• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a lifelong (but merely casual) Street Fighter fan, don't feel like I have a place

The online community is super small from what I've noticed in general. I was playing the other night (around midnight CST) and I was waiting like 5 mins for a match, played a guy, he crushed me, I pressed to go again and he declined so I spent 5 more mins looking for a match then it matched me up with the SAME guy. Same thing happens, he crushes me, declines to play again and I waited 5 more minutes and guess what. SAME GUY third time in a row. Same outcome. I turned it off at that point. It felt like only me and this other guy were playing (and he was like 3 or more league ranks above me - I'm rookie). I'm trying real hard to get good at this game but stuff like this makes it tough.

HOLY SHIT, this EXACT SAME thing happened to me just yesterday!

Anne

That wouldn't solve a thing for a player like me though. I like playing a ton of different games, so I have no interest in more causal online groups or engagement with spectating. I don't need a shallow end to help me gradually get into the more competitive scene; I just want modes I can enjoy on my own, on my own time, like fighting games have almost always had up until recently. Arcade mode has never been shitty to me. Games with good single player content like Soul Calibur 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 have entertained me plenty, a whole lot more than SFV has.

Well, then the way the genre is heading might not be for you. When I say casual, I mean there are people that do group matches vs AI in LoL from time to time cause they can, etc. Or there are more modes where it's like "hey, there's a single player challenge out in (insert content model), go do it for a reward" type stuff. It's pretty common in most of these MP community driven games. Sometimes it is good content too, I had a blast doing the co op stuff for the latest CSGO operation.

If periodical or community driven content is something you can't do, I don't know what to tell you. Devs pumping out fighting games with the old model will still be a thing, so go enjoy those. The meat of the genre will more than likely need to move elsewhere though, so it is what it is. I'm just basing it off what I know of how the FGC works and how every other major competitive genre has gone in recent years.

What if you don't want to be 'competitive'? What if you'd just like to play against people of a similar skill level for 'fun'? Except that isn't an option in SFV because the matchmaking is completely fucked and as someone who bounces between Super/Ultra Bronze rank, I get matched almost exclusively against Super Silver/Gold/Platinum players about 19 games out of 20.

Precisely

I've only just recently noticed how actually fubar'ed the matchmaking is, since all the casuals left :(

What if you don't want to be 'competitive'? What if you'd just like to play against people of a similar skill level for 'fun'? Except that isn't an option in SFV because the matchmaking is completely fucked and as someone who bounces between Super/Ultra Bronze rank, I get matched almost exclusively against Super Silver/Gold/Platinum players about 19 games out of 20.

You do your own matchmaking by connecting with other players online by other means just like people who play fighting games that aren't SF have been doing for years.

Hell you're on GAF you could even try that here.

At least SFV gave us an amazing soundtrack. I'm tempted to start a circle-jerk thread just dedicated to its amazing OST. Some of the best workout music I've heard from a video game.

I wish I had some motivated friends that could motivate me to play it. I am an old head by definition. I'm older and grew up on SF2 Championship Edition, MK2, Tekken 2, etc. I've played nothing substantive in the fighting game genre since those days with the exception of Maaaahvel which I play with my little brother from time to time. I bought SFV at launch but like a lot of people who didn't put years into SF4 found little or nothing to help bridge some of that gap of time not playing. That's why I was frustrated by a lack of tutorials and combo training modules. By the time they came, I had essentially moved on to other games and other things to do in life. Too many good games out there begging for time and attention. To date I believe I have 6 hours in SFV and about half of that is just sitting at the main menu. Maybe only 3 or 4 online matches with the rest trying to "figure out" combos to help me unlock alternate outfits.

The only time I really played with others was in a little GAF tournament that was funny, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing. Maybe if I had friends that play the game regularly willing to help me learn a bit, I'd be more interested. Maybe if the game had launched with modules to help address the crowd that doesn't play every iteration of SF for at least 500 hours, my interest level when having bought the game would have translated into playing the game more regularly. But here we are, another game that is technically good sitting unplayed in my Steam library.

Precisely

I've only just recently noticed how actually fubar'ed the matchmaking is, since all the casuals left :(
I guess there's nothing for me at all, then.

