• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

RoKKeR

Xbox Wire: http://news.xbox.com/2016/06/06/xbox-one-summer-update-preview/
Video preview: YouTube

Starting this summer, Xbox One and the Xbox app will receive the first of two updates that will help you stay connected with friends on Xbox Live and enjoy even more games across your favorite devices. Cortana will come to Xbox One; the Xbox and Windows Stores will start to become unified; we will begin to introduce your top PC games with Game Hubs to Xbox Live, and more. These updates are crucial to giving our fans around the world a great gaming experience wherever and whatever they play.

Xbox One:
1608-2.png
  • Cortana on Xbox One: Cortana is coming to Preview in the U.S., U.K., France, Italy, Germany and Spain first, and gamers can expect the familiar Cortana experience found on other Windows 10 devices. Cortana voice commands on Xbox One will work with both headsets and Kinect. You’ll be able to use Cortana to find great new games, see what your friends are up to, start a party, accomplish common tasks, turn on your Xbox One if you’re using Kinect, and more. We’ll continue to build Cortana features over time and our vision is to use Cortana to help elevate your experience as your personal digital assistant for gaming. Just say “Hey Cortana” or launch the app to get started!
  • New Game Collection: We’re updating the Game Collection interface to make it faster and easier to find and launch the games you’re looking for. Now you’ll be able to see more of your Game Collection, quickly access your own ‘Ready to Install’ tab, and get more information about titles in your queue.
Windows 10:
  • Top PC games show up on Xbox Live: We’re bringing the top PC games like League of Legends and XCOM 2 together with the Xbox Live community. Meaning, your favorite PC games will have their own Game Hubs on Xbox Live. Whether you’re on your PC, Xbox, or mobile phone, you’ll be able to see what PC games your friends are playing, share your own PC gaming clips and screenshots with the community, and message your friends on Xbox Live. On both Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, you‘ll also be able to party chat with your friends no matter what they’re doing.
  • Xbox and Windows Store convergence: We’re starting to combine the best of the Xbox Store and Windows Store to give gamers a single cohesive experience across their devices. On Xbox One, we’ve streamlined the shopping experience to help you find the games you love faster and at the best prices. You’ll be able to filter, browse and search results by genre, read reviews written by fellow gamers – including those voted “most helpful” by the Xbox Live community, easily recognize what titles are on sale with strikethrough pricing in lists, and more. We’ve also added several new channels to help you discover the content you love even faster. On the Windows Store, we’re adding support so gamers can browse and purchase bundles, episodic games, season passes, virtual currency and other game add-ons and DLC.

Much more in the Xbox Wire news post, but these were the highlights.

One step closer to the Xbox/Win10 future.

Caayn

Whoo finally the game library gets an overhaul. Goodbye two rows you'll not be missed.

But where's the hard drive filter in the new game library? I don't see it in the screenshot.

Facebook Friend Finder on Xbox One: Facebook Friend Finder is expanding from the Xbox app to Xbox One and is a great way to find and add your Facebook friends on Xbox. As more gamers link their Facebook and Xbox Live accounts, you’ll start seeing more suggestions for Facebook friends to add and game with on Xbox Live.
Please tell me that you can disable this. It's kinda annoying that the Xbox app keeps asking you to link your account no matter how many times you decline. I don't want this on my XB1 as well.

Noobcraft

I may need a new Kinect. Cortana pls.
Edit: WAIT. "With Cortana, you will get the ability to do voice commands with your headset"!!

RoKKeR

Ok, think I got most of the highlights in the OP. Biggest news IMO is this:

Cortana voice commands on Xbox One will work with both headsets and Kinect.

Has this been confirmed before? I thought it was going to be a Kinect-only feature. Being able to use a headset with Cortana is a great feature.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Nothing here excites me other than the way they sort the games on the xbox.

Vuze

When exactly will the new store be available on Windows 10? I hope it will fix some major issues I'm experiencing with the current one...

Gamezone

Gold Member
Pretty weak. And if it's like Windows Phone and Windows 10, Cortana won't be available here anyway.

Finally no more garbage sideways strip of games. Cortana over headset is good too. A necessary step that has been taken finally.
Proper download progress stats too.

Yoday

The changes to the store sound amazing. I really like the idea of being able to find everything that's on sale in one place.

Kinect officially useless now. Except if you're watching/streaming something and don't have a headset on I suppose. Good on Microsoft for supporting it though.

Pretty weak. And if it's like Windows Phone and Windows 10, Cortana won't be available here anyway.

Microsoft really needs to either include more languages or start allowing us to have local regional store but still use English language in the UI

Games and Apps improvement is so good. Glad to see they've repositioned it on the home-page. Hope it's super snappy.

Only missing TV DVR, and background music now. Is there anything else?

Store unification between Windows and Xbox is interesting. "It's going to let us deliver a lot of great features in the future". Wonder what that means..

Chris1

I wish they'd give us separate tabs for 360 and XB1 games... I was hoping that's what the MG&A update would bring.

Happy Ready to Install has it's own tab though.

jond76

Banned
Kinect officially useless now. Except if you're watching/streaming something and don't have a headset on I suppose. Good on Microsoft for supporting it though.

Its still very useful. I don't have to mess with a controller to use voice commands to watch netflix. I don't get why people don't understand this. Hands free.

The bit about letting you edit gameplay then upload to your Xbox feed is awesome. Might consider upgrading to Windows 10.

Top Bottom