• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pqper Mario: Color Splash - Hyper Japan Festival 2016 demonstration

fernoca

When the game comes out and quietly dies then the paper mario threads can end for good. Im sure all the regulars to these threads are tired of explaining why Sticker Star is a flawed shallow experience masquerading behind pretty visuals and good music.
This game "dying" wouldn't mean or do much.
Sticker Star detractors will continue talking about the series been ruined, Nintendo will most likely announce a game for whatever NX is in a year or two, and it will be trashed because it no longer is what some wanted.

Color Splash will be brought back as another example of how it "died".

Full circle if anything.

Yukinari

This game "dying" wouldn't mean or do much.
Sticker Star detractors will continue talking about the series been ruined, Nintendo will most likely announce a game for whatever NX is in a year or two, and it will be trashed because it no longer is what some wanted.

Color Splash will be brought back as another example of how it "died".

Full circle if anything.

Im gonna hope this time that Intelligent Systems at least waits until Color Splash is released to see the reception by the fanbase before deciding to make a 3rd sticker star for NX. They immediately went to work on CS after development on SS ended which means they had no way of telling if fans were gonna like this formula.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Very happy to hear you can buy cards in battle, running out of stickers in Sticker Star was always frustrating. Though I'm curious to know how that would work, would Mario call a Toad to interrupt battle and sell cards? Perhaps Huey can just make cards for coins or something.

Also very glad you can use multiple cards in 1 turn without the battle spinner. That will make battling a lot more fun than in Sticker Star, and I already loved Sticker Star's battle system.

Not having to backtrack to a place to turn things into cards is another welcome addition. Though I worry about the comment of replicas being found in the overworld easily so it's all right to use them. Wasn't this also the case in Sticker Star?

Overall I like what I'm hearing, and it sounds like the battle system and overall gameplay will be a great improvement on Sticker Star. Considering that its gameplay was what I loved most about Sticker Star and I saw tons of potential in it, this makes me really happy. Can't wait to get this game.

Now hopefully the next game also adds a more interesting world and characters, and I'm set.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Developers make a series that gains a dedicated fanbase -> fans want more -> eventually developers decide to take it in a completely different direction that no one asked for -> fans are pissed -> developers tell fans to fuck off explicitly or not -> 50 GAF threads about it monthly

See: Metroid Prime: Federation Force
See also: Metal Gear Solid 3 Pachinko

Very happy to hear you can buy cards in battle, running out of stickers in Sticker Star was always frustrating. Though I'm curious to know how that would work, would Mario call a Toad to interrupt battle and sell cards? Perhaps Huey can just make cards for coins or something.

Also very glad you can use multiple cards in 1 turn without the battle spinner. That will make battling a lot more fun than in Sticker Star, and I already loved Sticker Star's battle system.

Not having to backtrack to a place to turn things into cards is another welcome addition. Though I worry about the comment of replicas being found in the overworld easily so it's all right to use them. Wasn't this also the case in Sticker Star?

Overall I like what I'm hearing, and it sounds like the battle system and overall gameplay will be a great improvement on Sticker Star. Considering that its gameplay was what I loved most about Sticker Star and I saw tons of potential in it, this makes me really happy. Can't wait to get this game.

Now hopefully the next game also adds a more interesting world and characters, and I'm set.

Only way to get back special attacks in SS was to backtrack to where you found them, or to go back to Decalburg to buy them (but it doesn't count toward the "spend X amount of coins in shops" achievement). Being able to find them more regularly sounds good to me.

Top Bottom