ShinMaruku

I don't think Guilty Gear is approachable for casuals at all. Xrd has some insanely deep mechanics and systems compared to a game like SF.

Actually I always see this falacy with GG and KOF but people mistake, deep down it's the same SF just hides your badness better. Deep down they all have systems you must know. Guilty Gear just has more unique characters making you have to commit more to one.

Quoting myself from another thread:

Hardcore fighting game fans are probably still in. As you've said, online battles are all most of you guys really need.

Maybe people like me are the biggest problem. I'm not a great player, and I don't think I'll ever be. Online play doesn't mean much to me: it's cool sometimes, but I don't think I'll ever be good enough to enjoy it.

I buy Street Fighter games to play against the CPU. Yes, I know, over time you start to learn how the CPU "thinks" and begin predicting it's moves, but for people like me, learning the CPU patterns is part of the fun.

I bought Street Fighter V day one. It's a great game, for sure. However, I quickly realized how frustrating online mode is for a mediocre player like me, and survival mode is just awful (for reasons you already know: one-round fights, bad AI etc).

I want to play against the CPU. I want to learn the patterns and raise the difficulty level gradually until I can finish arcade mode at the hardest difficulty without losing a single round, just like I did with SF2 -- SF2 Turbo on the SNES even showed a "You have mastered Ryu" screen when I finally managed a clean run on Level 8.

sf2turpor-12.png

Wait. There's no arcade mode. Survival sucks. Story mode is awful. It seems like Capcom doesn't make games for guys like me anymore.

Goodbye Street Fighter V. I'll be back when (if) a good single player mode is added.

Swarna

I only get matched up with Bronze/Silver players right now as Gold. There's something not right about the matchmaking since I rarely get matched with people of my rank or higher.

I don't believe that SP content is required for casuals. In fact, I think it's a waste of time if you're concerned about concurrent players for a long period of time. I believe that robust online systems will naturally retain a larger player base and with it more casual players who can play each other. Casuals don't leave because of no single player (at least the ones who would have stayed, anyways). They leave because they get matched up with players who are much better than them and it's soul crushing to continue to play. SFV's online (really everything aside from the gameplay) is broken as hell.

akira28

Is it really impossible to get better at the game?

I feel like you get out of it what you put in. It requires dedication but that shouldnt be considered a negative. If you only play a few hours one or two times every other week you won't ever learn anything,

I think if you wanted to be somewhat competitive online it takes playing almost every day to stay fresh and tune your reactions and build knowledge.

If That means you play less of other games think of it as a backlog blocker? Or money saving game?

man I have a job, and dreams, and one of those dreams is to become the best pokemon champion, maybe even king of iron fist, not the best street fighter.

I have 0 problems with SFV (and fighters in general) abandoning the SP content in favor of shifting towards a fully fleshed out online infrastructure. If it alienates the people that only care for SP content like arcade or survival, then so be it. There are ways to attract casual players that don't rely on the archaic modes that worked 20 years ago. But unfortunately, Capcom completely bungled the online components of the game as well, which makes it hurt that much more. Like Kumu mentioned, having really good core mechanics isn't enough for people to buy into your game.

If you really have an interest in playing the game and don't like the searching tools Capcom provided to you, there are ways to find players to play with around your level in and out of game. Make some lobbies in game and let people know that you only want to play with bronze players, or go into some forums/communities and look for people to play with. GAF OT has really cool people to play with of all different skill levels that'll help you learn to get better if that's what you want.

If you're just looking for an arcade mode, unfortunately, you're not gonna get that. And honestly, there doesn't really need to be one when developers should be capable of much more in 2016.

n0razi

Online play just makes everything more competitive... just human nature.. look at starcraft or even cod

Zekes!

I was kind of you OP until recently actually. It helps when you have at least one person to play locally with. I had always been a super casual Street Fighter and fighting game fan, but none of my friends growing up were that into fighters (besides Smash), so I'd play them for a short amount of time and then stop, regardless of their single player content.

In the last few years I've become good friends with someone who's really into SF (on a casual level) and we ended up putting a ton of time into a variety of fighters. I also started hanging with a cousin of mine who loves fighters, and we put in a bunch of matches every couple weeks. Because of this, I've been content to play SFV by myself for short bursts, either working on combos in the training mode, attempting different character trials, or going for a few casual matches. It works for me as a game to pick up for 10 - 20 mins and then move on.

fernoca

Yep.
I've noticed even more around SFV, that if one is not a great player, you get beaten a lot online and the solution some have is? Play more and get good.

What if I don't want to "get good".

I love fighting games, I play them since ...forever. I'm 34, so I played in arcades too. But in my case, I just play casually, have fun, win or lose I don't care. Sometimes I just put a fighting game just to play a few matches and that's it.

In general, I barely block, I don't evade and talk about frames and nerfs is mumbo jumbo to me.

Yet, somehow the reaction to some is as if "SFV is not meant for me", despite me playing SF since the crappy first one in arcades. I've even been told to stop playing by people I can literally be their dad. "Go play MK" even. XD

Is a toxic idea. I love the games, but some of us just not want to "get good". Simple stuff like a permanent casual matchmaking, would do wonders. Like "For Fun" in Smash, in those cases friends are not over or online.

Rutger

Banned
I don't think Guilty Gear is approachable for casuals at all. Xrd has some insanely deep mechanics and systems compared to a game like SF.

Honestly, I think Guilty Gear is not nearly as difficult to get into as a lot of people like to say. Starting out, all someone needs to do is learn a very simple chain combo into knockdown, then the magic happens. I understand it's easy to get overwhelmed by all the system mechanics, but one of the most important things in the game is getting that knockdown and that is not hard for a beginner to do.

The biggest problem is probably finding someone else at that level to fight, but no one should be worried about understanding everything right away. Just learn things one at a time like with any other fighting game.

So is there a win rate where casual players would be OK with not losing? I hear a lot of "I go online and get crushed, I wish there were more casual players" so you can what? Crush them? Go 50/50? What is this imaginary level of competition that not only Capcom, but the entire FGC should tailor itself around every individual player? It is being a sore loser because if that player was winning, they wouldn't be complaining that there are too many casuals.

I at least get the arcade mode comments. I don't personally buy that they would lead to more people sticking around (look at MKX), but more content is better than less without a doubt.

Honestly, I think Guilty Gear is not nearly as difficult to get into as a lot of people like to say. Starting out, all someone needs to do is learn a very simple chain combo into knockdown, then the magic happens. I understand it's easy to get overwhelmed by all the system mechanics, but one of the most important things in the game is getting that knockdown and that is not hard for a beginner to do.

The biggest problem is probably finding someone else at that level to fight, but no one should be worried about understanding everything right away. Just learn things one at a time like with any other fighting game.

Mechanically it's easy. Dealing with rushdown online with crazy and unique character archetypes even faster than in SFV is not easy to deal with. I love GG, but that and any niche title with a hardcore community is even worse. Ditto for KoF. Mechanically, nothing is easier to play than UMVC3. Try playing that against anyone half way decent if you're only casual.

I only get matched up with Bronze/Silver players right now as Gold. There's something not right about the matchmaking since I rarely get matched with people of my rank or higher.

I don't believe that SP content is required for casuals. In fact, I think it's a waste of time if you're concerned about concurrent players for a long period of time. I believe that robust online systems will naturally retain a larger player base and with it more casual players who can play each other. Casuals don't leave because of no single player (at least the ones who would have stayed, anyways). They leave because they get matched up with players who are much better than them and it's soul crushing to continue to play. SFV's online (really everything aside from the gameplay) is broken as hell.

It follows that there are just as many high ranked players lumped against Bronze players as vice versa, and it can't be much fun for them either. I know they're never slow to decline rematches after walking over me!

Aske

Preach. I know the FGC guys are like "recapture the arcade experience!" but I didn't spend much time with Street Fighter in the arcades; certainly not as part of a dedicated fighying community. I'd just go with friends and we'd play each other. We all spent vastly more time playing vs on our Super Nintendos, and even more than that, we were playing arcade mode by ourselves. I remember playing SF2 Turbo so much that I could beat arcade on the hardest difficulty with the highest cheat-unlocked turbo setting. Those are my memories of Street Fighter, and fighting games in general.

