samurai Shodown, The Last Blade is destined to wander eternally shrouded in obscurity. Perhaps it was the combined factors that it was released on a ridiculously expensive console and wasn't pushed into arcades in the same frequency that Samurai Shodown was, or maybe it was simply that people never gave it a chance. Whatever it was, it was an injustice, because Last Blade is quite possibly SNKs finest endeavor.

PS2jazW.png

Rather than being set between the Azuchi-Momoyama era (mid 1500s - early 1600s) and late Edo period (early 1600s - early 1800s) like most samurai fighting games, when the samurai were at their prime, The Last Blade takes place during the solemn Bakumatsu era at the end of the 19th century. Bakumatsu means End of the Bakufu Period, and as its name implies, it was the sometimes tragically viewed era when ancient Japanese culture and tradition were being discarded in favor of the Western lifestyle. The sword was replaced with the rifle, the kimono with the tuxedo. The samurai, who were the very essence of honor and discipline, weren't even allowed to carry their swords into towns, and many were exiled from civilization, forced to earn a living as bounty hunters and hired assassins.

The somber setting and fairly intriguing characters gives The Last Blade a very distinct feel. While some would simply call it a Samurai Shodown clone, it's almost nothing like SNK's first weapon fighting series, from both an aesthetic and physical standpoint. However, a few of the characters are similar to characters in Nobuhiro Watsuki's Rurouni Kenshin manga/anime - which makes sense, considering they both take place in the Bakumatsu era.

yo39liW.png

(Please view the HG101 article for full bios, or feel free to peruse the SRK Wiki for moveset details.)

portrait-kaedea.jpg
portrait-moriyaa.jpg
portrait-kagamia.jpg
portrait-okinaa.jpg
portrait-shigena.jpg
portrait-washizukaa.jpg

portrait-rekkaa.jpg
portrait-akaria.jpg
portrait-juzoa.jpg
portrait-amanoa.jpg
portrait-zantetsua.jpg
portrait-musashia.jpg

portrait-shikyoa.jpg
portrait-kojiroa.jpg
portrait-hibikia.jpg
portrait-setsunaa.jpg
portrait-yukia.jpg
portrait-kouryua.jpg

2qaiyuC.png

Because [The Last Blade] is a weapons-based fighting game, one would assume it plays something like Samurai Shodown, but it doesn't. Not in the slightest. In fact, it doesn't really play like any other 2D fighting game. It plays more similarly to Soul Calibur, with two attack buttons, a kick button, and a repel button. Blocking is still done traditionally, by holding the joystick backwards. The repel is far more effective than the block, though. It repels the enemy's attack and creates an opening for your own. But this requires true mastery to wield correctly.

Unlike Soul Calibur, however, The Last Blade focuses greatly on long chain combos. The buffer time makes doing combos a wonderful task for the experienced, as you can pretty much punch in the entire button string for a combo you know before you even get the second or third attack out and it'll flow through without a hitch. Almost every character has a great combo string, and you can pretty much pick any character in the roster you think looks cool and be a great player with them, because it's probably one of the most balanced fighting games ever.

Another great aspect of the fighting engine is the Sword Gauge. After selecting a character, you can choose from two different fighting styles; Power or Speed. Somewhat like the Slash and Bust system from Samurai Shodown III, the Power and Speed styles greatly change how a character works. With Power as your style, your character is very strong and can use a special super desperation move, but their potential for chain combos is very limited, usually losing pace after 3 or 4 hits. With Speed, your character is able to pull off 8, 9, 10 hit combos with very little effort, and they can also use their gauge to go into a custom combo mode similar to the X-Ism style from Street Fighter Alpha 3, but the strength of their attacks is toned down considerably.

LOzyo26.png

Please provide your GAF name, PSN name, and character(s) of choice(optional) for addition, ideally in this format:
Code:
sir_bumble_bee - sir_bumble_bee - Hibiki
LiveFromKyoto - Agent_Of_Atlas - Lee Rekka
dkeane - dkeane - Setsuna, Moriya, etc. 
hikarutilmitt - hikarutimitt - Hibiki / Yuki 
Elta - gunsolo - Hibiki
yella - oldyella - Mukuro, Setsuna, Moriya, Kojiroh Sanada 
Kuksune -Kurtsune89 
Shinriji - Shinriji - Yuki/Kagami
Nestunt - Nestunt (GMT+0)

vVMdfTd.png

lb2-6.png
lb2-8.png
lb2-9.png

lb2-1.png
lb2-12.png
lb2-3.png

4544046657_a5de0ac834.jpg

setsuna-cool-intro.gif

Opening Video (Original)
PSN Trailer

Themes

Art
26416435152_3906e7fd52_b.jpg

Our beloved The Last Blade Series artist Tonko recently illustrated a new visual of “LB2” for a recently held fighting game tournament here in Japan! In celebration of this upcoming Neo Geo classic headed to PlayStation Store, we hope you enjoy her cute and super-deformed style in this new hand-drawn visual.

Reviews (TBA)

FAQ

Will it be censored?
SNK already has confirmed that blood will be optional, so presumably, it can be played just like the original.

