• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria 5th trailer

Ydelnae

Did they say that during the Tales of Festival?

No, but I remember reading an interview after Sumphonia Chronicles came out and after being asked if more remasters were coming in the future, they said that none were planned at the moment but that they are open to coming back to old games and remaster them to new platforms.

Let me see if I can find the interview.

EDIT: I can't seem to find the interview I referring to, maybe it wasn't in English. But this one has Baba say that they are currently focused on making mainline games and that new remasters could happen when the development team is available to do them: http://parallaxplay.com/interview-tales-of-series-hideo-baba/

They REALLY should get rid of that horrible Xillia engine and go back to Vesperia's. Characters are ugly as hell.

"Xillia engine"

Hate to break it to you kid, but all 3D Tales have been using the same engine since Symphonia.

Difference between Zestiria's engine and Vesperia's is the difference between Skyrim's and Oblivion's.

royox

"Xillia engine"

Hate to break it to you kid, but all 3D Tales have been using the same engine since Symphonia.

Difference between Zestiria's engine and Vesperia's is the difference between Skyrim's and Oblivion's.

You telling me this horripilant thing

tales_of_xillia_14.jpg

was using the same graphic engine as this?

tales-of-vesperia-xbox-360-843.jpg

If they were then I will be even more upset. They could go to a full Cell Shadding game and instead they have been doing characters that look like made of paper paperboard.

I distinctly recall an interview saying they built a new graphics engine for Zestiria.

Developers say things all the time, and rendering pipelines get updated constantly. Kaldaien has been doing a ton of digging through Zestiria and Symphonia and he's said a few times now that it's very clear that Zestiria's engine is another segment in a tall tower of duct-tape starting with Symphonia's. Akin, to say, that Fallout 4's engine is the same engine used for Morrowind 14 years ago, with several bells and whistles thrown on the side, no matter how much Bethesda insists on it being a whole new engine.

If they were then I will be even more upset. They could go to a full Cell Shadding game and instead they have been doing characters that look like made of paper paperboard.

seh6p.gif

Is it me or is the story very Berserk like (in a quite shallow sense albeit): sacrifice made to become a great leader, survivor of sacrifice out to get revenge even if they are perceived as villains.

I want to see more gameplay and towns before I'm on board. Dig the story and stuff like the mini games and battle system changes though.

kewlmyc

Is it me or is the story very Berserk like (in a quite shallow sense albeit): sacrifice made to become a great leader, survivor of sacrifice out to get revenge even if they are perceived as villains.

I want to see more gameplay and towns before I'm on board. Dig the story and stuff like the mini games and battle system changes though.

Well it is called Tales of Berseria, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

Xillia looks better imo. It has more complex character models and scenery, higher resolution textures, and higher polygon counts. Vesperia's cel-shaded look is nice but it is a product of its era in sheer fidelity.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You telling...

Xillia needs AA but other than that I like the idea behind the artstyle change and overall its more detailed than Vesperia. Vesperia has a lot of blur effects and basic geometry and a small scope to hide things with camera angles while you had more control of your view in Xillia. Zestiria improved on the visuals but the performance of Zestiria was a bit over the place on PS3 and even on PS4 at 30 fps had drops.

Developers say things all the time, and rendering pipelines get updated constantly. Kaldaien has been doing a ton of digging through Zestiria and Symphonia and he's said a few times now that it's very clear that Zestiria's engine is another segment in a tall tower of duct-tape starting with Symphonia's. Akin, to say, that Fallout 4's engine is the same engine used for Morrowind 14 years ago, with several bells and whistles thrown on the side, no matter how much Bethesda insists on it being a whole new engine.
The Namco should take a page out of Square Enix's book and switch to Unreal Engine 4. If Dragon Quest is using it, I don't see how the Tales series wouldn't be able to make a similar transition

"Xillia engine"

I know Symphonia and Abyss share an engine, but Vesperia's definitely a different engine.

I very distinctly remember an interview with Team Symphonia around Vesperia's release where they talk about having to build a new engine from the ground up for Vesperia, due to the shading techniques it uses and because they wanted a more flexible platform to work from going forwards in HD development. However, I do remember that same interview discussing their development philosophy going forward at that point in time, and that they were planning on building an engine and iterating on/adjusting it to their liking for future titles in order to streamline the process instead of making proprietary engines on a per-game basis. So they've probably been iterating on the same engine since Vesperia, at the earliest.

Aters

Xillia looks better imo. It has more complex character models and scenery, higher resolution textures, and higher polygon counts. Vesperia's cel-shaded look is nice but it is a product of its era in sheer fidelity.

I agree. Never get the love for ToV's graphic. I think ToX looks perfectly fine, and I dig the art direction too.

Kaldaien has been doing a ton of digging through Zestiria and Symphonia and he's said a few times now that it's very clear that Zestiria's engine is another segment in a tall tower of duct-tape starting with Symphonia's.

Who? Regardless, I'd love to learn more about this. Honestly, given how horrendous Zestiria's engine was it wouldn't surprise me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
One thing that needs to be made clear, is that when people say Vesperia looks better, its only down to the art style, bright colors and fixed camera angles you know? In terms of technicals, Xillia is far superior in terms of poly counts, character detail and world size.

Its just that because they have a 3D world instead of a fixed one, its hard to make a cohesive world that doesn't make it obvious that the same assets are being reused over and over.

Even the world map in earlier games was just a clever way of hiding single areas behind a huge flat 3D space with monsters on it.

If every Xillia area in all directions looked as beautiful as this

Tales-of-Xillia-04.jpeg

There would be no question of which looked better.

One thing that needs to be made clear, is that when people say Vesperia looks better, its only down to the art style, bright colors and fixed camera angles you know? In terms of technicals, Xillia is far superior in terms of poly counts, character detail and world size.

Its just that because they have a 3D world instead of a fixed one, its hard to make a cohesive world that doesn't make it obvious that the same assets are being reused over and over.

Even the world map in earlier games was just a clever way of hiding single areas behind a huge flat 3D space with monsters on it.

Tales-of-Xillia-04.jpeg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbut it didn't, and that's where the problems lie. It's much harder to find a bad shot of V, but with the X's, you just walk outside of town.

That much is obvious, the people who complain about the way the Xillia games look are the ones that played it and know that 70% of the time you're looking at drab copypasted port towns and valleys.

Pancake Mix

That much is obvious, the people who complain about the way the Xillia games look are the ones that played it and know that 70% of the time you're looking at drab copypasted port towns and valleys.

Weird assumption.

The reality is that the Tales mothership titles from Xillia and on and have had more complex environments, better geometry, and richer textures. Vesperia hides some of its limitations with fixed camera angles and a low-fi world map with nothing on it. If you prefer that, that's fine and it's a matter of opinion, but give me a break.

My 2cents is that Xillia definitely looks better, more detail, better animations, and so forth. Versperia will always looks solid though thanks to a simpler character design with a solid AA + a fuck ton of post effect blur to make it smooth and buttery looking.

Would love to see more tales games use the softening techniques (tone down the blur a bit) just to make it a bit smoother these days. The jaggy edges and sharp/flat textures are a weak point of the newer titles.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Xillia and onward is more technically advanced than Vesperia, but Vesperia's high quality, unique environments and reliance on fixed camera angles makes it more easily palatable and consistently visually appealing. The fixed camera changes SO much, as it allows for much stronger area design and artistic direction.

It doesn't matter if you make a really good cheeseburger if the store across the street sells one almost as good in batches of five for the same price, and in a prettier box. That's what the newer Tales are to Vesperia.

Weird assumption.

The reality is that the Tales mothership titles from Xillia and on and have had more complex environments, better geometry, and richer textures. Vesperia hides some of its limitations with fixed camera angles and a low-fi world map with nothing on it. If you prefer that, that's fine and it's a matter of opinion, but give me a break.

I'd like to see it as Vesperia making the best out of the presentation style it had while Xillia mostly squandered it. I wasn't the least bit surprised to find out that Xillia was a rushed product. I don't think that many people would be putting Vesperia on a pedestal over Xillia and on if they took a real advantage of the increase in fidelity offered. I would take Vesperia's world map over a series of ports and valleys that look exactly the same any day.

As for Zestiria, that game tried to introduce a seamless world, which sounds great on paper, but in execution all it did was cause some bad compromises in other areas.

Pancake Mix

Rokorou's TV spot is up now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO9jI_4pG1s

One more thing about Vesperia's visuals, the PS3 port runs at a sub-HD resolution and an odd one at that, 1280x576.

TOV_RES_PS3.jpg.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tales-of-vesperia-showdown-blog-entry

I love Vesperia to death and I really dig the cel-shaded look, but it does have simplistic models and sparse environments in every sense of the word, and the PS3 port was sub-HD. If you prefer Vesperia's look, that's fine, but technically Berseria is a lot better.

I definitely appreciate that the PS4 and PC versions now run at 60fps at all times. I'm very interested in seeing what the next Tales made exclusively for next gen will look like, provided that they take their time to give things more substance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I definitely appreciate that the PS4 and PC versions now run at 60fps at all times. I'm very interested in seeing what the next Tales made exclusively for next gen will look like, provided that they take their time to give things more substance.

UGH. Just the fact that Baba casually mentioned that this is the last one for ps3 gives me mega krunk.

We already see a good increase in IQ and fidelity with Berseria with 1080p and 60fps, i hope they make some decent changes to their engine to take advantage of the significantly increased ceiling...but just to know that PS3 is not going to be apart of the equation is just great

Zolo

So this is essentially Tales of Berserk right? With the recent outpour of Berserk media, I expect proper Berserk alt costumes for the cast.

Tales-of-Xillia-04.jpeg

It's seriously bizarre how they put their all into making the first area into a visual stunner, and then...proceed to make everything else as drab, boring and copypasted as much as possible.

Xillia and onward is more technically advanced than Vesperia, but Vesperia's high quality, unique environments and reliance on fixed camera angles makes it more easily palatable and consistently visually appealing. The fixed camera changes SO much, as it allows for much stronger area design and artistic direction.

It doesn't matter if you make a really good cheeseburger if the store across the street sells one almost as good in batches of five for the same price, and in a prettier box. That's what the newer Tales are to Vesperia.

Pretty much. There's undoubtedly elements of Xillia/Zestiria that're more advanced than Vesperia (the character models, for one thing), but it doesn't matter when they're so banal.

aravuus

Xillia 1 was great. Everything after that... Not so much. But I'm very, very cautiously optimistic, cause this does look pretty good.

Heyt

Banned
Xian Du is probably the most pretty Tales town ever and that was on Xillia. And detail wise both Xillias and Zestiria blow it away without any fancy tricks and using a much demanding and up to date cam system.

Zolo

Nothing about Tales of Zestiria really appealed to me visually or from what I heard, but I'm up for a good revenge tale.

aitakute

Who will be the last boss this time? Artorius? Or the last battle will be
Full dragon transformed Laphicet vs full demon form Velvet?

kewlmyc

Someone said that episode 5+6 of the anime will be about Berseria

Hopefully it's fitted into the plot seamlessly and doesn't come off as awkward advertisement. Kinda how some shows/games will have a new character show up, kick everyone's ass, then leave just to conveniently get their own spinoff.

Some Nobody

tales_of_xillia_14.jpg

tales-of-vesperia-xbox-360-843.jpg

Nope. Still makes plains look incredibly barren and as boring as Xillia, plus there's that identical odd "fuzziness" I used to see in mid-2000's anime that I can't stand. Xillia's not perfect, but it's improving. Dropping PS3 from things should make the next mainline title even better.

Top Bottom