I'm glad Mortal Kombat has grown with me and continues to cater to players like me, but I really wish Street Fighter would do the same. Pinning my hopes on the big update, because I'd love to get back into the game.

faridmon

Retrospectively, Its amazing how SF4 have both appealed to casual players and hardcore fans at the same time, especially after such a long break.

Shifty

Yeah, I feel like capcom doesn't want gamers like me anymore

I was upset and still kind of am, but I'm moving on

I've always loved street fighter but I don't like playing online games vs real people at all

Obviously they decided I'm not the target for street fighter anymore and that's OK

The good news is there are so many options i don't have to care about street Fighter or capcom anymore

I had a blast with doa5 on PS4, skull girls has been great and I honestly think nitro plus blasters is the best fighting game on PS4, great offline options and so fun

Also played a ton of mk x for story and krypt, and gonna buy gg revelator soon

So yes capcom, move on, that's what I'm doing

Just a shame they weren't clear about lack of genre standard offline modes so I didn't drop 60 on release day to play a shitty survival mode and online that kept disconnecting

Is this one of those '(I'm an expert)' copy-paste doohickeys?

SephLuis

My whole thing is fighting games are in a interesting place, potential for modest growth and a really robust scene, HOWEVER, the main bottleneck with how these games progress is how they teach you, nobody involved be it developers, pros, tourney people or scene elders know how to bridge that gap and until there is a better way to teach people outside of relying on some factors outside your control (For example you can live in area with a dead scene, you can't get or afford good net for netplay) to smooth over the rough patches.

Fighting games rely on you learning how to play them decently to get the most out of them, but to get there they put many stumbling blocks that retard growth some of this shit is paradoxical but it's how things have been so nobody wants to change shit.

First you must learn the inputs of the moves, then the timings,then you must learn ranges and movement, then you must learn your character the put it all together then you must learn match ups, then congratulations you are at base level now you must learn game plans and how to juggle all of that while figuring out your opponent, that is asking far too much of the lay person, anybody who thinks things as they are now and can grow the scene at a rate they want are either deceitful or are fools, one or the other.

Ideally this can be allivietated if there is a diverse enough player pool that all skill levels are properly represented where when playing people of like skill you can naturally level up or stay content, but some would argue with a barebones non online component the player base is small and is dominated by the skilled people who crush and run away new blood then bitch about the lack of new blood or bitch about how some people play. Those mindsets are bizzare but not the topic of this thread.

So I feel what the OP is saying nobody around the level to play with, I don't think it's because you are not what Capcom is looking for, I think they have no idea what they are doing and are making a game for a phantom audience, they can't teach their own games, they are too tied to dogma, until something changes this will remain niche.

That said the implosion of esports could be amusing on this end.

I am going to have to disagree on this. While some arguments are sound, I think you are reaching for the wrong conclusions.

First, recently we have seen a lot of modes and tutorials made to include new players in the fighting game genre. Skullgirls have an awesome tutorial. Guilty Gear Xrd also has a great tutorial. Almost every single fighter in the market has a basic tutorial that covers basic knowledge for the genre and system knowledge for the title/series.

Also, every game has a challenge mode that it's mostly used to teach BnB combos that people can use to win matches. BnBs are easy to execute, often do good damage and there are usually many moments where they can be used.

Then there's also other modes where you can practice alone. Story, survival, medal, arcade, etc. Basically where you can take all your knowledge and apply against the CPU before trying to play with people, which I think it's the ultimate objective.

However, since there are so many tools now for new players to learn, the beginner level of playing also went up. I can usually find new players playing SF V and they are much, much better than I was when I started SF II. They can combo, they have some idea of spacing and they already know that jump hk and then cr.hk isn't a reliable tactic.

That said, there always comes a time where the player itself has to invest in the game, by him or herself, in order to improve. Practicing combos or learning and asking about match-ups or seeing some new kind of strategy about your character. Everyone, even pros, eventually hit a wall and have to adapt in order to improve. I feel that a lot of people hit this wall, but are never taught what to do with it. Hell, most times the own person doesn't have the answer.

Everyone, eventually, grows within a game. Ideally, every fighter would have a player pool representing all levels of skill, but even those players eventually grow in execution and knowledge, even if they remain in the same beginner rank. I think it's more of a characteristic of the fighting genre itself when compared to shooters or MOBAs, you don't have anyone to rely on. It's you against another person and that's it.

