• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Chicago Cops Shoot Teen and Call Him a ‘B**** A** Motherf*****’

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriGuy

Stealing a car and initiating a police chase is pretty bad, but it's not a capital offense. I don't how these guys thought they were being shot at either, absent the suspect brandishing a gun, or you know, even facing them.

Two Words

Can't watch the video atm, but even if the shooting was 100% justifiable, any cop that shoots somebody and makes racially-specific insults has got to go. You can't have officers that think that way on your force.

While specifics of training vary from state to state, the police academy course in the US averages about 6 months.

In the EU it varies from country to country and I'm unable to find exact details, but from everything I heard it's several times longer, in some countries lasting up to 3 years.

[EDIT]
One more thing, US courts have ruled that you can be too smart to be a cop.
Six months? For a regular officer? Over here it is three years of school to become an actual main officer. Year and a half for a surveillance police officer. During training you don't get to have a gun while on the street.

Velcro Fly

Also keep in mind Illinois does not have the death penalty, so basically no crime he could have committed would have ever ended up with the prosecution seeking the death penalty.

Shooting at the car in a residential neighborhood is disgusting. Killing this kid for basically stealing a car and being in a chase is disgusting.

I knew when I heard about it this would be bad too.

Also shooting into a moving vehicle is a huge no-no almost everywhere. Shooting at a vehicle when the vehicle is the only source of threat is also a no-no. The shit you see on TV/movies is NOT what procedure is SUPPOSED to be.

gamerMan

Chicago's department policy on the use of deadly force to prohibit officers from firing at or into a moving vehicle when the vehicle is the only force used against the sworn member or another person. [Though officers have a] right to defend themselves if they or someone else were in imminent danger of being struck by the car.

It will be interesting how the policy is reviewed. I guess you would have to show that the cops were in danger of being struck by the car otherwise the cops that fired their gun should lose their job. The cops did say that the suspect almost ran over their partner.

I don't know what's going to happen to the cop that shot the suspect as this was not justified given the suspect was not armed. To me it seemed like he had doubts whether the suspect was armed and should have never fired his weapon. Because things happened so quick, I think the officer made too many assumptions.

molnizzle

I think fear and adrenaline completely overrode any rational thought there, which means they need better training.

"Better training" won't override fear and adrenaline once bullets start flying. Better training gives you the muscle memory to perform under that pressure, it doesn't make you immune to it.

This situation is 100% the fault the first officer who opened fire on the vehicle without cause. You can't really blame any of the officers who reacted after that. When you're in a high-speed chase and you start hearing gunshots, you're gonna shoot "back."

Unfortunately the officers will probably band together to protect the motherfucker who started shooting in the first place. I doubt that justice will be served.

krazen

Yeah, and that is fine. I totally agree with everything you are saying. I just was taken aback by everyone getting angry at the suggestion that stealing the car and getting into a high speed chase didn't play a role in what happened. I could be totally misreading that, and that is what I was trying to understand.

It doesnt though.

Crime will ALWAYS happen, if that wasnt the case, we wouldnt need cops. The cops job is to maintain law and order and descalate situations. He started the chain of events by commiting a crime but that's business as usual; cars get stolen all the time. What is unusual is the fact we had a Michael Bay shootout, in a neighborhood, against someone unarmed with no cops in danger. Starting off with, "Well he shouldn't have commited a crime then" type of thinking doesnt hold people liable.

If I do something stupid and end up in the hospital and the doctor completely fucks up and kills me, its not like they can say "Well, he shouldnt have gotten hurt in the first place!" lol.

Lucini

Banned
Shouldn't be stealing cars.

His death is unfair. But an individual has to make better decisions with their life. No matter how dire the living conditions are. You gotta rise above it.

As an AA, I know the system is working against me.

This is a load of shit right here.

Make better decisions doesn't apply to the people shooting at the teenager? The car is stopped and he's crashed. They clearly didn't have any idea what was going on, so if it's not outright murder, then it's criminally negligent homicide to fire that many shots at an unarmed, fleeing suspect. Come on with that "Make better decisions" nonsense.

