• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I enjoy Dark Souls 3, but I'm burned out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
For me it was kind of the opposite. The level design was so good that I had to keep going. Overall I think Dark Souls 3 is the best game of the series.

For me it was kind of the opposite. The level design was so good that I had to keep going. Overall I think Dark Souls 3 is the best game of the series.

That's why the middle dips so hard for me. The flatter levels (Crucifixion Woods, Farron Keep, Smouldering Lake) are really mediocre compared to the more vertical ones (High Walls, Irythyll, Grand Archives). I really feel those mid-game doldrums on repeat plays.

I've only played Bloodborne, the Old hunters DLC and DS3, and I think I agree.

I absolutely had a lot of fun with BB and DS3, but I couldn't take another game in the same style any time soon.

sublimit

Banned
I did felt some fatigue with DS3 but that was due to all the fanservice and the blatant re-use of Bloodborne's assets.

I still love the gameplay very,very much though.

SuperSah

Banned
I played a bit of DS1, got frustrated and sold it. I was about 2-3 hours in - kinda embarrassing.

I just got a PS4 and picked up Souls 2 which I am fully committed to playing through.

I hope I don't burnout since I wanna play Bloodborne and DS3 afterwards.

How is DS2?

OP I only play the games for NG and I feel fatigued. I want them to do something new or at least take some time before the next one. Lord knows this doesn't deserve to go the way of assassins Creed

after having plat every soulsbourne, yeah I'm getting a little burned out.

Never fully done pvp until dks3 so that is slightly fun. Still hyped for the DLC cuz those are always the best part of the every soulsbourne games. I think taking a break such as playing the witcher expansion might refresh souls for me...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
after having plat every soulsbourne, yeah I'm getting a little burned out.

Yeah, same here.
I really hope whatever they do next is going to be quite different.

Encountering a mimic the first time was amazing (in Dark Souls 1 for me). This time? It's just routine. Most stuff felt like routine in DS3, there weren't many "Oh, I wonder what that...OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT" moments for me anymore.

ghibli99

I started Bloodborne in late March, finished it in late April. Started Demon's Souls right afterwards, and finished that in early May. I'm now about 15 hours into Dark Souls PTDE, and am just as into it as I was when Bloodborne first clicked. How I'll feel after this, Dark Souls II SOTFS, and Dark Souls III? I'll have to get back to you. :)

I know DS2 is the red-headed stepchild of the series, but I have a feeling that I'll really enjoy that one too. These games are just so much fun to play and explore. It's hard for me to see myself getting tired of them, but we'll see!

void666

Banned
I feel the same. And the fact that DS3 feels like "the best of " doesn't help.
That feeling of "been there, done that" is strong.

Griss

Dark Souls 3 just couldn't be as fresh as the Demon's Souls, or the original Dark Souls, or even Bloodborne with its entirely different take on the gameplay. They were travelling over well worn ground at this point, and there is certainly an 'I've seen this before' feeling to the game.

The fact that DSIII overcomes this to be a very special experience is evidence of just how polished and well-designed it was as an experience. It's my GOTY so far, I loved it to bits.

That said, I'd want a 2/3 year break before my next Souls game.

bati

I played a bit of DS1, got frustrated and sold it. I was about 2-3 hours in - kinda embarrassing.

I just got a PS4 and picked up Souls 2 which I am fully committed to playing through.

How is DS2?

DS2 is great but really, do yourself a favor and play it first, no skipping. I recently went back to it after binging on DS3 for weeks and I was pretty shocked at how different the movement felt.

As for the topic - it's the opposite for me, really. I find the game's controls so smooth and comfortable that it has become my go to game for when I want to relax and just zone out. I must've finished it 6 or 7 times now, with multiple characters. My favorite part is using finger while leveling to get some pvp going and shake things up. So good.

Gator86

Enjoyed it a lot, but I finished it and haven't thought about it once unprompted since it came out. I usually forget it even exists. The series hasn't grown the way it should have. You can look at stuff that was annoying or broken in DS1 and it's the same in DS3. Just more of the same to a degree that would be harshly criticized if Dark Souls wasn't on the front of the box.

KoopaTheCasual

I sort of get you OP, but this feeling ONLY set in during the final boss fight and subsequent set of endings.

Like holy shit it felt like they didn't care anymore when conceptualizing the final boss for this game. Like yea his moveset was pretty cool, but I didn't expect to fight any thing as boring as
generic Soul-man
, quite literally. As if they themselves got burnt out with the idea of the project in the home stretch.

Everything outside of that was really cool, and felt like a straight up sequel, for once. It felt like proper send off to the franchise except for that sad excuse of a final boss.

arevin01

Dark Souls 2 should have been the last, I played a bit of DS3 and everything felt the same been there down that, series is now stagnant and its good thing it ends at DS3.

Eccocid

I really hope more people make that distinction.

I genuinely think DS3 will have a bit of a backlash once the new feeling wears off. And when it does I dont want that to hamper the chances of a new game in the series. I think there is some great stuff From can do with this series, they just chose not to with DS3.

When they showed that cg trailer first time with pilgrims walking etc. I thought the whole world of DS3 would be like that. Everything collapsed, lack of color and dark. Ala Bloodborne. I was expecitng big twisted ruins etc. But instead we got a nostalgia ride with usual Souls levels aka poison swamp, town and castles etc.

I'm feeling the fatigue. But I also burned myself out on the games because I played the entire series in such a short amount of time.

Hopefully when the DLC for DS3 hits it will have been enough time away so that I can look forward to it.

Neiteio

After playing BB and DS2: SotFS back to back last year, I'm pretty burned out, so I haven't tried DS3 yet. I'm sure it's fantastic, though. Just a case of too much of a good thing. Need to recharge my batteries and cleanse my palate with other games first.

Jarnet87

I got burned out on Dark Souls 2. Played some Demon Souls, put 60-70 into Dark Souls 1. Was hyped for 2 and got it right away but it just sat there and played very little of it. Sold it back and haven't bought Bloodbourne or 3. Maybe I'll buy cheap copies, but watching Black Dragon and his master class playthroughs are enough for me

impact

Banned

How is DS2?

Generally considered the worst in the series. Congratulations, you fucked up.

Palmer27

Most of the surprises in Dark Souls 3 immediately made me think of Bloodborne, completely agree with your comments.
I was also disappointed by how self-referential the series has become by 3. It's a game about Dark Souls, and there's very little sense of wonder and discovery because of it. I'm down on it from the virtual tourism side, I imagine for Pvp/gameplay purist types 3 is a God send.

Lunar15

Actually DS3 is kind of an anomaly in the franchise in that I felt the game got stronger the longer went on, while the beginning wasn't all that great.

That said, bosses with two phases of health bars are the worst. A hard fight I can take, but a long one sucks.

Molemitts

I love these games and Dark Souls 3 is brilliant, but I get where you're coming from. I think I'm done with Dark Souls games specifically, but I could really enjoy another Souls style game, because they're so good, but I don't think anything will ever be like the first time I played Dark Souls. That's why I really do want Miyazaki to do something entirely new, a completely new formula, I want him to capture my heart with something I've never seen before, just like with Dark Souls.

Thunderbolt

Neo Member
Huge fan of the series here. I bought the game, got to the Abyss Watchers and stopped playing. I started a new game three weeks later and just couldn't stop playing. I've beaten it five times now, though I think there won't be too many more. The only problem I have now is that I have a pretty deep understanding of the game, so I can just literally run through each area and straight to the boss.

Having said that, I've been replaying SotFS in between these playthroughs. I've played a whole lot of Dark Souls over these past couple of weeks, haha.

brawly

I always feel fatigued when I'm close to the end of one of them, because if i play them I play them intensily. One run usually takes three days. I can't just play an hour or two a day. I'm spent afterwards and always feel like "this was fun but I think I'm done with this now.

Then I do it all over again a few months later.

Shin-chan

I kind of agree, but I generally think the game is pretty great.

