• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 is getting a new UI (Will also apply to Hardline and Battlefield 1)

Agree... It's so much smoother and faster than a clumsy ingame browser.

Having to refresh the page to update the server list and holding down the page down key to show more servers is in no way better.

And I couldn't connect to a game in BF3 after the last DLC thanks to Battlelog.

Nabbis

I don't understand why they don't just put a simple UI that tells all the needed data like in CS. All that performance hogging buggy shit just for a server browser.

TheAssist

Having to refresh the page to update the server list and holding down the page down key to show more servers is in no way better.

And I couldn't connect to a game in BF3 after the last DLC thanks to Battlelog.

So... refreshing an ingame browser is so much better?

And usually I dont get that many matches because of filter options

Any other real complaints?

jediyoshi

PS4 player here. So what I am reading is that PC users had to browse for games outside of the actual game, in a web browser?

Yes, so with multiple windows you could simultaneously manage your loadouts while also tracking servers to join.

Going back to managing everything ingame will mean a lot more jumping through menus since everything will be single screened and likely more cumbersome UX since they're designing around an ensured 16:9 screen.

So... refreshing an ingame browser is so much better?

And usually I dont get that many matches because of filter options

Any other real complaints?

Um Yes? BC2's server list worked perfectly well and doesn't randomly show different servers when refreshing. Like every game that uses a in game server list.

TheAssist

Um Yes? BC2's server list worked perfectly well and doesn't randomly show different servers when refreshing. Like every game that uses a in game server list.

It didnt give you nearly as many options though. It was a very basic browser. And rather slow

Chittagong

Gold Member
Great news, Battlelog was the dumbest shit ever, having to open a browser thingy just to get to play, no reason exact same thing couldn't be within the game.

Pleasantly surprised that they keep on supporting BF4 this long.

Mugenjin

It was weird when they introduced battle log for BF3 but over time I've grown to like it actually and I've never had a technical problem with it. I hope the ingame browser will have just as many filter options but somehow I doubt it.

Finally, I always hated battlelog. Every time I pick up the game again, I need to re-download some plugin to make it work. Then it frequently bugs out and doesn't actually load the map that I am trying to join. Not to mention you can't access the game's menu to change your settings without starting a map which I find just ridiculous.

I get what they're trying to accomplish with this but having a server browser in game should still be available.

orava

Battlelog is awesome and perfect for PC gaming. I hope they don't get rid of it. I hate cramped, overdesigned and sluggish ingame browsers.

TheAssist

Memory issues, long ass load times, overall it made it horrid using a web browser

Loading time have nothing to do with the server browser. The browser itself was super fluid. The best thing was you could just browse the internet, while the game was loading in the background and you didnt have to tab out and in to know whether the game finished loading.

I simply dont get why people argue that having a browser tab open is such a big deal. Isnt the web browser open all the time any ways?

Maybe people have forgotten how bad Battlefield ingame browsers actually were?
I think the BF 2 browser doesnt work properly to this day.

Worst case scenario is, we now get a console like server browser that doesnt offer nearly as many options, while making navigation more slowly and cumbersome to accommodate controller inputs.

But it will be ingame ,so yay, we won.

edit: its late and I'm salty. Bite me.

NIN90

What's so off-putting about having to use a browser to look for a server? Always found it be rather elegant when I used it.

The team must've been drunk when they created Battlelog. Needing a web browser to find games was beyond idiotic.

From a developers point of view it sounds like a dream: Changes, additions and bug fixes are near instant to release. No farting around pushing some 200MB patch to everyone. Can use all the pre-existing analytics tools designed for the web to see how your users do things.

Trace

Banned
What's so off-putting about having to use a browser to look for a server? Always found it be rather elegant when I used it.

Everything. It would be like turning your car on and instead of sitting down and driving you need to walk into the house and remote-control it on to the street before you can drive. Once I open a game I want it open and playable through the game window.

