• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYTimes does a deep dive on Chicago's violent Memorial Weekend (64 shot/6 killed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/06/04/us/chicago-shootings.html

So contrary to Stephen A Smith, there are prime journalistic outlets putting in that work..

It is Friday night in Chicago, and the Memorial Day weekend is just getting started. The Police Department plans to deploy more than a thousand extra officers to deal with the violence they fear will intensify with the unofficial start of summer.

There is no stopping the gunfire, which comes in bursts and waves, interrupting holiday barbecues, igniting gang rivalries, engulfing neighborhoods, blocks, families.

From Friday evening to the end of Monday, 64 people will have been shot in this city of 2.7 million, six of them fatally. In a population made up of nearly equal numbers of whites, blacks and Hispanics, 52 of the shooting victims are black, 11 Hispanic and one white. Eight are women, the rest men. Some 12 people are shot in cars, 11 along city sidewalks, and at least four on home porches.

It is a level of violence that has become the terrifying norm, particularly in predominantly black and Latino neighborhoods on the South and West Sides. With far fewer residents, Chicago has more homicides than Los Angeles or New York.

In an effort to capture what is happening on Chicago’s streets, and why, The New York Times dispatched a team of reporters, photographers and videographers to virtually all of the shooting scenes across the city. Working around the clock through the three-day weekend, The Times interviewed relatives, witnesses, police officers and others, and captured how much violence has become a part of the city’s fabric. The Times intends to follow the cases throughout the year.

This weekend, among the six killed are a father, Garvin Whitmore, who loved to travel but was scared of riding on roller coasters; and Mark Lindsey, whose outsize personality brought him his nickname, Lavish. The oldest person struck by a bullet is 57. The youngest person to die is Ms. Lopez, a high school student and former cheerleader.

Excellent reporting in a day in age where people lament for better reporting. More at the link.

zelas

I think he was concerned more about the level of coverage the gorilla was getting compared to coverage the uptick in violence in chicago has gotten, not that there wasn't any coverage at all.

Brinbe

Such a fucking sad read. =(

Kudos to the NYT for this. Excellent and thoroughly necessary journalism.

J2 Cool

Excellent and important reporting. Just a heartbreaking read. The kid watching his friends last snapchat is just crushing

iamblades

It is beyond time that we end the drug war that is funding this violence through black market profits.

The violence will never end until the motivating factor at the root of it is addressed.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Hell of an article. Excellent use of video footage and time stamps.

What a horrible reality to live with. Now if only we had sensible fucking gun laws nationwide eh?

No one knows what to do so it stops being news, unfortunately.

Nationalized gun laws to affect the states around Chicago. Those guns are coming from somewhere and I doubt it's from Chicago itself.

Hell of an article. Excellent use of video footage and time stamps.

What a horrible reality to live with. Now if only we had sensible fucking gun laws nationwide eh?

Nationalized gun laws to affect the states around Chicago. Those guns are coming from somewhere and I doubt it's from Chicago itself.

A lot do come from within Illinois itself, but more than half come from outside the state according to this infographic from the NYT in 2013.

Brinbe

It's not even strictly about drugs. It's a combination of so many things. Lack of respect, never-ending turf wars, gloating on social media, real lack of education/opportunity, poverty, deeply segregated communities, inherent distrust of the police in affected communities, lax gun laws in surrounding states like Indiana, lax illegal possession laws (they even mention in the piece it's only about 18 months and they've resisted attempts to lengthen that), an ingrained gun culture/need to strap up for your own protection.

They need to start paying real attention and start really investing in these areas, especially in terms of education, but even that's not an overnight fix. This will take generations.

antonz

One of the biggest issue's Chicago has is its unwillingness to confront Gangs in a much more forceful manner. Gang Violence makes up the vast majority of Gun Violence committed and back in 2012 it was already estimated up to 150,000 people in Chicago were apart of up to 100 different gangs.

Of course when its gangbangers killing gangbangers you get a subset of people who do not care but I am sure a healthy percentage do not care for the simple fact its black on black violence. Chicago is undergoing similar conditions that used to plague New York City but New York took Gang violence very serious and came down on it like the Wrath of God.

Abounder

Banned
It's not even strictly about drugs. It's a combination of so many things. Lack of respect, never-ending turf wars, gloating on social media, real lack of education/opportunity, poverty, deeply segregated communities, inherent distrust of the police in affected communities, lax gun laws in surrounding states like Indiana, lax illegal possession laws (they even mention in the piece it's only about 18 months and they've resisted attempts to lengthen that), an ingrained gun culture/need to strap up for your own protection.

