• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pqper Mario: Color Splash - Hyper Japan Festival 2016 demonstration

Yeah, I really liked that Sticker Star gave a decent amount of freedom in progression which was perfectly fine because of how stickers were balanced and something that RPG game designers really struggle to balance without resorting to things like enemy scaling.

Sticker Star had good and interesting ideas, just not as well executed as they could have been, which matches my opinion on the first paper mario actually.
Are you talking about how partners were a bit of an afterthought in the battle system for the first game? Because that's my main reason for sometimes not wanting to replay. They had a attacks but that's it. Actually now that I think about it. The battle system was simplistic for Mario as well.

Are you talking about how partners were a bit of an afterthought in the battle system for the first game? Because that's my main reason for sometimes not wanting to replay. They had a attacks but that's it. Actually now that I think about it. The battle system was simplistic for Mario as well.

And then they ratcheted up the depth and increased the bizarre situations that Mario was in for the sequel. Well, not unlike this game. I don't think it'll be quite as interesting as TTYD was a sequel, but so far, the progression from similar games in this series, is well, similar.

Astral Dog

People like you are the reason Nintendo are able to get away with stuff like this.

its kinda tricky, PMSS got good reviews and very good sales, after all.

even if it was just a shell of a game,IS have been trying to change the formula since Super Paper Mario.

Currently the battle system is improving but the lack of original characters and plot is whats going to hurt most in the eyes of fanboys

Why would the name change? It's still Paper and Mario.

If you guys don't like the new direction just ignored it. They don't owes us a Thousand year door game.

It's a consumer product. We're the people who should most be talking about how much we dislike the product they've made.

even if it was just a shell of a game,IS have been trying to change the formula since Super Paper Mario.

Currently the battle system is improving but the lack of original characters and plot is whats going to hurt most in the eyes of fanboys

It got acceptable sales - the game sold not much more than TTYD on a console with more sold and at a lower price point.

aBarreras

I mean we got posts like this, that says that the much of the problems with sticker star are being addressed and somewhat fixed.

This basically solves most of my complaints of the battle system. Battles can level up paint reserves and you can buy cards in battle so coins won or found help out in battle so battles are more worth fighting, yet nothing is stopping you from a low paint run which is cool too.

My last battle complaint is needing special cards for boss battles. Nothing worse than you cant beat this boss cuz you missed an item. Being able to buy the special cards with enough coins during battle would fix this complaint for me though.

Sadly it doesn't fix the lack of unique and original characters, story, or settings but it still looks like a fun adventure game that I think will be a lot of fun.

and then we got posts like this that said the excact opposite

And Nintendo doesn't learn from the issues with Sticker Star but instead doubles down on them.

Good grief, wasting one of their best IPs like this.

the only difference is that the second post didnt explain anything about why he feels that they didnt learned from the issues and feedback..

who i am supposed to believe? ah i know, the one who is not Ti82

Plenty of people have given detailed explanations in the past about their misgivings for this system. Please don't pretend like you're unbiased while you prop up a detailed post versus an undetailed post.

Plenty of people have given detailed explanations in the past about their misgivings for this system. Please don't pretend like you're unbiased while you prop up a detailed post versus an undetailed post.

A vast Majority haven't theorized what the systems in this game mean for player behavior however, and simply resort to the same criticisms of Sticker Star. I understand that these people are jaded but I can't help but feel that the cynicism is creeping into undue criticism.

aBarreras

well, im not unbiased, because i liked the past games, so im giving this a chance. so no, im not pretending like im "unbiased".

i really want this game to be good, and what im reading sounds good, and it seems that they are addressing much of the problems that sticker star had. so yeah. anything else?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So lots of people have been complaining that this game plays too similar to Sticker Star.

But does anyone else have a problem with the way the game looks? It seems quite different from all the previous PM games.

TrueBlue

This thread is going to get needlessly confrontational quickly.

Aesthetically, this is the best Paper Mario has ever looked - just a gorgeous game.

EDIT: The style is different though, with the focus on paper as an aesthetic base.

Biske

Let go of your hording needs. Use your items. Free yourself of needing to "save something for a hard fight" that never comes. Use em. It feels good.

Sticker Star may be my favorite Paper Mario. Thousand Year Door is my least favorite. How does this make you feel??

Thousand year door is something amazing, but I agree Sticker Star was awesome, I loved everything. And using stickers was awesome, never felt I was lacking a sticker, and if so, just go get it. eh.

So lots of people have been complaining that this game plays too similar to Sticker Star.

But does anyone else have a problem with the way the game looks? It seems quite different from all the previous PM games.

I don't think anyone, even people who do not like almost everything about this game and the direction it's taking such as myself, can argue that the game isn't visually gorgeous.

It looks really nice.

I mean we got posts like this, that says that the much of the problems with sticker star are being addressed and somewhat fixed.

and then we got posts like this that said the excact opposite

the only difference is that the second post didnt explain anything about why he feels that they didnt learned from the issues and feedback..

who i am supposed to believe? ah i know, the one who is not Ti82

The issue I find with the game is the lack of diverse character designs. Toads everywhere. But the gameplay seems to make Sticker Star's concept actually decent and they're getting creative with the areas and story this time (Peach not getting kidnapped as far as we know, for instance).

Color Splash is to Sticker Star what TTYD was to Paper Mario 64.

Oh gotcha. Thanks for the info. I didn't watch the E3 footage so I didn't know. I wonder if any or all will be beatable otherwise. I only recently found out that in Sticker Star it was possible to beat one or moee of the bosses without its seemingly requisite Thing Sticker.

None of the bosses in Sticker Star required Thing stickers to beat. However, here Morton's attack takes away most of Mario's HP. But I assume it is possible to cool down Morton's hammer with Ice Flowers too.

Also, one thing I really like about Paper Mario as a series is how it always lands the ending, always. Needless to say, I'm quite excited to see how this game goes down.

I think the graphics look pretty good, but Sticker Star was a pleasant game to look at too with enjoyable music.

It didn't prevent it from being a completely horrid game.

It's a consumer product. We're the people who should most be talking about how much we dislike the product they've made.
Well going to Color Splash from Sticker Star makes it pretty clear they didn't give a shit when people criticized Sticker Star, so it's not like it's going to help here either. It will bomb and the series will fold for good, because when you completely change a series' genre for no reason other than to make it different from another series then you've pretty clearly run out of reasons for it to continue to exist.

2nd best selling game in the franchise.

You can thank the 3DS' install base for that. I don't think that the sales number for SS are indicative of fans preferring that type of game over the previous two. If a "true" Paper Mario game had been released in the stead of SS, it would have sold just as much, if not more.

Yeah, I never got the claims of sales for Sticker Star as a defense that it worked or was a good game. Ignoring the enormous ad populum fallacy of indicating something is good because it is popular, wasn't the number of 3DS' significantly more than N64s or Gamecubes. And ignoring even that, the timeframe or console life point those games came out during?

If you want to defend Nintendo's decision that they moved more in Sticker Star's direction due to sales and diversifying the game series to maximize profits or keep the fans buying two separate games then go right ahead. If you want to defend their decision by saying that Sticker Star was more popular or well-regarded...you might have a harder time arguing it.

Yukinari

The only positive thing i can say is that new footage or details about Color Splash keep me engaged and curious but nothing about Federation Force does. Im ready for the scathing reviews from Arlo, Gamexplain, Johnny and Completionist.

Then again Completionist was a huge fanboy over Star Fox Zero so maybe he wont be critical of Nintendo products.

Bakkus

Well I had to get out after my original reply. I see I got some responses so here we go!!...

Christ this response. Lol. "Get away with stuff like this" as if they've murdered your child.

Welcome to the internet, where quotes often don't have the same interpretation as you see similar to in real life. So neither you or brinstar have anything to be scared about in regards to me and other ex fans of this series.

Ah yes, game designers should only make the games that people on the Internet want instead of what they want to make. That sounds like a healthy industry

George Lucas liked this comment. By the way, that's the person Miyamoto has become the gaming version of for almost a decade.

I'm confused. Are you saying that we do deserve a Thousand year game or that we shouldn't ignore what we don't like to get what we want?

I'm always on the Dev team side. Let them make what they want. If they feel Paper Mario should go to a new direction, so be it. Nintendo doesn't owe me anything. If I don't like what they make. I don't buy it. Simple as that.

Yes i'm saying we as fans of Nintendo and long time fans who has supported them even during the Wii U years deserves better than to have a dump taken on a once really clever and grandiose franchise. Ripping a part everything the series used to be praised for.

Sticker Star may be my favorite Paper Mario. Thousand Year Door is my least favorite. How does this make you feel??
Why do you ask this? Do you have an interest in wanting me to diss your game design preferences?

It did not get good reviews. Those are bad scores for a Mario game. Any reason you said fanboys instead of fans at the end?

Draconian

You can thank the 3DS' install base for that. I don't think that the sales number for SS are indicative of fans preferring that type of game over the previous two. If a "true" Paper Mario game had been released in the stead of SS, it would have sold just as much, if not more.

This sounds nice, but there's no way to prove it.

It is fixing many of them, though. It's just that for most "fixing" would seem to entail "making a completely different game".

'Cause it's not The Two Thousand Year Door.

No, because it throws away what made Paper Mario amazing: The story, the cast, the world map. This and the useless battle system.

Including the visuals and the humor? Because then the Paper Mario series was never appealing to you to begin with.

Yeah it's not like people ever played the old Paper Mario games for the gameplay or interesting characters or fun little stories. That quote from that IGN article last month about how they're only emphasizing humor and puzzle solving in the newer games because "that's what was good from the old games" makes me think Nintendo doesn't really get what actually made the Paper Mario games good.

Including the visuals and the humor? Because then the Paper Mario series was never appealing to you to begin with.

Read my other posts, clever boy.

The humor is not a copy of earlier Paper Marios either, it's much more in line with Mario and Luigi and current Treehouse localization. Look at the Morton PETAL STOOL lines or the little shit the Koopas say in the middle of battle as asides. Just two examples of the humor that many people would not find particularly amusing.

Sendou

Waiting to hear impressions on the final product but at least it looks good <3 _ <3

And like yeah it's not TTYD2. It's not in the cards (heh) and it's time to get over it.

No, because it throws away what made Paper Mario amazing: The story, the cast, the world map. This and the useless battle system.
You see this is very interesting.

This is exactly what people that like the Legend of the 7 Stars flavor say about the Mario RPGs after they became Paper. For them, gameplay and mechanics became better but story, cast and world map took a dive in comparison.

Maybe that's the solution? Drop the Paper 64 and Sticker Star styles and return to the Super Mario Rpg one. That would be an interesting proposal for a 3rd party collaboraion.

And it is a shame that every Color Splah thread degrade into this. Game looks beautiful and seems to be making some amendments. Let's wait and see for once, since at this stage complains doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything.

ar4757

Ah yes, game designers should only make the games that people on the Internet want instead of what they want to make. That sounds like a healthy industry

We don't even know that Intelligent Systems itself wants to have no good characters. They could still hr restricted from doing so

Yukinari

I hope the next God of War turns into a wacky puzzle adventure game with none of the gameplay that people enjoyed the series for and has extremely lifeless characters with no story. Im sure Sony fans would definitely not freak the fuck out.

Zeeman

I hope the next God of War turns into a wacky puzzle adventure game with none of the gameplay that people enjoyed the series for and has extremely lifeless characters with no story. Im sure Sony fans would definitely not freak the fuck out.

This, but unironically

A vast Majority haven't theorized what the systems in this game mean for player behavior however, and simply resort to the same criticisms of Sticker Star. I understand that these people are jaded but I can't help but feel that the cynicism is creeping into undue criticism.
It's pretty obvious what this game is. In this case, cynicism is rightly due.

Yeah, this series is dead to me.

Fair enough for those that like this, but I really miss what Paper Mario used to be, and I'm never going to he OK with these games that share nothing but a title and broad aesthetic.

Really hope this sells badly enough that they just shit can them. I'm aware of how selfish that is, but I get no benefit from them existing, whereas never seeing a new 'Paper Mario' getting announced will save me feeling disappointed and sad at being reminded that a once brilliant masterpiece of a Comedy RPG franchise is dead.

Yukinari

I assume youve read the Iwata Asks for sticker star and seen the gamexplain interview for Color Splash. The series identity is now about the paper aesthetic and whatever wacky gimmicks they can come up with. If you dont like our vision please go play the M&L series which is nothing like Paper Mario.

People like you are the reason Nintendo are able to get away with stuff like this.

lol

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif

Thud

I assume youve read the Iwata Asks for sticker star and seen the gamexplain interview for Color Splash. The series identity is now about the paper aesthetic and whatever wacky gimmicks they can come up with. If you dont like our vision please go play the M&L series which is nothing like Paper Mario.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

People not liking it is also fine.

However it's getting a bit stale coming into paper mario threads.

Yukinari

And there's nothing wrong with that.

People not liking it is also fine.

However it's getting a bit stale coming into paper mario threads.

When the game comes out and quietly dies then the paper mario threads can end for good. Im sure all the regulars to these threads are tired of explaining why Sticker Star is a flawed shallow experience masquerading behind pretty visuals and good music.

Top Bottom