Should I play Last Blade 1 first?
Well, good luck finding it! (Er, never mind, apparently it's very cheap on digital formats.
there's an arcade perfect port on wii vc for $10. enjoy!
Shinriji said:
Last Blade have better balance, story, stages and soundtrack IMO. And a less bullshit final boss.

Will it use the old 'translation'?
Yes. Sadly, you can expect this and much more:
last-blade-weenies-e.png
lb-6.png

Thanks to
SNK for bringing this back, HG101 for details and media, and SCEA for supporting classic swordplay.

This story...has not yet ended.

Randomly stumbled upon this game as a kid in elementary school on an emulator. Fell in love instantly. Favorite backgrounds and characters. Washizuka was easily my favorite character. Total badass.

The wait has been killing me since the announcement back during PSX last year. Can't wait to dive into this, especially if the netcode is decent.

Code:
sir_bumble_bee - sir_bumble_bee - Hibiki

I recall one of the first posts that I wanted to do when I got accepted to GAF a few months back was to inquire about this port's release date. Been on my mind since PSX, and I remember when I finally got around to asking, no one had heard anything about a release date.

Pleasantly surprised to find it's gonna be tomorrow, hope it's a rock solid port and I hope the online multi fares well. :)

I only ever owned the Wii Virtual Console version of this game, but played it on and off on a friend's Dreamcast over the years, and I do love it a lot. Felt to me like the VC version didn't have any great control options (I never liked the Classic Controller, personally, and I didn't like my Tatsunoko v Capcom stick much).

Dem stages though. The Last Blade 2 was the peak of SNK's pixel artistry, and damn does it show. Outside of a select few stages in Garou, Last Blade probably has the prettiest backgrounds of any game in the genre.

Amedo310

Relevant Information: http://wiki.hardedge.org/index.php?title=The_Last_Blade_2

Wiki is in German, but it is still good.

Also, from the same post I made at SRK:

A long time ago, I copied some of the character intro guides and the advanced system information from the ggpo forums.
I saved only 8 characters sadly. A. Kaede, O. Kaede, Akira, Yuki, Kagami, Amano, Hibiki, and Juzoh.

The link is at SRK's last blade 2 discussion thread.

Code:
Amedo310 - Amedo310 - Setsuna, Kaede, Rekka Lee

Tizoc

Last blade 1 being better gameplay wise is something i dont believe
I suspect you can do infinites using speed mode esp. When in lb1 it was similar to exceed or custom combo mode from the sf games

Artdayne

I'm tempted to buy this. I love SNK and love Samurai Shodown, I've never played Last Blade though. It seems like something that would be up my alley.

Syril

This game's Japanese title is probably one of the longest titles in video games, "Romance of the Bakumatsu Second Act: Swordsman of the Moonlight ~On the Moon A Flower Blooming, A Petal Falling~"

Also, Hibiki's spare/kill aspect of her arcade mode was kind of unsettling.

Edgeward

Don't you mean a release date of 5-24-16? Not 03-24-16

Anyway, I always wanted to play this but never did. And I hope they get a good netcode. Would love to play people and learn this game.

Gren

Never heard of this, but seems right up my alley.
related to shodown in any way?

Nope. While it is another game that references Japanese history, it's a separate series (*possibly* linked to to the AOF/FF timelines) set in a different period.

Lee Rekka/Wong Fei-Hung is my boy in this. Odd that he was the only non-Japanese character in the game.

Ninja Edit: Shouldn't post historical stuff while drinking.

petran79

Banned
Does it also include the story mode voice acting from the Neo Geo CD version?
Along with a new translation, it would be the ultimate edition

terrier

I'm tempted to buy this. I love SNK and love Samurai Shodown, I've never played Last Blade though. It seems like something that would be up my alley.

i find it very different to Samsho. But it is a great game. And it is SNK art at its finest.

Tizoc

This will be based on the neo geo port
The goice acting from the cd ver likely wouldnt make it due to licensing or royalties

Piccoro

Great OT!
The last time I played this was in the nineties!

To think that the game is already installed on my PS4 and I'll only get to play it tomorrow... :(

Anyways:

Code:
Piccoro - PiccoroDaimaoh -

EDIT: If anyone wants to check out the first game, it's available on the Humble Store. 3.99, Windows, Mac, Linux, DRM-free.

Nice OT, OP

Looking forward to playing this.

For those in-need of a guide to help you out, you can check out the LB2 Wiki at DreamCancel.

Edit: Wow, never knew about that German guide. Thanks Amedo.

BadWolf

First time players should stick with Power mode for a while
It is easy to pick up and use

You make it sound like Power mode is a noob mode or something, it's viable at high level play as well. Picking the mode depends on your character and preference.

The recent big LB2 tournament in Japan had plenty of Power mode users.

FINALLY.

Thank you jesus for delivering the Last Blade to me in the most convenient way possible. One of the greatest fighting games of all time.

dkeane

Does this include EX mode? I have the AES version where you have to input a code to get EX.

Code:
dkeane - dkeane - Setsuna, Moriya, I generally jump around. Just a casual player

Top Bottom