They need to start paying real attention and start really investing in these areas, especially in terms of education, but even that's not an overnight fix. This will take generations.

Yessir. Gangs make more money in a week on the street than any legal job they could apply for, add in the vicious cycle of revenge-killing and we got ourselves Chicago.

Pretty amazing that the country pushed Chicago to host the Summer Olympics...I know it's a big city but makes you wonder what kind of goon squads would have been enforced

Paltheos

Fun quote, among many:

NYT said:
The Chicago Police have regularly seized more illegally possessed guns than New York or Los Angeles. People arrested here generally face a one-year minimum sentence for illegal possession. But efforts to make the laws more like New York’s, which mandate a three-and-a-half-year minimum sentence for an illegal, loaded weapon, have so far failed in the state legislature, and Chicago’s bans on handgun ownership and on gun sales have been struck down by the courts in recent years.

Also of note is that Chicago apparently saw 470 homicides last year, and 2800 calls were made to the police to report gunfire.
The people allegedly have a bad relationship with the CPD too, unfortunately, making crime-solving quite a task.

iamblades

Drugs(the black market really, but in this case it is mostly drugs) provide the funding and the incentive for the violence though.

Sure there are other structural and social issues that feed into the problem, but there are plenty of places with those same issues where you don't see the mass level of violence because there is no incentive for it.

Black market profits are one hell of an incentive for violence.

Guevara

I really will never get why this isn't the number one issue in America.

It's not the entire American violence problem, but gang/intercity violence definitely seems like the major share.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah im just now hearing about this. But i heard about that gorilla from everybody and their grandma.

Geez.

entremet

It's not the entire American violence problem, but gang/intercity violence definitely seems like the major share.

Because it really doesn't affect the majority of Americans. It's pretty much self contained to undesirable locales.

I'd like to know the median household income in those areas of Chicago. It's probably not much.

Anyone at the average or above (55k I believe) has probably peaced out.

edit: found something:

Many of the poorer census tracts lie in the city of Chicago, and not surprisingly, are also areas that suffer from high crime rates. Austin, on the city's Far West Side, is one of the city's most dangerous neighborhoods, with more than 34 homicides in 2012 and 29 homicides in 2011. According to Rich Blocks, Poor Blocks, census tract 2519, in the heart of South Austin, has a median household income of $18,818, compared with a statewide median income range of $48,000 to $59,000.

Median household income (that's everyone in that household) is 18k?

Jeez.

Gallbaro

Banned
How do you destroy the culture/violence cycle of these communities? Do you close the schools and start busing children out-of-there?

norm9

What can be done? I think it's such a difficult situation that involves so many things, that a lot of people don't know where to start.

Because the victims and neighborhoods affected are black and Latino. If this was happening in North Chicago, you can bet your ass something would be done about it.

Gallbaro

Banned
Because the victims and neighborhoods affected are black and Latino. If this was happening in North Chicago, you can bet your ass something would be done about it.

Nothing would happen, white people who have benefited from generations of inherited wealth would simply move, as has happened time-and-time-and-time-and-time again.

While only a part of the problem, Sandy hook was largely against white kids and nothing really happened.

LosDaddie

Banned
Horrifying situation.

Chicago has been like this for as long as I can remember. Nobody seems to know how to solve this problem.

Godamn, I never thought that a Snapchat could make me cry but that one of the happy guy getting his dreads cut off and knowing that he's now gone, I was in tears. :(

Nothing would happen, white people who have benefited from generations of inherited wealth would simply move, as has happened time-and-time-and-time-and-time again.

While only a part of the problem, Sandy hook was largely against white kids and nothing really happened.

That is also sadly true. But white people do irrationally love their guns, so it's not surprising. which also helps highlight the problem as to why nothing is done to restrict guns in general: with the exception of mass shootings, blacks are more likely to be the victims of gun violence, while middle-and-upper-class whites are generally not affected by it, and so they don't care.