My main issue is that two of the secret levels (which I tackled at the endgame) have awful level and encounter design, even if they're interesting in terms of story.

Overall it wasn't as good or as consistent as Bloodborne I don't think. But I still had a really great time and I'm excited for the DLC, whereas I couldn't give a shit about the DLC for Dark Souls 2 - now that one absolutely did burn me out.

Pusherman

What's so weird to me is how, despite its massive critical acclaim, Dark Souls 1 still feels like the odd one out. I don't get why Dark Souls 3 felt the need to reference and even feature so much from the original Dark Souls while still structuring itself like Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. More than simply burned out I feel like Dark Souls 1 left me with an itch that's yet to be scratched despite 2 direct sequels and 1 original game that's spiritually related. Before Fromsoft completely moves on I just want one game that captures what's so special about Dark Souls 1 beyond it's incredible mechanics, atmosphere and lore-heavy approach to storytelling. They've got those aspects down. But give me one more adventure through a expertly interconnected world Fromsoft, that's ultimately what made the original Dark Souls so special and what separates it from the games released since. I'd have preferred a Dark Souls 3 that had absolutely no references to the original but that did away with warping from the start, a levelling up waifu and brought back the vertically connected world design of Dark Souls 1.

I can understand people feeling that way. Personally, I can't wait for the Dark Souls III DLC. It is my game of the year thus far. That being said, I'm glad Miyazaki is stepping away from the series and creating a new IP.

Maximo

I think after finishing Bloodborne recently then tackling Dark Souls 3 straight after I also felt burned out, I just enjoyed the combat in Bloodborne way more.

brawly

What's so weird to me is how, despite its massive critical acclaim, Dark Souls 1 still feels like the odd one out. I don't get why Dark Souls 3 felt the need to reference and even feature so much from the original Dark Souls while still structuring itself like Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. More than simply burned out I feel like Dark Souls 1 left me with an itch that's yet to be scratched despite 2 direct sequels and 1 original game that's spiritually related. Before Fromsoft completely moves on I just want one game that captures what's so special about Dark Souls 1 beyond it's incredible mechanics, atmosphere and lore-heavy approach to storytelling. They've got those aspects down. But give me one more adventure through a expertly interconnected world Fromsoft, that's ultimately what made the original Dark Souls so special and what separates it from the games released since. I'd have preferred a Dark Souls 3 that had absolutely no references to the original but that did away with warping from the start, a levelling up waifu and brought back the vertically connected world design of Dark Souls 1.

Great post. Totally agree. Even Dark Souls 2 was more open than Dark Souls 3, which felt like a straight path.

JackelZXA

Yeah, I'm getting super burned out. I don't know if I'll even finish NG+5.

(Where are you at in the game? The middle of the game is very much the nadir in my opinion, and despite the obvious sarcasm in my statement above I do sort of find myself wondering if I care enough to play through that Farron Keep -> Demon Ruins stretch every time through.)

You can always opt to fight the Dancer early.

I'm interested to see where the DLC ends up being put. I bet one of the two ends up being at the bottom of Demon Ruins or something. You don't really have much to accomplish there as is (especially if you're like me and run straight for the boss)

Hypron

I still have lots of fun playing but I am happy that they are moving away from the franchise. Do something different. If it's a good as the Souls franchise I'll be there day 0.

After I played Bloodborne I was worried about burnout because I really had no desire to explore the chalice dungeons or go into NG+. Got DS3 and I'm right back where I left off with DS2:SotFS, have about 100 hrs into the game and have gone through NG+ with my first character and now on a first play through with another character with no signs of slowing down. Souls just strikes a chord with me as far as re-playability goes that Bloodborne was lacking I guess.

You can always opt to fight the Dancer early.

I'm interested to see where the DLC ends up being put. I bet one of the two ends up being at the bottom of Demon Ruins or something. You don't really have much to accomplish there as is (especially if you're like me and run straight for the boss)

Don't you end up needing to do all of those zones to get the other Cinders, though?

I mean, I guess you can postpone the worst bits a while and open up the optional areas early to try and sprinkle them in when the progression areas become grating.

MilkBeard

I am not burned out. As long as any Souls game has the same quality level of Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 or better, then I would gladly play more souls games. I actually want to continue playing Dark Souls 3 but I've exhausted all of the content, so I am waiting until the DLC.

It's understandable if someone is burnt out, though. There have been 5 games. I usually stop playing a Souls game part-way through for one reason or another, and then pick it up again later, but this time I blasted through Dark Souls 3 in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes I get series fatigue with games in general; for example, I started to get burned out with Final Fantasy later in the PSX era. I couldn't really continue playing through any more of them with great interest until a few years ago. A break was needed, and I was able to come back and enjoy some of the games I didn't enjoy in the past.

Also, Miyazaki feels the same way, he is "done" with Dark Souls for now. So after the DLC it will be something new.

DS3 does everything well, but feels creatively exhausted.

Its not the series, it's the game itself that's lacking. A key part of the appeal of the games is the sense that you are exploring an unknown and mysterious world, DS3 feels more like a nostalgic theme-park. Its not too damaging the first time through because at least you have bosses to anticipate, but on replay when you know the lay of the land and where big encounters happen it falls flat.

At which point I found myself keenly aware of how lacking in ideas, character, and innovation this new entry was... and my interest fell off a cliff.

What's doubly damning to me is the feeling that there's very little FROM can do to make DS3 a title that stands on its own feet with patches and DLC. Its simply too mired in past glories to ever become its own thing; its constant call-backs to past glories simply remind me of how great and memorable those games were, whereas DS3 itself is fairly anonymous and uninteresting.

I guess it's understandable if people feel this way. However, I strongly disagree. I enjoyed this game immensely, and I don't think that having a strong connection with DS1 is a problem. If you really only enjoy 'new' worlds, then that might have that effect, but it doesn't for me. I generally like the game, I feel like it is not 'creatively bankrupt' simply because it is using some content with past games. ENB's reactions are kind of a good example to use. There are some fan-servicey elements to the game, however, they have built a new world and new lore with it. DS3 kind of 'completes the picture' when talking about the series lore in general.

I think your problem is more of a personal one, I would say, and not necessarily reflecting of every player.

I hope the next Soul game will be different, and by different I mean be totally different not tonned down, retelling the same history , making all enemies bigger with litmitless stamina and for once a proper straight storytelling.

MMaRsu

Banned
Having not really played Dark Souls 2 past the opening hour, but having played all the rest..

I just started Dark Souls 3 and Im loving it so far. So far it feels like the true Dark Souls 2.

The BB expansion is also so an good.

But I feel you, they are very similar and that feeling of playing those first few games cannot remain forever.

This is why you much buy Nioh for ps4.. that game made me feel like when I played Demon Souls for the first time.

So excited to play that full game.

Mentok

Banned
I consider myself a Souls' vet having platinumed every game, and then creating multple characters/challenge runs/etc (BB being the exception. After fully beating it I never felt compelled to go back). I have yet to pick up DS3 because I felt burnt out. I know I'll pick it up down the road (probably the inevitable GOTY version), but for now I'm playing different games to build up my desire to play the series again.

Caffeine

I was already fatigued with dark souls 2 sotfs so when i hopped into dark souls 3 it was a chore to get through.

Retsudo

I platinumed all the Souls games so far. Some multiple times, but the feeling of burning out is setting in. But after a few months the hunger sets in back again. Maybe i just need a break from videogames all together.

BouncyFrag

I'm up in the last area and haven't played in a few weeks. I wouldn't say I'm burnt out, just a little weary and I'm hoping I can get back into it.

I'm getting pretty close to the end of Dark Souls 3, and I am absolutely ready for a break from this series. Give me 2 years and I'll be starving for a new game!

I felt this way after DS2. But I think that speaks more to that particular game than Soulsborne in general, because I loved both Bloodborne and DS3 since then. I also loved both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 before. And I still have a craving for more Soulsborne, especially if Miyazaki is at the helm.

Top Bottom