• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breath of the Wild is the official subtitle for Zelda U/NX, first gameplay trailer

They said on the first day it'd only happen the first time you pickup a new item, so I'm pretty sure they have fixed it.

Oh, I am too, but I think that poster I replied to is worried they'll pop up again after you load a saved game.

But yeah, they went out of their way multiple times to address this, so I don't think that's going to happen.

Red Hood

Banned
About the loftwing comments, where Skyward was the first in (one of) the timeline, and Aonuma talking about how this is basically "Skyward Sword 2.0" but in an open world and without motion controls, could this be a direct sequel, and this version of Ganon is the first actual Ganon form that Demise takes? I know there are the things from Windu Waka, but still.

As much of a fan I am, I'm not really into the timeline/continuity stuff as it all feels very pointless/inconsequential to me, but where Skyward is the origin story and it having a somewhat similar art style, it kind of makes me feel like this is Skyward Sword 2, chronologically speaking.

They should just get rid of the timeline all together. Never made a lot of sense to begin with.

Zekes!

I wonder if the direction you hold the analog stick in effects the direction you swing your sword like in past 3D Zeldas. It seemed like Link was doing the same horizontal slashes in the footage I've seen but I could've not been paying attention.

They were trying to break it with the sledgehammer, not the axe, but they probably are indestructible.

Swords and other items can also cut down trees, they're just much slower at it. If you hit a tree with a sword, you'll just 'nick' it, I'd imagine it'd take 10+ cuts like that to cut down a tree

ReyVGM

Yeah, it'll be a major problem if they pop up again after every time you load a saved game.

The good thing is that this doesn't happen in the two Zelda HD remakes on Wii U, so I'm not too worried.

Worst case scenario: fan outcry causes Nintendo to release a patch to fix the issue.

Haven't played the HD versions yet. Glad to hear that.

And yeah, luckily they would just release a patch. But I'm honestly already saving up to buy the NX with Zelda and I really really don't want to wait for a patch to fix minor annoyances like that. But if the HD ones are any indications, it will be the same with this one.

Swords and other items can also cut down trees, they're just much slower at it. If you hit a tree with a sword, you'll just 'nick' it, I'd imagine it'd take 10+ cuts like that to cut down a tree

He's talking about the tower. Towers seem to be indestructible, probably to have pieces of level/encounter design that the player absolutely has to deal with. If we go by the first trailer, I think we can expect destructible objects in the environment, just not those. Let's hope those objects are consistent.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That item popup is really worrying me as I watch more videos.

I know they only appear the first time you pick up the item (like SS), and Nintendo confirmed so. But, for me, the problem in SS was not really the message, but they fact that you had to endure them every time you loaded your saved game.

In BotW, they have pre-saved games for people and treehouse to play and the popups still appear. I mean, there's no way they got all the way there having the bombs, magnets and multiple clothing options without having picked up a single piece of food or weapon. Of course, this is a game with an active debug mode, so they could have just given the save game all the items without actually having to play the game, but I'm just assuming.

So will the popups reset in BotW when you load a saved game? I truly hope not, and if they do right now, I hope they fix that.

They went to rather painful lengths to continually assure viewers that the popups would only happen the first time you got an item ever, not after every reload.

I don't think those custom saves were actually that, but custom startups. Especially because demo players played that section before the story section, so they likely wanted those popups to come up since that would be the first time those people would be seeing all of that. And the Treehouse presentations were the same thing, the demo but with a cheat code to disable the time limit.

chadboban

Some pitchfork action.

Jf8i9qY.gif

Also, I love how the club misses but the fire still touches the shield and it catches fire in this one.

rqDWA4K.gif

Hurling a weapon at an enemy's face and seeing it explode into a million shards is gonna feel so rewarding. Turning damaged weapons into exploding missiles is a very clever kind of punchy action.

Xemnas89

I just can't stop watching footage of this game. It's like a virtual playground and every video is different despite taking place in the same place. Also looking at footage of the plateau and then looking back at Twilight Princess really shows just how basic the overworld is in that game.

Olly88

Does anyone know of any clips/GIFs of a tree being rolled down a hill into enemies like there are with the boulders? Thanks!

gamerMan

When Nintendo first showed off this game, I had all these images in my head of what this game could be. How in the world did Nintendo manage to surpass them?

For the last 5 years, we have all be asking what does "next gen" gameplay look like. What does that even mean? Some of have been convinced that no improvements to gameplay could be made. That somehow we have reached the pinnacle of 3d gaming and all that was left to be achieved were better stories, better resolution, better aliasing, and more shaders. We were happy with open worlds that were broken, buggy, and had janky systems.

Before this game came out I always wondered when someone would come along and use the more powerful hardware to create better AI, better physics, better systems and better gameplay. Nintendo has finally answered that question with a system that is not even supposed to have the power to this.

When Iwata said, "The fate of a video game system is often influenced greatly by the introduction of a single title" I laughed at him. Yet, I don't even know what the NX is about and I want it. This is only the beginning isn't it? Next gen has finally arrived.

When Nintendo first showed off this game, I had all these images in my head of what this game could be. How in the world did Nintendo manage to surpass them?

For the last 5 years, we have all be asking what does "next gen" gameplay look like. What does that even mean? Some of have been convinced that no improvements to gameplay could be made. That somehow we have reached the pinnacle of 3d gaming and all that was left to be achieved were better stories, better resolution, better aliasing, and more shaders. We were happy with open worlds that were broken, buggy, and had janky systems.

Before this game came out I always wondered when someone would come along and use the more powerful hardware to create better AI, better physics, better systems and better gameplay. Nintendo has finally answered that question with a system that is not even supposed to have the power to this.

When Iwata said, "The fate of a video game system is often influenced greatly by the introduction of a single title" I laughed at him. Yet, I don't even know what the NX is about and I want it. This is only the beginning isn't it? Next gen has finally arrived.

No kidding. Every other "open-world" game I've seen has looked boring and awkward as fuck compared to this. Nintendo's dev teams manage to always work miracles with the hardware, and accomplish things that developers who have access to much more powerful hardware couldn't dream of.

CrisKre

pls polish Zelda U. ;_;

Y'know what irks me about Wolf Link? Its front legs are so… behind. Like, right below the center of gravity. Looks like it could easily fall over to the front.
XDF5Fen.jpg
The bulk of the lower part of the head should be fur, do I think the proportions are ok.

Vena

I'd love if Aonuma was the driving force behind NX like Konno was with 3DS and Eguchi with Wii U.

Has this been posted? "Why Zelda: Breath of the Wild is coming to Wii U and NX." http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/06/17/e3-2016-why-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-is-coming-to-wii-u-and-nx

Part of a Miyamoto and Aonuma interview. Main points/ Most interesting parts:
- The decision to make an NX version was made a while ago
- They really thought they could ship the game in 2015, but their glorious physics engine was giving them trouble
- Aonuma is more involved with the NX than he was with the Wii

This may explain the CPU we've been hearing about, if Aonuma has been involved with the NX, and BotW, and the physics engine they've been building between EPD and MonolithSoft, I can easily see them running into CPU bottlenecks and wanting those solved definitively with a more robust CPU.

Just realized this game has hit yet another thing on my Zelda wish list: it's presumably fixed the annoying stealth sections. It's now an omnipresent mechanic that you can use to get the upper hand in battle. I'll actually want to use it now.

Just realized this game has hit yet another thing on my Zelda wish list: it's presumably fixed the annoying stealth sections. It's now an omnipresent mechanic that you can use to get the upper hand in battle. I'll actually want to use it now.

The Amazing thing is that it's much more than the standard stealth mechanics. It's audio based, which just isn't a thing outside the dedicated stealth genre which are mostly visual oriented with the scripting towards thrown bricks. It's far beyond most action adventures. It's also probably why the sound design in this game is incredible. It had to be good for this system to work.

BigApple3AM

Neo Member
This looks like a world I'd love to get lost in, but I am having a tough time getting excited for this game. The main reason being I don't own a Wii U and don't see the NX being something I will want to invest in based on recent rumors/etc. I love Zelda but I'm tired of Nintendo being basically a full generation or more behind the others. This game, as fun as it looks is still only as visually appealing to me as an XBOX 360 game even with it's partially cartoon-ish art style. I'll reserve final judgment until I see it running on NX, and actually find out what NX is.. but I'm a bit too down on Nintendo right now to feel the same hype as everyone else. I hope it changes, I hate to skip yet another game in this series because the last game I played (not counting HD remakes) was Twilight Princess.

Before seeing the game, i was concerned how they would fill treasure chests in this game. There can't be a lot of heart pieces, or other smalls items, and then the rest would be rupees. But they actually overhauled the concept of items in the game and now you can find shit like ice and fire arrows, the fire rod in a treasure chest in the world. this makes exploring the world so much more interesting to me.

Durock

One thing I'm really hoping for is a journal that catalogs the items, recipes you discover wihen cooking, and anything that is scanned with the Sheikah Slate.

skypunch

Banned
I'm assuming the physics engine being used for this game will also be used for Monolith Soft's next game, which would be amazing. It lines up with the fact that the combat in Monolith's next RPG will probably be full action like in Witcher 3, Souls series...

jonno394

I'm assuming the physics engine being used for this game will also be used for Monolith Soft's next game, which would be amazing. It lines up with the fact that the combat in Monolith's next RPG will probably be full action like in Witcher 3, Souls series...

Based on what?

takriel

I just can't stop watching footage of this game. It's like a virtual playground and every video is different despite taking place in the same place. Also looking at footage of the plateau and then looking back at Twilight Princess really shows just how basic the overworld is in that game.
Maybe that's what Aonuma meant when he said that we'll want to revisit TP once BotW is out.

skypunch

Banned
Based on what?

Takahashi said his team wanted to make XCX full action but they didn't want to overstretch themselves what with it being their first HD game, so I'm guessing they'll move towards a full action combat system for their next game. XCX's combat was more action-based than Xenoblade's and that because of the teams desire for an action combat system.

Another Point for villages just turning up later or rather not on The plateu, the lack of rupees. When there Are No people why should there be rupees or a currency in general, it wouldnt make sense to have currency laying around. Once the world evolves a bit and gets revitalized a currency will make more sense :)

did i understand right that npcs may have been removed from the demo? at least this video has a house of some kind which would feel pretty out of place if someone wasn't living there.

You can see the likely woodcutter in the trailer. He looks a lot like the Old Man at a distance, so they may be the same person.

Yes. NPc-s and towns were left out of the demo.

Just to clarify, I don't believe anything was removed from the Plateau itself for the purposes of the demo; rather, that limiting the demo to this one area allowed them to avoid showing any other characters or communities (save for the old man, whose cabin can be seen in the video quoted above). Aonuma talked about how the Plateau is a sacred place, and that people and monsters alike are supposed to be kept out.

It's not 100% clear yet, but I'm pretty certain that the Plateau you see in the final game will be similarly absent of NPCs and structures, and that it won't be until you complete the first four shrines, obtain the glider, and jump off into the world at large that you meet anybody else or stumble upon any towns.

Just to clarify, I don't believe anything was removed from the Plateau itself for the purposes of the demo; rather, that limiting the demo to this one area allowed them to avoid showing any other characters or communities (save for the old man, whose cabin can be seen in the video quoted above). Aonuma talked about how the Plateau is a sacred place, and that people and monsters alike are supposed to be kept out.

It's not 100% clear yet, but I'm pretty certain that the Plateau you see in the final game will be similarly absent of NPCs and structures, and that it won't be until you complete the first four shrines, obtain the glider, and jump off into the world at large that you meet anybody else or stumble upon any towns.

You're probably right. Makes a lot of sense.

TrueBlue

I keep watching more videos and the game just hooks into me the more I watch. It looks like a ton of fun and the mini dungeons look so comfy with their puzzles. I absolutely ADORE the fact that the voice acting is British, too.

Nintendo and Monolith still have 9 months of development left too so the game is surely only going to get better from here on.

I'm pleasantly surprised they went British with Zelda, but I guess they looked at its high fantasy roots and decided to cast through that lens.

The guide sounds lovely as well. Can't wait to see who eventually voices Ganondorf.

This looks like a world I'd love to get lost in, but I am having a tough time getting excited for this game. The main reason being I don't own a Wii U and don't see the NX being something I will want to invest in based on recent rumors/etc. I love Zelda but I'm tired of Nintendo being basically a full generation or more behind the others. This game, as fun as it looks is still only as visually appealing to me as an XBOX 360 game even with it's partially cartoon-ish art style. I'll reserve final judgment until I see it running on NX, and actually find out what NX is.. but I'm a bit too down on Nintendo right now to feel the same hype as everyone else. I hope it changes, I hate to skip yet another game in this series because the last game I played (not counting HD remakes) was Twilight Princess.
By all means, in terms of "technical" features (to word it somehow) this game is a generation behind the 8th generation or equivalent to the level some open world games reached in 7th gen hardware (360/PS3).

But this shouldn't be new to you, after all this has been the way Nintendo operates since to cycles ago. Also according to what you write above, you are/would be better served with either one of the other 2 manufacurers or better yet with a capable PC. Guess, it's time for to move on from anything Nintendo related.

The game is barrowing alot of ideas of other games an applying it to the world of Zelda so it might feel fresh to other gamers that haven't experience many open world games on other platforms. And it has lots of small details and care put into it.

Game looks finished to me. Wouldn't be surprised if they move on to something else, or at best get it to work on NX.
i got the opposite impression from the demo. For a game with so much time in development the interface seems too rough and there are some performance issues.

Also the person you replied to, thinks that the team will have 9 months extra. That would be the case if the NX is unveiled by september. If it's revealed further down the line, they could have more time. My reasoning is that i think Nintendo will have a 6 month gap between unveil and release of the system.

spekkeh

Banned
I keep watching more videos and the game just hooks into me the more I watch. It looks like a ton of fun and the mini dungeons look so comfy with their puzzles. I absolutely ADORE the fact that the voice acting is British, too.

Nintendo and Monolith still have 9 months of development left too so the game is surely only going to get better from here on.
Game looks finished to me. Wouldn't be surprised if they move on to something else, or at best get it to work on NX.

ugly

I would say MGSV is getting there too. The gameplay is superb!

EDIT: Actually, I think the combat in BotW still looks really inconsequentially easy, despite there being a lot of options. It would be cool if the enemies were a bit more Dark Soulsy. It's a fighting mechanic that takes huge cues from Zelda, just that they upped the difficulty.

wrowa

There's really no way of telling how much of the game is finished based on the limited insight an E3 demo offers. After all, they obviously only show what is already ready to be shown with no way of telling what needs further work beyond that.

sonto340

Game looks finished as far as content and systems.
Id imagine they're spending the next 9 months polishing the game performance and tweaking the interface.

EDIT: Actually, I think the combat in BotW still looks really inconsequentially easy, despite there being a lot of options. It would be cool if the enemies were a bit more Dark Soulsy. It's a fighting mechanic that takes huge cues from Zelda, just that they upped the difficulty.

This already looks more challenging than the last three or four 3D Zelda games, which is great. However, Zelda should never become as challenging as Dark Souls, as Nintendo wants it to appeal to a wider audience.

https://youtu.be/jPgtJKZS0cM?t=90

if anyone is ever worried about that again, just show them this

first time picking up steak in the session, no popup

Oh cool, thanks!

KingBroly

Banned
I watched the story gameplay bit from Gamespot. Thought it was really odd
that Link answered 'I heard a voice' to the Old Man and he's just like 'yup, that's quite common and not at all suspicious.'

Top Bottom