SeanC

For some (white) people it'll be "whelp, he shouldn't have committed a crime" and that's the end of it. Just like all the other times it's happened.

This is a load of shit right here.

Make better decisions doesn't apply to the people shooting at the teenager? The car is stopped and he's crashed. They clearly didn't have any idea what was going on, so if it's not outright murder, then it's criminally negligent homicide to fire that many shots at an unarmed, fleeing suspect. Come on with that "Make better decisions" nonsense.

We already know almost every PD has systemic issues. Only way to combat that is to make better life decisions.

You can't say fuck the police. Then put yourself in positions like this. You just gotta be real.

I'm capable of being real on all fronts.

Maximus.

Cops are too trigger happy, no reason to shoot at someone who stole a car unless it was used as a weapon or they could confirm there was a gun. Such madness.

Mesousa

Banned
We already know almost every PD has systemic issues. Only way to combat that is to make better life decisions.

You can't say fuck the police. Then put yourself in positions like this. You just gotta be real.

100%

Only way we beat this system is by being smarter. The police want kids like the one killed because he gives them free reign to take them out. Be Smarter, and you begin to take the upper hand from them.

kadath

Banned
according to the article he "rammed a Chicago police squad car just before he was shot in the back and killed"

Edit: the Chicago Times website has multiple bodycam streams edited together.

He rams several police vehicles, the last one hard enough that the camera glitches out, and smoke starts to pour of out of the engine.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ting-paul-oneal-video-met-20160805-story.html

(at about 1:50)

Great collection of footage there, really sheds light on the situation at large.

His death is unfair. But an individual has to make better decisions with their life. No matter how dire the living conditions are. You gotta rise above it.

Yeah, you know, like not being a retard who shoots unarmed people? They certainly should make better decisions about their lives. Quit police if you are incompetent and can't do your job properly.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
He didn't shoot at the cops, but he did run a car into them. Not that he deserved to be shot, but he didn't put himself in a good situation.

Crazy to see the cops shooting wildly around a neighborhood like that...

These people should probably not be cops.

Brinbe

Absolutely abhorrent. Police drastically need reform. They're rapidly losing all trust with shit like this. If not for Dallas it would be even worse.

The clips do not show the actual fatal shooting that happened in a backyard, but the devices record the sounds of about four more shots.

The fatal shot itself was not captured on video, department officials said, even though the officer who chased and shot O'Neal was wearing a body camera. Department officials have not said why the camera did not record the shooting.

OF FUCKING COURSE... SMFH

Anarion07

Okay so another video on LiveLeak actually shows the kid almost running over a cop, who then opens fire.
He did ram the car, but a car the cop just got out of and barely got away.

devilhawk

Not able to see a liveleak video at work, but if the kid actually narrowly missed running over a cop, there isn't going to be much to debate. The cops could get fired for breaking department protocol, but no jury would ever convict a cop after an attempted vehicular homicide.

I'm actually really surprised that in the state, ramming other cars isn't a justifiable reason to shoot the driver.

Or is that just police?
I am actually wondering if a normal citizen would even be prosecuted for shooting at a driver that was intentionally and repeatedly ramming their car at yours. With the different types of self-defense laws in many states, I am seriously wondering.

*Edit: If he was no longer in the car, that would change things, as he essentially unarmed himself from his vehicular weapon.

Lucini

Banned

He was out of the car and not armed when the shots were fired. Any other ethnicity, and we are talking about sentencing. It's not about saying "fuck the police" its about the easy out statements like yours gives to people who don't see the wrong at all. The kid committed a crime, but as we've established over and over and over again...that doesn't justify killing him instead of arresting him.

Anarion07

He was out of the car and not armed when the shots were fired. Any other ethnicity, and we are talking about sentencing. It's not about saying "fuck the police" its about the easy out statements like yours gives to people who don't see the wrong at all. The kid committed a crime, but as we've established over and over and over again...that doesn't justify killing him instead of arresting him.

But what about really almost running over a cop with your car?
i'm not trying to defend anything, just really wondering what that "justifies"

bman94

For some (white) people it'll be "whelp, he shouldn't have committed a crime" and that's the end of it. Just like all the other times it's happened.

I'm black. To me it's like bro, you know about all the bullshit that's been going on in this country with black men and police. They don't need a reason to shoot and kill us so don't put yourself in that situation.

You see them getting off Scott free for killing us when we comply, don't do anything wrong and bring unarmed. So if you know all of this, then why do stupid shit? You know the system is fucked and corrupted. You know we automatically are going to be perceived as a threat, so don't put yourself in situations where they have more leverage to do fucked up shit.

The truth if the matter is no matter how much evidence piles up these fucks will get away with it. We see time and time again cops get away with murder. It's like we're target practice for them and they get no repercussions. So don't sit here going down this destructive life style. Doing illegal shit as a black man might as well be a death sentence at this point. We gotta protect ourselves cause the Justice system isn't. We can't sit here and make foolish mistakes. We can do the right things and still take the L, so I'm just saying like Spike Lee said, "Do the right thing".

I'm gonna catch flak for this post, but fuck it, that's how I feel in this situation. Is it right? Fuck no, but we as a people have taken our Injustices and made it work for us.

TheFatOne

The only thing it justifies is continued police chase unless the person is actively shooting at the officers with a weapon.

TheFatOne

But isn't that attempted (possibly lethal) assault with a vehicle?

I mean the Chicago pd already has a rule in place for this scenario. According to them they cannot fire shots at a moving vehicle for obvious reasons. You are in a neighborhood. A bystander can easily be shot if you are not careful, and not only that if you shoot an injure the person that is in the car there is a chance he runs someone over or runs into a house as he/she loses control of the car. It's pretty clear. It may vary from place to place, but the rule they have is to not shoot at a moving vehicle unless the person has a weapon and is shooting at them. There is zero justification for what they did.

Edit: The police force is supposed to protect the public. Taking crazy shots at a moving vehicle is the exact opposite of that.

commedieu

Banned
I'm black. To me it's like bro, you know about all the bullshit that's been going on in this country with black men and police. They don't need a reason to shoot and kill us so don't put yourself in that situation.

You see them getting off Scott free for killing us when we comply, don't do anything wrong and bring unarmed. So if you know all of this, then why do stupid shit? You know the system is fucked and corrupted. You know we automatically are going to be perceived as a threat, so don't put yourself in situations where they have more leverage to do fucked up shit.

The truth if the matter is no matter how much evidence piles up these fucks will get away with it. We see time and time again cops get away with murder. It's like we're target practice for them and they get no repercussions. So don't sit here going down this destructive life style. Doing illegal shit as a black man might as well be a death sentence at this point. We gotta protect ourselves cause the Justice system isn't. We can't sit here and make foolish mistakes. We can do the right things and still take the L, so I'm just saying like Spike Lee said, "Do the right thing".

I'm gonna catch flak for this post, but fuck it, that's how I feel in this situation. Is it right? Fuck no, but we as a people have taken our Injustices and made it work for us.

Holy shit Ben carson is on gaf???!?!?!?

The onus isn't on the citizen..it's on the police for deciding execute him. And that's where it always ends. It's obvious that if event a didn't happen, event b wouldn't be the outcome. Event b should never be the outcome, unless an officers life is at immediate rism. that's why people are demanding police reform. This takes nothing from that call.

That's all that can be really said. I'm black, I don't need to victim blame the guy. As I know that if he was white he'd be more likely be arrested. And we all know that here. We shouldn't be put down like dogs, when white folks get lunch and face justice. That's the larger issue. You can't look the other way for due process, even for the dumb.

Police don't have any accountability or proper training. This man's death will hopefully lead to change, eventually. But I'm not about to muddy up his life by saying he should have known he'd get executed.