I remember watching an ESPN programme back in February for Black History Month, and they were talking to a member of the Chicago Bulls about their campaign addressing gun violence, and he begins talking about how people associated with the Blackhawks were more reluctant to address the issue because it generally doesn't affect them or their fans, so their was less impetus to tackle it.

dark_chris

Gold Member
- schools closing
- not a lot of extracurricular activities for those youngsters in those neighborhoods.
- not a lot of job opportunities in those neighborhoods
- Gangs not really caring for other people's lives and shooting them, even on lake shore drive. They really don't and I've encountered gang members where they will kill anyone just minding their business because they don't care about anyone.
- incompetent government
- there's a ban on gun sales but not in indiana which is just a short drive away
- trauma centers and hospitals are far away in the south and west sides of the city.
- constant raising of taxes. Tax this and tax that. Tax tax tax! Tax just went up to 10.25% this year and already talks about raising it again.
- mayor closing programs that actually help people.

I lived in Chicago all my life and ive seen how things are changing around, especially those neighborhoods

Gallbaro

Banned
- schools closing
- not a lot of extracurricular activities for those youngsters in those neighborhoods.
I lived in Chicago all my life and ive seen how things are changing around, especially those neighborhoods

At what point do you say the neighborhood(s) is rotten and the inhabitants dispersed? I doubt throwing money into the neighborhood will fix anything.

- schools closing
- Gangs not really caring for other people's lives and shooting them, even on lake shore drive. They really don't and I've encountered gang members where they will kill anyone just minding their business because they don't care about anyone.
- incompetent government
- there's a ban on gun sales but not in indiana which is just a short drive away
- trauma centers and hospitals are far away in the south and west sides of the city.
- constant raising of taxes. Tax this and tax that. Tax tax tax! Tax just went up to 10.25% this year and already talks about raising it again.
- mayor closing programs that actually help people.

Is it some clockwork orange shit going on? Just to kill for the hell of it? Where I am from guns are mostly for intimidation never known anyone to straight up kill someone for no reason. That sounds like a fucking nightmare.

Gallbaro

Banned
Everything is reversible.

Everything is reversible but a poverty cycle spanning centuries that creates, and is reinforced, by symptoms such as malnutrition, increased exposure to toxic metals, and generally an increased presence of shit neighbors and neighborhood norms, pretty much makes it an incredibly difficult task to perform in neighborhood.

Basically I am a huge fan of busing current elementary school students for the entirety of their matriculation and begin the process of closing down local schools.

Lead

Banned
What good does it do to keep blaming gunlaws when it's terrifyingly obvious that there's other variables in play here?

I can guarantee that there's several states or even just other places within Illinois that have nowhere near the same amount of homicides or attempted homicide as Chicago does.

It's poverty and inequality above all else that takes this many lives.

Beartruck

This is not something that is easily solvable. Chicago, despite being a liberal city, is massively segregated. Until things like this start happening in the loop or the north side (aka white areas) people won't care.

Brinbe

I mean, are there any liberal cities that aren't segregated? Seems like every city's got one neighborhood that might be a good mix, but every other section has a certain race that makes up most of the demographics.

Not like Chicago... NYT did a piece on this too.

Whether exacerbated by gangs or guns, though, Chicago’s killings are happening on familiar turf: Its poor, extremely segregated neighborhoods on the South and West Sides. And many say that is Chicago’s real violence issue.

“Where do gangs come from? They tend to take root in the very same neighborhoods that drive these other problems,” said Robert J. Sampson, a professor at Harvard and the author of “Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect.” “You can’t divorce the gang problem from the problem of deep concentrations of poverty.”

“What predicts violent crime rates is concentrated poverty and neighborhood disadvantage, and what determines concentrated poverty is high levels of black segregation combined with high levels of black poverty,” said Douglas S. Massey, a sociology professor at Princeton University.

In Chicago, homicide rates correspond with segregation. While many areas have few or no killings, the South and West Sides are on par with the world’s most dangerous countries, like Brazil and Venezuela, and have been for many years.

But segregation in New York is nothing like in Chicago: The perfectly isolated neighborhood – where every man, woman and child is the same race – is rare in New York. Less than one percent of the population lives in such areas, and most of them are white. In Chicago, 12 percent of the black population is in a census block group that is 100 percent black.

Racially segregated minority neighborhoods have a long history of multiple adversities, such as poverty, joblessness, environmental toxins and inadequate housing, Professor Sampson said. In these places, people tend to be more cynical about the law and distrust police, “heightening the risk that conflictual encounters will erupt in violence.”

“The major underlying causes of crime are similar across cities, but the intensity of the connection between social ills and violence seems to be more persistent in Chicago,” Professor Sampson said. “You don’t get that kind of extensive social and economic segregation in many other cities.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom