• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pqper Mario: Color Splash - Hyper Japan Festival 2016 demonstration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uhqteKlYUo

Areas shown are Bloo Bay Beach and The Crimson Tower

Information breakdown (new information is bolded):

- You can get paint back by hitting objects in the overworld, such as flowers and trees

- Cards can be used without being painted, but at the expense of being weaker

- Cards disappear after one use

- You can buy cards while in battle

- You'll have to go back to previously completed levels because of new events happening

- Development team bought different kinds of paper at a shop to study them for the graphic style

- "Lots of references to Super Mario Bros. 3 in the game"

- Huey was turned from a 3D character to a 2D one by Mario

- Up on the control pad to talk to Huey

- Y to use the cutout ability

- Finding hidden Luigi locations gives rewards

- Ability to use several cards in one turn does not require to use the Battle Spin

- Messing up the Action Command in battle also means losing a lot of paint at once (while doing perfect Action Commands will reward Mario with some paint)

- 1-UP Mushroom is used to restore paint reserves

- You can use Thing cards without worrying because replicas can easily be found in the overworld

- Action Commands for Things use the touch screen

- Things become "squeezed" into cards immediately (no need to backtrack to turn them into attacks)

- Main town is called Port Prisma

edit: somebody fix the title please

_woLf

I was really hoping that the cards weren't one time use since the paint mechanic is a thing.

I cannot believe they went with a double consumable battle system. After everything people have said about it previously.

Ugh.

I was really hoping that the cards weren't one time use since the paint mechanic is a thing.

I cannot believe they went with a double consumable battle system. After everything people have said about it previously.

Ugh.

It's a triple consumable battle system, paint, cards and coins are all effectively consumable items.

Ugh.

At least they can be replaced while still in battle after all. But this leads to there being three consumable mechanics that rely on each other - limited amount of cards which require limited amount of paint to be used properly and that require limited amount of coins to be replaced. Although it doesn't sound horrible to me - the amount of cards one can carry sounds larger than in Sticker Star, coins are abundant, cards do not necessarily require paint; and I assume that if you run out of coins you'll be given out random cards in battle like in Sticker Star. Because paint can be refilled with action commands and cards can be bought again while in battle, it sounds like the only things to worry about are coins and timing action commands correctly.

It's more complex than PM1 and TTYD in some ways at least (but with the downside of Mario fighting by himself). Instead of having just HP, FP and Star Points, you have HP, paint, amount of attacks and coins to buy new attacks & use the battle spinner. Fighting also gives EXP of some sort too (although only the amount of paint gets upgraded apparently).

This basically solves most of my complaints of the battle system. Battles can level up paint reserves and you can buy cards in battle so coins won or found help out in battle so battles are more worth fighting, yet nothing is stopping you from a low paint run which is cool too.

My last battle complaint is needing special cards for boss battles. Nothing worse than you cant beat this boss cuz you missed an item. Being able to buy the special cards with enough coins during battle would fix this complaint for me though.

Sadly it doesn't fix the lack of unique and original characters, story, or settings but it still looks like a fun adventure game that I think will be a lot of fun.

maxcriden

Ugh.

It's a triple consumable battle system, paint, cards and coins are all effectively consumable items.

But, on the bright side, you can earn XP essentially by increasing your paint total, right?

maxcriden

This basically solves most of my complaints of the battle system. Battles can level up paint reserves and you can buy cards in battle so coins won or found help out in battle so battles are more worth fighting, yet nothing is stopping you from a low paint run which is cool too.

My last battle complaint is needing special cards for boss battles. Nothing worse than you cant beat this boss cuz you missed an item. Being able to buy the special cards with enough coins during battle would fix this complaint for me though.

Sadly it doesn't fix the lack of unique and original characters, story, or settings but it still looks like a fun adventure game that I think will be a lot of fun.

Do we know for sure you will need special cards in boss battles a la some of the Sticker Star bosses?

TI82

Banned
And Nintendo doesn't learn from the issues with Sticker Star but instead doubles down on them.

Good grief, wasting one of their best IPs like this.

Why would the name change? It's still Paper and Mario.

If you guys don't like the new direction just ignored it. They don't owes us a Thousand year door game.

Bakkus

Why would the name change? It's still Paper and Mario.

If you guys don't like the new direction just ignored it. They don't owes us a Thousand year door game.

People like you are the reason Nintendo are able to get away with stuff like this.

MrBadger

I wonder if there's a reason why they've not revealed Bowser as the villain yet. Although I'm kinda expecting that he shows up late-game with some quip about how he's always behind it and it's getting old, followed by the trope being played completely straight

maxcriden

Yes because the Morton fight at E3 required the use of a Fire Extinguisher card

Oh gotcha. Thanks for the info. I didn't watch the E3 footage so I didn't know. I wonder if any or all will be beatable otherwise. I only recently found out that in Sticker Star it was possible to beat one or moee of the bosses without its seemingly requisite Thing Sticker.

Velcro Fly

Oh gotcha. Thanks for the info. I didn't watch the E3 footage so I didn't know. I wonder if any or all will be beatable otherwise. I only recently found out that in Sticker Star it was possible to beat one or moee of the bosses without its seemingly requisite Thing Sticker.

It looks like it is not the case here (at leas for the Morton fight) since his fire attack did like 95% of Mario's HP in one attack.

Kaisos

People like you are the reason Nintendo are able to get away with stuff like this.

Ah yes, game designers should only make the games that people on the Internet want instead of what they want to make. That sounds like a healthy industry

Rehynn

The hate for modern Paper Mario titles is a meme at this point. No fucking way does this game deserve so many dislikes on YouTube, I'm sure people just click thumbs down without watching a second of footage.

I'll be the first to admit that Sticker Star was flawed in its battle mechanics, but the game still had a lot of charm and this one seems like an improvement in every respect.

If they can make battles worthwhile once again, then this could be an excellent title.

I'm confused. Are you saying that we do deserve a Thousand year game or that we shouldn't ignore what we don't like to get what we want?

I'm always on the Dev team side. Let them make what they want. If they feel Paper Mario should go to a new direction, so be it. Nintendo doesn't owe me anything. If I don't like what they make. I don't buy it. Simple as that.

Considering the backstory of Sticker Star's development involved them being told to throw everything they'd done up to that point out, I don't think "I'm with what the developers wanted to do" is the best line of argument. It wouldn't surprise me if there's at least a few devs at Intelligent Systems frustrated at how watered down theu have to make these games now since Sticker Star sold well.

I can sympathise with people rolling their eyes at the hyperbole, since yeah, it's just VIDEOGAMES, but maaaan. I gave Sticker Star a chance, played it through to completion and thought it was a truly abysmal experience. I still enjoyed Super Paper Mario despite that game being (an arguably bigger) departure from the first two games, so I don't think I'm averse to change.

Color Splash being a direct sequel to SS that already doesn't seem to be fixing much with it's troublesome gameplay mechanics that let the former down so hard gives me ample reason to think this looks bad. If they truly want to do away with stories and characters, they're not nearly doing enough in the other areas to pick up that slack.

suaveric

Considering the backstory of Sticker Star's development involved them being told to throw everything they'd done up to that point out, I don't think "I'm with what the developers wanted to do" is the best line of argument. It wouldn't surprise me if there's at least a few devs at Intelligent Systems frustrated at how watered down theu have to make these games now since Sticker Star sold well.

I can sympathise with people rolling their eyes at the hyperbole, since yeah, it's just VIDEOGAMES, but maaaan. I gave Sticker Star a chance, played it through to completion and thought it was a truly abysmal experience. I still enjoyed Super Paper Mario despite that game being (an arguably bigger) departure from the first two games, so I don't think I'm averse to change.

Color Splash being a direct sequel to SS that already doesn't seem to be fixing much with it's troublesome gameplay mechanics that let the former down so hard gives me ample reason to think this looks bad. If they truly want to do away with stories and characters, they're not nearly doing enough in the other areas to pick up that slack.

Did Sticker Star sell well? I was under the impression that it didn't set the world on fire.

Looking good. Hopefully it retains the non-linearity and lack of handholding of Sticker Star.

Only troublesome thing I see so far is the Morton fight, which looks unwinnable without the Thing sticker.

aBarreras

Did Sticker Star sell well? I was under the impression that it didn't set the world on fire.

i think its the second better sold paper mario after super paper mario, so at least it sold more than the first 2

ALSO

im really liking what im reading, i dont know why everybody is so doom and gloom for this game

Looking good. Hopefully it retains the non-linearity and lack of handholding of Sticker Star.

Only troublesome thing I see so far is the Morton fight, which looks unwinnable without the Thing sticker.

Yeah, I really liked that Sticker Star gave a decent amount of freedom in progression which was perfectly fine because of how stickers were balanced and something that RPG game designers really struggle to balance without resorting to things like enemy scaling. This is generally why I like semi linear JRPG adventures over outright open world.

Sticker Star had good and interesting ideas, just not as well executed as they could have been, which matches my opinion on the first paper mario actually.

Ugh.

Let go of your hording needs. Use your items. Free yourself of needing to "save something for a hard fight" that never comes. Use em. It feels good.

Sticker Star may be my favorite Paper Mario. Thousand Year Door is my least favorite. How does this make you feel??

Let go of your hording needs. Use your items. Free yourself of needing to "save something for a hard fight" that never comes. Use em. It feels good.

Reminds me of Fire Emblem Hoarding, ah, those were some good times. I don't mind the changes in Fates, but I certainly hope they don't abandon either idea.

Top Bottom