• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventures of Mana (Vita) |OT| Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Mana Adventure

Cornbread78

xEhBe1B.png

Initial release date: February 4, 2016
New Release date: June 28th, 2016
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix
Genre: Action role-playing game
Platforms: Android, iOS, PlayStation Vita (NA/EU) <PSN Only>
*PSTV compatible*
Price: $13.99

Store Link:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...mana/cid=UP0082-PCSE00905_00-ADVENTURESOFMANA

MEu5WaQ.jpg
3efLpx1.jpg

Game History:
Adventures of Mana is an action role-playing video game developed and published by Square Enix. It is a 3D remake of the 1991 Game Boy game Final Fantasy Adventure, the first game in the Mana series. It was released worldwide for Android and iOS on February 4, 2016; a PlayStation Vita version was also released on the same date in Japan, and on June 28th 2016 in North America and Europe. (In addition to these releases, Square Enix is considering developing a PlayStation 4 version.)

Story:
Enshrined atop Mt. Illusia, high above the lofty clouds, stands the Tree of Mana. Drawing its life energy from the boundless celestial aether, the sentinel grows in silence. Legend holds that he who lays his hands upon its trunk will be granted power eternal &#8212; a power the Dark Lord of Glaive now seeks to further fuel his bloody quest for domination. Our unlikely hero is one of countless gladiators indentured to the Duchy of Glaive. Each day, he and his ill-fated companions are dragged from their cells and bade to fight exotic beasts for the amusement of the Dark Lord. If victorious, they are thrown back into the dungeons with just enough bread to tide them over until their next match. But a body can only take so much, and it is never long before the weary captives succumb to their cruel fates.

Features:
The PS Vita version of Adventures of Mana features enhanced 3D visuals (the original was in 2D), revamped menus, and a rearranged soundtrack from the game&#8217;s original composer. The background music from the original version is also available in the game.

Screenshots:
QAcqWvO.jpg
idapBRz.jpg

O7LhwyQ.jpg
DwSb8lb.jpg

Time to Shine:
Then:
Dwtesbp.png

Now:
sYz25Vr.jpg

Trailer (JPN):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Mu-lqV_BY

Gameplay:
(First 30 mins: Vita)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMgzbHYLi0

Music:

Title screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SguIgoZNFMM

Mana Palace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SILyMV6t4g

Endless overworld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8jHkgzQbEc

Trophies:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/seiken/trophies/
(JPN)

Reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/adventures-of-mana
(none reported yet)

c9J4pWA.jpg

Danji

As an old fan of Seilen Densetsu, I was not expecting SE to actually bring this over on vita. Bought it day one and playing through it now. Now if we could just get SD2 remade so the hit detection could be improved.

Protip: even though it sucks, the Morning Star should be set on your quick access rotation, since there are enemies and breakables that only it affects.

Also, for some reason, the zooming sword attack is stronger than anything else.

And lances suck.

Unison

Any impressions on this? I will buy anyway, but I'm curious what to expect in terms of gameplay and game length.

khaaan

Bought. Can't wait to get to it.

I was wondering though, why do people seem to hate Sword of Mana on the GBA so much? From what I remember, it was a fun game.

Commo

Banned
Limited Run Games would like to do a physical run of this game, but they said there needs to be enough people interested and tweeting to @SquareEnix and @SQUARE_ENIX_EU while tagging @LimitedRunGames.

Beartruck

Playing through this for the first time. Over an hour in, just
killed the werewolf butler.
Definitely enjoying my time so far, can see how this turned into secret of mana, what with the attack bar and ai teammates.

Commo

Banned
Terrible remembering on my part. This is what they actually said-

Once some of these other deals with other Japanese companies are complete and successful we will tackle Square Enix. We want to have a proven track record with other companies from Japan before talking with them. We want to impress and wow them.

We have some contacts from Square Enix and we might send an email to them just to get our foot in the door. We would suggest tagging us with them on Twitter to start. That's how Koei Tecmo found out who we were.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=208579215&postcount=5117

But they did mention to at least tag them on Twitter.

I'm enjoying it so far on PSTV. It looks bright and colorful on my HDTV. Enemies and characters look pretty sharp, and I like how they have death animations instead of just blowing up. And I love how straight and to the point it is compared to the overly verbose Sword of Mana.

Being able to switch between gb chiptunes and remixed music is so nice. The original had some lovely compositions.

Jackano

Damn it, it's a real thing! (yeah after the other Mystic Quest false remake)...

Good stuff. State of the art music. Check out the old orchestral suite if you can.

I got it! Can't wait to play it after work! I loved the Mana games, and haven't played them since the early/mid 90's.

Also, $14 was a great price!

Shouldn't have released this right before a Big in Japan sale. Made picking it up very difficult, still think I'm gonna dive in though because if this does well and opens the door for more of these Square-Enix iOS ports...

(Also, it looks ace).

Berksy

Oh man i played the GB version in Japanese when i was a kid lol. Didn't know Japanese so didn't get far. OST still cling with me.

SkylineRKR

Game is very very good and faithful to the original. If you don't know it, some old school tropes might be off putting.

For me, the fact you can diagonal strike and walk is the most important improvement. For the rest i'm glad its so identical. The layouts are about 100% the same. I knew where to go for the silver key and I'm almost at the infamous figure of 8 part now.