The tutorial aspects of the genre have improved by a lot, but I feel that there's a limit on how much you can allow them to keep the training wheels, especially if they eventually want to play online. Eventually, the player will have to train by himself and maybe that's where people aren't getting prepared to.

Used to play Street Fighter in the arcades and loved it... It was comprehensible if not simple by today's standards. When I jumped into 4, I found the game to be something very obtuse and not intuitive to my mind. I left it behind pretty quickly.

Now I bought 5 in March and have been having an ok time with it even though I do agree that it is pretty difficult. I haven't touched it in a month in a half however because it dawned on me I don't really like any of the characters that are out and the transparency of Capcom letting us know what's coming and when is abysmal.

I hope I find value in it over time. Right now, it's not something that sounds fun to jump back into as a casual player.

Terrell

So is there a win rate where casual players would be OK with not losing? I hear a lot of "I go online and get crushed, I wish there were more casual players" so you can what? Crush them? Go 50/50? What is this imaginary level of competition that not only Capcom, but the entire FGC should tailor itself around every individual player? It is being a sore loser because if that player was winning, they wouldn't be complaining that there are too many casuals.

I at least get the arcade mode comments. I don't personally buy that they would lead to more people sticking around (look at MKX), but more content is better than less without a doubt.
Spoken like someone in the FGC. Your people should be proud.

Look, people can tell when they're completely out of their league. There's a difference between just losing and knowing you have absolutely no chance of winning without extreme dedication.

Your statement is like putting a yellow belt into the Kumite from the movie Bloodsport and saying they're a "sore loser" because they knew, CLEARLY, that they didn't have a fucking chance.

Uthred

Online play just makes everything more competitive... just human nature.. look at starcraft or even cod

I suppose its a testament to the increased quality of online infrastructure that online is now acceptable to the hardcore audience whereas a few years ago it was at best a poor alternative to local play. I'd love to invest the time to "git gud" but living in a country where the online infrastructure outside major population hubs is an embarrassment means that its not going to happen. Just cannot abide lag in a fighting game. If I'm going to be terrible I wan't to be terrible in realtime! ;)

I was kind of you OP until recently actually. It helps when you have at least one person to play locally with. I had always been a super casual Street Fighter and fighting game fan, but none of my friends growing up were that into fighters (besides Smash), so I'd play them for a short amount of time and then stop, regardless of their single player content.

I think local competition is essential, its the best kind of incentive to keep playing the game.

Apparently you heard it but failed to understand it, there's a difference between losing and being "crushed". Is it really so hard to grasp that people dont mind losing but might mind being entirely out of their depth? There are different ways to lose and some are more, or in this case significantly less, fun than others. The "imaginary level of competition" is you know, a level of actual competition. On the plus side, you compounded missing the point with the most uncharitable interpretation of the problem. It has little or nothing to do with winning or losing, but how you win or lose.

Well, then the way the genre is heading might not be for you. When I say casual, I mean there are people that do group matches vs AI in LoL from time to time cause they can, etc. Or there are more modes where it's like "hey, there's a single player challenge out in (insert content model), go do it for a reward" type stuff. It's pretty common in most of these MP community driven games. Sometimes it is good content too, I had a blast doing the co op stuff for the latest CSGO operation.

If periodical or community driven content is something you can't do, I don't know what to tell you. Devs pumping out fighting games with the old model will still be a thing, so go enjoy those. The meat of the genre will more than likely need to move elsewhere though, so it is what it is. I'm just basing it off what I know of how the FGC works and how every other major competitive genre has gone in recent years.

Personally I really don't see the genre heading this way. All the fighting games I've purchased or played in the last few years, (KI, MKX, Ultimax, GG XRD, TTT2, Skullgirls, and I'll assume KOF IV will be the same), have all had plenty of single player content to justify my day one, full priced purchase. It's really just SFV that completely dropped the ball content wise, and sales numbers and reviews showed that clearly they screwed up. Also, fighting games have always been as much a single player experience as a mutliplayer one, while the same definitely can't be said for LoL or CSGO, so for me at least the comparisons just don't hold up as well. I could see the FGC trying to emulate those competitive scenes though, so I can agree with you there.

I would totally be up for stuff like single player challenges that you mentioned, or even for casual online community stuff; as long as there is some content I can enjoy on my own as well. I just don't see devs abandoning the content that has been in this genre for the past 2+ decades; solely because so far they haven't, and the one big release that did got lambasted for it. SFV will probably just be a bit of a anomaly in the grand scheme of things.

Rutger

Banned
Mechanically it's easy. Dealing with rushdown online with crazy and unique character archetypes even faster than in SFV is not easy to deal with. I love GG, but that and any niche title with a hardcore community is even worse. Ditto for KoF. Mechanically, nothing is easier to play than UMVC3. Try playing that against anyone half way decent if you're only casual.

Yes, fighting people above one's level can be a nightmare in GG, and I said finding another player at a beginner's level isn't easy.
But I still think it's easier to get into than a lot of people say. At the very least, a beginner doesn't need to learn a long combo with tight links to be able to still get things done.

ShinMaruku

I am going to have to disagree on this. While some arguments are sound, I think you are reaching for the wrong conclusions.

First, recently we have seen a lot of modes and tutorials made to include new players in the fighting game genre. Skullgirls have an awesome tutorial. Guilty Gear Xrd also has a great tutorial. Almost every single fighter in the market has a basic tutorial that covers basic knowledge for the genre and system knowledge for the title/series.

Also, every game has a challenge mode that it's mostly used to teach BnB combos that people can use to win matches. BnBs are easy to execute, often do good damage and there are usually many moments where they can be used.

Then there's also other modes where you can practice alone. Story, survival, medal, arcade, etc. Basically where you can take all your knowledge and apply against the CPU before trying to play with people, which I think it's the ultimate objective.

However, since there are so many tools now for new players to learn, the beginner level of playing also went up. I can usually find new players playing SF V and they are much, much better than I was when I started SF II. They can combo, they have some idea of spacing and they already know that jump hk and then cr.hk isn't a reliable tactic.

That said, there always comes a time where the player itself has to invest in the game, by him or herself, in order to improve. Practicing combos or learning and asking about match-ups or seeing some new kind of strategy about your character. Everyone, even pros, eventually hit a wall and have to adapt in order to improve. I feel that a lot of people hit this wall, but are never taught what to do with it. Hell, most times the own person doesn't have the answer.

Everyone, eventually, grows within a game. Ideally, every fighter would have a player pool representing all levels of skill, but even those players eventually grow in execution and knowledge, even if they remain in the same beginner rank. I think it's more of a characteristic of the fighting genre itself when compared to shooters or MOBAs, you don't have anyone to rely on. It's you against another person and that's it.

The tutorial aspects of the genre have improved by a lot, but I feel that there's a limit on how much you can allow them to keep the training wheels, especially if they eventually want to play online. Eventually, the player will have to train by himself and maybe that's where people aren't getting prepared to.
Teaching in the way I'm talking about is more than just training mode, those training modes while fine are really shown how good they are when you have a vocabulary to build wit.

A fresh beginner will not be properly taught how to scale just with that, they need some ques in game with the system that can show where they can improve, there also needs to be a large enough pool so people can fall into their skill buckets and there are other things that we just don't know yet, so that is where I am going with teaching.

And yes the real bottleneck is playing and enjoying yourself enough to just learn playing against other people, that is a huge shackle on a fighting game's appeal. The preparing people to do the training is where the breakthrough will have to occur.

MrCarter

Casuals strike back - Part 3. I know there's been "issues" with casuals trying to get into SFV but doesn't this game provide many more things than what an classic arcade did back in the 90's? It has one of the best training modes in Street Fighter for casuals to practice set-ups, combos and get a feel of the mechanics, it has a tutorial and walk through mode for every character, it has a challange mode where you can practice 10 bread and butter combos, a survival mode which basically acts like an arcade mode as you play against AI and a VS mode.

Yeah, the online could be better but since it has a some offline components (with more coming at a later date) there is no excuse of "casuals" not getting better at the game, especially when we are in a world where all media and information is handed to us on a plate via online platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Forums and Apps - with tons and tons of tutorials. I know it sounds mean, but pandering to these so called casuals who play only an hour here and there isn't the main demographic Capcom (or even other companies) are trying to ultimately target and if they do want to get better then all the tools are there.

TheYanger

You're wrong. Sorry. Yes, single player is not the BEST way to increase 'concurrent users' but single player isn't designed to do that. Single player is for people who literally do not want to buy the fucking game without a basic arcade mode and will never go online in the first place. It's not as if there are monthly fees or something for capcom to care if you play online, if you buy the game nad play 0 matches on the internet it has no effect on their bottom line, so why would they be concerned about that. I'm sure people ALSO leave because of matchmaking problems, but casual players don't even enter the mix in the first place because the game isn't offering the modes it has always offered and now does not.

Even someone like me, also 33 like the OP, would play arcade plenty, when I'm alone, and play local vs with friends at parties or something. That's it. I would NEVER go online. It's not appealing to me to improve at the game in that sense, none of my friends are at that level, so why would any of us care about that? We can have fun playing against each other (and in my experience I've never actually met a person in REAL life that was at that level in fighting games to where thingsl ike footsies even matter, that's how small the FGC community is [though it's obviously grown thanks to twitch exposure]).

Casuals strike back - Part 3. I know there's been "issues" with casuals trying to get into SFV but doesn't this game provide many more things than what an classic arcade did back in the 90's? It has one of the best training modes in Street Fighter for casuals to practice set-ups, combos and get a feel of the mechanics, it has a tutorial and walk through mode for every character, it has a challange mode where you can practice 10 bread and butter combos, a survival mode which basically acts like an arcade mode as you play against AI and a VS mode.

Yeah, the online could be better but since it has a some offline components (with more coming at a later date) there is no excuse of "casuals" getting better at the game, especially when we are in a world where all media and information is handed to us on a plate via online platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Forums and Apps - with tons of tutorials. I know it sounds mean, but pandering to these so called casuals who play only an hour here and there isn't the main demographic Capcom (or even other companies) are trying to ultimately target and if they do want to get better then all the tools are there.

If you think 'casuals' are interested in the least in setting up a practice mode situation to practice their combos in situations X Y and Z...you have no idea what a casual is frankly.

Casual doesn't mean 'low skill' (Although that is likely true), it means they have NO INTEREST AT ALL in putting that kind of effort into engaging with that part of the game. It would be fine not to have that stuff if this weren't the like 10th game in the series that has always had them, in a genre where literally every single game for 30 years has had things like a basic 'vs cpu' arcade mode. Maybe SF5 is a new vanguard of fighting games stripping out all-non multiplayer functionality, but based on the reception and sales I'm gonna say no, it isn't.

Crayon

Yeah, the online could be better but since it has a some offline components (with more coming at a later date) there is no excuse of "casuals" getting better at the game, especially when we are in a world where all media and information is handed to us on a plate via online platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Forums and Apps - with tons of tutorials. I know it sounds mean, but pandering to these so called casuals who play only an hour here and there isn't the main demographic Capcom (or even other companies) are trying to ultimately target and if they do want to get better then all the tools are there.

That's all good stuff but the problem is you have to put yourself in the shoes of someone who's never had a taste of what the game is really about. It's like just a bunch of materials and maybe even a blueprint but they don't even know what they're trying to build.

kiguel182

SFV was my first fighting game. And altought I wish the game had taken off and had more casual players I still have a blast getting my ass kicked online.

Playing offline is something I have less interest in because a human player is just so much more interesting. Shame that I'm terrible at it.

Lothars

Capcom's pushing away of the casual types eventually going to cost Street Fighter its head.

Arguably that's already happened.
I don't agree they can definitely get casual people back in with the right offering such as better single player modes. The series is far from dead.

FSLink

Banned
Spoken like someone in the FGC. Your people should be proud.

Look, people can tell when they're completely out of their league. There's a difference between just losing and knowing you have absolutely no chance of winning without extreme dedication.

Your statement is like putting a yellow belt into the Kumite from the movie Bloodsport and saying they're a "sore loser" because they knew, CLEARLY, that they didn't have a fucking chance.

He worded it awfully and douchey yes, but to be fair, how do you develop an online system to pair up people of similar rank outside of win rate/points/whatever? Right now it's probably more effed up due to the servers' issues, but generally it's pair up with similar rank + good connection speed and if can't find someone that's similar rank, pair up with anybody else.

IMO if it were up to me, I'd develop the Capcom Fighters Network to be a one stop hub. Like a mix of Miiverse + intergrated tutorials and Youtube that people can upload and contribute to. Make it easier to find communities of similar skill level. Be able to join a "Ryu" community and share tips, bnbs, matchup stuff in-game without having to dig through Youtube and pages of Shoryuken forums. From there it'd be easier for people to ease into casual unranked matches, and maybe after winning x amount of matches you get put into ranked.

Yeah, the online could be better but since it has a some offline components (with more coming at a later date) there is no excuse of "casuals" not getting better at the game, especially when we are in a world where all media and information is handed to us on a plate via online platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Forums and Apps - with tons and tons of tutorials. I know it sounds mean, but pandering to these so called casuals who play only an hour here and there isn't the main demographic Capcom (or even other companies) are trying to ultimately target and if they do want to get better then all the tools are there.

Does it matter to capcom if casuals only play the game for a few hours here and there? They're still buying a copy. Why wouldn't they want to sell the game to those people? It worked fine with SF4.

Zee-Row

Banned
Street Fighter V is my biggest regret purchase in a long time. I bought the game without reading impressions because "It's Street Fighter and how can you go wrong?". Other than going online there is nothing to do in that game.

Uthred

That would be more or less the entirety of the OP's point so I feel its not the cutting revelation you think it is. And if you only play for an hour here and there then you aren't a "so called casual", you are by any reasonable definition a casual player. As for there being "no excuse" for casual's not getting better at the game, there's no excuse needed because casuals probably dont care about getting better at the game, which would mean in a game focused purely on improving ones skill and bereft of traditional single player content there isnt a lot for them to do. I also think that your statement that other companies arent interested in this audience is provably false considering that most other fighting games these days have expanded single player and offline content, not reduced.

Does it matter to capcom if casuals only play the game for a few hours here and there? They're still buying a copy. Why wouldn't they want to sell the game to those people? It worked fine with SF4.

Small population leads to low long tail investment in the form of microtransactions and season pass sales. Capcom don't understand that he longevity of any online game community is determined by the casuals, not hardcores.

eso76

I think that's what happened with most fighters, tbh.
I feel like the genre hasn't tried a new approach, or a substantial evolution, for decades. It hasn't offered enough variety or novelty to attract a new demographic, instead most IP's kept refining, specialising in the same mechanics, catering to the very same audience with each iteration; an audience that I feel gets narrower and narrower.

Design choices in SFV show it was aimed at hardcore fans and tournaments. It's barebones. There was a time when fighters at least tried to attract newcomers by looking spectacular and they were among the best technical showcases for consoles. Devs now know typical tekken and SF pro doesn't really care too much about stuff like the number of stages or graphics.

The world needs a new SF2 to shock the market. Tall order, but not impossible.

leroidys

Small population leads to low long tail investment in the form of microtransactions and season pass sales. Capcom don't understand that he longevity of any online game community is determined by the casuals, not hardcores.

Which is why I fully expect them to go F2P at some point. Sales for the base game are going to plummet at some point, open it up to literally everyone and start making money off of micro transactions a la TF2.

Which is why I fully expect them to go F2P at some point. Sales for the base game are going to plummet at some point, open it up to literally everyone and start making money off of micro transactions a la TF2.

The sales are already abysmal, on PC it basically stopped selling. And I can't imagine it being better on PS4 either, everyone who actually wants to play Street Fighter already has it by now.

Durden77

It was definitely built for people who want to take it at least fairly seriously competitively almosy exclusively in mind. However, I think they've done an absolutely great job with the gameplay to make more people WANT to be competitive with it.

But if you're a purely casual player of it and aren't really looking to go any further, yeah there's like little to nothing catering to that.

Wanted to say thanks for mentioning to just run training mode with normal everything, against AI

Been training for the past hour and it does help, especially with match ups as the AI loves to spam special moves

Top Bottom