TheAssist

Everything. It would be like turning your car on and instead of sitting down and driving you need to walk into the house and remote-control it on to the street before you can drive. Once I open a game I want it open and playable through the game window.

Actually its more like opening the car doors with a some kind of a remote on your key chain. Oh wait.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah its gonna suck when you queue for a server your gonna have to sit and watch it for 5-10 minutes instead of knowing your match is ready when the game launches

Kahoona

Loading time have nothing to do with the server browser. The browser itself was super fluid. The best thing was you could just browse the internet, while the game was loading in the background and you didnt have to tab out and in to know whether the game finished loading.

I simply dont get why people argue that having a browser tab open is such a big deal. Isnt the web browser open all the time any ways?

Worst case scenario is, we now get a console like server browser that doesnt offer nearly as many options, while making navigation more slowly and cumbersome to accommodate controller inputs.

I'm with you. It'll suck to lose BetterBattleLog.

evi

I don't mind Battlelog in concept, but it's been plagued by bugs in my experience. I'm glad they are going back to doing things in-game.

Kaleinc

Banned
Will Dice at least implement customization of gfx options via browser? It's so 20th century-ish, so world war one-ish.

yeah its gonna suck when you queue for a server your gonna have to sit and watch it for 5-10 minutes instead of knowing your match is ready when the game launches

The World of Tanks client starts blinking red once the match has loaded and is about to start (if you have it minimised). BF4 could do that same.

Having to close down the game entirely to go open a browser (and then sit through a LONG ass loading screen as the entire game engine reloads everything from scratch) is by far the dumbest design I've ever seen when it comes to a multiplayer game.

Put the server browser in the game, like every other multiplayer game worth a damn

NIN90

I'd say it's more akin to how people use microwaves: turn it on, do whatever the fuck you want and you hear a beep when your stuff is done instead of standing right next to the microwave, your gaze transfixed to it.

I'd say it's more akin to how people use microwaves: turn it on, do whatever the fuck you want and you hear a beep when your stuff is done instead of standing right next to the microwave, your gaze transfixed to it.

What?You can already tab out of other multiplayer games, including while they are loading the map (which takes significantly less time too because you're not restarting the game every time you switch server)

There is nothing (literally) that battlelog can do that server browsers in other games weren't already doing 20 years ago

Good stuff. Battlelog is the most ridiculous, archaic shit I've ever seen. Selecting games through the browser seems like something I would've been doing with Quake 1.

Phyla

Great stuff! I can see the appeal of Battlelog, but using it was bothersome. Download and install a separate plugin, launching my browser with a ton of pinned tabs thus using memory, failure to launch a game after joining a server..

What options exactly? CSGO has tons of in game options and even has the ability to watch tournaments.And a lot of people here seems to be happy of battlelog being removed.

latest

TheAssist

What options exactly? CSGO has tons of in game options and even has the ability to watch tournaments.And a lot of people here seems to be happy of battlelog being removed.

yeah but DICE isnt quite valve when it comes to ingame browsers.
I just remember how bad previous BF server browsers were. So Battlelog is a step up from that and I dont want them to go back.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Instead, players will find and join servers in-game with the new BF4 UI.

Can you retrofit this into BF3 as well, DICE? FFS, the PC version already has the 360 UI for the server browser in both releases! (BF3, BF4!)

yeah but DICE isnt quite valve when it comes to ingame browsers.
I just remember how bad previous BF server browsers were. So Battlelog is a step up from that and I dont want them to go back.

I'd rather use DICE's shitty in-game browser over having to use my web browser to find servers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally. Battle log was such an odd decision.

It wasn't necessarily odd at the time when BF3 was in development. Criterion's "Autolog" was popular and being used (it was implemented in-game IIRC) to where EA decided to try to "Log" everything else to make an in-game social network sort of deal.

The problem is: Nobody wanted it, nor used it. I can count on one hand how many people cared about the Platoon pages. Nobody posted status updates and the "IM" system a la Facebook used and had sync issues.

Top Bottom