There is a laundry list of how the police acted without regard for public saftey. Then they execute someone.

Eventually you have to stop blaming women for wearing short skirts, and start condemning the behavior of others.

Two Words

The statement of the officer should be an issue completely on its own to justify getting rid of a cop. Put it this way. The man who was killing police officers in Dallas a few weeks ago was black. If a cop said "Fucking black people!!" after killing that man, I think that cop should be arrested. Racist views should never be allowed to be mixed with a police force.

what i find kinda hilarious, in a how stupid are you kind of way, was when the first cop started shooting, he is shooting almost directly at his partner and also when he is shooting down the street he is shooting at the cop car that eventually crashes into the Jaguar.

Dai101

Banned
He's young, but his death is sort of the consequences of being in a high speed chase with police officers.

giphy.gif

100%

Only way we beat this system is by being smarter. The police want kids like the one killed because he gives them free reign to take them out. Be Smarter, and you begin to take the upper hand from them.

They kill people who are complying anyways.

Does "be smarter" apply there as well?

This idea of throwing your hands up and starting with condemnation of the smaller problem versus the larger one is rather perplexing.

Eventually you have to stop blaming women for wearing short skirts, and start condemning the behavior of others.

Pretty much this.

It justifies an arrest. Not a murder.

ColdPizza

Banned
"Better training" won't override fear and adrenaline once bullets start flying. Better training gives you the muscle memory to perform under that pressure, it doesn't make you immune to it.

This situation is 100% the fault the first officer who opened fire on the vehicle without cause. You can't really blame any of the officers who reacted after that. When you're in a high-speed chase and you start hearing gunshots, you're gonna shoot "back."

Unfortunately the officers will probably band together to protect the motherfucker who started shooting in the first place. I doubt that justice will be served.

I have to disagree. This is exactly what repeated training does, otherwise the military wouldn't be effective at all.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

The cops murdered him.

Police have sidearms to protect themselves. Not as tools to perform their duties.
When can cops shoot? When someone's life is in immediate danger.

When can civilians shoot? When someone'slife is in immediate danger.

Mesousa

Banned
They kill people who are complying anyways.

Does "be smarter" apply there as well?

This idea of throwing your hands up and starting with condemnation of the smaller problem versus the larger one is rather perplexing.

Its a numbers game. Being smarter gives the person a better chance at survival, thus gives us more people with which we can change the system with.

It isn't a 100% safe choice, but it is a much better choice to give than going out there and giving them an easy shot on you.

Yet another paid vacation coming for officers who murder an unarmed suspect instead of taking them into custody.

Got banned for being smarmy to these replies in the past, so I'll elaborate a bit on this one. I disagree with this. It's important that the officers involved are paid their wages whilst investigations are underway in case some of them are proven to be innocent from wrongdoing during the event. Many of them have families to feed and mortgages to pay, and it's possible that of all the officers you see there, one of them may be totally blameless in his involvement. Also in the past, officers have sued for fairly large sums for having their pay prematurely cut during an investigation without proper justification. (I've seen an officer in my state have his cut during an investigation after pointing his gun at a car for seemingly no reason, because there was video. If no video was available, they wouldn't have).

That said, why the fuck did that officer shoot at that car? He's lucky he didn't shoot the other officer or anyone else. He's lucky the victim didn't get hit and slump over in his seat, sending the car speeding into a building. This is fucking bullshit, and that particular officer definitely needs to go. It's obvious with that angle that the victim wasn't going to ram the other officer. He was way back on the footpath.

Kettch

Not able to see a liveleak video at work, but if the kid actually narrowly missed running over a cop, there isn't going to be much to debate. The cops could get fired for breaking department protocol, but no jury would ever convict a cop after an attempted vehicular homicide.

I am actually wondering if a normal citizen would even be prosecuted for shooting at a driver that was intentionally and repeatedly ramming their car at yours. With the different types of self-defense laws in many states, I am seriously wondering.

*Edit: If he was no longer in the car, that would change things, as he essentially unarmed himself from his vehicular weapon.

He was no longer in the car. He was shot and killed after leaving it and running through some backyards. Apparently in the back, according to the article.

Its a numbers game. Being smarter gives the person a better chance at survival, thus gives us more people with which we can change the system with.

It isn't a 100% safe choice, but it is a much better choice to give than going out there and giving them an easy shot on you.

They need no justification to shoot on us in the first place.

This is the same type of victim blaming that rape victims get. Try rephrasing that argument that us, the frequently slaughtered citizen should correct the police so they can do their job

bman94

Holy shit Ben carson is on gaf???!?!?!?

The onus isn't on the citizen..it's on the police for deciding execute him. And that's where it always ends. It's obvious that if event a didn't happen, event b wouldn't be the outcome. Event b should never be the outcome, unless an officers life is at immediate rism. that's why people are demanding police reform. This takes nothing from that call.

That's all that can be really said. I'm black, I don't need to victim blame the guy. As I know that if he was white he'd be more likely be arrested. And we all know that here. We shouldn't be put down like dogs, when white folks get lunch and face justice. That's the larger issue. You can't look the other way for due process, even for the dumb.

Police don't have any accountability or proper training. This man's death will hopefully lead to change, eventually. But I'm not about to muddy up his life by saying he should have known he'd get executed.

There is a laundry list of how the police acted without regard for public saftey. Then they execute someone.

Fist off, don't compare me to Ben Carson.

Second, I'm not saying what the police did was right at all. Their actions should have never tooken place. And yeah, if it was a white male this would have been a completely different situation. The police is clearly in the wrong here. But what I'm saying we need to look at what the fuck if going on and she shit isn't fair.

Until there is police reform stupid shit like stealing cars only puts into more interactions with the police. C'mon now man, I know you see shit all the time on social media like "Free my man _____" when the person in jail obviously did some stupid and illegal shit. We should mad at police brutality and we rightfully should. The whole system is fucked. And we should get mad when police shoot unarmed black men for no fucking reason. But we shouldn't get mad when people do stupid shit. When Action A (in this case stealing a car) always leads to either Resolution B (Get Away), C (Confrontation with police) why take the risk of performing Action A when Resolution C always leads to Resolution D (Death by police).

We see that police is getting away with this shit so we gotta do things differently even if that means not interacting with the police at all. His death shouldn't have happened at the hands of these police and neither should have many others. I'm not blaming the victim for running or even ramming into the police car cause he problem scared out of his fucking mind and I'm not blaming his death for not complying with the police, which shouldn't ever be a reason for death. I'm saying he shouldn't stolen a car in the first place when he knows that black men are target to the police right now. He knows there will be no justice until something changes and shit like this isn't helping the cause.

And you say that to your personal family members.

As a general statement, it's less than useless.

Are some people here really comparing "stealing a car" to "wearing a short skirt"?

They are attempting to explain that the result of the crime is far beyond the smaller factors that predicated the final result. The problem is the death, not the issues that preceded it.

Even giving those their full weight, the sole truth is: he should not have been shot and killed. Period.

Focusing on anything else dilutes that final result and allows for other situations where even the bare minimum is justification for being shot.

I don't think they should be fired. They were in an extraordinary situation. But they fucked up and should be punished for shooting at a vehicle with a dangerous but unarmed driver. Especially in the manner that they did it, and double that for killing someone unarmed and merely fleeing.

HariKari

He's young, but his death is sort of the consequences of being in a high speed chase with police officers.

Did no one stop to ask LQX what he meant before he got banned? The reason high speed chases are discouraged is because police officers will tell you - they don't have a ton of control afterwards, due to the adrenaline.

The phenomenon is common enough that there’s a name for it: High-Speed Pursuit Syndrome. It’s the “condition” police officers sometimes suffer from during a high-speed chase, when, as an ACLU spokesman once put it, they “get so angry and pumped up, and the adrenaline rush is such that … you see violence visited on suspects at the end of a pursuit.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom