• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong (but merely casual) Street Fighter fan, don't feel like I have a place

I just sorta chimed in on the SFV character update thread but thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else out there feels this way :(

On a side note, my biggest fear came to pass with SFV in that all the casuals have left (probably due to just... well not enough there) and now it's nothing but the traditional FGC, who are now just wrecking me constantly :(

followed up by...

AgentOtaku said:
....which, oddly enough, is why I now kinda side with the ones who initially took Capcom to task for the lack of a single-player component/suite to dig into....even though I actually dug being forced into playing online more!
Seems like, once again, the biggest problem is SF's own FGC and their dedication/awesomeness.

I mean, I'll continue to play online...and get fucking wrecked, hoping to get a little better. But still, I'm 33 and I'll never be able to compete at that level... so yeah, the lack of something substantial for people like me, does in fact suck, hard.

Slaythe

I understand.

Buy guilty gear Revelator in two weeks. There will be lots of casuals there and it's a great game. It's the closer to SF you'll get, from a casual standpoint.

SFV is almost exclusively composed by people really dedicated to it so it's hard for newcomers.

The casuals gave up the game after a month.

GGxrdR have the best graphics around and a stylish mode for newbies, as well as in depth tutorial and combo showcase. So usually it's better for newcomers to get hooked.

I understand.

Buy guilty gear Revelator in two weeks. There will be lots of casuals there and it's a great game. It's the closer to SF you'll get, from a casual standpoint.

SFV is almost exclusively composed by people really dedicated to it so it's hard for newcomers.

GGxrdR have the best graphics around and a stylish mode for newbies, as well as in depth tutorial and combo showcase. So usually it's better for newcomers to get hooked.

Well definitely check it out then... also holding hope for KoF

brinstar

I feel the same way too. I was really into SF (and by extension, other 2D fighters) for their art, music, characters, etc. I was never "good" at the games on a competitive level, but I'd still buy them to have fun with my friends.

So yeah I haven't picked up SFV yet because I dunno, it just doesn't feel like it's for me at all haha.

Yeah, I feel like capcom doesn't want gamers like me anymore

I was upset and still kind of am, but I'm moving on

I've always loved street fighter but I don't like playing online games vs real people at all

Obviously they decided I'm not the target for street fighter anymore and that's OK

The good news is there are so many options i don't have to care about street Fighter or capcom anymore

I had a blast with doa5 on PS4, skull girls has been great and I honestly think nitro plus blasters is the best fighting game on PS4, great offline options and so fun

Also played a ton of mk x for story and krypt, and gonna buy gg revelator soon

So yes capcom, move on, that's what I'm doing

Just a shame they weren't clear about lack of genre standard offline modes so I didn't drop 60 on release day to play a shitty survival mode and online that kept disconnecting

Absolutely love the series and still can pull out Alpha 3 and Third Strike randomly and have a great time. I'm in the same camp. King of Fighters is getting my money this year. Not buying SFV unless Capcom does a definitive edition with whatever DLC they put out (i.e. more modes and characters) on the disc.

It's really amazing how every other fighting game has all the features SFV doesn't. Guilty Gear with a robust story. King of Fighters with a MASSIVE number of characters. Tekken is sure to have plenty of modes, as is series tradition, once it gets its home port. Street Fighter just can't keep up with its competitors anymore and it's just tragic. This is exactly what happened to the series in the 90s all over again.

pizzacat

Banned
I understand.

The tutorial is great and all but gg is a game where you're ass until you're good, there's no real in between imo

I mean there is style mode 🤔

KoF coming out in a bit too, it is said to be a good jumping on point for people who've never played them before

Crayon

There's no amount of "content" that would make a casual crown stick when they could be playing an easier game. There's nowhere to hide or be carried by a team in street fighter.

It's a hard game and takes effort and that includes making an effort to enter the community. That means finding players who are at your level. The upside is that you don't have to assemble a whole team; if you make just one friend online who is a goo match for you, you can play many many matches in a row with them.

I understand people wanted arcade mode or a better story mode but that would do little or nothing to change the nature of the online landscape.

I feel you man. Seems like the skill pool was pretty varies with USF4 for its whole run.

If you have an Xbox or W10 PC I can't recommend Killer Instinct enough. Controls and moves are very similar to Street Fighter, but there's also the combo assist and in depth tutorials to help newer players. The population is surely lower than Street fighters but there is definitely a wealth of casual fans and newcomers still playing. Perfect time to jump in.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah, I play fighting games for the characters and single-player modes, so haven't gone anywhere near SFV yet. As someone who has no interest in competitive multiplayer games it's just not something on my radar in its current state.

daemonic

Banned
In the same boat as you OP. Capcom is a shell of its former self so I'm not counting on much from SFV, even though local multiplayer was fun with friends. I'm sticking with SFIII and SFA3 whenever I need my SF fix.

There's no amount of "content" that would make a casual crown stick when they could be playing an easier game. There's nowhere to hide or be carried by a team in street fighter.

It's a hard game and takes effort and that includes making an effort to enter the community. That means finding players who are at your level. The upside is that you don't have to assemble a whole team; if you make just one friend online who is a goo match for you, you can play many many matches in a row with them.

I understand people wanted arcade mode or a better story mode but that would do little or nothing to change the nature of the online landscape.

There are a massive number of players out there, and everyone is different. Fighting games have players who enjoy them but don't always prioritize the same thing. Not everyone has the time, energy, or willingness to care enough to be the next Daigo and that's totally fine. Street Fighter originally prided itself on being a relatively welcoming game for players of all types, and V is a game that's largely designed to turn off or intimidate anyone other than the most diehard of the diehard. That's what OP is getting at - just this "git gud" stuff doesn't solve core problems with Capcom's handling of the game.

Even a game like Overwatch recently manages to both be an appealing competitive game and newcomer-friendly. There needs to be a balance. There aren't anywhere near enough of the hardcore FGC players to justify making a game purely for such a relatively-insular community.

Producer

I understand.

I think its opposite. There is probably more casual players on SFV right now than there will ever be on Revelator. The game is just very niche and i dont think alot of casual players keep up with the revisions.

I agree. Usually with fighting games I'll boot them up every once and a while just to play through a session of arcade mode or something. I don't have enough time to dedicate to getting good enough at a fighting game to compete online.

I'll probably boot it up again to play the Story mode, but if that's not very compelling it'll probably be the last time I play Street Fighter V.

It sucks. Mechanically, SFV is the most approachable game in the series, but by catering to the FGC so heavily, almost no casual players will ever give the game a chance.

This is just plain wrong. Some single player content would have retained more casual players. Not everyone wants to play online or enter the "community". Some just want to play around with the characters in single player modes.

I firmly believe Street Fighter would retain more casual players with something for them to play outside of getting bodied online.

Yudoken

Currently I highly recommend to play against friends, get a few together on a popular messaging system and use discord for voice chat and it's good to play.

Using matchmaking to play is really hit or miss, you can get decent connections but it's not as reliable as other games like Rocket League.

fallingdove

I came to this same realization last night.

After running a 6:4 win rate for the first couple of months, as a Super Bronze, I began facing Super Silvers and Golds on a regular basis. Now I rarely play against casuals like myself, and instead just get destroyed over and over by the hardcore.

The casuals are gone. I can only hope that arcade and campaign modes bring them back in some capacity.

Ryce

The gameplay is great, but there's absolutely nothing for me to do. Survival is frustrating and tedious, and I beat the terrible character stories the day the game came out. I just want proper arcade and vs. CPU (not training) modes.

Is it really impossible to get better at the game?

I feel like you get out of it what you put in. It requires dedication but that shouldnt be considered a negative. If you only play a few hours one or two times every other week you won't ever learn anything,

I think if you wanted to be somewhat competitive online it takes playing almost every day to stay fresh and tune your reactions and build knowledge.

If That means you play less of other games think of it as a backlog blocker? Or money saving game?

Ponn

Banned

I feel this is the same rhetoric going through all the hardcore SFV players minds and FGC type people. They are missing the point of the casual crowd though, we are not looking to become "awesome" at the game, we don't view it as a challenge. We just want to have fun with it. Getting beaten in 2 seconds online continuously is not fun nor is it helpful to learn jack squat. It's not about being a sore loser, its just about having fun with matches and messing around with a story mode or single player when you just don't feel like dealing with MP. Alot of the casual SF crowd who has been around since SF 2 like me are in their 30's or so. We don't have the time or inclination to put into a game like this to become competitive in MP to make it anywhere near fun to play a few matches online.

It is what it is though, just move on like me if the game is not made for you. Theres no use complaining to Capcom or anyone or else about it. If it dies, it dies.

Lurch666

Oh I so feel this.Been playing since SFII but nowadays I feel like I don't know the game at all.Could never combo but could get by before but now online I just get comboed to death.The last time I tried I got put with players with 1700+ league points (I have 85) so had very little chance-I figure that there just weren't any players of my level for the game to pit me against.

I think we need a noob league.

RK9039

Yeah I agree with this. It focuses too much on one component while lacking in other areas.

It's definitely full of really skillful players, but I'm getting used to it. The challenge is what makes me want to continue playing and eventually get really good at the game. I can't count how many times I've had a 10 losing streak, but occasionally I beat someone who's leagues ahead of me and that makes me forget all those losses. I think it really helps that game is a lot of fun, I tried playing Ultra SF4 the other day and I turned it off after 2 matches.

I feel like you get out of it what you put in. It requires dedication but that shouldnt be considered a negative. If you only play a few hours one or two times every other week you won't ever learn anything,

I think if you wanted to be somewhat competitive online it takes playing almost every day to stay fresh and tune your reactions and build knowledge.

Yeah well some of us have responsibilities that impede that

I get maybe an hour or two every other night and like 30 games in my library to play, don't wanna dedicate to just one

That's why i stick to offline play in a fighter. Hop in and whoop on some AI for fun and move on

This is just plain wrong. Some single player content would have retained more casual players. Not everyone wants to play online or enter the "community". Some just want to play around with the characters in single player modes.

I firmly believe Street Fighter would retain more casual players with something for them to play outside of getting bodied online.
He means that outside single player, casuals would still have left right after finishing the story and doing a few matches with their friends.

The average joe gamer just don't stick that long with online.

Unknown?

I understand.

Uhhh Guilty Gear is not a casual franchise. Most people out of forums like this have never even heard of it...

Crayon

There are a massive number of players out there, and everyone is different. Fighting games have players who enjoy them but don't always prioritize the same thing. Not everyone has the time, energy, or willingness to care enough to be the next Daigo and that's totally fine. Street Fighter originally prided itself on being a relatively welcoming game for players of all types, and V is a game that's largely designed to turn off or intimidate anyone other than the most diehard of the diehard. That's what OP is getting at - just this "git gud" stuff doesn't solve core problems with Capcom's handling of the game.

Even a game like Overwatch recently manages to both be an appealing competitive game and newcomer-friendly. There needs to be a balance. There aren't anywhere near enough of the hardcore FGC players to justify making a game purely for such a relatively-insular community.

If you guys are saying there should be offline modes for people who don't want to be online at all, I can agree. But I don't think that would encourage those players to play online.

If Agent Otaku just wants a single player fighting game, then sf5 is a bad game. But I feel like he was more wanting a way into online play.

edit: I looked back at his post and he really is asking more for stuff to do offline, and in that sense sf5 just drops the ball.

I actually put a lot of time into SFIV's Arcade mode and only played against friends. With SFV I don't have many friends interested in the game due to the lack of content for casual players I'm really missing the Arcade Mode.

Uhhh Guilty Gear is not a casual franchise. Most people out of forums like this have never even heard of it...

I think the term you're looking for is "mainstream," in the context of your post.

You certainly don't need fighting game experience going in (I know I didn't) to play the game.

If That means you play less of other games think of it as a backlog blocker? Or money saving game?

And what about the people who aren't interested in playing online?

If you guys are saying there should be offline modes for people who don't want to be online at all, I can agree. But I don't think that would encourage those players to play online.

If Agent Otaku just wants a single player fighting game, then sf5 is a bad game. But I feel like he was more wanting a way into online play.

Sounds to me like they were lamenting the lack of offline stuff since it would have compensated for the tough online.

Kumubou

I think the idea with SF5 was to try to draw more casual fans into playing more and getting better, thereby driving engagement. I don't think additional single player content would matter at all in that regard even if it was great, as people would go online and then get blown out by the same core playerbase that's there now. So they would play through whatever modes were there, maybe try playing online and get their back blown out and put the game down for the next big release.

However, Capcom being Capcpom, they completely screwed that up too. That's really the understated part of this release. For all of the people complaining about leaving casuals behind to focus on their core playerbase, they screwed up everything for the core playerbase too! It's an awful experience playing online, where you spend way more time waiting for matches and looking at loading screens than actually playing. The matchmaking is awful as it takes minutes to find a game that ends up being someone way outside of your rank while showing five bar connections to someone on satellite internet out on the other side of the world. Anything outside of the moment to moment fighting is just an awful experience and I can't blame anyone for bailing out on it.

It's going to lead to fighting games being stuck in the wilderness again for the next decade unless something crazy happens (like Riot actually making the fighter they're rumored to be working on and blowing off everyone's doors off).

FluxWaveZ

I think the term you're looking for is "mainstream," in the context of your post.

You certainly don't need fighting game experience going in (I know I didn't) to play the game.

I think Guilty Gear is both not mainstream and also difficult for casual players to get into, because of the depth of its mechanics. Ishiwatari said as much in the recent Forbes interview.

I think the idea with SF5 was to try to draw more casual fans into playing more and getting better, thereby driving engagement. I don't think additional single player content would matter at all in that regard even if it was great, as people would go online and then get blown out by the same core playerbase that's there now. So they would play through whatever modes were there, maybe try playing online and get their back blown out and put the game down for the next big release.

But there are a ton of more ways to accommodate casual players and attempt to convert them to being more competitive that SFV completely screwed up. Tutorials that are actually meaningful, challenges that actually teach you how to play the game and respond to different situations, in-depth character specific guides, etc. You look at Guilty Gear Xrd Sign/Revelator and then SFV and it's complete night and day.

Renekton

SFV had a lot of noobs at launch too. Eventually Overwatch will filter down to players who stuck around long enough to be good and you will get bodied as a newcomer.

When I played Overwatch, I got destroyed the same way a gold player destroys a bronze, the same way I got destroyed in BF4. The only difference is that it gives you participation medals.

I feel the same way. I absolutely love SF, but I'm having a very hard time keeping myself motivated because I just get absolutely bodied every time I play. I wish I had the time to practice for a few hours every day to remain competitive, but I just don't.

Basketball

Yeah well some of us have responsibilities that impede that

I get maybe an hour or two every other night and like 30 games in my library to play, don't wanna dedicate to just one

That's why i stick to offline play in a fighter. Hop in and whoop on some AI for fun and move on
Is that really an issue with the game or your situation.
The skilled Sf players just play. Sf and maybe 1/2 games on the side. You have to be dedicated. It's alright if your not but i wouldnt fault the game for that. Folks played Sf4 for 7/8 years.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Fact is, there's more to fighting games than playing with other people and getting wrecked. I enjoy how the games look, play and feel. I used to purchase SF and MK on Genesis and SNES, and there was no online play back then.

I can enjoy a fighting game all on my own. I prefer to enjoy the gameplay without the stress of competition. I played hundreds of hours of Tekken and Soul Calibur without a single online match on my record.

Kyari

I've felt in the same boat as OP. I know how to play Street Fighter, I've played it since SFII, but I consider myself casual and feel like there's no place for me in SFV (especially with the lack of single player stuff still)

Precisely

It sucks. Mechanically, SFV is the most approachable game in the series, but by catering to the FGC so heavily, almost no casual players will ever give the game a chance.

This right here, seriously

I got a coworker to buy it and spar with me, even though he wasn't into the scene. Reason being as I sold him on how easy it was to get into...

And yeah, he eventually bailed we he quickly found there wasn't ANYTHING else to do really :(

Is that really an issue with the game or your situation.
The skilled Sf players just play. Sf and maybe 1/2 games on the side. You have to be dedicated. It's alright if your not but i wouldnt fault the game for that. Folks played Sf4 for 7/8 years.
It's an issue with the game. There needs to be more single player content for people who don't want to just get wrecked online all the time but don't have the time or dedication to get good enough. Some people don't treat Street fighter as an online experience, and for them SFV is a terrible game.

Tesser

Never played a SF game in my life, but I sympathize with you OP. Watching all this unfold as a neutral, it's clear Capcom have disregarded the 'non-competitive' community (I'm not f a fan of using the term 'casual' for all the negative connotations it seems to have garnered in recent times). It's why I rarely play games like Smash Bros & Dark Souls online because I just can't be arsed putting in the time and effort to learn the intricate in's and out's out of hope that I can at least do decent against other people. I'd rather just consolidate my time off-line, do all the single-player stuff, unlock things and get f-f-fun out of that.

It's disappointing to see so I hope for those who love and/or are really into fighting games, upcoming stuff like Guilty Gear & King of Fighters will satisfy.

This is why I miss games like powerstone where friends could just pick up and play and have a good time

Humorously enough, PS has so much cheap shit that anyone competent is going to mop the floor with you. You can still pick up SFV, or any fighting game, and have fun so long as your friends are casually playing.

But the second people start learning about the system? That's when you have issues.

I see where people are coming from, though. A single player element would have helped those who don't wanna play online to have fun. And however long that lasts is however long it would be.

On the flipside, if you still have friends who are shit at fighting games, stick to playing them. If you ever feel like going online again, don't take it seriously (the top SF player streams daily, and just dicks around). And learning footies and all that jazz, if you are willing, won't take too long if you train smart, not hard.

If you are looking to just mash it out with the CPU, SFV isn't for you right now. Maybe in the future, but not at the moment. If you are looking for less of a challenge, grab some friends, throw back some beers, and get drunk as fuck while throwing out fireballs.

I would suggest that if you are in the former group that you look into other fighting games. DOA, Tekken, and Guilty Gear have decent CPU attractions.

Sayad

I mean, I'll continue to play online...and get fucking wrecked, hoping to get a little better. But still, I'm 33 and I'll never be able to compete at that level... so yeah, the lack of something substantial for people like me, does in fact suck, hard.
Your best option is to find online/offline friends at around your level and stick to playing with them. I did this for the majority of SFIV's life, 3s online, KoFXIII and plan to play KoFXIV and Tekken 7 casually too.

Been a huge fighting games fan since SF2, it's my favorite genre, yet the first fighting game I took seriously on a competitive level is GGXrd. Regardless of the FGC stigma, the genre still have room for casual competitive play, especially now that netcodes are getting better and better.

1v1 based games will always have issues keeping casual players in multi player, there needs to be other elements of the product to get them to buy in and stay active. There is just way more pressure when there is no team to rely on or blame and the chaos of a larger game to hide one's faults. Look how even a game like StarCraft 2 with its great matchmaking to ensure you'd win as many matches as you lost and generally be in the right place with skill matching has had the same issues of keeping around casual players and a 'pros only' stigma that hurts community growth.

It's a tough problem because they can't change the nature of the game to have some broader appeal without losing what makes it what it is. They just have to add on ancillary modes and content and hope at least some of those more casual players will cross over.

I came to this same realization last night.

After running a 6:4 win rate for the first couple of months, as a Super Bronze, I began facing Super Silvers and Golds on a regular basis. Now I rarely play against casuals like myself, and instead just get destroyed over and over by the hardcore.

The casuals are gone. I can only hope that arcade and campaign modes bring them back in some capacity.

YUUUP! :(

Top Bottom