Stock up on Mattocks and Key Rings and yes, having to equip them frequently can be a pain.

I am playing it with the new OST this time, but I definitely still prefer the old one. Maybe it's nostalgia, but it just feels so RIGHT

CazTGG

I was wondering though, why do people seem to hate Sword of Mana on the GBA so much? From what I remember, it was a fun game.

Most of it stemmed from making the game more like Secret of Mana and the lackluster music that was more the fault of the GameBoy Advance's mediocre sound chip, if I recall correctly. Plus, when you're on the same system that gave you the gold standard for remakes (Zero Mission), among other great remakes (Final Fight, Street Fighter II, FireRed/LeafGreen, Super Mario Advance, etc.), being an average at best doesn't really cut it. Then again, the same can be said about this remake given it's on the same system as Persona 4 Golden and Ys MoC and doesn't hold a candle to either game.

I remember hearing some people say this had performance issues back when it was Vita exclusive to Japan, is that not the case? Can anyone provide a rough review or impressions, since I'm not sure when anyone but maybe the Vita Lounge will get around to reviewing this officially.

Also, since this was a success from VoteVita or whatever the group that gathered twitter support for this was called, do we think Square Enix may be convinced to bring I Am Setsuna as well? I am also hopeful that Freedom Planet could come over to Vita as well, since it was also on the form the group passed around. Unfortunately, since it'd probably take a lot of work to port the engine over instead of just applying the English text from the smartphone port over to the already available JP Vita version like they had to do with this game, I kind of doubt Freedom Planet will come to Vita.

It's too bad because Freedom Planet is a great game and would be one of my favorites on Vita because it'd work so well on portable. It'd take me back to playing the Sonic Advance and Rush series on GBA/DS :).

Edit:

Then again, the same can be said about this remake given it's on the same system as Persona 4 Golden and Ys MoC and doesn't hold a candle to either game.

I don't know, it looks like it's at least running native resolution, without a bunch of smudgy bloom effects everywhere :p. It always bothered me how blurry Ys IV is, and it doesn't seem nearly demanding enough to have that resolution and framerate drops at times. Obviously Ys is more visually complex than this game, and Persona 4 is not native resolution either, but Ys just stands out like a sore thumb and I decided to have a little fun with it.

Tohsaka

Nice OT, bought the game yesterday but haven't played it yet since I've been busy with SO5. Does anyone know if there any missable trophies?

Nice OT, bought the game yesterday but haven't played it yet since I've been busy with SO5. Does anyone know if there any missable trophies?

I know of a least one: "Get 1 of every item". At some point the game locks you out from the world map so I missed that.

EDIT: Same goes for weapons and armor.

That said, the game has some insanely grindy trophies (level 99, 99 STR, 99 VIT etc.) so I'm not even sure if I'll go back for the platinum. Looks like it requires at least 2 very, very grindy playthroughs.
I remember hearing some people say this had performance issues back when it was Vita exclusive to Japan, is that not the case?

There are sometimes small stutters when a new model is loaded into memory for the first time, but that's pretty much it. It runs fine. I remember hearing that too about the JP version but it's really not true.

I can give you the trophies

- Lots of story progression ones (automatic)
- Obtain 100,000 gold
- Attain level 99
- Attain 99 STR
- Attain 99 INT
- Attain 99 VIT
- Attain 99 MND
- Obtain all weapons
- Obtain all magic spells
- Obtain at least one of all items
- Obtain all armor
- Obtain all helms
- Obtain all shields

That's it

Cornbread78

I think it's crazy that I still have my Game Boy version and remember following the partial guide that was given in Nintendo Power mag. Yeah, I'm getting old..

U must have played through this game a million times growing up.

The ost is &#128076;&#128076;&#128076;&#128076;&#128076;&#128076;&#128076;&#128076;&#128076;.

Game feels like a cross between Ys and Zelda.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
The original on GameBoy was one of the best games I have ever played. It was one of my first RPGs and totally blew my mind. I'd say it was the only GB game I really truly loved.

So glad this was brought out on Vita. Buy the game people, it's totally worth it!!

Pejo

The fact that the side characters just wander aimlessly around the screen in 3D is pretty hilarious and amazing. I timed how long it took for the "mysterious stranger" to kill 3 slimes in a room with his fire magic.

7 minutes. lol.

That was definitely something that seemed to just work better on a primitive 2d display.

Ramune

Awesome! So they actually gone and brought it over? Well I shall do my part and pick it up this week! Going into this blind, as I never played the original. But it looks like a good time!

The fact that the side characters just wander aimlessly around the screen in 3D is pretty hilarious and amazing. I timed how long it took for the "mysterious stranger" to kill 3 slimes in a room with his fire magic.

7 minutes. lol.

That was definitely something that seemed to just work better on a primitive 2d display.

Yeah they made the followers even more useless. In the original they would at least constantly attack in random directions and hit things every now and then, here they seem to think about every single attack for minutes. It's funny

Lothar

Banned

While simple, the original and this one have a nice tone to the story. Surprisingly dark for the time it came out. That tone isn't in Sword of Mana. It's just generically bland. It's an even bigger problem because they expanded the story. They stretched it out. So conversations in it are extremely long winded and boring.

Top Bottom