• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Berseria 5th trailer

jaina

Finally I know how she got that hand. Hope the other characters are fun, so far none of them has caught my eye yet.

Game is looking better and better with every trailer, but I still can't help but to feel cautiously optimistic. Hope the impressions are good next month.

I wonder what took so damn long to just show what Artorius looked like. Also, I never liked that whole "MC bonds with person who is the spitting image of a dead loved one" trope.

Ydelnae

Well, Velvet's sister being sacrificed early on seems like a good way to set the story on motion. I have the theory that this game is going to be both a prequel and a sequel to Zestiria.

Ydelnae

Isn't Tales of Festival going on right now?

Yep. Doesn't seem kike something major will be announced this year, though. Zestiria PS4 was just released there and Berseria is releasing next month, I don't think they will announce the next mainline title now.

kewlmyc

Yep. Doesn't seem kike something major will be announced this year, though. Zestiria PS4 was just released there and Berseria is releasing next month, I don't think they will announce the next mainline title now.

Wait, they released the PS4 version of Zestiria in Japan?

DigtialT

Still no info on the character progression system, I hope it's not a liner level system like abyss. Also no equipment based skills like Zestiria.

Heyt

Banned
I really liked the world, characters, lore and strong direction ToZ had. The thing I like most about this game is that is related to it. But it feels like it's trying too hard for it's own sake. Velvet's, Eizen and Elanor's designs are great but the other characters are all over the place. No more seamless transition and a more teenage angst story really undewhelms my expectations of this game after how ToZ was able to be jolly and light hearted as well as dark, as messy as it was. The battle system looks alright but the constant free roaming feels very out of character for the series... I like how it retained it 2D movement for all this years.

I'm pretty sure I will like this game (and sure as well people will like it more than ToZ wich everyone loves to hate) but after the passion of ToZ for classic good vibe stories and experimental systems, all this edgyness paired with this weird mix of ToX and ToG systems fees more inmature and safe than ToZ.. Much less exciting to me.

At least all the villains have very nice designs, I gess.

Major Zestiria spoiler:

Velvet's sister getting sacrificed at the start of the Berseria
seems very reminiscent of Michael sacrificing Mikleo (which caused the events of Zestiria).

wrowa

I have a really hard time getting anywhere close to excited for a Tales game after Xillia 1, 2 and Zestiria, but this trailer at least looked somewhat promising.

Heyt

Banned
Major Zestiria spoiler:

seems very reminiscent of Michael sacrificing Mikleo (which caused the events of Zestiria).

ToZ spoiler here too:

The most interesting thing is that
the sacrifice seems to create Maotelus, no less!

kewlmyc

Major Zestiria spoiler:

So her sister becoming a seraph seems very likely?

BY2K

Membero Americo
This looks really good.

I just hope the systems aren't as big of a mess as Zestiria.

Also, can I make the MC wear those clothes she has at the beginning of the trailer? I think I prefer that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
This looks really good.

Also, can I make the MC wear those clothes she has at the beginning of the trailer? I think I prefer that.
It's a Tales game so I'm sure it's some sort of unlockable/pre-order bonus/DLC.

I haven't played a Tales of... game since Eternia/Destiny 2. I dabbled in Vesperia some, but never finished it.

I think I'll get this launch day. It looks promising, but from what I've been reading they really pump out the micro transactions these days.

Ydelnae

This looks really good.

Well, they already announced like $60 worth of DLC costumes so if you don't like the main costume and that outfit isn't available I'm sure you will have plenty to choose lol

Dark_castle

Game is looking better and better with every trailer, but I still can't help but to feel cautiously optimistic. Hope the impressions are good next month.

I wonder what took so damn long to just show what Artorius looked like. Also, I never liked that whole "MC bonds with person who is the spitting image of a dead loved one" trope.

Impression? It's a modern Tales game. You played one, you've played them all.

Zedark

Whoa...
HYYYYPE!!!

Looks exceptionally good, glad to be able to say that for the first time since Vesperia despite enjoying all Tales games in between.

It seems we are getting a much more intricate and emotional story than ever, hope it will be as good as Vesperia's (which is not that good when compared to the storytelling masterpieces of our time, but is good enough to settle the series' brilliant gameplay in a believable context).

This looks really good.

It looks like the type of costume that you'd unlock by doing a side quest. Like Rose and her
Scattered Bones costume
in Zestiria.

Mifec

Arthur nii-san sure has a good villain VA going on in the Japanese VA, nice.

That was a lot of focus on the villain, huh.

She's been screaming his name in every trailer so far haha, we were bound to see him eventually.

Impression? It's a modern Tales game. You played one, you've played them all.

That's exactly the problem, I want to see if the Tales Team is actually serious about getting out of the slump this series has been in since Xillia. So far, at the very least it looks like they're well aware of what Zesteria's flaws were.

Lucreto

Looks okay but I have to wait for the player impressions.

I hope they abandon the mess they made with shops, weapon systems in Zestiria.

Mifec

That's exactly the problem, I want to see if the Tales Team is actually serious about getting out of the slump this series has been in since Xillia. So far, at the very least it looks like they're well aware of what Zesteria's flaws were.

Well they changed the combat and the skill system is kinda like Vesperia, where you learn them off equipment.

squall23

So I'm not the only one that feels this way. I mean, it'd be a lie to say I didn't have fun with the Tales games after Xillia (with the exception of Hearts, I still like the DS version of that more), but it just didn't give me as much enjoyment as the games prior to them.

I still haven't played a Tales game that's more fun that Destiny DC and I probably never will.

DMiz

Definitely one of the better trailers!

I'm a little disappointed with the design of the 'big bad'. It looks quite similar to Van Grants from ToA. I don't have an issue with the role or the background to the character, but was hoping for something a little more visually unique. Oh, well.

On a separate note, I think one of the few complaints that I still have with this game is that it still doesn't look as 'impressive' as Vesperia. To be honest, none of the games have really caught my attention visually as much as ToV has. I recall once reading a rumour/story posted on GAF stating that Microsoft pitched in a bit of help with respect to the visuals department to assert its exclusivity when it was first released, but wasn't able to find anything on Google - can anybody confirm or cite this? Just genuinely curious, as it would explain, perhaps, why the games haven't taken on a higher-budget approach to the graphics for what seems like a very long time.

Copper

Already looks more interesting than Zesteria. Even though they are set in the same world.
I really wish they would use a new graphic engine though. That's the same one they've been using since Xillia. Surprised to see this is coming out on PS3 as well.

So I'm not the only one that feels this way. I mean, it'd be a lie to say I didn't have fun with the Tales games after Xillia (with the exception of Hearts, I still like the DS version of that more), but it just didn't give me as much enjoyment as the games prior to them.

I still haven't played a Tales game that's more fun that Destiny DC and I probably never will.

It's not uncommon to hear somebody say that these games have had a drop in quality after Vesperia or Graces f. I'm currently enjoying Innocence R on Vita because it employs some sensibilities that the series used to have before Xillia.

Zhao_Yun

After being disappointed with Xillia, Xillia 2 and Zestiria, I actually wasn't that much interested in Berseria, but the changes to the combat system sound intriguing and the last trailers didn't look bad at all. Maybe I'm in again. Seems like I just can't let go of this series. ;)

Biggest bummer is that Go Shiina is not involved with the soundtrack this time. The music was definitely the best part of Zestiria.

X2X0

Damit I wish I didn't see this one, it spoils the game greatly ):
plus I think the one in the trailer is her brother not sister.

Rpgmonkey

Guess I should finish the OT. :p

I'm reasonably excited to get this next month. So far it's looking like it could be an above-average entry and hitting a lot of the right notes. But we'll see, pretty spotty record lately...

aitakute

Looks okay but I have to wait for the player impressions.

I hope they abandon the mess they made with shops, weapon systems in Zestiria.

Most impressions from the demo were very good though. And yes, it's like FF9 with the weapon system now

Heyt

Banned
Revenge is a great motivator. Gonna wait for some impressions.

What happens is (ToZ spoilers)
Velvet's brother is transformed into a the Seraph/Malak Laphicet by Artorius as he dies
just like in ToZ with
Milkeo or the Seraphim that guard the trials

X2X0

speaking of Tales of Festival I'm hoping they will announce a western release of Tales of Innocence R for vita or even a remaster edition for ps4.

speaking of Tales of Festival I'm hoping they will announce a western release of Tales of Innocence R for vita or even a remaster edition for ps4.

I doubt they would announce localizations at Tales Fest, I hope Innocence R comes over for you guys at some point. Like I said in an earlier post it is quite good.

Byvar

This looks really good! The past parts especially. Artorius looks like a good villain (though his face and the way he impales people on his sword are kind of like Sephiroth). Looking forward to this a lot!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The game keeps looking better and better. Hope the game delivers. I actually enjoyed Zestiria so I dont have much issues with the series yet. I hope the camera doesnt fuck up like Zestiria did and the skill system seems to be good in this one from what I've heard. Also the story seems to be more mature with contents which I enjoyed in Xillia 2. Would be nice if it didnt take a sequel/prequel to do that in the future.

mdzapeer

The dugeons are going to be shit again in this, I will pass. I dont want play a 2016 game with levels which look like they are from the PS1 or PS2.

I have seen better levels in PS1 games, see Wild ARMs 2 for example. Xenogears as well.

Top Bottom