• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

For anyone trying to get back the XBOX voice commands and ditch that Cortana garbage just change the region language to Canada-English and restart and your Xbox voice commands are back. For anyone who hasn't got the update yet, consider yourself lucky!
Does this actually work?

PaulLFC

First time in a few days powering the XB1 on today so I had a mandatory update waiting for me - I've updated but now the Preview Dashboard app isn't working.

It just says "Something went wrong" when trying to launch it. This is when launching via pins, games and apps, through the store or through the Feedback button. None of these work and all result in the same error. I've tried a hard reset and it's still happening. Has anyone else had this happen?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
First time in a few days powering the XB1 on today so I had a mandatory update waiting for me - I've updated but now the Preview Dashboard app isn't working.

It just says "Something went wrong" when trying to launch it. This is when launching via pins, games and apps, through the store or through the Feedback button. None of these work and all result in the same error. I've tried a hard reset and it's still happening. Has anyone else had this happen?

This has been happening a TONNE on my lounge room Xbox which isn't even in the preview program.

I switched to plugging into into the wall instead of a powerboard and the problem appears to be gone.

Xenoflare

If there's a patch for a game available that you're currently installing you can decline the patch. It'll notify you with a pop-up about the availability of the patch.
If you set the system to instant-on mode and enable the option keep your games and apps up-to-date it'll install updates and downloads games when powered off.

I'm not sure, but I think the only reason to ignore these patches before was to disconnect the Xbox.

So in other words, there are ways to ignore these patches before the disc installation is complete, that's what I wanted to hear, thanks

Kadin

Anyone experiencing what I can only describe as stutters or lag in various games? I have Ori and The Division, one installed internally and the other on an external and both seem to have this issue randomly. I'll be playing and then the game stutters for a second or two like it's lagging or the fps drops to 0. Really annoying because then everything speeds up and goes all weird once it corrects itself.

Haven't experienced this with GTAV which is the only other game I've been playing lately on the latest Preview.

MCD

Anyone experiencing what I can only describe as stutters or lag in various games? I have Ori and The Division, one installed internally and the other on an external and both seem to have this issue randomly. I'll be playing and then the game stutters for a second or two like it's lagging or the fps drops to 0. Really annoying because then everything speeds up and goes all weird once it corrects itself.

Haven't experienced this with GTAV which is the only other game I've been playing lately on the latest Preview.

It happened to me with RE5 and DOA5.

I opted out. Way too many bugs and licensing issues.

PaulLFC

This has been happening a TONNE on my lounge room Xbox which isn't even in the preview program.

I switched to plugging into into the wall instead of a powerboard and the problem appears to be gone.
Thanks for the advice, what a bizarre bug - my console is plugged into a multi extension lead too, it'd be a pain to move so I might see if the next update fixes things before I move it.

Caayn

Just gave the new blu-ray app a spin, after 5 minutes I exited it and booted up the "old" blu-ray app. Sound and video are out of sync making a blu-ray unwatchable with the new app.

New update today. They are giving us the option to disable Cortana and use the Xbox voice commands.

HOW TO GET IT

• If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.

• NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.

• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 7/14/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS

OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160710-1722
Available: 6:00PM PDT 7/12 (1:00AM GMT 13/7)

Thanks for helping us test the latest Xbox One update! We’re eager to show off the new features and experiences we’ve been working on. We’ve noted below a few important things to be aware of before you jump in.

• Certain content (games, apps, DLC) purchased in the new Store may only be available on consoles enrolled in the latest Preview update. This means…
• Games purchased on a console running the latest Preview update can only be played on that console or other consoles running the latest Preview update.
• Games purchased via Xbox.com can be played on any console.
• Games purchased on a console running the previous update can be played on any console.

• Certain parental control features aren’t functioning appropriately in the current build. As a result, we encourage users to exercise caution when letting children access a console that is using the latest Xbox One update until these issues are resolved.

• We’ve added several settings that are already found on Windows today. These include SmartScreen Filter, which sends URLs you visit in apps to Microsoft to check against a list of potentially harmful sites, and advertising ID, which helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in Universal Windows Apps. You can choose to turn these off and manage your preferences for how Xbox One uses your information in Settings.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

• Cortana
Thanks for helping us test Cortana on Xbox One! We’ve received tons of excellent usage data and feedback, leading to dozens of improvements. While we continue to train Cortana, if you choose to opt out of Cortana, the “Xbox…” legacy voice command will be enabled.

If you choose to opt-out of Cortana, please be aware of the following:
o Headset voice control support will be disabled.
o Voice dictation will be disabled.
o Universal Windows apps voice features will no longer function.
o Only “Xbox…” legacy voice commands will be recognized.

If you wish to opt-out of Cortana and use the “Xbox…” legacy voice commands, launch the Guide, navigate to All Settings > System > Cortana settings, and flip the first toggle to Off.

At this time we’re also disabling Cortana for France, Italy, Germany, and Spain, as support for these regions was only planned to be available during this preview period. For now, please continue to use and give feedback on the “Xbox…” legacy voice commands in these regions.

FIXES

• Xbox Universal Store
• You can now redeem a 5x5 code for Xbox Live Gold on the console.
• Resolved an issue which caused the Store to fail to display the correct content when using certain language and region combinations.

• Headsets
Resolved an issue which caused no audio or microphone output from a headset when plugged in.

• Netflix
Resolved an issue which could sometimes cause stuttering or framerate lag in Netflix.

• EA Access
• This build contains a fix to address EA Access vault games failing to launch due to error 0xc03f6508. If you encounter any further issues launching EA Access vault games, please submit feedback via Report a problem.
• This build contains a fix to address EA Access vault games failing to launch due to error 0x803f8003. If you encounter any further issues launching EA Access vault games, please submit feedback via Report a problem.

• Notifications
This build contains a fix to address issues with notifications sometimes failing to appear (including for party invites, game invites, and unlocking achievements). If you encounter any further issues with notifications failing to appear, please submit feedback via Report a problem.

• Installation
Resolved an issue which sometimes prevented box art from appearing on games during installation.

• VUDU
You should now be able to buy and rent content from within the VUDU app.

CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES

• Users are able to select their own Gamertag at no charge once per account. After this you will be charged for future Gamertag changes. In the current update, any free Gamertag changes will complete successfully. Attempting to purchase a Gamertag change will charge your account, but will not change your Gamertag. Please avoid purchasing a Gamertag change on Xbox One at this time. To successfully change your Gamertag, visit https://account.xbox.com/ChangeGamertag.
• When selecting “Add new” to add a new profile, the add profile interface may take up to 30 seconds to appear.

• Cortana
• If this is your first time downloading an update which supports Cortana, upon powering on the console, the “Xbox…” legacy voice commands will still be recognized but any actions will fail.
Workaround: Launch Cortana from My games & apps or Snap Cortana from the Guide.
• Cortana may take a longer than expected amount of time to use the play command.
• Searching the Xbox Universal Store via Cortana sometimes causes her to search the same keyword multiple times.
• Cortana may sometimes restart and indicate she is "Warming up..." even after recent use.

• Pins
If you have pins on your Home to movies, TV shows, or music, they will disappear from Home when that app takes its new app update. The pins for the apps will stay on your Home, easy to get to.

• My Games & Apps
You may encounter an error when attempting to load Ready to Install with a large number of digital games and apps.

• Community Calendar
Links to the Store in Community Calendar event details do not currently function.

Alx

They're disabling Cortana in Europe again ? Why did they re-enable it the other day, then ?
Also I was hoping that with the one year delay, we would have official support of the language at release.

I didn't check for a new update but man, the latest build had Halo 5 crashing all the time for me. I was losing the mic too, like it wouldn't recognize the headset plugged in. I had to exit H5 and sometimes restart the console to get it back. It would go in and out when matches were over.

Trup1aya

I feel like I may be in the minority, but Cortana has been amazing for me. No false positives, and since the last build, instantaneous response times. I don't even have to pause to wait for the "listening" prompt. I just say "hey cortana pause" an the video stops BEFORE the recognition text is even displayed.

It's a couple more syllables than "Xbox, pause", but in practice is just as fast and is more reliable.

jmood88

I feel like I may be in the minority, but Cortana has been amazing for me. No false positives, and since the last build, instantaneous response times. I don't even have to pause to wait for the "listening" prompt. I just say "hey cortana pause" an the video stops BEFORE the recognition text is even displayed.

It's a couple more syllables than "Xbox, pause", but in practice is just as fast and is more reliable.
Sounds like you have a magical Kinect, then. It took forever for it to recognize commands and if I wanted a screenshot, I'd have to make sure I was only doing it during a static scene or it would get take a screenshot of the wrong place.

Gestault

With some time (and the more recent update) the Cortana voice commands are getting closer to adequate for me. There's a new cadence to inputting the command, where you say "Hey Cortana [function]" then give a momentary pause, and finish the command. So for example, if you want to select a profile in Netflix, you would say "Hey Cortana, select...Profile 3." Keeping that in mind seems to account for issues I was having.

Those automatic web-searches still need to be eliminated without VERY clear signalling from the user. Snapping in general shouldn't be used like it is when "unsnap" seems to be the least-responsive command.

Sounds like you have a magical Kinect, then. It took forever for it to recognize commands and if I wanted a screenshot, I'd have to make sure I was only doing it during a static scene or it would get take a screenshot of the wrong place.

I can't take their claim of responsiveness at face value. I'm to a point where the voice system overall is usable, but it's not a matter of opinion that there's more delay (and potential for clogged responses) than the previous voice commands. Like their example for "Pause," I have several nights worth of usage to know that barring an inherent difference between our hardware, the pause command has a (slightly) longer-than-before delay.

The stuttering is back with a vengeance on this latest build. Tried to play Alien Isolation and it's like a slideshow version of the game. The last build seemed to fix this issue but it'd back now.

Very frustrating.

Not in the preview program or anything but I just had a question for you guys who are, regarding the dashboard, have you noticed improvements with response? Like, less lag on the UI and such?

I can't decide if I want to disable Cortana or not. Her accuracy has improved for me, but her response time hasn't. If the old Xbox commands are going to be considered legacy, they'll probably not get updates, and maybe even not work for launching newer games, becasue they need the right command built in.

I'm guessing Cortana sending info out across the internet for a lot of command, but I feel like it will never be a suitable replacement for the Xbox commands unless certain command are handled 100% locally. Due to how long it takes to do things, it definitely feels like it's contacting a remote server. If Cortana is ever going to replace "Xbox...", I feel like it's mandatory that it can locally handle common commands like screenshots, record that, play/pause, volume adjustments, and a few others. I could be completely wrong and she's just slow, and not waiting for a response over the internet, but that's definitely how it feels.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With some time (and the more recent update) the Cortana voice commands are getting closer to adequate for me. There's a new cadence to inputting the command, where you say "Hey Cortana [function]" then give a momentary pause, and finish the command. So for example, if you want to select a profile in Netflix, you would say "Hey Cortana, select...Profile 3." Keeping that in mind seems to account for issues I was having.

Those automatic web-searches still need to be eliminated without VERY clear signalling from the user. Snapping in general shouldn't be used like it is when "unsnap" seems to be the least-responsive command.

I can't take their claim of responsiveness at face value. I'm to a point where the voice system overall is usable, but it's not a matter of opinion that there's more delay (and potential for clogged responses) than the previous voice commands. Like their example for "Pause," I have several nights worth of usage to know that barring an inherent difference between our hardware, the pause command has a (slightly) longer-than-before delay.

If they prevented web searching unless you specifically say 'search for' that would help a lot I think.

Why the hell is the only update for Cortana letting you disable it for some and forcibly disabling it for others? They couldn't sneak in one actual improvement for this build? :(

Alx

I can't decide if I want to disable Cortana or not. Her accuracy has improved for me, but her response time hasn't. If the old Xbox commands are going to be considered legacy, they'll probably not get updates, and maybe even not work for launching newer games, becasue they need the right command built in..

I don't think future software would require specific update to be supported by the old "Xbox.." command, it's just looking for the unique name of the software among all installed ones (which is why it stupidly requires to say the full official name "Xbox, go to D4 Dark Dreams Don't Die !").

I'm guessing Cortana sending info out across the internet for a lot of command, but I feel like it will never be a suitable replacement for the Xbox commands unless certain command are handled 100% locally. Due to how long it takes to do things, it definitely feels like it's contacting a remote server. If Cortana is ever going to replace "Xbox...", I feel like it's mandatory that it can locally handle common commands like screenshots, record that, play/pause, volume adjustments, and a few others. I could be completely wrong and she's just slow, and not waiting for a response over the internet, but that's definitely how it feels.

The natural language will certainly always go through distant servers, but I think they already managed to have some specific commands processed locally. The TV channel surfing specifically felt instantaneous even with Cortana.

Kadin

I've had enough of the stuttering to the point where I just registered to remove myself from the preview. What exactly happens once it goes through? Do I get an update to basically go back to the latest public release?

Lima

I've had enough of the stuttering to the point where I just registered to remove myself from the preview. What exactly happens once it goes through? Do I get an update to basically go back to the latest public release?

Yes you get a ~2GB update that is the current dashboard version. It will factory reset the entire console in the process and begin with the initial setup once it is done.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
July 13: New update available for Preview (rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160711-2017)
HOW TO GET IT

• If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.

• NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.

• If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00AM PDT 7/15/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS

OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160711-2017
Available: 6:00PM PDT 7/13 (1:00AM GMT 14/7)

Thanks for helping us test the latest Xbox One update! We’re eager to show off the new features and experiences we’ve been working on. We’ve noted below a few important things to be aware of before you jump in.

• Certain content (games, apps, DLC) purchased in the new Store may only be available on consoles enrolled in the latest Preview update. This means…
• Games purchased on a console running the latest Preview update can only be played on that console or other consoles running the latest Preview update.
• Games purchased via Xbox.com can be played on any console.
• Games purchased on a console running the previous update can be played on any console.

• Certain parental control features aren’t functioning appropriately in the current build. As a result, we encourage users to exercise caution when letting children access a console that is using the latest Xbox One update until these issues are resolved.

• We’ve added several settings that are already found on Windows today. These include SmartScreen Filter, which sends URLs you visit in apps to Microsoft to check against a list of potentially harmful sites, and advertising ID, which helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in Universal Windows Apps. You can choose to turn these off and manage your preferences for how Xbox One uses your information in Settings.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

• Cortana
Thanks for helping us test Cortana on Xbox One! We’ve received tons of excellent usage data and feedback, leading to dozens of improvements. While we continue to train Cortana, if you choose to opt out of Cortana, the “Xbox…” legacy voice command will be enabled.

If you choose to opt-out of Cortana, please be aware of the following:
o Headset voice control support will be disabled.
o Voice dictation will be disabled.
o Universal Windows apps voice features will no longer function.
o Only “Xbox…” legacy voice commands will be recognized.

If you wish to opt-out of Cortana and use the “Xbox…” legacy voice commands, launch the Guide, navigate to All Settings > System > Cortana settings, and flip the first toggle to Off.

At this time we’re also disabling Cortana for France, Italy, Germany, and Spain, as support for these regions was only planned to be available during this preview period. For now, please continue to use and give feedback on the “Xbox…” legacy voice commands in these regions.

FIXES

• Notifications
This build contains additional fixes to address issues with notifications sometimes failing to appear (including for party invites, game invites, and unlocking achievements). If you encounter any further issues with notifications failing to appear, please submit feedback via Report a problem.

CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES

• Blu-Ray Player
When watching a video with the Blu-Ray Player, the screen may dim after a short period of inactivity.

• Movies & TV
When viewing a video in the Movies & TV app, the progress bar may fail to update when playing, rewinding, or fast forwarding.

• Users are able to select their own Gamertag at no charge once per account. After this you will be charged for future Gamertag changes. In the current update, any free Gamertag changes will complete successfully. Attempting to purchase a Gamertag change will charge your account, but will not change your Gamertag. Please avoid purchasing a Gamertag change on Xbox One at this time. To successfully change your Gamertag, visit https://account.xbox.com/ChangeGamertag.
• When selecting “Add new” to add a new profile, the add profile interface may take up to 30 seconds to appear.

• Cortana
• If this is your first time downloading an update which supports Cortana, upon powering on the console, the “Xbox…” legacy voice commands will still be recognized but any actions will fail.
Workaround: Launch Cortana from My games & apps or Snap Cortana from the Guide.

• Pins
If you have pins on your Home to movies, TV shows, or music, they will disappear from Home when that app takes its new app update. The pins for the apps will stay on your Home, easy to get to.

• My Games & Apps
You may encounter an error when attempting to load Ready to Install with a large number of digital games and apps.

• Community Calendar
Links to the Store in Community Calendar event details do not currently function.

MrBenchmark

The stuttering is back with a vengeance on this latest build. Tried to play Alien Isolation and it's like a slideshow version of the game. The last build seemed to fix this issue but it'd back now.

Very frustrating.

are you still using cortana?

after i disabled cortana and restarted everything is fast games everything. remote play to windows 10 working like before too.

Kolgar

Buh-bye, Cortana.

The interminable wait for her to do something while "listening" was enough to aggravate even my girlfriend, who begged me to get rid of "Hey, Cortana..."

Just made the switch. Instant relief and gratification.

Though I am still upset by the laggy dashboard. The past few days, it's been terrible.

Kadin

So I went ahead and unenrolled from Preview and now I'm reading that if you bought any games during Preview, you won't have any access to them for whatever reason.

Sure enough, both GTAV and Ori (bought during the Ultimate Sale 3 days ago) I can no longer play after I went back to the public release after unenrolling. On the phone with support right now and all they said I can do is contact Preview Support via Twitter or the Xbox Forums.

Has anyone dealt with this??

Kingbrave

So I went ahead and unenrolled from Preview and now I'm reading that if you bought any games during Preview, you won't have any access to them for whatever reason.

Sure enough, both GTAV and Ori (bought during the Ultimate Sale 3 days ago) I can no longer play after I went back to the public release after unenrolling. On the phone with support right now and all they said I can do is contact Preview Support via Twitter or the Xbox Forums.

If you bought them from the Xbox while on the preview build then you were on the new unified store and then have to wait for the full update.

I game share with my son and use my portable hard drive and buy from my console and just copy from that and have to wait till the full release to copy some games for him. It sucks but that's the reason.

It's been in all the update notes and part of the preview since the beginning.

You should have read the preview notes before unrolling

Kadin

You should have read the preview notes before unrolling
I love responses like this. Nothing of help and only meant to rub the salt in a little more. Hope it made ya feel good though.

Anyways, at this point I guess I'm just gonna re-enroll back into Preview and hope the issues I was having aren't as bad. So much stuttering in various games and figured what I did would be fine. Obviously I chose wrong.

Lima

I mean it's not like it is the first thing always noted in the patch notes or anything lol.

I love responses like this. Nothing of help and only meant to rub the salt in a little more. Hope it made ya feel good though.

Anyways, at this point I guess I'm just gonna re-enroll back into Preview and hope the issues I was having aren't as bad. So much stuttering in various games and figured what I did would be fine. Obviously I chose wrong.

Chances are you are not going to get back in. I did this last year with the NXOE update and after you opt out you won't be accepted in the current preview again which by the way is also noted when changing your status in the app.

Bsigg12

You're pretty much SOL until you either get back in or the public release drops since the NXOE build doesn't support games in the UWP format that this new build is bringing the games in.

Top Bottom