• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PBS Frontline: Policing the Police - June 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Link with trailer.

How do you change a troubled police department? On June 28, FRONTLINE goes inside the Newark Police Department — one of many forces in America ordered to reform. As the country’s debate over race, policing and civil rights continues to unfold, historian and New Yorker staff writer Jelani Cobb examines allegations of police abuses in Newark and the challenge of fixing a broken relationship with the community.

I have been thinking a lot about corrections and policing recently, particularly after reading the recent investigative piece on a CCA-run Louisiana prison published by Mother Jones, and after I watched the Frontline episode on solitary confinement I stumbled my way over to this as-yet-unaired episode.

There is also an article on the site about the Newark police department that is interesting and examines some of the allegations against the department, which (notably) the department didn't dispute. There is also a Frontline Investigates page on Policing the Police with other articles about important subjects in police reform.

There is more on the site; hopefully someone besides me is interested in this.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Make that 5! I totally missed this thread but I'm subbed now. I love Frontline.

Mumei

Lol, Frontline topics are not popular here. You should know that Mumei.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up though. Sounds interesting.

Oh, I just figured it was "Mumei topic" and "The topic was posted around midnight EST" thing more than a Frontline thing. :p

Xe4

Banned
Three of us? Well, mark this topic down as another success!
There are dozens of us! Dozens!

I love Frontline, and I'll be sure to check this out.

Hopefully this isn't one that slowly (or quickly) erodes my faith in humanity, but I guess we'll see.

Necrovex

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

I love Frontline, and I'll be sure to check this out.

Hopefully this isn't one that slowly (or quickly) erodes my faith in humanity, but I guess we'll see.

This is Frontline. If it doesn't make you cry about humanity, it wouldn't be doing its job! Won't be able to watch on release but I will try to see it later next month!

DedValve

Banned
Oh, I just figured it was "Mumei topic" and "The topic was posted around midnight EST" thing more than a Frontline thing. :p

To be fair Pepsi is bringing back aspartame which is pretty fucking huge.

Despite this lesser news I will give it a watch! Never seen anything from Frontline or even heard from them so this will be a first.

master15

Great but ultimately sad episode. No surprise that squad was disbanded. Loved the majors reactions listening to the BS his original police chief was spewing.

Felt I was watching an episode of the wire at times. When will they realize the stats game ruins community's perception of police and their ability to be effective and stopping real crime.

Mumei

How do they get away with not filing reports?

At least the unit was disbanded.

I saw someone quote a really apropos [and somewhat abridged now that I'm looking at the original] excerpt from The Souls of Black Folk that is quite topical:

For such dealing with criminals, white or black, the South had no machinery, no adequate jails or reformatories; its police system was arranged to deal with blacks alone, and tacitly assumed that every white man was ipso facto a member of that police. Thus grew up a double system of justice, which erred on the white side by undue leniency and the practical immunity of red-handed criminals, and erred on the black side by undue severity, injustice, and lack of discrimination. For, as I have said, the police system of the South was originally designed to keep track of all Negroes, not simply of criminals; and when the Negroes were freed and the whole South was convinced of the impossibility of free Negro labor, the first and almost universal device was to use the courts as a means of reenslaving the blacks. It was not then a question of crime, but rather one of color, that settled a man's conviction on almost any charge. Thus Negroes came to look upon courts as instruments of injustice and oppression, and upon those convicted in them as martyrs and victims.

Felt I was watching an episode of the wire at times. When will they realize the stats game ruins community's perception of police and their ability to be effective and stopping real crime.

Police departments were shit before they were stat driven.

I saw someone quote a really apropos [and somewhat abridged now that I'm looking at the original] excerpt from The Souls of Black Folk that is quite topical:

Exactly. This documentary (and shows like The Wire) get it totally wrong. They frame the issue from the liberal perspective; that this is a sad devolution of some ideal justice system. That there is a just justice system that we once had and could reach again.

But that is total and utter bullshit. Our police and our justice system work just fine. This wonton brutality, murder, and oppression is the intended end goal.

Police are only doing what they've been convinced to do based upon the poverty in which they usually work.

Destroy the poverty.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll check it out on their site tomorrow.

A.edrerai

Banned
Better wages like 8000 dollars per months staring salaries , state controlled investment policies after taking in to consideration the needs of the station, reducing the number of private security organizations. The most important of all is I think seriously investing on re-education and service long continuing of educating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom