• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 is getting a new UI (Will also apply to Hardline and Battlefield 1)

This might be old news since this article was posted a few days ago, but I just found out about this.

Quite unexpectedly, DICE announced a new Battlefield 4 feature: a user interface overhaul. The new user interface will make its debut on Battlefield 4 and will be applied to Battlefield Hardline and the upcoming Battlefield 1.

The core of the new user interface seems to be to decouple the use of a web browser to find and join games. Instead, players will find and join servers in-game with the new BF4 UI. The way it used to be with all Battlefield games, up until BF3.
The new BF4 UI will also include a “recommendation engine to suggest maps, modes, and more”, and will make it easier to play and squad up with friends.
As DICE puts it, “The new Battlefield user interface is designed to improve the experience of playing with friends and to bring relevant content to your attention.”
Last week during the Battlefield 1 E3 showcase, the game did not have an open web browser on the PC, suggesting that it won’t be launched and managed from the browser with Battlelog like BF4 and BF3.
The new user interface is currently being tested by a limited group of players and should be added to Battlefield 4 later this Summer.

Source: http://bf4central.com/2016/06/bf4-ui/

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's huge, I hated the Battlelog.

Nokterian

Well damn dice this is splendid news indeed. I have to say the new UI in battlefield 1 looked slick and clean less cluttered also browsing in game? Yes please!

You know what.

Battlefield 4 has been one of the best handled post release games of all time.

Obviously the release itself was something else, but that has well and truly been made up for.

Pakoe

Wtf, about damn time. Always said the whole battlelog thing was horrible, glad to see this happen.

Any pictures? Maybe examples for BF1 to see what we can expect?

I hope this also makes it easier to find shorter games. Loved it at launch with 200 ticket matches but they're all 500+ now and take years.

Any pictures? Maybe examples for BF1 to see what we can expect?

I hope this also makes it easier to find shorter games. Loved it at launch with 200 ticket matches but they're all 500+ now and take years.

At the BF1 showcase at E3, the game was running on PC's and didn't have a web browser.

Can't find any pictures but I'm guessing it's much like Bad Company 2 where the single player and multiplayer are launched within the game rather than a browser.

Firebrand

The one thing I like with the current Battlelog browser setup is that you can queue and the game will let you know when you've been connected and loaded the map.

I think they could achieve the same thing with an in-game browser though.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
battlelog is rad i leave it open all the time and if i feel like playing a match i just pop over to that and join my favorite server play a match or two and quit out its very convenient

Megasoum

Banned
battlelog is rad i leave it open all the time and if i feel like playing a match i just pop over to that and join my favorite server play a match or two and quit out its very convenient

Agree... It's so much smoother and faster than a clumsy ingame browser.

You know what.

Obviously the release itself was something else, but that has well and truly been made up for.

Yup. For all the hate it received, it deserves equal amounts of praise IMO.

Kysen

Years too late, using a web browser to find servers was always a bad idea. They finally came to their senses.

Battlelog is the best server browser I've dealt with, imo. It's a shame if a slow and basic in-game browser replaces it, but yeah that remains to be seen.

I see a lot of complaints regarding Battlelog though, what are people having issues with specifically?

jediyoshi

Years too late, using a web browser to find servers was always a bad idea. They finally came to their senses.

What are the benefits of needing to load up the game and have it running to actively search for servers? I found that trade off ontop of running scripts over Battlelog preferable to any ingame customization UI/server browser.

I love that they're going back to an in-game UI.

The browser based server browser has bothered me since Battlefield 3, I always wished they would go back to an in-game one like in Battlefield Bad Company 2 and now they're finally doing it, I'm very happy about this.

TheAssist

So whats the complaint about battlelog?

That its fast and efficient and has more options than any other server browser I know?

I mean honestly? What the problem. I just dont get the complaints.

Its incredibly fast. Its easy to navigate. It plays into all the strengths of the PC platform considering its a multi platform release. You can have a huge amount of customization for your search. It offers you the option to do all the stuff you can do in game (character customization, load out. etc.) in your browser.
It also serves as a stats, news and community hub.

I dont understand people.

P44

You know what.

It's like when I thought, yeah they've made up for it, they keep going

Mathezar

While I prefer an in-game server browser, I really like Battlelog for what it offers on top of this, like you can tinker around with options and look over your stats while you're away. I hope the two can co-exist in some form.

PS4 player here. So what I am reading is that PC users had to browse for games outside of the actual game, in a web browser?

Top Bottom