• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 is getting a new UI (Will also apply to Hardline and Battlefield 1)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I also hope this means better filtering options, because it's fucking obnoxious setting up filters to find servers that run maps you actually own.

Can you retrofit this into BF3 as well, DICE? FFS, the PC version already has the 360 UI for the server browser in both releases! (BF3, BF4!)

I'd rather use DICE's shitty in-game browser over having to use my web browser to find servers.

There's no reason to play 3 over 4 these days tho.

zma1013

I actually like battlelog quite a bit but I'm fine with an ingame browser too, as long as it's better than their past ones. I don't look back on BF2 ingame browser too fondly.

I don't mind Battlelog in concept, but it's been plagued by bugs in my experience. I'm glad they are going back to doing things in-game.
Yeah, I was okay with the concept, but at least in the earlier days getting it to consistently work was an enormous pain in the ass. Friends and I spent so much time fiddling with it to get Battlefield 3 co-op working, and I think in the end we never managed to finish that because of problems with Battlelog.

It's also not particularly efficient. Right now I have enough browser windows open that around 20% of my CPU is being used. So I definitely don't want to keep my browser running while I'm trying to run a high performance game like Battlefield Hardline (the campaign of which I'm going to be finishing up in a few minutes), which means in practice I have to micromanage two programs to play Battlefield. And while maybe it's just a problem with the engine because it's also true in campaign modes, the loading times are terrible.

I think there was probably merit in something like a Quakespy client for Battlefield, especially with how many Battlefield games get released. As an optional side project that would definitely be a welcome option. But I'm not at all convinced using an existing web browser was the best way to go about that, as opposed to a lightweight dedicated program, which could have even been just a preconfigured custom browser with no plugin worries.

Kysen

What are the benefits of needing to load up the game and have it running to actively search for servers? I found that trade off ontop of running scripts over Battlelog preferable to any ingame customization UI/server browser.

You need to fire up the game anyway to play so it makes perfect sense for the server browser to be there as well. I had so many failed starts due to the rubbish browser plugin. Or you'd join a server and the game would start up only to be greeted with the server is full/lost connection and kicked back out. Utterly pointless.

I wonder if there will be a good deal for Battlefield 4 and Hardline since I hear you can easily switch from BF1, BF4, and Hardline

Why not make it optional for the people that want to launch their game through a web browser. Offering a choice would be good here

JBwB

I actually liked battlelog :(

But whatever, nice of them to give the players what they've always wanted.

Hell, now I've got an itch to play BF4 again. Amazing game.

Why not make it optional for the people that want to launch their game through a web browser. Offering a choice would be good here

It seems like they are retiring Battlelog, slowly but surely. They have just taken down the Battlelog forums and are now directing people to use the forums on Battlefield.com instead.

lame gag

Banned
How about fix the damn battlelog in the PS4 version (can't comment on other versions). It never works for me and has even crashed my game many times.

JMTHEFOX

As someone who likes Battlelog (at least with Better Battlelog), I'm very happy with this news. A tad disappointing that Battlefield 3 won't get the new UI though.

Loading time have nothing to do with the server browser. The browser itself was super fluid. The best thing was you could just browse the internet, while the game was loading in the background and you didnt have to tab out and in to know whether the game finished loading.

I simply dont get why people argue that having a browser tab open is such a big deal. Isnt the web browser open all the time any ways?

Maybe people have forgotten how bad Battlefield ingame browsers actually were?
I think the BF 2 browser doesnt work properly to this day.

Worst case scenario is, we now get a console like server browser that doesnt offer nearly as many options, while making navigation more slowly and cumbersome to accommodate controller inputs.

But it will be ingame ,so yay, we won.

edit: its late and I'm salty. Bite me.

Good lord please don't remind me of BF2's server browser. It was the absolute, buggiest server browser I've ever used. DICE has never been good at doing server browsers, and at least with Battlelog there were addons you could install to enhance its features (BetterBattlelog). All the server disconnect errors and other typical Battlefield server bullshit are still gonna happen, but now in an in-game server browser instead. Well, whatever. For me, everything always loads quickly, and I always only play on 4-5 servers in my favourites area anyway. It sounds like people just have a problem with Chrome being a memory hog, and even so, the standard now a days for RAM is 8GB.

Now Punkbuster. That's something they need to change or fix. Fucking 10+ years of dealing with its shit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I initially loathed Battlelog, but ultimately grew to love it. Not everything about it, but casually browsing game servers while multitasking other tabs and windows is so inherently PC I think I'm actually going to miss it.

I love Battlelog and I think it's incredibly convenient.

Maybe I should be posting that in the unpopular opinion thread :p

casually browsing game servers while multitasking other tabs and windows is so inherently PC I think I'm actually going to miss it.

I feel the same way.

Xyber

I love Battlelog and I think it's incredibly convenient.

Maybe I should be posting that in the unpopular opinion thread :p

I feel the same way.

I kinda hope they will have both, because I didn't mind the battlelog at all but would still also have it available in the game.

Battlelog was a great solution to a streak of terribly designed server browsers in games. Let's hope the terrible sever browsers in game part is fixed.

It's also not particularly efficient. Right now I have enough browser windows open that around 20% of my CPU is being used. So I definitely don't want to keep my browser running while I'm trying to run a high performance game like Battlefield Hardline (the campaign of which I'm going to be finishing up in a few minutes), which means in practice I have to micromanage two programs to play Battlefield. And while maybe it's just a problem with the engine because it's also true in campaign modes, the loading times are terrible.

Is that CPU load just from battlelog tabs? If not, it doesn't have any meaning.

Deadbeat

Banned
Sure there is. BF3 has a more diverse and superior set of maps. Unfortunately the UI is atrocious and makes me not want to play. Shame it isn't getting an upgrade.
Metro was ported to BF4, dude. It has all the diversity it needs now.
Metro will be a DLC map for the french in BF1. Just you watch.

Is that CPU load just from battlelog tabs? If not, it doesn't have any meaning.

It isn't, but why does that matter for my point? I have to manage two performance-hungry programs instead of one to play Battlefield. If I play Black Ops 3 or CSGO I don't need to worry about running Photoshop at the same time, right? Battlelog feels designed for people who don't use web browsers in anything approaching a serious way.

didn't mind battlelog

when does this update go live?

Yeah I'm on the fence about this.

Battlelog wasn't a great server browser but I did like using it for looking at stats and items.

Hopefully they have something like that in game or retain some kind of data API that external sites can read.

low-G

I just uninstalled my PC versions of the recent BF games because I couldn't tolerate BattleLog one second longer...

Top Bottom